Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2015, 02:43   #106
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

IMO the Elite i20 maybe more feature packed and even better built than the Jazz. But somewhere it is following the footsteps of the ubiquitous Swift due to its fierce sales and then will look too common on the roads in a matter of months.

I have observed the fluidic theme though enticing doesn't age well. At least to me it looks outdated after a few years. I am not fond of the Verna's looks now.
While Honda cars in general have a timeless look to it. The City ZX still looks acceptable in todays time, so does the former Jazz or the old Accord.
My vote goes to the Jazz solely for its cab forward, hatch - mpv looks.

But yes Hyundai has become what Honda was in the early 2000s while Honda has gone a step down as most others have been discussing here. So for everything else its for Hyundai.

In layman's terms there is something in owning even a base variant Honda than a top of the line Hyundai.
Old 11th July 2015, 06:48   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post

3) 175 R14 tyres. Luckily, can be fixed after market and an upsize to 195 profile tyres is suitable as well as available.
4) No steering reach adjustment - Will check if I can get a comfortable driving position in the test drive (I'm 5'8"). If so, this won't be a problem.

In general, the core things which I want in a car - good drivability, ride, handling, frugality, space, upright seating etc. are inherent to the design/engine and is better (from my perspective) in the Jazz VX diesel.

I also want a car that I can use for 10 years plus and think the Jazz will age more gracefully.
Hey ,

I guess it's a typo but still ..
Jazz comes with 175/65R15 tires for the VX. But you might still want to upgrade to 185/60 or 195/60

Having owned both the 'H' brands, I like Honda more as the long term maintenance costs are more reasonable and the car seems to age very well with time. My Jazz is 5 years old and I am not thinking of changing the car in the next 2-3 years if not more. The car looks and feels as good as new inside out (except for a few scratches).
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 09:10   #108
BHPian

Jazz for me.

Reasons:
1) Can pack a football stadium inside (well, almost)

2) Honda's ASS is superior to Hyundai's (my perception)

3) Hyundai is still perceived by many people as a jack of all trades and master of none

4) Jazz (a.k.a Honda Fit) is an international best seller http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/

I know not much of i20 as an international rockstar. May be, it is.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 10:37   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Voted for the i20. The omission of Magic Seats, the Jazz's USP, in the lower variants is unpardonable.

BTW, Don't know if its just me. I have seen a few Elite i20s on the road that should be a couple of months old. The paint quality which looks so gorgeous in a new Elite i20 seems to have deteriorated rapidly in only a matter of months.
I personally own a red elite i20. It is 5 months old. If you are saying they don't look flashy these days, yeah! After accumulation of dirt during this rainy season, they looks deteriorated. But once the owners clean it, will be superb The red elite is a deep red version. I guess that is the culprit. Polo and maruthi gives a lighter red shade.

Own experience bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
At the end of the day, Honda has always been a premium brand - perception, image (and cost?). I don't think they ever want Honda to be a mass market brand. If Honda manages to sell one Jazz for every second/third i20, I think they would have achieved their objectives...

...Voted for the Jazz.

That said, if Honda had plonked a 1.5 engine in the Jazz, it would have been one hell of a car! What were they thinking?

Brio is the best performance driven car what petrol heads can buy these days. But heavily under rated. I have driven one and I feels it accelerates much better than the swift. And the twisty steering is a gem. BUT, Jazz is a much heavier and bigger car when compared with the brio. And they use the same engine from brio in the jazz. Just imagine. Your brio is used as a pickup, to carry some cargo behind it. OMG This is the case with the petrol engine in the Jazz. Hope you understood. Elite i20 petrol is not much better. But they have tweaked the engine for city driving pleasure.

So for cities elite would be my choice and for highways, the brio. I wont choose the jazz anyway

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Consecutive posts are not allowed and additionally, quoting large posts may inconvenience small-screen / mobile users. Please visit the Announcements before posting.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2015 at 10:53.
Old 11th July 2015, 10:50   #110
BHPian

My vote goes to i20. The premium quality shows everywhere in the car ...

My perception: Honda has lost the "premium brand" thing a while ago. There is nothing premium about it. They seem to be doing what Hyundai was doing in 15 years ago .. Honda now seems to be copying Hyundai ... Indians still believe Honda as a Status symbol, it's time to move on ..
junkishya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 11:05   #111
Senior - BHPian

What I really want is a Q3..
.. since I can't afford it, I settle for i20 Elite...
(... after I convince myself to sell my Palio)
On a serious note, why my vote goes to Hyundai?

The earlier sibling - Getz - was in my opinion was a better hatch compared to other models in the market then (still running strong after 10 years and no major complaints, with my friend).

The Getz Prime iteration was a let down.

Then came, i20 - it was an improvement, but still not quite there.

With i20 elite, I think Hyundai has found the sweet spot - the electric blue color is one which makes me turn my head (apart from the Q3, ofcourse)

Not quite the same story with the Jazz.

BTW, is it true that Hyundai had built a car based on i20 for WRC?!
Old 11th July 2015, 22:20   #112

I would go for the i20 given the reviews of the interiors of the Jazz. Even the outer appearance gives the i20 an edge. The ground clearance is 5mm more in the i20 which does matter in some of the road conditions.
And finally the extensive service network of Hyundai makes it tilt towards the i20.
Old 11th July 2015, 23:17   #113
BHPian

Voted for the Jazz.

In spite of being thankful to Hyundai for giving the Indian customer his due and turning my head every time I see the i20 on the road, I cannot bring myself to select the Hyundai over the Jazz.

All Hyundais, except the Santro and may be the elite, begin to show their age after around three years or so and I have heard many a friend say that he is bored with the car and is desirous of a change. On the other hand cars like the Jazz, I think, ages well and one can keep them for ever. The Jazz was a dream when it was first launched and well, one does not let go of ones dream just because there is a new kid on the block.

Last edited by arunkumarsarat : 11th July 2015 at 23:22.
Old 12th July 2015, 15:17   #114
BHPian

The Elite i20 just blows the Jazz away! Except for some extra space, there is nothing in the Jazz which can compare to what the Elite has to offer. How can anyone vote for a car that claims to have everything and doesn't have a Push Start/Stop? This feature was first introduced by Nissan Micra - a lower segment car way back in 2010! Worse, the Jazz has a dummy space that tells the customers: "We have it but we are not giving it to you". I mean how can a company like Honda which has great reputation the world over do such cheap things in India? Also, the build quality is carelessly cheap and for this, Honda wants extra money over the Elite? No way. Talking about engines, Honda should be ashamed about its diesel engine & learn something about refinement from Hyundai. I think Honda should learn many things from Hyundai especially VFM. Hyundai in 2015 is what Honda was in 1995.
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 16:17   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
T Also, the build quality is carelessly cheap and for this, Honda wants extra money over the Elite? No way. .
Hmm...very strong words indeed!
Anyways, can you please explain the reason for your above statement?
Old 12th July 2015, 16:54   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hmm...very strong words indeed!
Anyways, can you please explain the reason for your above statement?
Hi,

I believe when he said the build quality to be cheap is with respect to the price Honda has quoted for the car.

Even when Maruti decided this time to go premium with CIAZ, look what a wonderful job they did with the overall package. But, Jazz just fizzles out in front of elite i20. The exterior and interior of i20 both, makes you feel happy. While the Jazz looks cool, but the shoddy interiors along with those 'primer only' part of car's panels, puny tires and the taunting placement of start-stop button cover is a big let down.

I for one cribbed a lot initially about elite i20s steering, but 2 weeks into the ownership and I drive the car as good as I did my Figo, which I drove with extreme precision.

For me, the only saving grace is the 7yrs warranty program that Honda offers for it's cars (if it does actually).
Old 12th July 2015, 17:40   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
Hi,

. But, Jazz just fizzles out in front of elite i20. The exterior and interior of i20 both, makes you feel happy. While the Jazz looks cool, but the shoddy interiors along with those 'primer only' part of car's panels, puny tires and the taunting placement of start-stop button cover is a big let down.
Well, to each his own. I for one never called the I20 bad or anything like that. But, some reactions here have been pretty harsh for the Jazz.

For the petrol variant, there's not too much difference in price (also considering Jazz gives safety features in 3 variants).
Anyways, the interiors of the Jazz is very similar to the City and I don't think that's as bad as it is made out to be by some posts here (shoddy, really?). In a segment above, the City is killing it with 'shoddy' interiors. hmm..

I can post a lot of areas where the Jazz is superior to the I20 but that I don't want to do that again.

I agree about the plastic cover of the start-stop button.
by the way, where are those 'primer only' part of car's panels?
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 18:46   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
by the way, where are those 'primer only' part of car's panels?
Guess you missed this part of the review-
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-image.jpg  

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 19:00   #119
BHPian

Quote:

For the petrol variant, there's not too much difference in price (also considering Jazz gives safety features in 3 variants).
Hi adimicra,
The on road price difference for top end petrol trims of i20 and Jazz is Rs 56,041 (price quotes from Trident Hyundai and Dakshin Honda in Bangalore). Now I find it hard to justify the additional bucks for Jazz.

i20 = On Road 859511
Jazz = On Road 915552
Old 12th July 2015, 19:40   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

The new jazz was a car that I was really looking forward to. Even today when I see the old gen Jazz on the road, I cannot stop grinning. The styling is elegant and the space inside is well carved out and luxurious. Looking at the reviews and comments for the new gen jazz, i doubt I want to spend 9.2Lacs OTR Bangalore for the VX. For that kind of money, I would have liked the 1.5L toyota petrol engine + harman infotainment system of the bolt + i20esque interiors + Ertiga seats & ride quality. Having said that, I doubt I will buy the elite i20 either as back seat headroom, ride quality and the underpowered 1.2L petrol engine is still a put off. I know that my expectations are unrealistic but then what is the point of charging a premium for a car that is mediocre in multiple departments?

Not sure if it is just me but the new launches from various brands all seem to compromise on one critical aspect or the other. You are expected to compromise on either the engine/performance (jazz,elite i20) of the interiors (liva/etios) or the service promise (Tata/VW/Skoda) or live with the ever increasing cost of ownership (MASS). Looks like car manufacturers have quiet literally translated "best your money can buy" into "What we want to offer for all that you have"

Last edited by procrj : 12th July 2015 at 19:42.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks