Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 18:10   #16
BHPian

Hi Raajiv,

Fiat Palio 1.6 is the most powerful hatchback. But it does depend on what kind of roads you will be driving. Congested roads you wont be able to unleash it. You need long wide roads with no stupid speedbreakers to enjoy this babe. Fuel efficiency you will have to bear for performance.

Fiat's services and spares are now managed by Tata Motors so its better than before.

If you are looking for a good looking fully loaded car that you can enjoy Swift may be better and for space Getz is the best of the three.

What I personally can suggest is if you are using this car as a fun car and dont care for running costs but wanna enjoy the drive go for palio 1.6.

I will suggest Swift over 1.2 as performance is almost same but swift looks better and is better value for your money.

But if you are looking for loads of space and can compromise on torque or looks getz is the one.

Happy driving!
Old 13th September 2006, 18:55   #17
BHPian

And if you want an Hatch disguised as a mini SUV... go for the new Ford Fusion.. The car will give you all the pleasures you ever needed for any form of driving.
Old 14th September 2006, 00:25   #18
BHPian

Lets look at the topic of the this thread again. "Looking for a hatch with good driving pleasure". Right,so why are we even comparing the Swift and Getz to the Palio 1.6?
Few quick question Rajiv-Do you a want a good performance hatch?
If yes,Swift is your car.
Or do you want something that accelerates quicker than some cars double its price,something that out handles some cars double its price,something that rides better than some cars double its price?
I am not done yet. .What is your idea of an engine note that makes you feel like you are piloting a sports car?What if that sound makes you turn down the volume on your music system?Would you like an engine that is shipped directly from Italy so that you can enjoy an engine that is truly Italian by nature?
If your answer to some of the above questions is yes- Palio 1.6 is your car.
After all of the above,its still a very practical family car that can comfortably accomodate five,gives decent fuel efficiency and is now being treated in a better way by its parent.
Palio 1.2 is great to drive in its own right and has better ride than the 1.6 but it is no ways a performance hatch,in cities or highway.
So would you like me to rephrase your question-- "Looking for the best performance hatch"

PS-Netarchie,Fusion is definitely a worthy contender

Last edited by roms : 14th September 2006 at 00:28.
Old 14th September 2006, 09:48   #19
BHPian

Thanks roms..What i meant by Driving Pleasure is Smooth Drive with enough power and punch.Not that ultra speed .It must have enough power to pull five at ease with a steady speed of 110 Km/h on a high way.I am not worried about good mileage figures as i am going to use it mostly on good roads with less traffic.

Overall i am very convinced about the Palio but now with the TATA - Fiat Merger i am looking for improvements on the Serivce aspect of the car.
Guys one more question can any one tell me the on-road price of Palio 1.2 NV and 1.6 in Chennai?
Old 14th September 2006, 10:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

P for performance, P for Palio. If you get a swift, good VFM, mod it, and make it fun to drive..
Old 14th September 2006, 10:44   #21
BHPian

Go for Palio, either 1.6 or 1.2 whichever suits you.

I have never faced any major problem with my car so far since the last 4 years. Also I have never faced any problem with the *** in the past. Recently I serviced the car ouside the *** and got things done very decently.

The only concern is the resale value.
Old 14th September 2006, 11:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

This is no brainer. Answer = Palio 1.6.

I drive a 1.2 Palio ELX. Everytime I see a 1.6 Palio I regret that I tried to save some money then and went in for the 1.2. Would have been prolly just another 1.5K per month EMI (SOB! SOB!).

Even Swift owners (2 of them, both ZX) who have driven my 1.2 Palio say they envy the way the car rides and handles vis-a-vis their Swifts. They bought a Swift only because it is a maruti (service assured!) and because it is a newer car.

With the TATA JV, service has improved a LOT. I've given my car for service to the TATA joint (Koyenco) twice, and I've had NO problems. In fact, I got 2 freebee washes and tuneup/long distance drive checks done free there!!! I'm looking forward to trying out RF Motors, another Tata dealer nearer to my place, as they seem to give even better service. Get this, now I can even choose where I want to get my service done! (Earlier, I had only one choice - TVS. Ugh!)

And the Palio 1.6 has character. It is a cult icon. A kind of entry into an exclusive brotherhood. This is something that few cars in India can boast of. The Swift is just another (good) car from Maruti.

The only negative (for the Palio 1.6) I can see in a Swift vs. Palio 1.6 is that the resale value of the Swift will be highter than the Palio 1.6. But personally (especially considering feelings about my 1.2 purchase vs. the 1.6 purchase that I should have made), you shouldn't consider this thaaat much. When you make your decision, you should think of what you will be enjoying & feeling for each km you drive, and the pride of ownership that you will have of owning a Palio1.6 (a way better car IMHO). Or, like me, each time you see a Palio 1.6 on the road, you will feel bad.

Now, Swift owners, before you flame me to death, I'm not dissing your car at all. I'm simply stating my personal opinions. The Swift is a good car. But the overall package (car+ownership feeling+driving pleasure) is nowhere as good as a Palio 1.6.
Old 14th September 2006, 13:36   #23
BHPian

Wait A Bit

hi
i will advice u to wait a bit. chevrolet aveo uva is being launched in nov. and if u travel a lot u my wait another 6 months for fiat punto. i also plan to buy a new car but have decided to opt for a second hand esteem. i will wait till february when we have a reasonable review of uva. as for swift getz and palio, all will get outdated next year when chey,honda jazz, matiz(spark), new zen, fiat punto will be launched. also expected is skoda fabia with reasonable price tag. now u decide.
Old 14th September 2006, 14:05   #24
BHPian

Most of the people, including me, appreciate Palio 1.6 as a great drivers' car around.
Still, I somehow can't appreciate the hyperlative comments floating around. Please don't mislead people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalrana
Fiat Palio 1.6 is the most powerful hatchback.
SRV and Fusion also has 100 Bhp. If you also include notchbacks, Octavia
RS is the most powerful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalrana
I will suggest Swift over 1.2 as performance is almost same but swift looks better and is better value for your money.
Would somebody bring exact figures? I though Swift's 0-100 figure is comparable with Palio 1.6. Comparing Palio 1.2 and Swift is a bit too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc
I too own a palio 1.6 and it gives me the mileage of min 15.5 KMPL on a speed of 100-120KMPH always.
Well well. FIAT would be happy to hear that. You are the first Palio 1.6 ower to have min mileage of 15.5 Kpl
Old 14th September 2006, 14:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Most of the people, including me, appreciate Palio 1.6 as a great drivers' car around.
Still, I somehow can't appreciate the hyperlative comments floating around. Please don't mislead people.

SRV and Fusion also has 100 Bhp. If you also include notchbacks, Octavia
RS is the most powerful?

Well well. FIAT would be happy to hear that. You are the first Palio 1.6 ower to have min mileage of 15.5 Kpl
The SRV may have 100 BHP on paper but drive it after driving a Palio 1.6 and u will feel that you are driving with the handbrake on. This is no exaggeration. When I drove the SRV, I felt as if at least 25 of those 100 horses have gone to take a snack break at the local grassland!

As regards the Octy, well dude, that is not a hatchback but a Notchback! So tha tis a different category altogether!

There are plenty of Palio owners reporting that kind of mileage for h/w for the 1.6. If you check on the Palio Users Group on Yahoo, you will find one owner who has consistently got 18 from his 1.6 and has given a detailed account of how to get such figures. We have met him in one of our bangalore meets and driven his car which is a bog standard 1.6.

My 1.2 ELX regularly gives me 12.5 to 13 in Bangalore and 17+ on the two highway runs I took her on.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 14th September 2006 at 14:40.
Old 14th September 2006, 14:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
....If you check on the Palio Users Group on Yahoo, you will find one owner who has consistently got 18 from his 1.6 and has given a detailed account of how to get such figures....
Could you give us the link?
Old 14th September 2006, 15:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
Could you give us the link?

Here you go

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/28835

Also, have a look at all the other posts in the link- these are actual user reported figures on a Palio website- so no one gets any brownie points for exaggerating since the palio is not being compared to any other car in this group!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 14th September 2006 at 15:13.
Old 14th September 2006, 15:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The SRV may have 100 BHP on paper but drive it after driving a Palio 1.6 and u will feel that you are driving with the handbrake on. When I drove the SRV, I felt as if at least 25 of those 100 horses have gone to take a snack break at the local grassland!.
I haven't driven SRV. But I would agree with you. What I meant is shouting "I'm the best" is not a good idea, when you can't support it with facts and figures.

Quote:
As regards the Octy, well dude, that is not a hatchback but a Notchback! So tha tis a different category altogether!
Please read my post. I have mentioned it.

Quote:
There are plenty of Palio owners reporting that kind of mileage for h/w for the 1.6. If you check on the Palio Users Group on Yahoo, you will find one owner who has consistently got 18 from his 1.6 and has given a detailed account of how to get such figures. We have met him in one of our bangalore meets and driven his car which is a bog standard 1.6.!
If you read sep ACI, they were able to get 20+ Kpl average from Ford Fiesta. The question is what we can get on road under normal driving conditions. Also note 15.5 KpL is not the "average", it is the "Min mileage"!! You have mentioned you get 12.5 -13 from you 1.2L Palio. How is changing to Palio 1.6 for better mileage!!

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 14th September 2006 at 15:21.
Old 14th September 2006, 16:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I haven't driven SRV. But I would agree with you. What I meant is shouting "I'm the best" is not a good idea, when you can't support it with facts and figures.

Please read my post. I have mentioned it.

If you read sep ACI, they were able to get 20+ Kpl average from Ford Fiesta. The question is what we can get on road under normal driving conditions. Also note 15.5 KpL is not the "average", it is the "Min mileage"!! You have mentioned you get 12.5 -13 from you 1.2L Palio. How is changing to Palio 1.6 for better mileage!!
Got it in Email from PalioUserGroup...
[FONT=Tms Rmn]"In the Sept issue of BS Motoring, they have done a 4.5km GP on Mumbai
roads amongst the three cars Pali0 1.6, Swift, Chevvy SRV . Exhilarating read. No guesses for who won -- a 4 year old GTX!!!! Yipee!! Did the lapin 6:40. Their only complaint (since its launch) just improve the breaks."
Now if a four year old GTX can do it... the new one will be miles ahead.
Those are 100 geniune throughbred Italian Horses, no lame stuff!
Yes the highway mileage for 1.6 GTX hovers around 15-16 kmpl driven sanely (100-120 kph). A santro or a wagon-r will deliver pretty much the same fuel average coz their smaller engine at those speeds will screaming whereas palio 1.6 would be ambling along comfortably clicking 2500-3000 rpm on the revs.
If ever there was a hatchback for the enthusiast, untamed, awesome fun with stiff suspension for that great handling and razor sharp steering the 1.6 it is. Just drive a palio once, have a feel of how quick and sharp the steering is. the sense of occasion, where everything falls into your hands without you making an effort for it and compare it to a wagonr or a santro and tell if you aint dissapointed.
[/FONT]
Old 14th September 2006, 16:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Dear WhiteKnight! If you see title of the thread, it clearly asks for a Hatch with good driving pleasure? The answer is : Fiat Palio!
If you need performance along with pleasure, it is Palio 1.6
Else if you are happy with reasonable power & good mileage it gotta be: Palio 1.2. And this we are saying from our own experience.

Last edited by finneyp : 14th September 2006 at 16:14.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed