Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 13:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Wagon R would be phased out by the end of this year.
Around Novemebr most probably.
Would be replaced by a similar boxed car.But more stable.

Infact i am planning to sell myne before the phase out.

So Avoid Wagon R.Information from well placed sources in the industry.
Last i read somewhere was that it will have a K-Series engine sometime next year.
And given the kind of sales numbers it is doing, don't think Maruti will be in any hurry to discontinue it.
Old 8th March 2010, 13:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

any update on same!

One of my friends is asking me same question! Budget is 4L OTR!

Which one to buy A santro or Wagon-R. Highway usage once in a while up to 700 kms and city usage is limited.

Rear bench ride of Wagon-r is bumpy. how is rear bench of Santro? Ride is as bumpy as Wagon-R?

Any news of new wagon-r? Also his main concern is A.S.S in case of breakdown at village place during the long drives!

Which one has better road side assistance, Hyundai or MSIL?
Old 8th March 2010, 18:26   #63
BHPian

^^
Quite frankly, there isnt much to choose from here between Santro and Wagon R.

Both have a bumpy backseat ride since they are 'small' tall boys. And for both, the suspension is nothing to write home about - it is simply BASIC.

The rear seat can comfortably take 2 at best. Put in a 3rd adult and they'll be fighting for space (it is even lesser than the old zen).

Both have decent to good A.S.S. , similiar maintenance & running costs etc. They'll chug along, nothing really goes wrong.

For both of them - a 'newer' version is expected during this year.

It all depends upon which one the buyer himself likes - By looks and by the drive feel. That should help the decision.

Everything else will be a personal experience based opinion which would go either way.

My suggestion - ditch both and get the Ritz (P/D). At a little over 4, it i s far better.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Rear bench ride of Wagon-r is bumpy. how is rear bench of Santro? Ride is as bumpy as Wagon-R?
Ride at rear is better in the WagonR as compared to Santro. Ask your friend to test ride at the back in both the cars and he will know the difference himself.

Quote:
Any news of new wagon-r?
Its coming for sure. Most probably next month itself.

Quote:
Obviously MSIL. But Hyundai is catching up fast.

Last edited by DCEite : 8th March 2010 at 20:03.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:58   #65
SLK
Senior - BHPian

And the debate goes on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
My suggestion - ditch both and get the Ritz (P/D). At a little over 4, it i s far better.
WagonR is previous generation. If your friend can afford a Ritz! WagonR should not be an option.

WagonR is basic?
Basic is 800....
And if Wagonr feels 3 times better then an 800.
Ritz feels 5 times better than a WagonR.
Old 9th March 2010, 06:05   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
And the debate goes on.....

WagonR is previous generation. If your friend can afford a Ritz! WagonR should not be an option.

WagonR is basic?
Basic is 800....
And if Wagonr feels 3 times better then an 800.
Ritz feels 5 times better than a WagonR.
A little more investment towards Ritz LXI is definitely worth it.
Old 9th March 2010, 08:32   #67
BHPian

Internationally Suzuki Splash (Ritz in India) replaced the Wagon R. Only here, Maruti is continuing the Wagon R alongside Ritz.

Considering this international fact, one should rather go in for the Ritz, than Wagon R. (Sooner or later there is all likelihood that Maruti may dump Wagon R considering its design age - refurbishing notwithstanding - and competition in the small hatch segment.) Just my thoughts.
Old 9th March 2010, 08:48   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
(Sooner or later there is all likelihood that Maruti may dump Wagon R considering its design age - refurbishing notwithstanding - and competition in the small hatch segment.) Just my thoughts.
The dealers are saying (when I last checked 3 months back) that Wagon R will not be phased out for the next 2 years at least.
But who knows about the market dynamics !
Old 9th March 2010, 11:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

any update on same!

One of my friends is asking me same question! Budget is 4L OTR!

Which one to buy A santro or Wagon-R. Highway usage once in a while up to 700 kms and city usage is limited.

Any news of new wagon-r? Also his main concern is A.S.S in case of breakdown at village place during the long drives!

Santro and WagonR are both excellent cars and have been best sellers in the past.

But in the current market scenario, it doesn't make sense to opt for either of these. Both of them are dated models and there are better options available now.

If your friend can increase his budget slightly, Ritz Lxi would be best for his requirements.

i10 1.1 ERA is also a good option at this price range.

Modern cars are quite trouble free. Availability of road side assistance should not be a deciding factor unless the car would be used predominantly on the highways.

Rohan
Old 9th March 2010, 13:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys. i had advised most of above mentioned points to my friends. But wanted to get opinion of BHP-ians

I had advised about i10 Era also. But he told, his budget is strictly 4L OTR.

Anyways, will check with him!
Old 10th March 2010, 10:52   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Recshenoy,

Neither make the cut today. I'd highly recommend the Chevy Beat instead:

- VFM pricing. More or less in the same range

- Excellent ride quality. No bumpiness at all, unlike the Santro & WagonR

- A thoroughly modern hatchback

- Korean engineered car, thus the maintenance & reliability will be reasonable

- Available with ABS & airbags
Old 10th March 2010, 16:46   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Recshenoy,

Neither make the cut today. I'd highly recommend the Chevy Beat instead:
================
- Available with ABS & airbags
@GTO: How do yo see the spare parts availability/price for both Beat and Spark over next 3-4 years? If I may ask. Do you think, they will be affordable by then or too expensive like Fiat in its early years?
Old 10th March 2010, 16:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO. Even I advised to put extra money (you see its Bangalore) and go for Beat top end with all safety feature.

He said, this is my first car and i don't want to buy other than MSIL or Hyundai
what to do, he is a typical Indian buyer. Some years back it used to be "i want only MSIL" now i hear MSIL or Hyundai. Surely over the years, the Indian customer will mature. Surely we should thanks Chevy and Ford for cut throat pricing!

Now coming back to my friend, he asked me below question which confused my Auto-emotions

"don't you think since Wagon-r is not so wide and its boxy, will it not topple at high speeds" he is a project manager, so next he told "MSIL don't have any standard fed back methodology where in they take feedback regarding need for wider Wagon-R. they should have take note of customer needs" (how i wish MSIL did this)

i told, "i know people who go at 110+ on wagon-r, if you have any plans of going faster than this, please go for next version say Ritz which is wider or a Swift"

So finally i left decision to him, TD both with people who sit with you on long drives and decide.

OT:

What is possibility of Wagon-R toppling at high speed? I haven't come across any. You guys have any news of same?

Last edited by recshenoy : 10th March 2010 at 16:58.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:07   #74
BHPian

Funnily, i just stumbled upon this piece where Clarkson says the Suzuki Wagon R should be "avoided like unprotected sex with an Ethiopian transvestite".

But i'm sure he'll have something similar to say if he drove a santro.
Old 10th March 2010, 18:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
don't you think since Wagon-r is not so wide and its boxy, will it not topple at high speeds
Cheetah is both tall and narrow and can reach over 100 km/h. Does he topple while running?

If you go @100 kmph and take a u-turn, even a honda city will skid, if not topple. Ok, there are cars which can take a u-turn at 100 kmph, but, he can't afford them probably with his budget (shortlist of Wagon-R/Santro).

To topple there should be a lateral force parallel to the ground and perpendicular to the direction of motion. With stock car and tyres, the CG (centre of gravity) will be low enough that normal driving will not create a moment of inertia so strong to unsettle wagon-r. I have been driving one for around 50,000 kms now (8 years) .

Pls advise your friend to pick up "101 on mechanics" and refer to sections on laws of motion, free body diagram, centrifugal forces, moments of inertia, friction etc.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 10th March 2010 at 18:43. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks