Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 13:57   #346
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Actually that is because it isn't a capacitive (heat sensitive) touch-screen like most phones come with these days. It is a resistive touch-screen panel like the one on really old smart phones that came with a stylus
My bad then! Was not aware of this. Its just that we are too much pampered by the likes of iPhones, the samsungs and all. So when somebody says, its a touch screen our expectation starts way up.
Old 13th October 2015, 14:33   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Elite i20 owners, what about the i20 touch screens? Resistive or capacitive?
Its better than the jazz touchscreen for sure. However the nail approach works on the i20 touchscreen too. Sometimes pressing the small buttons in the map or navigation interface responds much faster if you use your nail end. I haven't yet removed the protective covering over the touchscreen yet, so maybe that's why the conventional touchscreen experience doesn't come. However i do feel it isn't a capacitive unit like smartphones. But, I am no expert on this subject.
Old 16th October 2015, 05:58   #348
BHPian

Voted for the Jazz since it own one Being a Hyundai loyalist since 12 years and I badly needed a change from the same old Kappa unit that I had in my i10. Another issue was the way I was dealt with whenever I use to approach the service center complaining about he rattling steering assembly. My i10 was from a batch that had this infamous steering assembly rattle. I cant even remember how much I spent to rectify the issue

They initially changed the required parts but it was only a matter of few weeks that it started to rattle again. During my entire ownership period and visiting 3 different service centers in Delhi, I only realized one thing; "They don't care". That alone was enough for me to look beyond Hyundai and to add to that, the rising cost of ownership and reliability of parts was a concern for me too. @Admicra rightly pointed out, own a Hyundai for more than 5 years and you'll see how the mechanical parts ware out. You'd suddenly be struck with bills after bills for changing xyz parts that keep getting worn out. I still own my 2003 manufactured Santro and haven't spent the same amount of money that I did on i10. Goes to show the reliability of parts that has deteriorated overtime. I also had the vehicle delivered to me with a rusted gear rod and they never sorted this issue.

I knew Elite i20 was in a different league and went ahead to give it a try. Interior quality is easily a notch or two above Jazz but where it lacked for me is in the ingress and egress department. My mom and dad did not like it at all and the rising window line created a claustrophobic experience for them at the back. Then came the safety, ABS and Airbags. On variant to variant comparison, I got 2 airbags in Jazz and Hyundai was only providing one. What makes Hyundai feel that the passenger side does not require an airbag? Atrocious to say the least. I can get the parking sensors and arm rest fitted outside but can compensate for the missing airbag. The final nail in the coffin came from the dealer's end who did not provide a test drive. I did not even bother asking him why he denied it and left. Regarding the tin can quality of sheet metal @vishnurajanme was referring to, I would recommend trying the top dog twins of MSIL and you'll realize whats described as "TIN CAN". One you try that out, check out the paint quality. No offence meant to MS customers, its just a personal opinion.

Sure no car is perfect, specially in this price bracket; however its a personal choice of who prefers what. For me, the boot, rear space/comfort and safety mattered and I can definitely vouch for the reliability of that i-vtec mill. The debate is further heat up with the launch of Baleno but there seems to be no "obvious choice" since every buyer that heads to the market has different needs. Out of 22k buyers of MS Dzire per month, there are also a few (around 2k) who choose Zest over it. Reason? Different needs and attraction. A feature/product can be useless to me but can be an absolute need for someone else. I compromised a little on interior quality/features just to get that extra airbag and also to get away from Hyundai and their pathetic after sales service experience I've had. That said, it can be an odd experience that I have had as opposed to the thousands who are pleased with their services. Peace!
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 07:22   #349
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Hyundai is getting carried away with the success of I20 and Creta. After hiking the prices just 2 months back (after launch of Jazz), they have now hiked the prices of the I20 again my 9000 across variants before the launch of the Baleno. Don't know whether it's over-confidence or business acumen.Time will tell! But, now prices of the Elite I20 are very very close to Jazz and may be even higher in some petrol variants.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1401436_1.html

Also, the entry of Baleno will have an impact for sure. Will it dethrone the I20? My guess is once the initial hoopla is down, it will settle at the 2nd position behind I20 (provided Hyundai doesn't keep on increasing prices)
Old 16th October 2015, 21:30   #350
BHPian

Finally completed 10K on my i20. Jazz completed 1k

Gonna give the i20 for the annual service and some touch ups in the bumper. :( hope the prices wont be too much. Will share bill here.

Btb honda did some price hike too. Dint anyone came to know about that?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-1445010670336.jpg  

vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 18:43   #351
BHPian

Hi all, I left my i20 for the 10k free service and the bill came around 2.2k. For paid service, they told, the cost will come around 3k for a regular service and 5k for a service involving change of diesel filter. According to them, diesel filter costs around 2k and is the most costly consumable for the i20. This is because i20 uses crdi and the injectors work at a much higher pressure.

So summerizing, for i20 the service cost will come around 3k and 5k at alternate intervals.

For me,
1st year service cost: 2.2k (free service)
2nd year service cost: 4.2k mostly (free service)
3rd year: 3k
4th year: 5k
And likewise...

From today upto 2nd november, there is a mela going at hyundai service centers through out india. Free water wash for all hyundais and free 60 point checkup, 10% discount on labour, offers on rsa, extended warranty etc.

Now about the service, I am heavily satisfied with them except for the follow up calls. I got 3 calls from them from 3 different persons stating that the car is ready after service. 1 from the CC girl, 1 from the service guy and one from the service manager. And the car was stunningly polished as well. Inside and outside.

Btb, got a chance to get inside their body shop/ service hall. I had some scratches in the bumper. Had to take an estimate, and the body shop guy being my dad's friend, directly went inside. I was quite stunned to see that everyone wore mask and covered each other parts of the car using a white paper/cloth while servicing the other part.

Now, one small review about my jazz. As the i20 was being serviced, i had to drive the jazz for quite some long distance of around 220 kms in mixed driving conditions. Some small points about the jazz girl

1. She is ultra silent. I dint quite know the engine was running and had to look on the speedo console to make sure. There is one bad point though. I could head the fan of the jazz kicking in at a very high noise at times. At that time, it seems like the car is losing some voltage. They dont use a relay for that fan, if am not wrong.

2. Good mileage at city speeds. Got 16-17 consistent mileage.

3. Good drivable car. Could maintain even 20kmph at the top hog. My i20 would suffocate a lot if correct gear is not maintained.

4. Overtaking is a mess, and even downshifting wont help you, unless you downshift directly to 2nd gear. To make her in the right rpm (2.7k+) is a big task. I was not at all feeling confident to overtake some trucks and all in that traffic. If it was the i20, downshift once - rpm needle will shoot above 1.8k rpm where the turbo unleashes and zoom out

5. Suspention setup is a bit different from the i20. Jazz absorbs speedbrakers much better than the i20. i20 sways at the speed breakers. But i20 is comfortable on roads with undulations and potholes. Jazz shivers when riding at such roads.

6. Gearshift is a bit hard in the jazz. There are vibrations at 3rd gear. I20 is smooth as silk

7. Cusioning is better in the jazz. Seats are like sofas. Lateral support and underthigh support is better in the i20. We wont be out of place while cornering.

8. Body roll control is excellent for the jazz. On par with the i20. I thought theoriticaly it was impossible fot that tall boy stanced girl to stay erect at corners.

9. Brakes are good in both vehicles

I would always choose the i20 for a highway/long ride and the jazz for a short/city ride.

Why?

Jazz can always be driven at city limit speeds without giving up on the mileage. All day, i can drive at the top hog. No need to change gears at all. But in the i20, i need to change gears n number of times, and cant drive in the top hog in city limits. For 6th gear, we need to be atleast in 50+ speeds. In city, i20 wont deliver that good mileage figures too.

I20 is comfortable for long highway rides. It is like sitting in a cocoon without feeling any of the undulations in the road. Yes, if the speeds are above 70 no need to change gears. For quick overtakings, just a shift down will bring it in the torque range. Gives great mileage too.
Old 27th October 2015, 19:48   #352
Senior - BHPian

^^

Question to @vishnu and other I20 owners -
The service schedule is once in a year. So, does I20 use synthetic oil or not?
If I20 uses synthetic oil (which should be the case with annual service interval), how can servicing cost be so low as the oil itself will cost 3K or more?
Old 27th October 2015, 20:11   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^

Question to @vishnu and other I20 owners -
The service schedule is once in a year. So, does I20 use synthetic oil or not?
If I20 uses synthetic oil (which should be the case with annual service interval), how can servicing cost be so low as the oil itself will cost 3K or more?
i20 CRDi uses mineral oil, I recently got my 30k service done, below is the screen shot of service cost from 1st till 4th service. You can also refer to thread below for more updates.

Red Passion: My Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi. EDIT, 30K Update
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-1445956872396.jpg  

Last edited by Bubby : 27th October 2015 at 20:15.
Old 27th October 2015, 21:18   #354
BHPian

This is my service bill
Btb, bubbly, what is the cost of 1k+ for the first service? And why both of our bills are different? Yours is a bit on the higher side.

And yes, Hyundai uses mineral oil only. But the engine never felt harsh even after 9k without the oil change. But when it reached the 9.8k mark, it was a bit harsh and could feel sone difference.

They also has a shell made FS oil. It costs around 5k for the oil alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-1445959383007.jpg  

Old 27th October 2015, 21:25   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
This is my service bill
Btb, bubbly, what is the cost of 1k+ for the first service? And why both of our bills are different?
On 10k mark, I ended up getting the wheel alignment and balancing done from HASS, hence the difference of 1k.
Old 28th October 2015, 07:13   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
On 10k mark, I ended up getting the wheel alignment and balancing done from HASS, hence the difference of 1k.
Not that one. The charge, 1779??
Old 28th October 2015, 19:02   #357
Senior - BHPian

This is news to me .. thanks for updating.
As per my understanding, mineral oil is good for maximum 10K kms not more.
If you drive more during a year, I would recommend changing the oil much earlier or switch to synthetic oil.

There are a couple of good thread in team bhp on this topic. Please do refer if interested!
Old 28th October 2015, 21:30   #358
BHPian

Yups. Even though the service interval is 12 months, I had to change the oil within 7 months. Within 7 months, I completed the 10k mark. Also, Hyundai ASS does not allow us to use any other company's oil. Servo is not a well known company for good oils. But in teambhp, in some thread I read it is good for crdis.

But, the best oil is Mobil 1 FS or Mobil 1 FX mineral.

I will be changing to this oil after the warranty is over.

What is the oil used in petrol hondas? Will switching to some other oil affect the warranty? I am very happy about the honda engine though.

Adimicra, I have one doubt. How you manages to keep the engine on boil during a city drive? Say if you move in a traffic at 50kmph, and suddenly you wanna overtake means what you will do? I found it sluggish this way. Actually the new jazz is tuned to give power after 2.6-2.8k. But it can be achieved only after 85kmph in the top hog. Even in the 3rd gear, at around 60 only this rpm is attained. Means, should I downshift directly to 2nd gear for a QUICK overtake?
Old 28th October 2015, 22:46   #359
Senior - BHPian

Honda uses it's own mineral oil 10W40 for the old Jazz.
But they give you the option to go for synthetic oil if you want but it's Honda branded oil.
Obviously, if you service outside, you can use any oil you want. Mobil1 is the best but please check what grade is recommended for I20. Also, will be a good idea to check with our experts on team bhp.

Yes, as I understand, Honda was tuned the engine differently in the new Jazz for better FE. I think the power band has shifted from 2K in the old Jazz to 2.5K in the new Jazz. Yes, many times, I have shifted from 5th to 3rd or 4th to 2nd for a quick overtaking maneuver. Say I am cruising at 80kmph @5th gear and want a quick overtake, I do shift down to 3rd and rev hard and the car zooms past. The 2nd gear is good for 90 kmph and 3rd gear for 130 kmph. Jazz has pretty tall gearing.
Old 5th November 2015, 10:32   #360
BHPian

I had a Ford Figo (until yesterday) and drove a little over 85000 Kms, in mixed driving conditions.

We recently got a Honda Jazz (CVT), in the family and I took it out for a ride and was floored by the room inside the Jazz. It is roomier than any other hatchback, I've ever driven.

Between the JAZZ and i20 Elite, here are the differences.

1. I was looking for a Diesel engine and I found that i20 was more pleasurable to drive.
2. The NVH is simply fantastic in i20, and the JAZZ - while silent - the A/C makes a huge humm that is annoying at times.
3. A button - place holder for Engine Start / Stop really put me off. Atleast, without the place holder, I could have felt better.

On the flipside,
1. The i20's deep clutch press - a tad too longer (for my height). I have to do a lot of seat adjustment to get this handled.
2. The rear bench space in i20 is too low, and the B-pillar is obstructive and tempers the ingress/egress for my family.

With all of these in mind, I still swayed towards i20 Elite CRDI Asta (O) - as I found it a overall better package than the Hyundai (although both seem to be charging premium).

I'm taking delivery on Sunday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks