Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which budget hatchback would you choose?
Renault Kwid 252 57.67%
Maruti Alto 800 16 3.66%
Hyundai Eon 36 8.24%
Datsun Go 7 1.60%
Tata Nano GenX 42 9.61%
Maruti Alto K10 84 19.22%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:14   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Diesel, is it worth it?

Here are some points I can think you can ponder on:

1. I remember you bought an AT for a reason. Any reason why it is no longer needed? Associated point: You've seen the convenience of an automatic, the worth of foregoing that convenience.

2. Not a fan of small diesels. They do tend to have more vibrations to their petrol counterpart. Have experienced it on the 1st gen Figo after being used to a petrol i10.

3. Libran already mentioned this. You have to see what you are getting for your i10, if that is worth losing for the diesel economy you are looking for. Am not sure paying an additional 2-3K on fuel is that much compared to what might be about 2-3L additional you might spend getting a new Tiago XZ.
Old 2nd January 2017, 22:08   #122
BHPian

You have not mentioned the budget. However, considering the fact that you will be moving from AT to MT, it remains to be seen how much you are willing to compromise in terms of ease of driving. I have always loved MT rather than ATs. IMO you can consider buying Ford Figo Diesel as well as this car has got some serious power and it will be fun to drive loaded with safety features.
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:38   #123
Team-BHP Support

Most points have been discussed. If the size of a grand i10 suits your requirement, from a price advantage you can also look at an exchange to a Grand-i10 Diesel itself? See if you can work out a good deal.

I agree Figo/i20 are nicer with bigger diesels, but if city running and FE are the main aspects, why not the grand-i10 diesel itself?
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:03   #124
BHPian

Re: Budget hatchback war: Renault Kwid vs the others

The Ignis AMT diesel !! You get a funky interior, an eye catching exterior, a raised seating position, diesel economy, convenience of an AT and of course a fresh model just being launched.

The only downside am seeing is it could have a massive waiting period, but then you do have a perfectly running vehicle till then. Bookings open, go for it
Old 4th January 2017, 18:59   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hi all, because of increase in monthly running I am planning to sell off my Grand i10 AT and buy a diesel hatchback. The AT is giving a paltry 9kpl and with the increase in running plus the increase in petrol prices, I am simply having to spend close to 9k on petrol bills monthly (no company reimbursement). So thinking of changing the car to a diesel one mainly due to mileage.

My question is will Tiago be a worthy replacement to the Grandi10 in terms of space and other features. I am planning the Revotorq XZ or XT(o) variant. Any other cars in this range that give similar internal space and creature comforts as the Grand i10 but are frugal on the pocket?

My requirements are simple:
1. Best mileage and low monthly running cost
2. Space for 4 adults and 1 kid for the weekend outing
3. EMI that I will pay should not be more than I am doing for the Gi10 currently. (14675)
Tiago is a good choice, especially the Diesel one. Since FE has become your top priority over convenience, I would suggest you to look at Tiago Diesel.

I have been using Diesel Tiago since August 2016, and it's a damn good car. No major problems have surfaced yet.

The only niggle I have discovered so far, Cold Start Jerk. This happens when the engine is cold, even after warming for 1-2 minutes, as soon as you drive off in 1st & 2nd gears, the momentum is not that smooth. But, this vanishes after you have covered some distance.

Test drive the car, make sure you ask for a new car. The older TD cars had Vibration Problems. As an every day commuting car, this is very good choice. The Steering & Clutch are very light, the visibility is good, the seating position is high & the Ride Quality is simply amazing. AC cooling is good. Being a 3 cylinder engine, the vibrations are on higher side (Grand i10 might be better here), but in all other counts the Tiago is a clear winner compared to Grand i10.

You can also look at Ignis Diesel. Being Maruti it will be well priced, and it is equipped with National Engine.

Test drive Tiago & Ignis(Post Launch) and decide.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 11:41   #126
BHPian

Well to begin with tiago is a very competent car and does tick all your requirements and it wouldn't disappoint you. It has got enough pep for A to B commuting and decent amount of comfort and features for the price range and you can definitely go for it. But considering the resale value that the car would fetch and the long term reliability concerns i would personally suggest you to check out the ignis 1.3. Being a maruti and delivered with the tried and tested mjd engine, it wouldn't disappoint in terms of FE, or long term concerns- All this hoping that at least the mid variant of the ignis diesel would be priced well within your budget. However in the end only you can decide whats best for you. Have a proper TD of the cars and you will surely know which one will make its way to your stable.
Old 11th January 2017, 20:04   #127
BHPian

There was color availability on stock issue, cancelled i10. Also got decent price for my old car during this time. Did not have much options for small compact car with good city drivability and service network. Choose Celerio diesel instead of petrol for the following reasons,

+ Drivability inside city and traffic is good.
+ Getting ZDI for the price of petrol ZXI
+ Can be used for daily office runs replacing my Karizma
+ Parking in narrow streets is easy.

- Really miss the acceleration and fun part of petrol, this being a small diesel.
- Do not have a nice feeling of new car, after driving Fiat(where i did love the feel when i got it and most often).

Don't see anyone with Diesel variant here, maybe the first and last one
Old 19th February 2017, 06:57   #128
BHPian

I have a Tata Safari and driving it in congested roads of Lucknow is now a problem. So thinking of buying a hatchback only for city driving. The budget is 4 - 4.5L On Road. I was thinking of Hyundai I10 but came to know that it's production has been stopped since Novemever. So please share your thoughts regarding which hatchback I should go for.

Regards
Old 20th February 2017, 00:11   #129
BHPian

I also planned to get an i10, but one of the reasons for not considering again was since the production was stopped. If you are ok with Maruthi, go for Celerio. Even in LXI Auto gear shift, you get the full meter console unlike manual variant. I would say its better built than Kwid(Just my personal opinion) with good brakes.
sreerama is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 05:58   #130
BHPian

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely consider it. How is Eon compared to Celerio? I think it has a better build quality compared to Maruti.
Old 21st February 2017, 00:37   #131
BHPian

Eon's interior feels good and the plastics has upmarket feel. I did hear some noise on the back side when going on bad roads or patches. It did come from all 3 TD vehicles which i took over bad patches including the 1 litre kappa variant. So that's how the build quality is for this small cars. Comparatively i would say it was the best in the segment and also easy to maneuver in dense traffic with feather light clutch(for 800cc variants). For this price range, K10 from Maruthi had good frontal visibility, being 6 ft was easy for me to see the front end which most of the small cars dont offer you, you will also get a fun filled ride inside city with the power to weigh ratio.

Coming to Celerio it does not come close to i10 on the build quality but did not find the noise or rattles which i found in eon in bad road stretches. Its spacious inside with higher seating position. Price wise when you compare era+ and lxi variant, there is 44K difference on the otr. But Hyundai is giving huge discount for eon for a long time along with dealer side discount by min 50K. From Maruthi you can get 20K for current year model.

Eon era+ -50K = 3.77
Celerio Lx -20K = 4.50
Difference ~ .75K

Mileage wise Maruthi tops the efficiency chart, will be low on running and on maintenance.

TD the vehicles and choose the one which suits best for you. If you decide to go for EON, Hyundai offers airbag optional on all variants with additional 10K only, please go for it.

Crash test which you can watch again if seen already, check the structural integrity
Celerio -
Celerio with Airbag -
Eon 1 -
Eon 2 -
Kwid (worst) -
Kwid (0 score with driver air bag, might be the improved version) -

(Variants are just for indicative/reference purpose and price details taken from below websites )
https://www.carwale.com/new/quotatio...E3n1X3mJzr4cw6
http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...=list&Itemid=9

Last edited by sreerama : 21st February 2017 at 00:59. Reason: adding feature about eon's 800cc clutch
sreerama is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 05:47   #132
BHPian

Thanks you so much. Latest development is that I am more keen on Celerio now than Eon. The sole reason being fuel efficiency of Maruti is always better and the K series engine. Its a gem of a engine for city driving. So more or less its Celerio for me.
Old 25th February 2017, 21:17   #133
BANNED

We are planning to replace out 10 year old Maruti 800 with either an Alto K10 (note : not Alto 800) or a Datsun Redigo.

We think that the kwid is hideous(owners please dont feel offended), and the Eon and the Nano are just not in consideration due to someone or the other veto-ing them. (I vetoed the Eon and mom the Nano)

Already have an European hatch for the highway runs, and we are in no mood to extend our budget beyond 3.80 on-road.

The car will be occupied by 3 adults at max, usually 2, though.
We like the high sitting position and the ease of ingress-egress in the Redi-go, but then the Alto has a better, umm, err, well, for the want of a better word, 'reputation'.
HyperRetard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 14:23   #134
BHPian

Carlos Ghosn credits Nano for Kwid success, Tata Nano inspired the Kwid, says Carlos Ghosn

Excerpts

"About the Kwid, Carlos Ghosn, chairman and CEO, Renault-Nissan said, “We acted on the Nano. I may be the only one to say, Ratan Tata was visionary in launching the Nano and we followed and I am glad we did because the success of Renault today in India is mainly because of the success of the Kwid.” However, this is a bit ironic because the Nano failed to reach similar levels of success"

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...sn-404392.aspx
Old 5th November 2018, 23:05   #135

Is Tata Tiago the best fit?

Hello all,
My first post here. I am a lurker and a member for a few years but never posted. Now I need a little help.
My parents have a maruti 800 which has served them very well, but now it is giving some mechanical problems due to which they want to replace it.

I have 2 questions;

1. The maruti 800 is a 2001 DX 5 speed model with 86,000 kms. They have an offer of 60,000 Rs if exchanged. Is that a good offer?

2. They want a small car for their city rides. Their budget on-road is 6 lakhs. The main requirements are, low maintenance, comfortable ride/drive, good mileage, safety and reliability. Given all these, is Tata Tiago the best option for them? If yes, which model should they go for? If not, which would be a better option?

I have read a little bit of AMT issues in tiago, is that a concern?
I apologize if I am not posting in the correct sub-forum.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks