Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2016, 17:21   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post

Do comment considering I need a Petrol and NOT a Diesel. If it would have been a D, i20 is a no brainer.

I have driven the i20 elite petrol and own a Brio (haven't really driven the Jazz petrol but Brio and Jazz share the same engine)

i20 is a better vehicle to drive around in the city, it has much better low end torque as compared to Jazz, but the ivtec engine of Jazz rules on the highways.

Jazz wins hands down when it comes to space (not that i20 will be uncomfortable).

I found the build quality of i20 to be superior but it is not possible to comment on the magnitude of superiority.

I would suggest you to go with i20, and if you are open to other cars then I would suggest you look at Baleno, it is a newer car, has a great engine, looks good, offers lots of features and the price is comparable to i20 and Jazz
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 18:57   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
.....1. We have a new gen. Honda City with >80K kms on board and has been relatively fuss free for the last 8 yrs. Considering the resale would take a steep dive if we keep this any further, it is time for a replacement...
First things first - what's the re-sale hit that you will have to bear if you sell the car couple of years later (% wise)? Unless the car is giving some mechanical trouble, it would still make a lot of (financial) sense to stick on to it.

If you can work out the re-sale prices of the car at this point of time (8 years) and then at 10 years / 12 years / 15 years, you'll get a good insight to this.

Quote:
.....1. I need a car as good as the City afa reliability is concerned and looking for Petrols only. I know Jazz petrol is better than i20 but is the difference substantial which can take away the grin from my face if I drive an i20 ?...
I have never driven both and hence NOT biased, but have "felt" the products. If I put myself in your shoes, I'll buy a Honda petrol or a i20 diesel; no other factors withstanding. The petrol i20 is definitely under powered; coming from a 1.5L City, am pretty sure you wouldn't feel happy.

Feature wise, there wouldn't be much difference, build quality of an i20 is definitely better while space in Jazz is slightly better; i20 is definitely NOT cramped though the dark interiors give a sense of that. Design wise, I'll still go with i20 as the Jazz has a weird stance from rear.

Edit::

I second the above post on checking the Baleno petrol! Am sure it's a worthy contender.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th February 2016 at 19:01.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 22:06   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
First things first - what's the re-sale hit that you will have to bear if you sell the car couple of years later (% wise)? Unless the car is giving some mechanical trouble, it would still make a lot of (financial) sense to stick on to it.

If you can work out the re-sale prices of the car at this point of time (8 years) and then at 10 years / 12 years / 15 years, you'll get a good insight to this.

I have never driven both and hence NOT biased, but have "felt" the products. If I put myself in your shoes, I'll buy a Honda petrol or a i20 diesel; no other factors withstanding. The petrol i20 is definitely under powered; coming from a 1.5L City, am pretty sure you wouldn't feel happy.

Feature wise, there wouldn't be much difference, build quality of an i20 is definitely better while space in Jazz is slightly better; i20 is definitely NOT cramped though the dark interiors give a sense of that. Design wise, I'll still go with i20 as the Jazz has a weird stance from rear.

Edit::

I second the above post on checking the Baleno petrol! Am sure it's a worthy contender.
One by one:

1. I don't live in India and have 1 month only twice a year to do all these calculations. we showed the car to some dealers and they are quoting ~2.5 lacs on average. The max we have been quoted till now is <3 lacs. Even though I am not so keen on selling the vehicle, I only assume that if not now, then after 2 years for sure, we would need a new one. Hence the plunge.

2. You made me move more towards the Jazz as I know i20 petrol as not bad in performance but not as good as Jazz petrol. In every other area, i20 is a better product. No 2 opinions on this.

3. Baleno commands a loooong waiting time and all that I don't have is time. I will be in India only for a month (May) or so and would close this within that. Hence the contention is between i20 and Jazz leaving Baleno out.

Thank you for the response.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 13:17   #379
BHPian

My eyes for good one and half years were fixed onto elite i20, just for its sheer looks, road presence, ASS and those awesome looking 16" diamond cut alloy wheels.
Having test driven many cars, the Petrol engines performance was not upto my liking. I was using my Alto for good three years and at highways I did only thing, which was cribbing for the discomfort while driving and poor engine response. For city ride Alto was a champ. Thinking on these lines I was inclined to pick a higher cc Petrol engine with good power. Elite i20s Petrol engine was a disappointment.
Honda jazz was not in the consideration zone, but somehow managed to drive one after too much of push from a friend of mine who kept on calling from Kolkata literally insisting me to drive jazz. I drove Jazz and forgot about this car.
Then again in the month of January 2016 end I and another friend of mine from Mangalore discussed in detail about jazz and then I booked it on Feb 2, 2016. The thud sound of door locking in jazz is more reassuring as compared to elite i20. Jazz Petrol engine is more refined and revv friendly as compared to i20. Feature wise elite i20 stands tall and overall looks. Hyundai cars are manufactured near my office and all their tier one, two and three suppliers are my customers. On seeking their opinion regarding these two cars, they advised jazz hands down. And at the end of the day Honda is Honda.
Old 25th February 2016, 15:59   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
My eyes for good one and half years were fixed onto elite i20, just for its sheer looks, road presence, ASS and those awesome looking 16" diamond cut alloy wheels.
Having test driven many cars, the Petrol engines performance was not upto my liking. I was using my Alto for good three years and at highways I did only thing, which was cribbing for the discomfort while driving and poor engine response. For city ride Alto was a champ. Thinking on these lines I was inclined to pick a higher cc Petrol engine with good power. Elite i20s Petrol engine was a disappointment.
Honda jazz was not in the consideration zone, but somehow managed to drive one after too much of push from a friend of mine who kept on calling from Kolkata literally insisting me to drive jazz. I drove Jazz and forgot about this car.
Then again in the month of January 2016 end I and another friend of mine from Mangalore discussed in detail about jazz and then I booked it on Feb 2, 2016. The thud sound of door locking in jazz is more reassuring as compared to elite i20. Jazz Petrol engine is more refined and revv friendly as compared to i20. Feature wise elite i20 stands tall and overall looks. Hyundai cars are manufactured near my office and all their tier one, two and three suppliers are my customers. On seeking their opinion regarding these two cars, they advised jazz hands down. And at the end of the day Honda is Honda.
There must be a correction. The thud sound in closing the door of the Jazz is not even half assuring that of the i20. i20 feels 80% heavy just like the punto especially in the door closing side. In the jazz, it is moreover close to a wagon r door closure. Also the i20 3 step door closure pattern is more of a European standard compared with the 2 step (yes it is there but very feeble feedback) one of the Jazz. Regarding the petrol engine, elite i20 has more low and mid end grunt where as the jazz concentrates it's power on higher rpms. So for highway rides, jazz is any day better, but for city, i20 is good. And regarding the petrols, honda is a honda mostly.

Thats y i own a diesel elite & a petrol jazz
vishnurajanme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 18:43   #381
BHPian

It's very true that i20 really feels better on "thud" part comparing to the Jazz. Also, i20 Petrol feels good at the city limits and effortlessly pulls without giving an accelerator input (good low end). I did really miss the power on tap when needed, it takes it's own time to respond. However, in highways one can easily crosses 14X kmph in open highway without giving much strain to the engine. In addition to that it was very stable and did not feel undulated. But the same couldn't achieve in the regular roads. I really understood that anything more than 100 isn't advisable in our roads, but this was tested once.
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 19:27   #382
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Need input for my Next car.
I have zeroed down to 2 cars , I 20 Petrol and Honda Jazz petrol.
Not planning to buy a new car, I will look into the used market.
Help needed:
Which of these two are known to perform better with Sequential CNG Kit...?
Which has a better suspension while driving on broken roads..?
Which suspension will have less affects due to the additional load of CNG cylinder...?
Since I will be driving at night mostly , which of these have better headlights(though these can be upgraded)...?
Parts availability after market , since buying used ..?

Thanks in advance
Old 29th February 2016, 18:07   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Hi Guys,
Need input for my Next car.
I have zeroed down to 2 cars , I 20 Petrol and Honda Jazz petrol.
Not planning to buy a new car, I will look into the used market.
Help needed:
Which of these two are known to perform better with Sequential CNG Kit...?
Which has a better suspension while driving on broken roads..?
Which suspension will have less affects due to the additional load of CNG cylinder...?
Since I will be driving at night mostly , which of these have better headlights(though these can be upgraded)...?
Parts availability after market , since buying used ..?

Thanks in advance
Jazz has a stiffer suspension. So the added weight will make it more stiff. I20 is soft sprung when comparing with the jazz.

Regarding the riding comfort in undulated roads, it depends on how heavy the undulations are and at what speed you are riding the car.

For example, if you drive at 30-60 speeds via the broken road/ no road condition, the i20 will cocoon you. But if you drive at 70+ speeds on the same road, the jazz wins hands down. It depends on your driving pattern. But for usual runs, i20 will be better. For cornering, jazz is much better because of the stiffer springs. Just analyse both cars based on your driving pattern and finalize the car accordingly.

Regarding the headlights, i feel almost the same throw of light in both my cars. But the jazz has a better foglamp i guess. 35W compared with 27.5W in the i20. In the i20, the fogs are just for show. Thats it. I have upgraded them to philips crystalvision 37.5W foglamp bulbs in the same factory wiring and now they are on par or slightly better than the jazz oem fogs.

If you need better vision, plonk a projector hid. It will work irrespective of the car lamps.

Parts availability is not at all a problem here. Both are still in their nurturing phase and wont get phased out in a 10 year time for sure. But regarding hyundais, we cant predict much. They may come with a ferrari type i20 in the next phase. God knows. Jazz will be retained for another 10 years by honda for sure.

Regarding cng, I don't know much, but my thoughts. Jazz is a rev friendly car. The power builds up at ultra high rpms. So if you run on cng, because of the cng power loss, it may take a time to get the car to such high rpms. The i20 on the other hand has better low end torque. So the cng will spool up nicely. Just my thought. Am a layman. Let the geeks speak more on this.

And now a one brief answer. Both are great petrol cars. But the i20 will be a better pick for the cng as it has much less resale value, good low rpm torque for cng, and soft sprung suspension.
vishnurajanme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 22:03   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Regarding cng, I don't know much, but my thoughts. Jazz is a rev friendly car. The power builds up at ultra high rpms. So if you run on cng, because of the cng power loss, it may take a time to get the car to such high rpms. The i20 on the other hand has better low end torque. So the cng will spool up nicely. Just my thought. Am a layman. Let the geeks speak more on this.
Thanks for the suggestion friends. I have bought the I20 Asta Petrol. It costed approx 4.0 Lakh , CNG is yet to be installed. I have Zeroed down to lovato CNG kit sequential. Will update post installation. As of now enjoying all the features of the baby.

Last edited by ampere : 12th May 2016 at 07:20. Reason: Formatted Post; fixed quoted post
Old 28th May 2016, 09:24   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Jazz has a stiffer suspension. So the added weight will make it more stiff. I20 is soft sprung when comparing with the jazz.

Regarding the riding comfort in undulated roads, it depends on how heavy the undulations are and at what speed you are riding the car.

For example, if you drive at 30-60 speeds via the broken road/ no road condition, the i20 will cocoon you. But if you drive at 70+ speeds on the same road, the jazz wins hands down. It depends on your driving pattern. But for usual runs, i20 will be better. For cornering, jazz is much better because of the stiffer springs. Just analyse both cars based on your driving pattern and finalize the car accordingly.

Regarding the headlights, i feel almost the same throw of light in both my cars. But the jazz has a better foglamp i guess. 35W compared with 27.5W in the i20. In the i20, the fogs are just for show. Thats it. I have upgraded them to philips crystalvision 37.5W foglamp bulbs in the same factory wiring and now they are on par or slightly better than the jazz oem fogs.

If you need better vision, plonk a projector hid. It will work irrespective of the car lamps.

Parts availability is not at all a problem here. Both are still in their nurturing phase and wont get phased out in a 10 year time for sure. But regarding hyundais, we cant predict much. They may come with a ferrari type i20 in the next phase. God knows. Jazz will be retained for another 10 years by honda for sure.

And now a one brief answer. Both are great petrol cars. But the i20 will be a better pick for the cng as it has much less resale value, good low rpm torque for cng, and soft sprung suspension.
HI Sir,
Do you believe that already under powered i20 will be able to pull additional weight of CNG tank and will perform well on CNG fuel?
Petrol costs are coming down now do you think its still a better idea to switch to CNG?
Old 28th May 2016, 09:47   #386
BHPian

I was also 'torn' between Jazz and i20 earlier this month.

After test drives, i straightaway bought i20 Active diesel and spent another 50 thousands with 3M - PPF, one year protection. No accessories, coating - nothing at all from hyundai dealer.

And i love the 'Active' - full of everything - even the simple steering feedback accurate reversing camera is so good that i feel happy i bought the 'tatkaal' elite i20.

Only problem was that Silver color was available with only one dealer in whole of Delhi. So not even a single paisa discount. In fact, overpaid Rs. 9000/- which the dealer is yet to refund back to me. The Hyundai dealer - Frontier Hyundai - handed car papers loose, not even filed in a Rs. 10 file folder - unlike Toyota and Honda.

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 28th May 2016 at 09:59.
Old 12th September 2016, 15:55   #387
BHPian

I had few sleepless nights thinking over i20 or Jazz. Now settled on Jazz and I dont regret a bit !

In my personal opinion, Jazz is more refined in NVH area, better reliability and butter smooth petrol engine. Jazz has enormous leg room and big boot space too.
abhaybakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 21:28   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I had few sleepless nights thinking over i20 or Jazz. Now settled on Jazz and I dont regret a bit !
Good choice. 6+ years on I don't regret it either. The Honda Jazz (mine in the earlier 2010 version) has been the single most reliable car I have owned/driven in 35 years. In my case I took the 5+2 year warranty.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 23:36   #389
BHPian

I'm in the market for a new Petrol Hatchback and I'm seriously confused between the Jazz and the Elite i20. I would be using this car primarily for city driving(60-70% city, remaining highways). The car wouldn't be used for expressway trips or anything like that. I would be driving it for around 800-1000kms a month, so a good FE is required. I've been going through the Jazz/i20 review threads and have realized that the Jazz has a lethargic bottom end below 2,500RPM(I usually don't cross it while driving) whereas the i20 performs poorly on the highways. So I'm unable to make up my mind as to which one to go for. Would be great if you guys can help out!

Last edited by nimit3105 : 29th September 2016 at 23:50.
Old 30th September 2016, 00:57   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
I've been going through the Jazz/i20 review threads and have realized that the Jazz has a lethargic bottom end below 2,500RPM(I usually don't cross it while driving)
Since majority of your drive is within city, the issue with Jazz is something you shouldn't overlook. Go for some test drives & try to emulate city driving. You will realise what the reviews are saying.

Moreover, you don't seem like an aggressive driver as per your comment. If that's the case, i20's highway performance should be good enough for you.

This thread lists various pros and cons of both cars. Take test drives, weigh your priorities & decide accordingly. What works for one person may not work for another.

I would suggest you to consider Ford Figo automatic also another option, just to add more confusion

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks