Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 21:36   #331

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Good to see the very low details of the cars and comparisons supported by hard facts, numbers.

I'm no that savvy to understand the nitty gritties nor measure myself. When I decided to upgrade from my 10-year old Zen (owned an Alto for 4 years prior to that), I was initially looking at Amaze vs Dzire. I never considered a Hyundai car - no offense meant to Hyundai lovers. Decided to TD Elite i20 and Xcent, suddenly Xcent is in the race - wifey and kids did not like Elite i20, impressed with Xcent!

All of a sudden, Jazz came into picture. We did a TD of Jazz as well, all of us are smitten by the refreshing, sporty looks of Jazz. I very much think Elite wins hands down wrt features, quality of interiors (exterior looks are very much subjective I feel - I felt Elite looks classy but not eye catching as Jazz is, again my personal opinion).

Why I chose Jazz despite knowing Elite is feature rich, better-quality interiors, VFM compared to Jazz? I believe the primary reasons are exterior looks, family vote and more importantly desire to own a honda car at least once in life :-). I suspect I'm biased towards Honda, never heard good feedback about Hyundai cars from freinds who own them, so it formed a -ve opinion about Hyundai in my subconscious.

Thought i would share my views - not technical nor substantiated by any proofs.
srinid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 08:56   #332

Just wanted to add that Jazz's interiors are not bad, I'm happy with the interiors (may be coming from 14-years of driving Maruti cars, it is relatively much better :-), my only crib is rear bench could have even better cushion and under thigh support as my family spends almost all time on the rear bench. No complaints at all about front seats.

Just to highlight how a common person with no technical knowledge of cars thinks : when I told my wife that Elite is VFM than Jazz, she simply said "but, its not Honda".
Old 9th October 2015, 09:31   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
2. Regarding the servicing charges, I guess, you know the fact that i20 comes with a 1 year service interval and the jazz comes with a 6 month service interval.

Total Maintenance Cost for Honda Jazz in 5 years: 39,757
Total Maintenance Cost for Hyundai Elite i20 in 6 years: 17,173
Courtesy: Cardekho website
Most of these websites are crap and have zero accountability.
So, no point in quoting. And that's why we have a forum like team bhp where people speak from experience.

Have you maintained a Honda or Hyundai car for long term (5+ years) ?

If any company is claiming yearly service interval, then they have to use synthetic engine oil which itself costs 800 Rs per liter or more. SO, that alone will cost around 3000 Rs. and then we have labour (where Hyundai is notorious for high costs) and part and fluid replacements. So, there is no way the service cost can be so low as you have quoted for I20.

What I did mention about long term from service costs is from experience. I have observed that Hyundai service recommends replacement of parts and fluid more frequently than Honda which becomes evident from 3rd or 4th year onwards and also their labour costs are pretty high. For Jazz, in 5 years, total maintenance cost would be around 30000-35000 for me which includes replacement of front brake bads once and wipers couple of times.
If anyone has maintained an I20 for 5+ years, please do share your experience. My experiences with Hyundai is somewhat outdated I admit.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 09:42   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
In Jazz, there is some slight delay in throttle response at low rpms (<2000 ) which makes it feel somewhat lethargic.
Slight delay is quite an understatement. Sorry, but that's a very biased pov. I hope we are referring to the new Jazz and not the old one? The new one has been tweaked for better FE and the low end response was more lethargic than the old one I drove.

Quote:
But all the new 1.2 petrol engines with variable valve timing are pretty weak in low end response. The I20 is also bad and so is the Jazz (Swift is slightly better) I20 may have a slight advantage also due to shorter gearing.
Yup, I agree all the new 1.2 engines have been significantly dialled down in the interest of FE. In terms of low end response I would rate them as Ritz>>Swift>>Elite i20>>Jazz.

Quote:
But at least in Jazz, if you downshift properly, you can hit the sweet spot and rev it hard to get very good acceleration. The I20 engine is not at all rev happy and doesn't like to be revved hard. So, there is no sweet spot to speak of.
That's precisely the problem. You need to keep downshifting as the engine power band is in a much higher rpm. This needs downshifts to overtake. This can be fun to drive but it is not a desirable characteristic.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 10:09   #335
Senior - BHPian

Vid, there is nothing biased here.. Yes, I have driven the old Jazz extensively but the new Jazz for a short while. So, my viewpoint will be always more from the owner of the old jazz which on paper seems to have same engine gearbox etc as the new one.
So, if you say that the new one is worse than the old one in performance in low end response which is possible as Honda and others are just crazily going for higher FE, then probably you are right. Actually I m pretty pissed of with Honda about the fact that they have further deteriorated the low end response instead of improving it.

But the point is the I20 itself is pretty bad. Also, the I20 petrol motor is lethargic at high rpms as well. So, if you compare relatively, there is nothing much to complain about the Jazz in this aspect.

Can you post some videos about the issue you are talking about?
I can post some videos for my old jazz where I feel the issue of low end reponse or rather the lack of it is there but not this much.

Last edited by adimicra : 9th October 2015 at 10:13.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 10:20   #336
BHPian

Voted for Honda Jazz. For me i20 is just another hatch or a premium hatch however Jazz has always been more then a car. Its a hatch with great utility and space and now with the latest version it adds the premium factor also.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:47   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Voted for Honda Jazz. For me i20 is just another hatch or a premium hatch however Jazz has always been more then a car. Its a hatch with great utility and space and now with the latest version it adds the premium factor also.
Exactly my thoughts but with one exception. It's given away the major USP and premiumness it garnered with those Magic seats. Honda surely missed a trick by not providing them from at least SV variant. SV variant is almost VFM but addition of Magic seats would have made it extremely VFM. That would have been a choice for many who ertswhile are switchig to other options.

Jazz has always been a car I love and desire. Currently, when I am in the market for buying an hatchback, I did TD Jazz iVTECH. Loved the car, the space on offer, the legroom and the humongous boot. Not so much the city drivability but nothing much to complain.

Except, in my budget I could reach up to SV variant only; which lacks Alloy wheels, ACC and Magic seats amongst other things.

- Alloy wheels - can be managed in aftermarket
- ACC - I can live without
- Magic Seats - sorely miss them. As the other seats are not as comfy as magic seats. Also, once seeing the functionality of the magic seats, my parents and wife were not ready for the other seats.

I liked the 1st gen i20 design more than the current one. Elite i20, it seems is overly designed for my liking.

Moreover, the small and high rear windows was a deal breaker for me. My parents are little lesser than 5 1/2 feet, and they found it claustrophobic. Windowline was far too high. As they would be occupying the rear bench most of the times, this surely was a factor to be considered.

Besides, in my budget, again mid-variant of petrol i20 was feasible. And, as we already have discussed here, petrol i20, to say it mildly, is boring to drive.

Between Jazz and i20, definitey Jazz.

What did I finally book? A Figo - titanium diesel almost in the price of Jazz SV petrol).
teemus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 11:00   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
What did I finally book? A Figo - titanium diesel almost in the price of Jazz SV petrol).
Great choice teemus for booking Figo, Congratulations. The Ford siblings are the best value for money as of today and one cannot simply ignore all the features and safety equipment on offer.

Completely agree with you on the magic seats. They are the biggest USP of Jazz and Honda should not have limited them to the top model. I am not sure how often they will be used but surely you can flaunt them to your friends and family and easily win arguments whenever you are comparing it to the feature lists of other cars. They are absolutely 'Magical'.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 14:04   #339
BHPian

My completely biased vote goes to the Jazz. Everything else aside, Elite i20 does not offer any option for a buyer like me who was looking for an Automatic transmission. Premium hatch without an auto tranny? Not even with the Adam's era 4 speed torque converter? They have same engine coupled with the auto transmission in the non-premium offerings Grand i10 and Xcent, but not in the Elite. So much for being a premium hatch.
mandywanders is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 14:32   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Great choice teemus for booking Figo, Congratulations. The Ford siblings are the best value for money as of today and one cannot simply ignore all the features and safety equipment on offer.
Thanks!! Ford has surely hit the sweet spot in terms of pricing.

Quote:
Completely agree with you on the magic seats. They are the biggest USP of Jazz and Honda should not have limited them to the top model. I am not sure how often they will be used but surely you can flaunt them to your friends and family and easily win arguments whenever you are comparing it to the feature lists of other cars. They are absolutely 'Magical'.
Regarding utility of Magic seats, we certainly would have used it. Whenever we visit to Mumbai, while returning we buy plants near Santacruz and bring it to Pune, it's lot cheaper there. In Santro, we put it in the boot with parcel tray removed and all our luggage is on the rear seat. With Magic seats, this would be much simpler.

This is just one scenario, I can see myself using it much more. Alas, that was not meant to be!
Old 9th October 2015, 15:48   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandywanders View Post
My completely biased vote goes to the Jazz. Everything else aside, Elite i20 does not offer any option for a buyer like me who was looking for an Automatic transmission. Premium hatch without an auto tranny? Not even with the Adam's era 4 speed torque converter? They have same engine coupled with the auto transmission in the non-premium offerings Grand i10 and Xcent, but not in the Elite. So much for being a premium hatch.
Thats exactly my thoughts. Looking out for an automatic and i20 is the only "premium" car that does not have an AT option. Why i10 and Xcent below gets it. verna and creta above gets it but not i20 no one else but hyundai can answer.

With the competition increasing all around, why hyundai is not coming up with an AT option is really absurd. Hoping it comes with some facelift within the next 6 months.
Old 9th October 2015, 17:25   #342
BHPian

This debate is getting pretty hot. adimicra & vishnurajanme both holding on to their respective grounds. I am 2 weeks into my Asta (O) ownership & i love the elite. Jazz was my first choice throughout, but elite drew me closer. The lack in power just needs some getting used to. Once you set your drive according to the gear ratios of the car, you face no problems whatsoever. As Vid mentioned, in the city, you will never do a 0-100 when you are at a stop light, nor if you have family on board. Inclines, full load with ac on is not a problem in elite i20. As i said, you just need to get used to this car. What i like about Jazz is the quality of magic seats(VX), roomy interiors, thanks to abundant glass & the petrol engine from Honda. 3 things where i believe genuinely Honda deserves a pat on the back. However, elite seats is almost at par with the magic seats. Under thigh support in i20 is better. The seats in i20 offer more thigh support than jazz, hence you feel you get more space inside the jazz. (pun intended : imagine a small stool versus a chair. The chair holds more of your bottom than the stool). I haven't measured this though. Just talking out of experience.
Regaring the roomy cabin in the jazz, it is a positive for sure. But not a dealbreaker. My wife who always sits on the passenger seat feels the i20 is better due to its higher window line. Result, less sunlight on her arms(tanning and all). Wife happy, me happy. end of discussion.

The i20 features, though not a necessity, does make you feel good. The AVN is very good, in terms of picture clarity, navigation & also the integration into the unit. I prefer the factory fitted model since it looks better integrated, rather than an add-on later on. The add-on AVN looks rusty and finishing is not to my liking. Check this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3821932

Interior plastic quality & finishing in i20 is leagues ahead of the jazz. No debate here.

Top end i20 being cheaper than Jazz is another + in favor of the elite. Drop in Jazz numbers month on month is another indication that the initial hulla is slowly fading. Any car you buy, you will love your car, no matter what. When you sit inside your car, you must be happy. It doesn't matter what make and model it is. Its your choice.

In the end, the segment wins. With Baleno coming up, we will add an elite/Jazz/baleno thread too
AveekKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 11:48   #343
BHPian

My vote, Honda Jazz!

Before I write why?

I drive a 2009 Maruti Ritz vxi ABS (66K on odo,Tall boy, Plenty of Head room, Feels roomier than actually is, A good engine, average FE, small boot ) and a 2013 Maruti A start Automatic (18K on odo, Small car, an Automatic, Cramped rear seats, below average FE, wife’s car).
So when I am looking for an replacement for Ritz, want :
1. Space : Ample of it, head room, shoulder room, leg room, Bigger boot, rear seats.
2. Good engine : Preferably a Diesel, should equally smooth in and out of cities.
3. FE : Has to be good.
4. Safety : Both my cars have ABS, so that was the minimum required. With EBD, Airbags being the next added things.

Took a long, back to back test drives of both Jazz and i20.
Jazz ticks most of my requirement -
1. Feels way more roomier. When I asked my three year old what he liked on jazz, his reaction – “I can stand tall on back seats and look at other cars!” I take it as a really good head room with larger glass area. His reaction summed it all for me! Wifey was happy to stretch legs on rear seats. Head room definitely a big plus on Jazz.
2. Gear shifts on i20 was way smoother. I kind of liked the drive on both cars, heart tends towards Jazz. Really would like to take one more round of TD before I hit the decision.
3. FE : Jazz looks better on paper here.
4. Effect of AC was enough in Jazz, my dad at rear seat did not complain.
5. NVH, not as silent as i20. But I can live with it.
6. AVN : Funny thing happened on Jazz VX, touch screen was not responsive to finger and multiple attempts were required. SA showed the way to do it, use your nails! (not sure if it was Test drive vehicle effect on jazz)
7. OTR price. For Pune(PCMC).
Honda Jazz
VX 10.45L
V 9.89L
Hyundai i20
Asta (O) 10.01L
Asta 9.79L

Hyundai – No insurance from Outside. Honda – Ok, but said watch out!
Old 12th October 2015, 20:26   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacd80 View Post
6. AVN : Funny thing happened on Jazz VX, touch screen was not responsive to finger and multiple attempts were required. SA showed the way to do it, use your nails! (not sure if it was Test drive vehicle effect on jazz)
Actually that is because it isn't a capacitive (heat sensitive) touch-screen like most phones come with these days. It is a resistive touch-screen panel like the one on really old smart phones that came with a stylus
Old 12th October 2015, 21:20   #345
BHPian

Elite i20 owners, what about the i20 touch screens? Resistive or capacitive?

Most Viewed