Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2006, 15:40   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny
Why not you take a look at Santro xing? Its another best car in segment. Its low cost to maintain and well refined than a Wagon R.
Well-refined. Interiors yes, but the engine no. I don't think the Santro's engine matches up to the Wagon R's - drive both and select the one you like. Or is the Indica still on your mind?
Old 19th September 2006, 22:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanakbar
Hello everyone. I have been researching for my first car for the past 6 months now, and I feel I have done enough of it and want to proceed with the buying part. My initial list had 6 cars, which was finalized to finally 2 - Wagon R VXi and Indica TD DLX.

However, I am still confused between the two. Following are the points that I am considering for shortlisting my car -
1) I will travel around 1600 kms a month, including one outstation trip of approx 350 kms.
2) For me, fuel efficieny is important as I had started earning only last year and dont want to spend a large part of my salary on fuel. I have other financial priorities also.
3) I'm 6'1'', and single. Hence, except for 1 month in which my parents will visit Delhi, I will be driving Solo.
4) Since I might start visiting places around Delhi with a few friends, I need a car safe enough for the highway in terms of stability and sturdiness.
5) I will probably change the car after 4 years.

Now many people will argue that I might not need a diesel for 1600 kms a month, but like I said, i dont want to spend much on fuel. The price difference in ex-showroom prices of the models mentioned is Rs. 35,000 which can easily be recovered in 18 months as per my running in case of Indica TD.

I had also considered Palio 1.2 ELX, Swift Vxi, Getz GLS also, but they all lost because of the fuel efficiency point. Many people say that my needs are more fulfilled by Indica TD, but unforunately things that still create doubts are Taxi image in Delhi and Long time reliability. On the other hand, the fear of having an unfortunate event(God forbid) in a Wagon R on the highway scares me and stops me from going ahead with it. Hence the confusion.

I would be really appreciative if you guys can help me out. Thanks.
Notwithstanding the insurance deregulation, the Indica seems to be the better fit for your needs.
Old 20th September 2006, 02:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

I think your heart is rooting for the Wagin-R but the mind says Indica. I would say in such cases many a times the mind is more accurate my friend.

First and foremost, Wagon-R is a nice car. more so in the city. All that about it being unstable and most unsuited for highway may also be a lot of misinterpretation. However, it is a petrol car. And that stuff does cost some moolah.

Talking about Indica, about reliability and such issues, I can tell you this much... lot of people will say lot many things but the matter of the fact is most of them are hearsay. I own an Indica for sometime now. I can tell you this much, barring some extraordinary scenario (which may occur with any car) Indica is extremely reliable if not anything else. Pamper it right (which in this case translates to regular periodic servicing, oil and filter change) and Indica is one brute of a workhorse. Afterall so many taxis are Indicabs not for nothing. One thing those guys won't have is a breakdown prone car. For them every hour lost is money gone down the drain.

Similarly about the diesel clatter, well, a diesel car will always have that early morning during cold starts and all... but drive it for a km or so (after 1 minute initial idling) and you won't be able to tell much difference after that. Again my personal experience.

Its rugged, stable, inexpensive to run and maintain and of course incredibly roomy... gives you that big-car feel.

So Abhijit_2284, please do not mind my saying this, but you are are talking through your hat mate.

Last edited by Zappo : 20th September 2006 at 02:06.
Old 25th September 2006, 16:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo

So Abhijit_2284, please do not mind my saying this, but you are are talking through your hat mate.

everbody has a right to a opinion and as I dont like the Indica , you may like it.
I dont have any reason to be pissed at you.

But I would still buy the Wagon -R any time
Old 26th September 2006, 14:43   #20

Thank you everyone for the response. I was in one of the Tata-Fiat dealers to check out the Indica TD, and out of curousity enquired about Fiat Palio ELX 1.2. I was quite suprised with the offer. It is coming for Rs. 370,000 ON ROAD, and if I opt for finance payout, Rs. 357,000!!!

This has set my brains racking again, as I love the palio as a car. Does the NV really give an average of 12-13 in city? If yes, then I am again in a dilema. I was wondering if I go for the palio, it will cost way lesser than the indica TD DLX initially, so the fuel cost advantage in Indica will not be that great, as I will be paying almost 70,000 more initially for the Indica TD DLX over the palio ELX. What say guys?
Old 26th September 2006, 16:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Indica or Palio.....is there any comparison ? one is a W-I-P & the other is a proven commodity. palio is miles ahead of the Indica. the only reason why it is going cheap is because of the service support or the lack of it. For the initial 4 years, you should not have any problems. take the palio.
Old 26th September 2006, 16:22   #22
BHPian

I would suggest Wagon R VXI. It comes with ABS and Airbags. Also the engine is peppy n look wise better than the old Wagon R.
Old 26th September 2006, 16:30   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Indica or Palio.....is there any comparison ? one is a W-I-P & the other is a proven commodity. palio is miles ahead of the Indica. the only reason why it is going cheap is because of the service support or the lack of it. For the initial 4 years, you should not have any problems. take the palio.
But I suppose since the Palio can now be serviced at Tata service stations, service support will be almost at par with the indica and should not be the reason for such huge discounts. And in case Fiat is offering such discounts because it has plans to launch its updated model, it is taking one hell of a time to do that. The discounts have been there for over a month now and still no sight or concrete news of the updated palio model.
Old 26th September 2006, 16:47   #24

@esteem_lover - I suppose that since Palio can be serviced at Tata service stations, the huge discounts should not be because of the service support issue. In case these discounts are because of the updated model on the way, then Fiat is taking one hell of a time to launch it. The discounts have already been around for more than a month now and no sight or confirmed reports of the updated model.

@dsinz - The model with the Airbags and ABS costs almost 30,000 more than the normal VXi model. Vxi does not come standard with these. So in effect, that model will be a good 60,000 more than the current palio price.
Old 23rd October 2006, 20:03   #25

Palio 1.2 ELX booked

Hi Everyone. I have finally booked my car today. Its neither the Wagon R or the Indica TC as discussed on this thread initially. I have booked a Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX in moon mist grey colour. I have got a Rs. 77,000 discount here in Delhi. It is costing me Rs. 3,51,000 on road!! Thats quite a steal i guess.

But I have booked it from a Fiat dealer in South Delhi called Antil Auto, as none of the Tata-Fiat dealers had the moon mist colour, only silver or some of them white also. I just now need to get the financing done and the car will be mine by this weekend. It has been because of team-bhp and its wonderful forums that I have been able to finalize my decision. Thanks everyone.
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Many Congrats Khanakbar on your great choice of Palio 1.2!
Am sure you will love driving this Italian beauty!

You are welcome to join us at Palio Users Group: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/paliousersindia/
Old 23rd October 2006, 23:39   #27
BHPian

How can you compare the Junkinidca with a car.

I have presently three cars with me the Junkindica Kl7-AA-790; the Palio GTX Kl7-AN-5634 ; and the Santro Xing Kl7-BD-2185. Unfortunately I do not have the Wagor R which you wanted to compare it to. My earnest advice is to forgo buying the Indica because by no means can you call this vehicle a car; its rather a souped up bullock cart albeit an unreliable one at that. Its more worth your while if you had a bullock cart in your garage because it is bound to give you better service. I had a 3rd hand Padmini till two months ago I can say for sure the Padmini was a better designed vehicle when compared to the Junkindica. When comparing the Palio GTX (on which I have spent extra only on the wiper blades and none else for three and a half years) its like comparing BlackForest Pastry to horse dung(need I say that horsedung is the Junkindica and I mentioned horse dung instead of cowdung because even cowdung can be put to some good use and hence I did not want to insult cowdung) there is just no comparison. I bought the Xing and am happy with it though for the highway its wanting for the lack of oomph from the engine and for the highway its better to have Italian or german genes in your car. I hope you have got the drift by now. One and only advice to you is; please do not be fooled into buying the Junkindica like I was. I agree I too was an idiotic fool to have bought the Junkindica with my hard earned white money. Please do not add your name to the list of fools who have bought the Junkindica me included. Bye and wear your seatbelts and buy any other car other than the Junkindica.
Old 23rd October 2006, 23:46   #28
BHPian

Its good better sense prevailed.

I missed out on reading the last few posts because I was so eager in saving another soul from the JunkIndica debacle that I skipped reading the post where you mentioned buying the Palio. Buying any other car other that the Junkindica is a good decision. Bye and wear your seatbelts.
Old 24th October 2006, 22:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Santro Xing - should be the best option for you. Take a test drive with them before you choose.
Old 24th October 2006, 23:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Each car has its pluses and minuses.Let us refrain from bad mouthing any particular car.Negatives can be put in a betterway.

Ps:This is a forum of car lovers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks