Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2015, 10:53   #361
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keerthivasan View Post

1. I was looking for a Diesel engine and I found that i20 was more pleasurable to drive.
2. The NVH is simply fantastic in i20, and the JAZZ - while silent - the A/C makes a huge humm that is annoying at times.
I think you made a good decision to go with i20 - i20's (and esp any Hyundai's) diesel engine is creamy smooth and a lot of power. Handling is not great in either i20 or Jazz.

But, the diesel engine in Honda is terrible. NVH was terrible in Amaze when I drove my friend's. It was like driving a truck (or worse)

You'll definitely find your rides enjoyable with i20 CRDi (I owned one for 4 years - not the current model)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 16:37   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I think you made a good decision to go with i20 - i20's (and esp any Hyundai's) diesel engine is creamy smooth and a lot of power. Handling is not great in either i20 or Jazz.

But, the diesel engine in Honda is terrible. NVH was terrible in Amaze when I drove my friend's. It was like driving a truck (or worse)

You'll definitely find your rides enjoyable with i20 CRDi (I owned one for 4 years - not the current model)
Thats not the AC which makes that hummm. Thats the engine radiator cooler fan I guess.
Old 9th November 2015, 16:55   #363
BHPian

Voted for Honda Jazz with the only reason being the CVT. I bought the V-CVT few days back.

I hardly feel any lack of low end torque. The USP of the car is silent engine, lots of space and paddle shifts. I have ordered the center armrest from Ali-express and its already shipped (aired).

I am happy with the gadgets the car offers and am not missing anything that I would want.

If I20 had an Auto box it would have been a close vote but I like Hondas and love the airy cabin of Jazz.
Old 14th November 2015, 12:24   #364
BHPian

A rare pic of 2 born rivals parked together. Baleno, are you listening?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-1447484012637.jpg  

vishnurajanme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 12:12   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Voted for Honda Jazz with the only reason being the CVT. I bought the V-CVT few days back.

I hardly feel any lack of low end torque. The USP of the car is silent engine, lots of space and paddle shifts. I have ordered the center armrest from Ali-express and its already shipped (aired).

I am happy with the gadgets the car offers and am not missing anything that I would want.

If I20 had an Auto box it would have been a close vote but I like Hondas and love the airy cabin of Jazz.
Jazz V-CVT is a great car. The Cabin space is unbelievable, particularly the rear row is the biggest anyone can ask for.

And congratulations on the buy.

Should there be an addition of Baleno to this poll. I think Baleno Vs Elite i20 Vs Jazz is a juicy competition.

Here's the comparison to begin with.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-carwars.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 27th November 2015 at 15:10. Reason: Please stop making these back to back single line posts unnecessarily. All these back to back posts are now merged.
Keerthivasan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 11:31   #366
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma.

Requirements -

1. Can be hatchback/sedan
2. Basic safety kit - Dual front airbags and ABS is a minimum.
3. Has to be a diesel fueled car.
4. Decent power on tap. Should be able to do sane triple digit speeds on the highway without much fuss.
5. Automatic climate control.
6. Keyless go.
7. Auto folding ORVM's.
8. Reverse camera with sensors.
9. Engine start/stop button. Would love to have it but won't be a deal breaker.
10. Strong and easy resale. I may want to sell and upgrade within 1-2 years.

(Note: the above list is a copy paste from post made by Gameofcars:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post3847662)
My requirement is very similar to his.

I have test driven and shortlisted the Hyundai Active i20. I liked it over and above the regular Elite i20.
Today planning for test drive of Honda Jazz.
I will be considering top variants from all marques only.

My budget is ~ Rs 10 Lacs.

One oddball car that is tugging at my heart (but not head) is the Ford Figo Aspire. Love the shape and interiors.

Taking in factor that strong and easy resale is an important criteria, what cars should I consider?
Old 30th November 2015, 11:50   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
4. Decent power on tap. Should be able to do sane triple digit speeds on the highway without much fuss.
6. Keyless go.
7. Auto folding ORVM's.
Elite i20 clears all of this, and Active goes a little over the 10 lakh budget. You should also lookout for the NVH - and compare between Jazz and i20 Active.

By the way, the Honda Jazz website now talks about Keyless entry. Have you seen it ?

Last edited by Keerthivasan : 30th November 2015 at 11:57. Reason: Added a question.
Keerthivasan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 13:44   #368
BHPian

Quote:
I am in a similar dilemma.

Requirements -

6. Keyless go.
7. Auto folding ORVM's.

(Note: the above list is a copy paste from post made by Gameofcars:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post3847662)
My requirement is very similar to his.

I have test driven and shortlisted the Hyundai Active i20. I liked it over and above the regular Elite i20.
Today planning for test drive of Honda Jazz.
I will be considering top variants from all marques only.

My budget is ~ Rs 10 Lacs.

One oddball car that is tugging at my heart (but not head) is the Ford Figo Aspire. Love the shape and interiors.

Taking in factor that strong and easy resale is an important criteria, what cars should I consider?
i20 Diesel will be a better choice if you loves driving and if polo & punto has not made your list. Among the Jazz & the Elite i20, i20 wins hands down if diesel is your choice. Jazz is a good car, and has a very drive-able engine, but the feel good factor is much more for the i20. Feel good factor comprises everything like light clutch, slick gearshifts, insane throttle response (If you drive in the turbo reign ) Better interiors and exteriors, the way the suspension absorbs undulations and a wider cabin. Yes, the Jazz and i20 Diesel variants may show a considerable mileage difference in paper, but in real world, the difference is quite negligible. Hardly 2kmpls.

And as you want only the top end variant, i20 offers ABS, EBD & Dual Airbags too and gives you an option to select between the Asta & Asta (O) variants. Only difference is the touchscreen. If you like it, take the Asta (O), My advice is to hang up with the Asta as the presense of ECM is worth considering.
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 13:54   #369
BHPian

Just finished test drive of Honda Jazz VX Diesel.
Compared to Hyundai Active i20, found the Jazz to be noisier (NVH). Is there and additional damping/sound deadening kit to reduce the NVH?
BUT my wife and I both found the ride to be smoother than the i20. One factor is that maybe the tire pressure on the i20 we test drove yesterday was too high. I may need to drive the i20 again after personally checking the tire pressure and then draw a conclusion.

The i20 certainly has the better features and seems much more value for money.

vishnurajanme:
Polo rear seat is too small for us and Punto resale is a scare for me as I may want to sell off the car in a years time.

How is the resale factor for the Active i20 (I know the Elite i20 is a major seller and probably easy to sell, but how about the Active version)?
Old 30th November 2015, 15:47   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Just finished test drive of Honda Jazz VX Diesel.
Compared to Hyundai Active i20, found the Jazz to be noisier (NVH). Is there and additional damping/sound deadening kit to reduce the NVH?
BUT my wife and I both found the ride to be smoother than the i20. One factor is that maybe the tire pressure on the i20 we test drove yesterday was too high. I may need to drive the i20 again after personally checking the tire pressure and then draw a conclusion.

The i20 certainly has the better features and seems much more value for money.

vishnurajanme:
Polo rear seat is too small for us and Punto resale is a scare for me as I may want to sell off the car in a years time.

How is the resale factor for the Active i20 (I know the Elite i20 is a major seller and probably easy to sell, but how about the Active version)?

Hi Raja,

Regarding the suspension, mostly it may be because of the additional air pressure in the tires and Hyundai guys are known to use the car tyres as hydrogen balloons.
I would suggest to take a gravelly/road full of potholes and do the test drive again. The i20 would amaze you. Regarding the resale factor, I guess the jazz would win just because jazz is new, and yes the Honda badge offers more trust concept in people.
Most of the guys around may consider a 2nd hand Honda over a Hyundai.
And the Active is still a rare sight on the roads here. Even creta finds it's space in the road much more than the active.
According to me, Jazz would have the best resale value, followed by the i20 elite and then the active.
Old 5th December 2015, 14:16   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
A rare pic of 2 born rivals parked together?
Hi Vishnu. Of late we are seeing lot complaints regarding rattling, vibration and noises in the official Jazz review thread. But the general perception is that Honda cars age well and Hyundai cars starts to show many issues after few years. If many owners are facing issues in initial months itself, I'm wondering how it will fare in the long run.

What's your take on this? Did you face any similar issue in your elite i20 so far?
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 14:25   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Hi Vishnu. Of late we are seeing lot complaints regarding rattling, vibration and noises in the official Jazz review thread. But the general perception is that Honda cars age well and Hyundai cars starts to show many issues after few years. If many owners are facing issues in initial months itself, I'm wondering how it will fare in the long run.

What's your take on this? Did you face any similar issue in your elite i20 so far?
Hi midas, for me, rattles are there in the elite i20 as well as the jazz.
But in the jazz, rattles were present just after 1 month of ownership and in the elite i20, rattles came after 12000kms.

Mostly the rattles in the i20 was caused by bad roads in my village. But still they are intermittent. I.e, sounds are heard only when travelling over potholed roads. For my jazz, even in smooth roads it comes in between. Example: The dash board rattle.

According to me, i can confirm that the jazz will rattle more than the i20 on course of age. Thats for sure.

BUT

i20 has everything so light.
Example: the gearbox, clutch, steering (even though it gains weight on highways - IT IS NOT LIFELESS LIKE PREVIOUS GEN i20) etc
I am a bit worried if these "LIGHT" things will fail prematurely than the ones in the jazz. just a fear because I love her a lot
Old 6th December 2015, 22:20   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Hi midas, for me, rattles are there in the elite i20 as well as the jazz.
But in the jazz, rattles were present just after 1 month of ownership and in the elite i20, rattles came after 12000kms.

i20 has everything so light.
Example: the gearbox, clutch, steering (even though it gains weight on highways - IT IS NOT LIFELESS LIKE PREVIOUS GEN i20) etc
Thanks for the reply. When I went for i20 test drive, I was expecting its steering to be light. But it was super light, much lighter than I expected.

Since majority of my drive will be within Bangalore city, I guess it's a boon. Just trying to look at this issue as 'glass is half full' instead of 'glass is half empty' . To be frank, even after knowing its limitations, I'm finding it very difficult to strike off i20 from my list due to its pros.
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 15:58   #374
BHPian

Hi All,

I am in the middle of a hunch confusion currently. My requirements are subtle yet complex.

2 Bits before I boil down to what kind of assistance I am looking for.

1. We have a new gen. Honda City with >80K kms on board and has been relatively fuss free for the last 8 yrs. Considering the resale would take a steep dive if we keep this any further, it is time for a replacement.

2. I have been driving Hondas for last 8 years starting with the City, then a Brio and finally a CRV here at DE. All have been great machines and have never been troublesome, thankfully. I have a thing for Hondas now and may be a bit opinionated too.

4. Brio did have poor low end grunt and I use to get pissed off at times and knowing jazz suffers from it even more is definitely a bad news to me.

5. Over the years, the value proposition for Hyundai cars have been elevating impressively, so I feel they are equally if not more competent as the Hondas now.
-----------------------------------
Now coming to the point.

1. I need a car as good as the City afa reliability is concerned and looking for Petrols only. I know Jazz petrol is better than i20 but is the difference substantial which can take away the grin from my face if I drive an i20 ?

2. Creature comfort doesn't score much for me as I can live without auto headlamps and start stop button. I don't care for them anyway. What I do care for is build quality in and out. Is jazz too inferior on that front vis-a-vis elite i20 ? I have seen some people commenting that Jazz build quality is not bad anyway.

3. Price(Jazz)> price(i20) top end, it is worth spending those extra $$ on jazz ?

4. Getting to know about jazz becoming a rattle snake way earlier than i20 from some of our owners is making me nervous. Should I take a chance ?

My conclusion: I feel Jazz is a very competent product and for Honda fans it is very difficult to stay away from it, but elite i20 is way more worthy from all aspects except the variability and a better engine. I am hanging in the middle on whether I should go for H or H

Do comment considering I need a Petrol and NOT a Diesel. If it would have been a D, i20 is a no brainer.

Cherio
Shiv

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2016 at 16:41. Reason: NHC > Honda City. Please refrain from using acronyms while referring to cars on the forum. Thanks!
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 16:48   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Are you serious? Actually I tried to fold it in the reverse direction a bit. But nothing happened. Lol. Jazz' RVMs come directly from the city. .
i20 mirrors are "biker friendly" to an extent, a biker proved it to me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks