Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:27   #181
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I was drove the car for a fair distance and the driving impressions were not very positive.
  • The steering felt very nice to hold but was way too light to my liking. Just like my BIL's Santro and FIL's Bolero. I terribly missed the kind of feel my Dzire's steering would give.
  • The steering offered 0 feedback even at speeds exceeding 80 kmph - That was the maximum I could do within the city.
  • There were no speed breakers in the route we followed. But there were a couple as we entered their stockyard to check out the Creta. And Yes, I managed to scrap the bottom in one of them without much difficulty.
  • The suspension was a little too soft to my liking. Not sure of the handling as I did not try high speed lane changes or take a sharp corner.
  • While coming back, the SA took charge of the wheel and was very careful not to bottom out and a careful negotiation meant he was successful.
Hi, I own a 6 month old elite. I was initially inclined towards the honda amaze for it's 100ps engine. I test drove the honda and I was like... Honda is never a honda again. I thought of taking the polo afterwards but the interiors were heavily cramped. I purely hated the hyundais till that point as my cousin is having an old i20 with lots of steering rattling, and she is a boat. Handles like a boat, and steering is like... OMG!

There comes this friend who took a petrol elite and wanna show off the new car. I really felt a wow factor in that car. Exteriors and interiors were both top notch. Felt like the olden honda civics inside. Very comfy seats and adequate space too. And suspension handled the potholes just marvelously. No wheel noise or engine noise when the doors are shut. In between just for the sake of curiosity, I took the wheel and I was like... Is it really an i20? Compared with the older i20, the ride is much mature now. The EPS is an EPS But tightens a lot more than the old i20 at highspeeds. Also the undulations are not felt inside though I managed to bottom out at a pokey road in the city, yes I am from kerala. Being a petrol 1.2l, it lacked power and I decided to test drive a diesel. I booked for a test drive, and the hyundai guys flew to my home at 6:35 in the evening. Yes, I will be the only one in this forum mostly who test drove a car in the night. After a rigorous test run, I fixed, this car is mine.

Now 6 months have passed, and here comes the rumors about the jazz. Being a die hard honda city fan (OLD city, Don't like the new one), I fall in love with the car at the very first look. I decided for a test drive (I had a deep regret feeling in my heart for taking the elite in JAN) and called for one. They dint turn up for giving me a test drive even after 3 days and I had to go to their place to take one. I went there on my car only and got a super muted and careless executive at my disposal. He just gave me the key and sat at the back seat. I started the engine, and pure horror again. I felt like, my i20 is a Pomeranian and this one is a German shepherd, just for the sound and nothing else. I drove it for about 15mins on the highway, and I did not feel any difference in ride handling from the i20. The only thing was lack of power felt due to the linear torque development. There is no turbo rush here but the engine is equally punchy as the i20. Here also, they have used an EPS, and an EPS is an EPS. Highway stability is also similar to the i20 only, but suspension is a tad tight I guess. Because, at the highway here, in between there is a wavy undulation on the road, and the i20 takes a time to settle-down after that.. Jazz dint had that issue, but i20 is much more comfortable at normal roads. I did not like the rear section of the car. It looks good in pictures but not in real. And micra's led lights are much better than the rear lamps of the jazz. i20's rear lamps are just delicious. Interiors are not up to the mark of the i20, but dash is good. I liked the touch screen player addition, but it is just like a Chinese music player. The reverse camera feels so cheap and like a Chinese webcam. There is a lot of space at the back and one can stretch out legs with ease. The i20 is not cramped either. It has good amount of space too. But the boot is so big on the jazz. Just like a sedan. The fit and finish is not on par with the i20. Overall jazz is a good car, and they have concentrated on practicality and not premiumness.

So after riding the jazz, did I felt guilty on taking the elite? NO, Not at all. If I was more than 45 years old, and I was a fuel efficiency hungry maniac, who likes to shift home all the time, I would have. There is nothing else to be loved in the jazz when compared with the i20.

So, here is my conclusion:
If you need a young, hot, premium eye candy car, and does not mind the fuel efficiency, just the elite, nothing else
If you are an ultra practical person, who can compromise on the premiumness, NVH levels, some style elements and some comfort and fit and finish elements, just take the jazz.

Conclusion scaling:

Ride Handling: TIE
Cornering: TIE
Suspension: JAZZ
Fit, Finish & Quality of materials: ELITE
Premium feel: ELITE
Gizmos: ELITE
Practicality: JAZZ
Style elements: ELITE
Price: ELITE

Elite is a winner mostly. If elite had some more fuel efficiency, it would have been the king. 99% of the car buyers will be happy with the space elite offers them. Jazz offers some more, but who cares. No one will carry most of the household with them all the time. And the magic seats available in only top variants? Honda, you need to rethink a lot before relaunching the jazz again!

Last but not least, a tagline:

Now a days, a HYUNDAI is a HONDA, but a HONDA is not a HONDA anymore...
vishnurajanme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 20:39   #182
BHPian

Buying a car is usually an argument between the heart and the mind. In this case both were irrelevant because the wife had her mind made up about wanting an automatic.

Dropped into Sundaram Honda today and made my down payment. Getting a Taffeta White Jazz V CVT in three weeks. Was 9,28,504 with zero depreciation insurance, extended warranty and their road side assistance option.
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:09   #183
BHPian

Bro, you could have saved a bit by taking insurance outside. I guess their insurance will be in the range of 30k+ for b2b. I took the same outside for my elite and paid only 15k. I took from new india assurance. Also roadside assistance can be availed on a paid basis too if you dont get the bundled package. Anyway congrats on your new automatic. Paddle shifters will make you feel that you are driving a race car
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:57   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Bro, you could have saved a bit by taking insurance outside. I guess their insurance will be in the range of 30k+ for b2b. I took the same outside for my elite and paid only 15k. I took from new india assurance. Also roadside assistance can be availed on a paid basis too if you dont get the bundled package. Anyway congrats on your new automatic. Paddle shifters will make you feel that you are driving a race car
Sadly (or not) this will be my wife's vehicle primarily - which means I will drive it to and from 3 key locations - the petrol bunk, the service centre and 3M

You're right about the insurance - I paid 30,114 to be exact for zero dep b2b. Given who is driving it the road side assistance package was a knee jerk reaction.

Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-150723_213030_1.jpg
Old 23rd July 2015, 23:11   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[/list]If you need a young, hot, premium eye candy car, and does not mind the fuel efficiency, just the elite, nothing else If you are an ultra practical person, who can compromise on the premiumness, NVH levels, some style elements and some comfort and fit and finish elements, just take the jazz. Elite is a winner mostly. If elite had some more fuel efficiency, it would have been the king. 99% of the car buyers will be happy with the space elite offers them. Jazz offers some more, but who cares. No one will carry most of the household with them all the time. And the magic seats available in only top variants? Honda, you need to rethink a lot before relaunching the jazz again!
If someone want a spacious hatch+good boot space+petrol engine+ABS+dual airbags+Value for money . What is the best available option for him?
Old 24th July 2015, 07:33   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
If someone want a spacious hatch+good boot space+petrol engine+ABS+dual airbags+Value for money . What is the best available option for him?
Rrrr, in this case am confused to give a final answer. Because, jazz is a very spacious hatch with great boot space, but as the petrol engine is the same ivtec used in the brio, it lacks low-mid torque. In the brio, the engine perform awesomely well. But over here, it will be a disadvantage coz of the overweight jazz has put over the brio. Also 99% of the jazz owners will be using it as a family wagon. They wont be revving that hard to get performance out of it. At least when family is with them. Abs & airbags are present too, but is it not at all value for money.

If it is i20, it loses out in boot space. Inside space is kind of ok. No back seaters are gonna scrap their knees in the front seats in i20 too. Abs & airbags are present and is value for money only when you compare it with the jazz. The engine offers better pep when compared with the jazz.

If you take the fuel efficiency here, you can blindly pick the jazz! because hyundai petrols are never known to be that fuel efficient.

Also, another option you can think about is the new ford aspire minisedan. It will give all these features, but it is a ford. Just wait for the official pricing.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th July 2015 at 11:06. Reason: Please avoid chat language like Coz instead of because. Next time infraction. Thanks!
Old 24th July 2015, 15:39   #187
BHPian

My vote goes to the Jazz! of course, we own once since almost 4 years now!

Back in 2011, when we were looking for a hatchback back home, there were only 2 contenders - i20 and the Jazz.

And for us to finalize one, we had only 2 points to consider -

1) It should have ABS and Airbags.

2) Accommodating the worst possible seating scenario - I am 6'3" and my dad is 6'1". So when either of us is in the driver's seat, the other one should be able to sit right behind the driver.

Bluetooth, USB, Lighting - everything came later.

Jazz had ABS/Airbags across variants, however, the i20 had it only in the ASTA. Still we were ready to buy the top end variant of the i20 because we didn't want to compromise on the supplementary safety(restraint) system.

But the game ended when I adjusted the driver's seat in my driving position and then opened the rear door and tried getting on to the seat exactly behind the driver.

I couldn't get in - my knee was stuck in the back of the driver's seat!

We even contemplated - hey, there are going to be only 30 days in an year when me and my dad, both, would land in a situation like this - and that too can be fixed if we decided to seat diagonally, but that's when Honda announced a price cut for the Jazz and we booked it eyes closed!

In 2013, when we were looking out for a car in Bangalore, our priority was still a hatchback (Diesel this time) since it was only me and wife.

The Honda guy told us "Jazz is coming in 2 months with a Diesel variant" and we waited for it!

Nothing came and we bought the Sunny! Same criteria (Safety and seating arrangement). I bought a car costing 11.5 lacs, which would drive only 2 people 10 months in an year, and which didn't have Bluetooth, USB and other gizmos - and most importantly - which is best known for one of the worst designed cars! (no offence to Sunny owners, just my personal perception and I am a highly satisfied owner myself)

I fully understand that i20 would have sold more units than Jazz and Sunny combined, or may be in multiples of it - but when we were on the look out for both our cars, our criteria was different and no other cars fit the bill except the ones we bought!

Looking back at our decisions - we are extremely happy and satisfied! We didn't compromise on safety neither did we on the space!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 24th July 2015 at 15:43.
Safety is Param is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 18:28   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abs & airbags are present and is value for money only when you compare it with the jazz.
In case of i20 ABS and dual airbags are present only in top variant. It costs more than 60K comparing to Jazz SV variant.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 09:35   #189
BHPian

Quote:
In case of i20 ABS and dual airbags are present only in top variant. It costs more than 60K comparing to Jazz SV variant.
But for that 60K more, i20 offers:
  • bigger, better rubbers, 16inch cool to look alloys
  • unlimited kilometers warranty for 2 years
  • Automatic climate control
  • Rear cabin lamps & rear AC vents
  • Start/Stop button
  • Keyless entry & Remote trunk opener
  • Glovebox cooling
  • Leather steering wheel & Gear knobs
  • Electronic RVMs with folding & Indicators
  • Electrochromic mirrors
  • Automatic headlamps
  • Clutch lock
  • Impact sensing door auto unlock safety feature
and much more...

So?
vishnurajanme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 11:28   #190
Senior - BHPian

The Jazz vs I20 debate about to get more interesting -

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2500172_1.html
Old 25th July 2015, 11:35   #191
BHPian

First Hyundai deleted features from the Elite i20 and no it has decided to raise prices across the range : http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...creta/48211750

Shame on Hyundai. Talking exclusively about the Elite i20, they first wooed the customers with attractive price tags and features and when the customer reciprocated with admiration and love (resulting in massive sales of Elite i20), they delete features and jack up prices.

I was seriously considering the Elite i20 as the Jazz failed to impress me. But now I just don't feel like visiting a Hyundai showroom for the sheer cheap tactics that the company is adopting. I am truly disappointed. Now waiting for the Suzuki Fronx/YRA launch.

Last edited by GTO : 27th July 2015 at 11:49. Reason: Typo
captain.torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 11:45   #192
BHPian

I bought back my words. If a customer need to shell 30k extra for these features, suddenly I feel, jazz is a better value for money offering. Thank god, I bought my elite long back. So now, taking consideration about the price hike, hyundai sales will definitely fall and the advantage will be for the petrol jazz. I think, 70% of the diesel customers will still go for the i20 for that engine. But, that is indeed a pathetic decision from the hyundai stable.
Old 25th July 2015, 13:53   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The Jazz vs I20 debate about to get more interesting
Oh, this is shocking is this due to the fact that they are adding a touch screen AVN unit to the i20? My purchase decision was starting to tilt towards i20 and I was hesitantly thinking of compromising on the steering feel + handling for all that i20 offers over Jazz. Now with this news, Hyundai has brought me back to where I was. The balance is back to 50-50. The fact is, I will still be paying over i20 Asta to buy the Jazz VX (for me if it is a Jazz, it has to have Magic Seats - as simple as that) but the premium will come down big time. Please Honda offer Magic Seats in V also - Please make my job easier How I wish Honda did not make every variant look like a compromise. This is where Hyundai wins - hands down.

However on the price hike, I think Hyundai is getting a bit too confident here. The primary reasons for this hike is Honda's pricing blunder combined with the lackluster interest Jazz has generated + Amount of interest Hyundai cars are getting - More expensive Grand i10 + i20 is now outselling Swift + Ritz. They are almost monopolizing the premium hatchback segment. I am sure they were very concerned about the Jazz, but the premium pricing meant Hyundai had enough space for a price hike.

Quote:
I bought back my words. If a customer need to shell 30k extra for these features, suddenly I feel, jazz is a better value for money offering. Thank god, I bought my elite long back. So now, taking consideration about the price hike, hyundai sales will definitely fall and the advantage will be for the petrol jazz. I think, 70% of the diesel customers will still go for the i20 for that engine. But, that is indeed a pathetic decision from the hyundai stable.
Vishnu, the fact still remains that i20 will be slightly cheaper than Jazz variant by variant. But as you said, since the difference has come down a bit, more people might look as Jazz as a more serious option - especially the SV and V variants.
Old 25th July 2015, 14:39   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post

Vishnu, the fact still remains that i20 will be slightly cheaper than Jazz variant by variant. But as you said, since the difference has come down a bit, more people might look as Jazz as a more serious option - especially the SV and V variants.

Well, I don't think so..let's wait for the new prices for the I20.
But, many of the petrol variants of Jazz are within 10K of the corresponding variant of the I20. So, after this hike, some variants of the Jazz (petrol in particular) will most probably be cheaper than the I20.

But, if you are comparing the Asta and the VX, Jazz will still be costlier.

Makes it more interesting I guess!
Old 28th July 2015, 22:56   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
But for that 60K more, i20 offers:
  • bigger, better rubbers, 16inch cool to look alloys
  • unlimited kilometers warranty for 2 years
  • Automatic climate control
  • Rear cabin lamps & rear AC vents
  • Start/Stop button
  • Keyless entry & Remote trunk opener
  • Glovebox cooling
  • Leather steering wheel & Gear knobs
  • Electronic RVMs with folding & Indicators
  • Electrochromic mirrors
  • Automatic headlamps
  • Clutch lock
  • Impact sensing door auto unlock safety feature
and much more...

So?
May be he wants ABS+air bags and others doesn't really matter. So ? May be not every one needs the bells & whistles shoved down their throat if they are concerned about safety.
drpudhi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed