Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 00:23   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Ironically, I voted for the Honda Jazz based on hearsay when this poll was opened; I've voted with my wallet for the i20 now and really chuffed about it. I've got an ownership review coming up soon that'll explain my decision in more detail but here's the short version.

Honda Jazz:
(+)
Love the looks
Spacious
Magic seats with recline
Seating like a mini MPV which is great.
6 speed gearbox
Cruise control
Diesel with good drivability (based on hearsay; never test drove one). Engine noise isn't an issue for me although I may be a convert soon, thanks to i20's amazing NVH.
Functional as well as classy dashboard.
A big fan of that ambient light near the AC control. Wish every car had that.

(-)
No DRLs! Not even as an official accessory option like the Figo. I wouldn't buy a car without DRLs. (Deal breaker)
Based on reviews, diesel lacks pep albeit being drivable. Don't like Honda's 'one size fits all' approach to diesel engine tuning; demonstrates their lack of passion in this market. (Deal breaker)
No projector headlamps.
Honda's lackadaisical approach to quality in recent years. (Deal breaker)
Top end diesel breaches the 10 lac mark and overpriced (Deal breaker)
AVN missing features like MirrorLink, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay. Does it have SatNav? Not sure.
Touch sensitive controls for AC
Dash albeit being functional and classy doesn't exude luxury.

Having said all that, the Jazz never tugged at my heart strings for some reason. I didn't even bother to take a test drive. The brand doesn't evoke images of zest and youthfulness to me; no offence but Honda to me evokes a grandaddy's image of late. The City is an exception and still remains aspirational; but I don't like sedans. So, why the i20? Well, you'll get your answers in my upcoming review.
swiftdiesel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 18:36   #407
BHPian

[quote=swiftdiesel;4200429]
Honda Jazz:
(+)
Cruise control
Jazz never came with it, not even in diesel, it's in WR-V(diesel) not in Jazz.

(-)
No DRLs! Not even as an official accessory option like the Figo. I wouldn't buy a car without DRLs. (Deal breaker)
Agreed but i20 introduced it only after Baleno's entry.

Based on reviews, diesel lacks pep albeit being drivable. Don't like Honda's 'one size fits all' approach to diesel engine tuning; demonstrates their lack of passion in this market. (Deal breaker)
Sorry but same goes for Ford, VW(1.5TDi in 2 states) Maruti Suzuki(1.3MJD in 2 states). Even Hyundai shows same trait. (i20/Verna/Creta and Verna/Creta/Elantra)

No projector headlamps.
Agreed but i20 introduced it only after Baleno's entry.

AVN missing features like MirrorLink, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay. Does it have SatNav? Not sure.
Agreed but i20 introduced it only after Baleno's entry, infact i20 never had touchscreen AV until sometime back. Jazz has SatNav only in VX but it's really crap.

With competition quickly adjusting themselves with respect to features as done by Hyundai in staying relevant against Baleno, Honda has been complete bummer in this case.

Congratulations on your choice as it is currently right choice in that segment. Looking forward for your review.

Last edited by varunswnt : 19th May 2017 at 18:37.
varunswnt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 20:57   #408
BHPian

I have read this entire thread, test drove the cars couple of times and still couldn't decide which to go with.

Elite i20 is an impressive car with great look and interiors but the rear headroom is such a disappointment, I couldn't get past it.

On the other hand, Jazz is light on features, priced relatively high and the test drive (petrol) was okay at best. And the news that Jazz face-lift and upgrade is in the pipeline early next year is not encouraging too.

Only if i20 has more rear space or only if Jazz has more features and priced well. If anything, even a decent upgrade to Jazz's feature set would make it a much more competitive to i20 than in its current form. Really disappointing on Honda that they have practically ceded this segment to i20 (and Baleno) when they could fight back without major rework on the design which works.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 09:49   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post

Only if i20 has more rear space or only if Jazz has more features and priced well. If anything, even a decent upgrade to Jazz's feature set would make it a much more competitive to i20 than in its current form. Really disappointing on Honda that they have practically ceded this segment to i20 (and Baleno) when they could fight back without major rework on the design which works.
Every feature provided in the 2015 Honda Jazz, apart from the magic seats, seem like an after-thought. The touch screen head unit (and navigation system) of the VX variant feel dated and buggy. It has a tendency to drop bluetooth connectivity in the middle of a call. Even the iPod/iPhone connector is a 30 pin connector which was phased out by Apple in 2012 - this for a car that was launched in 2015 . However, where the Jazz scores heavily is the amount of space (or the sense of space) inside the car for a car of this class. There is ample rear legroom and sufficient headroom for taller passengers.
feluda86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 10:07   #410
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 2nd-from-top variants of both are a mixed bag. The i20 Sportz (O) doesn't give you rear wash & wipe , passenger-side airbag or parking sensors. The Honda Jazz V variant gives you all of them (camera instead of sensors).

Give me 5,000 - 7,000 rupees and I'll fix the Honda's rear seat under-thigh support in the after-market in 24 hours. More support than you'll ever need. But you can't do that to the i20 Sportz' missing features.

Forget the V variant, Honda gives you dual airbags & a reversing camera even in the SV variant.
Hi GTO - could you share more about this after-market under-thigh support fix? It'd be useful in our Honda Jazz and Merc C Class (whose rear seat under-thigh support is AWFUL).

Thanks.
R17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 09:11   #411
BHPian

Hello All,

When the poll opened, I had voted for the Elite i20.
Today, my parents are in the market for a car within 8 lacs (OTR-Delhi).
Having done loads of test drives and gone through all the reviews of T-Bhp, we have arrived at the final 2. The Jazz V-MT and the i20 Asta.

The compact sedans were ruled out because they didn't feel premium enough when compared to their stable mates.
Baleno was ruled out due to its light built.
Polo was ruled out because of its cramped rear seat and A.S.S.

Advantages in the i20 Asta:
- Better interiors (design, look wise)
- Better quality of the plastics used
- AVN with mirror link
- Longer service interval compared to Jazz
- Wider tires
- Driver armrest and storage
- Rear AC vents
- Cheaper than Jazz V-MT

Disadvantages in i20 Asta:
- Lacks essential features such as rear wiper, auto door locks, auto up-down for driver power windows
- Ugly looking steel wheels. Why Hyundai?
- Smaller boot and cabin area.

Advantages in the Jazz V-MT:
- Better power figures from the i-VTec engine.
- Space and more space
- Big boot
- Rear wiper and auto-door locks
- More discounts from dealers
- Multi-view rear camera
- Leather wrapped steering and gear
- Better fuel economy (Am I right?)

Disadvantages in Jazz V-MT:
- The gearbox is not as crisp as the i20
- No AVN
- No driver armrest
- No rear parking sensors

To sum it up, my parents are slightly favoring the Jazz, as for them space is one of the deciding factors. If Hyundai had provided rear wiper and auto door locks in the Asta or Asta dual-tone variant, I would have convinced them to go for the i20.

Both of these features are safety features in my eyes and I don't think they should compromise on safety, especially when living in the Delhi-NCR area.
However, Hyundai have stabbed themselves (and me) by pushing all the good, useful features to the Asta-Option.

Do you guys think the Honda's 6 month service interval is too much of an hassle (in particular for the elderly) and what are the costs associated with it?

Last edited by drive2eternity : 27th July 2017 at 09:16.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 09:25   #412
BHPian

You can add auto door locks to the i20 and a driver armrest (official accessory) and rear parking sensors to the Jazz in the aftermarket. Try to think which of the two you'd prefer if these specific features weren't missing.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 12:45   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post

Advantages in the Jazz V-MT:
- Rear wiper and auto-door locks

Disadvantages in Jazz V-MT:
- The gearbox is not as crisp as the i20
- No driver armrest
- No rear parking sensors
Auto-Door locks are not present in any variant of Jazz, I own i-vtec VX-MT.

Gearbox is notchy at first and will improve with use, but won't be anywhere near to Hyundai's smoothness.

Driver armrest can be installed as official accessory for 16,000 rupees. I know it's way too expensive, you can get a similar one from Aliexpress.

Rear parking sensors and floor mats were given free to me by dealer even without bargaining.

6 months service intervals are so short that you don't even realize when the next comes up. Costs are definitely on par with segment though.

Space, Space and Space, that's the greatest USP of this car, along with awesome ingress and egress for elderly. This was the deciding factor for me due to my mother's knee problems. i20 rear seats felt a bit low and claustrophobic to me, also I had to bend to get in and out. Just my observations.

Fuel economy is sensitive to RPM, so anything south of 3000 rpm will fetch you good results, also there's green ECO light for that.
varunswnt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:24   #414
BHPian

I second the part about the rear seats being more of a pain to get in and out of in the Hyundai compared to the Honda. If you intend to use the car to ferry the elderly, go with the Jazz.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 21:47   #415
BHPian

Its been almost 10 years since these cars were launched - and folks are still talking about feature set differences.

Features do not make a car.
My Jazz is over 6.5 years old today, and she drives like new and the interiors are like new (post-cleaning, of course).
Not a bulb fused, nothing. Only changes - brake pads & tyres.

Compare that with 2010 i20s in my network. They have aged horribly, interiors are faded plastics, the exterior looks dated and regular maintenance costs over 6k-7k per 6 months.

Well, people are free to spend their money as they wish.
Wisdom is knowing what defines a good quality automobile at a given budget.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 00:07   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Its been almost 10 years since these cars were launched - and folks are still talking about feature set differences.

Features do not make a car.
My Jazz is over 6.5 years old today, and she drives like new and the interiors are like new (post-cleaning, of course).
Not a bulb fused, nothing. Only changes - brake pads & tyres.

Compare that with 2010 i20s in my network. They have aged horribly, interiors are faded plastics, the exterior looks dated and regular maintenance costs over 6k-7k per 6 months.

Well, people are free to spend their money as they wish.
Wisdom is knowing what defines a good quality automobile at a given budget.

cheers
lazy
It is all about how you keep your car buddy. Take a look at my 7 year old i20 and it is still in very good condition. None of the plastics have faded and regular maintenance is at 10k (for me thats a one year interval) which cost around INR 6000.

P.S: I have used my a car lot over the past 7 years.
Old 28th July 2017, 08:01   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Auto-Door locks are not present in any variant of Jazz, I own i-vtec VX-MT.
Hey thanks Varun. I don't remember from where I had this notion in my mind that Jazz has auto-door locks. Anyway these can be added/enabled at the service center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
You can add auto door locks to the i20 and a driver armrest (official accessory) and rear parking sensors to the Jazz in the aftermarket. Try to think which of the two you'd prefer if these specific features weren't missing.
Thanks aryayush. Are you aware how to get the auto-door locking feature added? I have a fluidic Verna and the service center flat-out refused this very request of mine.

drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 09:58   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway these can be added/enabled at the service center?
Unfortunately, we can't add auto-door locks even at service centre.

I tried this at Crystal Honda, Bavdhan, Pune for underbody engine cover from Jazz diesel and auto-door lock from City. They said, their system refuses to place order for parts not under my Jazz i-vtec's VIN.
Old 28th July 2017, 10:04   #419
Senior - BHPian

Hey drive2eternity,
I'd rather ask you to look at ATs for your parents. If they are not in favor of ATs, that's fine too.

Coming to your question: (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Let me just clarify that this comparison is between petrol MTs. If so, the i20 wins in most cases as the Jazz has one clear disadvantage-Poor low end torque. Go see the official review of the Jazz and you'll hear owners complain about it.

i20 has a decent petrol engine, which is good in the city and okay for the expressway. Unless you're parents are aggressive drivers on the expressway, I think the i20 should suffice.

Quote:
The Jazz V-MT and the i20 Asta....

Disadvantages in i20 Asta:
- Lacks essential features such as rear wiper, auto door locks, auto up-down for driver power windows
- Ugly looking steel wheels. Why Hyundai?
- Smaller boot and cabin area.
I think they can live with 1 and 2- some features can be enabled (ask your dealer), some are not must-haves, some can be changed and I haven't really used rear wipers that much in Bangalore. (Both my Innova and Getz have them)

Requirement 3 can't be compromised- but take a good look at both cars, consider my point about drivability as it is very important.

The i20 is spacious, but the Jazz is humongous. 5 adults are going to pretty comfortable in both. 5 very tall adults will love the Jazz though. Boot space in the i20 can be a deal breaker.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th July 2017 at 10:08.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:01   #420
BHPian

Sorry for bringing an old thread alive. In 2020, JAZZ CVT with 7 gears and paddle shifters is offered at an ex-showroom price of Rs. 8,70,210 for the V variant. The all new i20 1.2L Kappa Petrol Sportz IVT is for ex-showroom Rs. 8,68,442. Which one is better and reliable?

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2020 at 20:08. Reason: Please proof read prior to submission and use spell-checkers. Thanks.
vvvinod is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks