Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 11:09   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am not so sure about point #1..yes Honda has lost some of its reputation but not entirely. I think people differentiate City from Brio/Amaze just like they differentiate Innova/Fortunner from the Etios twins for Toytoa.
Maybe yes, but in reality I think we have only CRV there as the old school Honda. And on that aspect, I tihnk the Jazz does not have a huge advantage over its competition (say a Polo) other than the space management bit. But, for its price it looks very competent (or infact great value) compared to the models around and above in the same family (Amaze and the City).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 11:37   #137
BHPian

Jazz and City has been a big crush for me since it was launched in earlier version.
But thanks Honda, the more I want to buy Jazz, Honda makes every attempt to take me away. Current avatar is no different. As I mentioned in the other thread of official drive report, I came back dejected after a short TD looking at insanely priced AT and non-availability of CVT VX.

I voted for i20 with heavy heart, would go for H and not H if i was buying a hatchack.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 21:23   #138
BHPian

Honda Jazz

Being a Honda fan, its a fairly simple decision, but even after giving it some thought and weighing out the options, my decision stays the same.

1) While the i20 looks may work for some, the Jazz is racy, slick and contemporary. The Jazz is popular in the Philippines, and having seen quite a few, its truly a hot hatch, as it rarely goes unnoticed.

2) Having been in the old i20, there is very little I personally liked about it. It may check of several boxes in terms of practicality, but it failed to feel desirable. If a family member owned one in my house, its unlikely i'd ever even bother to drive it.

Hyundai has undoubtedly been very successful in India, and they have built a reputation for their mass market products; but that said, its hard to compare a Honda, considering its Japanese automotive legacy, with a Hyundai, which for most part if fairly forgettable.
Old 15th July 2015, 21:42   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualdanger View Post
Honda Jazz
Being a Honda fan, its a fairly simple decision, but even after giving it some thought and weighing out the options, my decision stays the same.
So what you're saying is your "thought and weighing out" involved thinking about a Jazz sold in another market with better tyres, a bigger motor, more features, and then comparing it to the older version of the i20 which has nothing to do with the new one? I applaud your reasoning efforts to convince yourself that being a fanboy influenced your decision in no way
IshaanIan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 23:38   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
So what you're saying is your "thought and weighing out" involved thinking about a Jazz sold in another market with better tyres, a bigger motor, more features, and then comparing it to the older version of the i20 which has nothing to do with the new one? I applaud your reasoning efforts to convince yourself that being a fanboy influenced your decision in no way
Considering I neither drove the Jazz sold in the other market, nor stated that I did, I don't see how the bigger motor, additional features, and better tyres make a difference. The car is popular, and thus allows for me to 'see' it often enough. So I can speak of its visual appeal, keeping in mind that the Jazz recently released in India looks largely similar.

As stated, I have been in the old i20, and had the similarly forgettable opportunity to see the new one as well. Cant say much has been done to increase its desirability factor. That's not to say that it doesn't do well in the areas of practicality and functionality.

Seeing that visual appeal, and desirability are subjective elements, it would mean that the opinion is subjective; and subjectivity means to each his own. But perhaps expecting someone who's entire basis is assumed, to understand that, is asking for too much.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:22   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualdanger View Post
Seeing that visual appeal, and desirability are subjective elements, it would mean that the opinion is subjective; and subjectivity means to each his own. But perhaps expecting someone who's entire basis is assumed, to understand that, is asking for too much.
Apologies, but not only are you making an opinion entirely based on assumption, the tone is also getting a bit personal here. You didn't drive either the Jazz or the i20. Your perception is based on the fact that Honda makes "desirable" cars while Hyundai makes mass-market cars. The latest ACI comparo (between the Jazz and the Elite i20) says that the Elite i20 scores on the desirability factor over the Jazz and gives the impression of being a truly premium hatchback. I personally own an Elite i20, and can vouch for the desirability factor and quality. If you compare quality of parts, I have stated in an earlier post how many problems the newer Honda cars (Amaze, Brio) are facing in India.

It is hardly fair to be comparing a Jazz with a previous gen i20 and then claiming your choice is guided by "appeal" and "desirability".
predatorwheelz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:24   #142
BHPian

The Jazz effect

The large hatchback now makes do without some of the features available on the car earlier this year. The Hyundai i20 Sportz trim gives the auto up-down for the driver window a miss, along with the boot lamp, leather-wrapped steering and gear knob. This trim is also now only offered with one folding key. The Sportz (O) trim also does away with the leather-wrapped steering and gear knob as a standard feature. In the top-spec Asta trim, Hyundai has reduced the number of power outlets to one, from the earlier two. All trim levels of the i20 now get a different seat fabric from the earlier car.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...es-396303.aspx
Old 16th July 2015, 12:31   #143

I recently booked the Elite i20 diesel and was anxiously waiting for the Jazz review on TBHP!! Honestly, I was even a little worried that I took the leap too soon and should have waited for Jazz, but after going through the review and doing a quick test drive, I'm convinced that I made the right choice. For me Elite is the more practical and VFM option.
Old 16th July 2015, 12:40   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
The Jazz effect

The large hatchback now makes do without some of the features available on the car earlier this year. The Hyundai i20 Sportz trim gives the auto up-down for the driver window a miss, along with the boot lamp, leather-wrapped steering and gear knob. This trim is also now only offered with one folding key. The Sportz (O) trim also does away with the leather-wrapped steering and gear knob as a standard feature. In the top-spec Asta trim, Hyundai has reduced the number of power outlets to one, from the earlier two. All trim levels of the i20 now get a different seat fabric from the earlier car.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...es-396303.aspx
Wow!
So they wanted to add features fearing the Jazz and now after seeing the pricing they were like "let's loot them!" and removed the features!
Just wow!
So now they will save money from Sportz variants and use it to provide touchscreen in the Top-end.

A bit off topic, but:
I think these firang manufacturers do get greedy when they step in India leaving their ethics behind.
The loot list: Toyota for the Fortuner and Innova, Hyundai for Verna and i20 and Honda for everything!
All those Japanese and Korean teachings and preaching vanish as soon as they take a step in India.
The British once looted us and now these diplomatic looters.
There's something magical about India that makes people greedy! Isn't it?
We can't blame only our government now, can we?

Last edited by RavSam : 16th July 2015 at 12:44.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 13:07   #145
Senior - BHPian

So, the I20 now doesn't even have a boot lamp (which is a very basic and useful feature) in the sports variant , talk about the ultimate premium hatchback
(Jazz offers it on all variants except the base E variant )
Hope these cost cutting measures get some flak in this forum which have been busy bashing Honda for the Jazz.

To me, it looks like Honda doesn't want much sales for the Jazz in the way they priced the car and the variants mix and in turn pushing people to the I20. Now, Hyundai doesn't want to be left behind and they are returning the favor by taking out equipment from the I20 and pushing people to the Jazz.

Last edited by adimicra : 16th July 2015 at 13:11.
Old 16th July 2015, 13:30   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
The Jazz effect
This has nothing to do with Jazz effect since the changes were in effect since Apr 2015.

Please check below post for further confirmation about deletion of power outlet in Asta etc. Why it was done so, only Hyundai knows. Maybe they got a bit over confident with the market response and decided to remove them & add it for facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewExperience View Post
Official communication on features change in Elite i20. Clearly I was one among the most affected(Sports variant).

Also note their second point "no change in the prices". Although around 10th of April, the dealer informed me about the rise in price of all variants.

Attachment 1377137
Source Hyundai dealer -Erode
Hope it helps everyone.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 13:31   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
So they wanted to add features fearing the Jazz and now after seeing the pricing they were like "let's loot them!" and removed the features!
If i read their intentions correctly - I think Hyundai is trying a wise (but evil) marketing move here. The Sports and Sports (O) variants of the Elite i20 has been priced closest to the equivalent variants of the Honda Jazz - the SV and V respectively.

Assuming there will be a small price reduction to follow for the missing features - I think Hyundai is trying to widen that gap a bit so the Jazz looks similarly overpriced across trim levels. Could be an evil (), yet effective marketing strategy attack against Honda.

Edit: Just read the above post from SchumiFan. Clearly not related to Jazz then.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th July 2015 at 13:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 18:53   #148
BHPian

I don't understand why Hyundai has decided to delete the features especially so many from the sports variant. Instead, I was thinking that they would may be add a feature or two more to the existing car to lure the buyer away from the Jazz. Can anyone provide a logical explanation?
Old 16th July 2015, 19:28   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
I don't understand why Hyundai has decided to delete the features especially so many from the sports variant. Instead, I was thinking that they would may be add a feature or two more to the existing car to lure the buyer away from the Jazz. Can anyone provide a logical explanation?
Only only logical explanation is that Jazz did not succeed in kidnapping the i20's customers. So Hyundai is having a heyday minting money from the people already in que for the i20
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 19:40   #150
BHPian

I'm voicing my opinion here, on the thread that is real hot property right now.

Please don't flame me to death

The way I see it is, Hyundai was running a bit scared, considering the might of Honda & its ability to make amazing cars, a-la the Civic, the City et all.

Thus, the initial announcement regarding the whole "We-too-will-give-the-i20-a-touch-screen!".

Then, Honda came out with the Jazz. And all the reviews said one thing, unanimously.

Toe-to-toe, penny-for-penny, the Jazz did not match the i20 for features & comforts, fancy seats & interior space aside.

Then, Hyundai management went like this:
Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 1600
Size:  1.15 MB

And then they realized, we can fleece the damn buyers more, if we just reduce some of the features that make our cars such feature laden

Real Slick, eh?

Last edited by sourav9385 : 16th July 2015 at 19:55.
sourav9385 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed