Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2015, 13:33   #91
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

I voted for the i20. It looks just great. Feels premium / special. Also the koreans seems to have quality than all show.

Honda's interiors are horrible and the car looks like MPV. Jazz is practical but you don't need that much space (boot) every day. It is also priced very high.
Old 10th July 2015, 14:46   #92
PPS
Senior - BHPian

On-road Mumbai prices for the Jazz, Elite i20 & Polo.

Source: http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/07/car...ce-comparison/

Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-2015hondajazzpoloelitei20petrolpricecomparison.jpg

Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-2015hondajazzelitei20polodieselpricecomparison.jpg
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 16:01   #93
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven the elite i20 nor have I driven the Jazz. Hence I will refrain from voting.

But I have experienced the elite i20 from inside. I thought it would really be difficult to outdo what Hyundai has achieved in the premium area.

I have not seen Jazz in person and going purely by hearsay, it seems Honda has not matched Hyundai when it comes to sheer quality. Yes it is quite practical, spacious and all but Elite i20 is not too bad either. How much more space do you want in a hatchback over what i20 has provided.

Apart from that, I believe Elite i20 trumps Jazz in every other area including price. The crdi engine I believe is much better than idtec. I didn't like the crude sounding idtec in the city whereas crdi is almost as refined as a petrol engine.

For me among these two, it is Elite i20 which I belive is also the best premium hatch in India

Last edited by vibbs : 10th July 2015 at 16:05.
Old 10th July 2015, 16:25   #94

Hyundai guys seem to have their ears open to the Indian public, going by the way they come up with their product spec. Honda seems to have reacted this time with a cheaper or rather cost cutting offering, priced to compete with the i20.

My vote for Hyundai, though I drive a swift, my next car will mostly be a Hyundai.
Old 10th July 2015, 17:12   #95

Voted for Hyundai blockbuster Elite i 20.
Jazz missed the golden opportunity,jazz is over priced and the fit finishing quality is not great.
Some important features are missing in jazz like push start stop button,Rear A/c vents.
Hyundai set the benchmark of high quality which is difficult to match even for Honda.
Old 10th July 2015, 17:17   #96
BHPian

My vote goes to i20. The clean and attractive design without those toyish cuts and creases, silky smooth motor, outstanding NVH levels, bells & whistles and overall build quality- the car just feels premium. I haven't been inside the new Jazz, however I know how crude is that aluminium motor.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 18:10   #97
BHPian

I voted for Elite i20.

One particular observation from the Jazz which I hate is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
1.2L petrol has a weak bottom end. Feels lethargic <2,500 rpm
As an owner of Swift vdi (2014), I know how terrible the response is under 2000rpm as the Turbo kicks-in only later. That covers atleast 70% of my city driving. Considering the Swift, Jazz's case is even worser which extends till 2500rpm. I can't hurt my left leg more.
Old 10th July 2015, 18:25   #98
BHPian

Voted for the i20. The omission of Magic Seats, the Jazz's USP, in the lower variants is unpardonable.

BTW, Don't know if its just me. I have seen a few Elite i20s on the road that should be a couple of months old. The paint quality which looks so gorgeous in a new Elite i20 seems to have deteriorated rapidly in only a matter of months.
Old 10th July 2015, 18:52   #99
BHPian

At the end of the day, Honda has always been a premium brand - perception, image (and cost?). I don't think they ever want Honda to be a mass market brand. If Honda manages to sell one Jazz for every second/third i20, I think they would have achieved their objectives.

i20 has oodles of features, agreed. Compared to the previous i10, My Brio's interiors are spartan. Barren, one could say. But you crank the engine and the Brio is one hell of a car. The next best thing about the Brio is the driving pleasure - the car is a joy to drive. Then comes space. It is not much, but considering the size of the car, space magically spawns out of nowhere inside the car. The next best thing is the FE. And I think these are what Honda is known for - practicality (space, drivability), FE, engine and driving pleasure.

And one thing that a Honda buyer would definitely NOT buy Honda for is bling. No offence, but the i20 is a beautiful car, but a Honda is a Honda.

I test drove the Jazz (petrol) today. The engine is sluggish at lower RPMs, as previously noted by all; the 1.5 i-VTEC is sorely missed, but make no doubt, the engine is still fantastic - it's an i-VTEC after all.

Voted for the Jazz.

That said, if Honda had plonked a 1.5 engine in the Jazz, it would have been one hell of a car! What were they thinking?

Last edited by msnarain : 10th July 2015 at 18:54.
Old 10th July 2015, 18:56   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
At the end of the day, Honda has always been a premium brand - perception, image (and cost?). ?
Premium is payable only for benefits which have been experienced for 2 decades in the Indian market. Premium brand with ordinary/poor ownership equals rip off. Either the Indian customers like tp be ripped off or they have seen that paying premium has a long term benefit.

Top end City sells for far higher than Verna but the City sell 7,000+ and the Verna 2,000+.
Old 10th July 2015, 19:50   #101
BHPian

Voted for Jazz purely because of the availability of an Automatic option. In this day and age Hyundai hasn't thought it prudent to have an automatic option in their premium hatch is surprising. I haven't seen the Jazz in person but yes the Hyundai does feel extremely well put together. However the lack of a full suite of safety features (read ABS and dual Airbags) on all but the top end variant is disappointing from a company that started the trend of 6 Airbags in a hatchback!

I might change my vote if Hyundai got the rumoured diesel + 6 speed AT combination. However as things stand it has to be the Jazz for the complete package. The V CVT may just come home sometime soon!
Old 10th July 2015, 20:25   #102
BHPian

All the feelings in this thread echoed in the autocar comparison @ http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-396086.aspx/0 as well
<snip>
Where the i20 noses ahead of the Jazz is in the feel-good factor, and that’s really the clincher here. Whether it’s for the general high levels of refinement or the tastefully done (and well-executed) cabin, the i20 gives you the feeling of being in an expensive car. The Jazz, for all its virtues, simply doesn’t feel as special. And this is why the i20 is still our top pick if you’re in the market for a premium diesel hatchback.
</snip>
Old 10th July 2015, 23:30   #103

Expected a lot better from Honda, after so much of hype was created around this new entrant. Those magic seats in the top end variant do make it stand out; would have loved to see them in lower variants as well. The availability of an automatic option may also attract a few. Apart from that, it's the i20, which still seems to be the segment leader. Loads of features, enough space, and a premium cabin. For me, i20 wins hands down!
Old 10th July 2015, 23:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
All the feelings in this thread echoed in the autocar comparison @ http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-396086.aspx/0 as well
<snip>
Where the i20 noses ahead of the Jazz is in the feel-good factor, and that’s really the clincher here. Whether it’s for the general high levels of refinement or the tastefully done (and well-executed) cabin, the i20 gives you the feeling of being in an expensive car. The Jazz, for all its virtues, simply doesn’t feel as special. And this is why the i20 is still our top pick if you’re in the market for a premium diesel hatchback.
</snip>
Well, this is for the diesel only.
Let's wait for the petrol comparison. I am sure Jazz will be ahead.
The auto mags know how to keep both the 'H's happy
Old 11th July 2015, 00:05   #105
BHPian

I guess my opinion won't be popular here, but, as a family man who wants/needs only one car - the Honda Jazz VX diesel is the car for me.

Reasons are as follows:-
1) It has more upright front seats than the i20 (waist should not be lower than knees). With my bad back, I need tall boy seating but a vehicle is still an upgrade from my old Santro. The driver seat height adjustment helps here. The only other options are the compact SUVs which are even more expensive.
2) I like a firm suspension, like the Santro. My wife gets nauseated in cars with a soft suspension and/or low seating like the Palio GTX (my first car), Vento, original Fiesta etc.
3) I want a highly fuel efficient car, with a fully functional MID. I also want good driveability in the city and the ability to cruise at triple digit speeds effortlessly on the highway. Handling/Steering should be predictable if I take any corners at speed.
4) I want a car with space and flexibility for passengers as well as luggage. I could transport full size cycles in the Santro and want something that is as or more flexible when required.
5) I've experienced Hyundai after sales service and they are adequate but nothing great. Also, after the free services, there is a constant effort by the service engineers to add unnecessary jobs to the servicing. Honda service, from what I hear, is good, just not as extensive as Maruti or Hyundai.

Things I don't like about the Jazz VX but that can be fixed or overlooked
1) The cap for the start stop button. Would have been fine if it was smooth plastic there - I don't need the start stop button, but I like elegant design and the cap is definitely not elegant.
2) Wish the engine was a bit more refined. Lucky that it has a good music system! Also, maybe a remap can help make it more refined.
3) 175 R14 tyres. Luckily, can be fixed after market and an upsize to 195 profile tyres is suitable as well as available.
4) No steering reach adjustment - Will check if I can get a comfortable driving position in the test drive (I'm 5'8"). If so, this won't be a problem.

In general, the core things which I want in a car - good drivability, ride, handling, frugality, space, upright seating etc. are inherent to the design/engine and is better (from my perspective) in the Jazz VX diesel.

I also want a car that I can use for 10 years plus and think the Jazz will age more gracefully.
anoop.mathew is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks