Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which budget hatchback would you choose?
Renault Kwid 252 57.67%
Maruti Alto 800 16 3.66%
Hyundai Eon 36 8.24%
Datsun Go 7 1.60%
Tata Nano GenX 42 9.61%
Maruti Alto K10 84 19.22%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2016, 10:43   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Budget hatchback war: Renault Kwid vs the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsyntax View Post
I'm looking for a second car to go along with the Elite i20, will be used only for ~1.5 years only in the city with a budget of ~3L OTR.
Top priority is it needs to be cheap to run and maintain. Not looking at an AMT since I still prefer manuals to the AMTs.
My main dilemma is if I should go with a new GenX Nano or if I should go in for a pre-owned Alto 800 or K10.

I know the K10 is the better car but I'm pretty sure I won't find one in a good condition within my budget since I'm only looking at buying pre-owned through Maruti True Value mainly for the one year warranty and general peace of mind.
Is the Nano a good choice and is it a safer bet to go for a new Nano or a pre-owned Alto, taking into account everything like fuel efficiency and resale value?
K10 would be hands down the peppier and easier to drive option in the city, although the 800 itself won't be so bad either. On a different note, you have not mentioned if this car you plan to buy will be for solo use or will there be multiple occupants. If it is the latter, a nano might become sluggish with the extra load all the time (works better for solo or max 2 occupants in my opinion).

Maruti Truvalue is a nice option to consider, as you mentioned. In terms of resale value a preowned Maruti should hold better position than a new nano, not only due to the brand perception in the used market but also because a new vehicle will incur a heavier depreciation hit than a preowned car going from 2nd to 3rd owner.

My vote would be the truvalue preowned Maruti option for you - since it is going to be used as an urban warrior, you won't be overly concerned with the tiny dings and shunts in traffic (as you would with a brand new car) Good luck with your choice
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 10:48   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
K10 would be hands down the peppier and easier to drive option in the city, although the 800 itself won't be so bad either. On a different note, you have not mentioned if this car you plan to buy will be for solo use or will there be multiple occupants. If it is the latter, a nano might become sluggish with the extra load all the time (works better for solo or max 2 occupants in my opinion).

Maruti Truvalue is a nice option to consider, as you mentioned. In terms of resale value a preowned Maruti should hold better position than a new nano, not only due to the brand perception in the used market but also because a new vehicle will incur a heavier depreciation hit than a preowned car going from 2nd to 3rd owner.

My vote would be the truvalue preowned Maruti option for you - since it is going to be used as an urban warrior, you won't be overly concerned with the tiny dings and shunts in traffic (as you would with a brand new car) Good luck with your choice

Thanks for your input! I did end up getting a decent deal for a well maintained 2014 Alto K10 after scouring all the True Value outlets in the city. Can't wait to get my hands on it in a few days.
longsyntax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 11:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post

Here's how they stand IMO -

Ride and Handling - Kwid>Go>Eon 1.0>Alto 800=Alto K10>Eon
I think K10 is slightly better than EON here, though only slightly. Both are horrendous in terms of steering input.
Would like to add:
After Sales and service - Alto 800=Alto K10>Eon 1.0=Eon>Kwid>Go

I voted for Nano.
Old 7th April 2016, 13:34   #34
BHPian

It's time we add tata tiago in this list/poll. It's absolutely budget friendly and probably one of the most value for money car.
Old 5th May 2016, 23:08   #35
BHPian

Car for parents under 4lac

I have been driving a Chevy beat TCDI for the last 3.5 years and enjoying it. Now feel the need for a second car for my parents. This is a question a lot of people have n their minds and given the present scenario of the indian market there are too many to choose from.

As for me the car must be a petrol and of low maintenance, as running will be very low. Both parents over 60 so the customary back aches and hence the car should be comfy and of decent height.
As for budget, short on Vit M so can't shell out more than 4l on-road. Also I hope to keep this car for long and should have a decent resale value and should be hassle free to maintain. So far i have a few choices in my mind:

1. Alto K10 (best fit except rear seat comfort)
2. Wagon R (a bit over budget and getting old but otherwise perfect)
3. Tiago (TATA employee )
4. eon (dont know wh i don't like the car)
5. kwid (service issues at hometown)

NB: should be FTD as i will be driving it from time to time.

So put forth your suggestions while i go about showroom hopping.

Mod note: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th May 2016 at 10:56.
Old 6th May 2016, 09:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car for parents under 4lac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post

As for me the car must be a petrol and of low maintenance, as running will be very low. Both parents over 60 so the customary back aches and hence the car should be comfy and of decent height.
As for budget, short on Vit M so can't shell out more than 4l on-road. Also I hope to keep this car for long and should have a decent resale value and should be hassle free to maintain. So far i have a few choices in my mind:

1. Alto K10 (best fit except rear seat comfort)
2. Wagon R (a bit over budget and getting old but otherwise perfect)
3. Tiago (TATA employee )
4. eon (dont know wh i don't like the car)
5. kwid (service issues at hometown)

NB: should be FTD as i will be driving it from time to time

So put forth your suggestions while i go about showroom hopping.
Alto K10 - Excluded for poor interior space.
Wagon R - Roomy Car, you can walk in to car,your parents will appreciate this. Easy maintenance.
Tiago - Not sure, still think Wagon R is the best bet
Eon - Too Small
kwid - Should be decent, but has only 800 cc motor.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 09:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R is my suggestion too. If they are going to drive, get the Alto Automatic around the price range. Its best for parents who dont mind a sedate driving car that takes them from point A to point B and no fiddling with gears etc.

Wagon R simply for space, resale and overall comfort and yet small in size. Do not stop looking at used market as well. You can probably even pick a Swift Petrol for sub 4 Lak and its more than enough car for 4
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 09:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
As you yourselves have mentioned, car should be comfy, and have good height, Wagon R is the perfect car for your requirements. It might be stretching your budget, but would definitely be worth it in the long run. The other similar option is Celerio. You can choose either based on what you find more desirable.

Kwid's performance is similar to Alto 800, leave aside Alto K10. And as you have mentioned service issue, this just puts it aside.

Do check out if you can get a great deal on a Maruti Suzuki Ritz too. One of my colleagues was able to get his hand on one for 4.15 lakhs on road in Delhi which is pretty stellar. Has better space and the 1.2 l engine is significantly better.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

It should be a Tiago. No brainer. You are a Tata employee to boot.

Wagon R is good but it is too dated now.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

If it is for your parents and ease of maintenance is of utmost importance, then WagonR since it is easy for old people to get in and out of, they love the tall boy interiors and it is the easiest thing to maintain. If not, then simply buy the Tiago. It is so much ahead of the rest in terms of what it offers for the price, that it cannot be overlooked.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:09   #41
BHPian

I"d suggst the Tiago. It is better built when compared to the others. If you are going for a Wagon R, it would be a good step to check out the options available at a True Value dealership. You might find a top end VXI with airbags at a reasonable price.
Looking at the road conditions in almost all our cities, I think safety features are very important, especially if the car is for your parents.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Wagon R is good but it is too dated now.
It has been too dated since more than decade now but sells not because of its looks but sheer practicality and reliability. Unbelievable but the Boxy design has takers for other reasons but looks and features alone.

The ease of ingress/egress in a Tallboy is something our parents/grandparents would love. If the need of the day is a car that offers better seating position for old, picking the WagonR is no brainer. The Blue eyed boy after getting the K10 is bigger and roomier too.

My other sensible, solid, safer choice would be the Ritz but then, we are talking about a car under 4 Lac. The LXi WagonR might just be above 4 Lacs on road.

Its a plain jane car with nothing fancy to offer but does its job to satisfy needs like these very easily.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

parag, I am not going to argue with you over Wagon R.
235,000 klicks on wagon R. You deserve respect and you are in your own class.

My main problem with Wagon R is that they replaced the earlier 4-cyl (which I think you own) with a 3-cyl and this really compromises on highways. needless cost cutting where none was required. Also the earlier sheet metal was better now it is replaced with tinnier crap and I doubt if the newer Wagon R's have the same structural rigidity as earlier ones.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:31   #44
BHPian

WagonR seems to be the obvious choice here. Space management is the forte of WagonR, add to that the tallboy design, and your parents will definitely be a happy lot. WagonR is a tried and tested workhorse, which will last the test of time. It has cheap maintenance, good resale value but loses out on dynamics. It is only on highways that you'll really hate the car, otherwise it is perfect for pottering around town. You will have to skip FTD for now I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Also the earlier sheet metal was better now it is replaced with tinnier crap and I doubt if the newer Wagon R's have the same structural rigidity as earlier ones.
I agree with you on this one. The part quality (dashboard, doorpads, interior bits, etc.) was much better in older generation of Maruti cars. The newer models come with better looking/feeling but worse quality (read = Less Durable) plastic. But since the older Waggies can not be had now, the current gen WagonR seems to be a better choice.
biggrin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:41   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

At a 4L OTR budget, you can get the base variants of the Alto K10, Eon and Tiago which may be too bare bones. You can get close to the top variant of the Kwid and the top variant of the Nano. I think even the base variant of the Wagon R will be over budget.

Rather than getting a base variant new car without any comfort or safety features, why not look for a good used car from a segment above? The likes of Swift, Brio, Grand i10 to name a few. I am sure there will be a lot of choices around 4L.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks