Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which budget hatchback would you choose?
Renault Kwid 252 57.67%
Maruti Alto 800 16 3.66%
Hyundai Eon 36 8.24%
Datsun Go 7 1.60%
Tata Nano GenX 42 9.61%
Maruti Alto K10 84 19.22%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 16:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Budget hatchback war: Renault Kwid vs the others

Finally went for a Wagon R VXI. A very practical car for my needs and maruti experience was better than the tata one. The space and features at the price point was fantastic. Parents were happy and so am I.
Old 12th August 2016, 13:07   #62
BHPian

Biwi's Day Out!

Circa May, I posed the key question:

Me: Do you think you need a car? You currently struggle with commuting and are dependant on either me or the random Ober's and Ola's of the world or at the mercy of friends to ferry you around?
The Wife: Tumhe to nayi gaadi ke baare mein sochne ka bahana chahiye!
Me:
The Wife: Mujhe choti gaadi chahiye! Tumhari fancy, mehengi gaadiyan nahin!
Me: Okay.
The Wife: I want to take classes from Maruti Driving School again. I've forgotten all I learnt. Tumse nahin seekhna hai, especially not on "YOUR" car. Dus baatein sunaoge!
The Wife: Ghar pe bhi renovation chal raha hai, aur aapko gaadi ke padi hai.
The Parents: Nahin, she struggles so much. Chota gaadi dilwa do.
The Wife: Second hand Alto best hai. Maruti hai. Fuss free.
Me: Alto 800 does not have jaan. Has to be a K10, preferably an automatic.
The Wife: Mujhe racing thodi karni hai? Tum ye kaho that you need something you can also drive and which is "Fun to drive".
The Wife: *muttering under her breath* Yeh aur iska TeamBHP.
Me: *sheepish grin*
The Wife: See if we get a good second hand car.

The hunt for good pre owned cars started. The prices of the older version of the K10 were insane and the other chota gaadi's had either shady service histories or were abused. Finally, a colleague and good friend at work indicated that he was willing to sell his 2007 petrol Swift VXi. He was willing to give it away at a fairly decent price, so I asked him to give me the car for the weekend.

Circa June:

Me: XXX is selling his red Swift.
The Wife: Alto se Swift pe aa gaye?
Me: It's a good deal.
The Wife: Dekh lo. Jaise aapko theek lage.

Got the car home for the weekend and did a few longish drives over the weekend. Showed it to my FNG and true to my own observations, clutch plate and fly wheel and clutch assembly needed replacement. The garage belongs to a friend and hence is trustworthy.

My friend The Garage Owner: "Bhai le lo gaadi. See if you can knock another 10000/- off. Another 20000/- mein new ho jaayegi. Bhabhi ke liye theek hai"

Showed the car to my folks who also liked it, the wife who also liked it and called my friend and said that we could make a deal. Settled on the price and shook.

Finally asked him about the ownership transfer, to which he said that the car was still in the first owner's name and he wasn't in touch with the first owner. I told him that I wouldn't buy if the transfer didn't go through. He tried, and then didn't come back to me, and I didn't pursue it.

Circa June, around the wife's birthday:

The Wife: Swift ka kya hua?
Me: The deal didn't go through.
The Wife: Okay. Lets drop the plan for now. Waise hi ghar refurbish ho raha hai and there's too much kharcha.

Circa August 10th:

I receive a call from The Wife in the morning at around 09:15 AM.

The Wife: I need a car! Buss!
Me:
Me: Kya hua?
The Wife: Maine car pool kiya Uber se. Pata nahin kya routing hai. Pehle XXX jagah se pick up, fir wahaan pe drop. Dedh ghanta ho gaya and I still haven't reached work. Abhi aur aadha ghanta lagega! Mujhse nahin hota yeh sab! Buss! Car chahiye!
Me: Okay. Manual bhi try karogi ya automatic hi chahiye?
The Wife: Tum dekh lo. Yeh tumhara expertise area hai. I'm okay with anything. Nothing fancy. Bahut mehenga nahin.
Me: First hand lenge?
The Wife: You manage the finances, your call.
Me: Okay. I'll figure it out!

Requirements:

1. Hatchback for point A to B commute.
2. A budget of 5 lakhs at maximum. (Landed cost - all inclusive).
3. Automatic preferred but not mandatory.
4. Petrol only. Running doesnt justify a diesel mill.
5. Only top end models of selected car will be considered. (I typically buy only the top end model. A company fit IS a company fit)

Trawling Team-BHP started and the reviews and ownership reviews scanned through. Options shortlisted:

1. Alto K10 manual / AMT
2. Hyundai Eon 1.0
3. Tata Tiago
4. Renault Kwid (An exception made to the 1.0 l engine rule)
5. Chevrolet Spark
6. Chevrolet Beat

Forum's open and opinions and suggestions are welcome.
TheBigH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 13:36   #63
BHPian

Re: Biwi's Day Out!

My vote goes to Alto K10 AMT. There are threads floating around highlighting the plus point of this car. It's a very comfortable point A to B car. However, if you can increase the budget by another 50-60k, you might get a top loaded Maruti Celerio Zxi Auto, which is a bigger, and probably a better car too.

Off topic, you may want to translate the Hindi text into English under brackets for BHPians who don't understand it. And I think, it's one of the thread-posting mandate as well.
creative420 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 13:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Off topic, you may want to translate the Hindi text into English under brackets for BHPians who don't understand it. And I think, it's one of the thread-posting mandate as well.
Already doing so. Sadly, unable to edit. Will see what I can do about it. Thank you for your suggestions too!
Old 12th August 2016, 14:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigH View Post
If you are open to Tata vehicles, please do ask your wife to try the latest version of the Nano - manual and AMT both. I bet she will be pleasantly surprised!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 12th August 2016, 14:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If you are open to Tata vehicles, please do ask your wife to try the latest version of the Nano - manual and AMT both.
She hates the car and everything about it with a passion which belies words unfortunately. I'd recommended it to her a few times and the stare which could defrost a refrigerator stopped me from pushing it further!
Old 12th August 2016, 14:23   #67
BHPian

Tata Tiago:
1. Spacious of all IMO.
2. New in Market
3. Loaded with features and nice interiors.
4. Better ride quality
2500cc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:37   #68
BHPian

Nano AMT is your choice. Easy to own, easy to drive and easy to maintain.

I know that its hated as much as loved (may be more), but that is where informed decision making comes into picture.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, a colleague and good friend at work indicated that he was willing to sell his 2007 petrol Swift VXi.

Finally asked him about the ownership transfer, to which he said that the car was still in the first owner's name and he wasn't in touch with the first owner.
Most of the cars like that which I see in the market are essentially bought by small time brokers, who will keep the car with them and have a set of blank RTO paperwork with the owner's signature on it.

They won't have converted the vehicle to their name as it'd unnecessarily become a 2nd owner car when it was bought just for a quick resale.

You are quite right to be wary of such cars even when bought from a friend.

At a sub 5 lakh price including registration, repairs etc - you can get a nearly new (2013...14) Honda Brio, which is a fun car to drive. Ditto a Nissan Micra

Automatics are quite rare in the market though for these brands and generally fetch much poorer resale prices because especially with older generation automatics, automatic manual transmission etc, their fuel efficiency isn't terribly good in cities.

If you want get an older i10 / i20 and spend 20..25K in refurbishing it. That may even get you into the sub 4 lakh range, even sub 2.5 lakh if you settle for an older but still mechanically sound i10 (I got a 2nd hand i10 2009 vintage and hardly 64k kilometers on the odo for around 2 lakh, spent around 15..16k on it - it already had new tyres and battery).

You had better see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html and maybe the mods could merge it with that thread?

Last edited by hserus : 12th August 2016 at 14:43.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:43   #70
BHPian

Get the Wagon R AMT. It's the easiest to drive in the city or brio AT or Ritz AT if you can get one pre owned.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:43   #71
BANNED

I'll vote for Alto K10 VXI AMT. We are having it some an year and clicked 12K kms. Peaceful ownership and my wife drives it to college and home. No issues on AMT faced till date.

For a single handed driven ownership, I'll suggest the K10 and AMT combination.

A new one would be around 5.5L IIRC. You can check my ownership thread for all details.

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th August 2016 at 14:44.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Tiago is the perfect choice for her. Other than the points mentioned above (by 2500cc), it being a Tata is also well built - so small knicks in traffic won't cause much damage, nor heartburn. Can't say the same for the others.

It is also the best looking of the car of the lot. Ladies will love it; my wife does Even I find myself ogling a passing Tiago.

Regards - Sam

Last edited by samaspire : 12th August 2016 at 14:47.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:48   #73
BHPian

Tata Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You had better see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html and maybe the mods could merge it with that thread?
Thank you. I have reviewed the thread cover to cover quite a few times. Used cars for me are out at this point. Has to be brand new!

Last edited by SDP : 12th August 2016 at 22:32. Reason: fixed broken quote tag
Old 12th August 2016, 14:55   #74
BHPian

Considering the requirements and worsening traffic conditions everywhere, I would recommend Alto AMT and WagonR AMT. Whatever said and done, AMT is a boon while driving within the city and is a great add-on for a reasonable cost. You and your wife will appreciate the benefit for a long long time.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:

1. Alto K10 manual / AMT
2. Hyundai Eon 1.0
3. Tata Tiago
4. Renault Kwid (An exception made to the 1.0 l engine rule)
5. Chevrolet Spark
6. Chevrolet Beat

The Chevy options are probably not even in the competition. OT - I didn't know that one can still buy the Spark!

If I was keen on an automatic, I would consider the Alto AMT. If not, Tiago wins hands down.

Also, you might want to add Airbags and ABS in your list of criteria. While you did mention that you would only go for the top-end variant and generally the top end variants have these basic safety features, some of the cars have these as optional (like Alto and Eon).

Most Viewed