Toyota Liva 6 0.68%
Maruti Swift 27 3.07%
Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2016, 17:46   #151
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Please help me decide on the best diesel hatchback for a 7 Lac Ex showroom budget

Hi Everyone,

Need some urgent help.

We want to buy a diesel hatchback for our city runs. Basically, this car will be used daily mostly within city (delhi NCR). I am too scared to drive around locally in the passat,
so need a car for daily use. I am keeping the budget low to reduce the overall liability on myself.
This will help me explore the city more, go to places I dont visit much, and feel less worried parking my car anywhere.
We have set the budget to 7 lacs (Ex showroom).Also, we are looking to buy a
white or a silver car. Also, we will retain the car for 5 years.

Things we look for in the car:

1. Fun to drive
2. Should age well
3. Good build
4. Frugal
5. Easy to maintain
6. Decently spacious
7. Decently loaded

Shortlist:

1. Ford Figo 1.5D Titanium

+++:

1. Very good, efficent and fast diesel
2. Decently loaded
3. Improving ford service
4. Good size vs space compromise
5. Looks amazing with 15" Momos
6. 70K discount on 2015 model (Advisable?)

---:

1. Resale (is it a concern after 5 years of ownership)
2. Ford service ( we do own a Fiesta and the maintainace has been sligttly higher than expected)
3. Looks like a small segment car (lacks premium persona)
4. Poor seller (2015 cars available)

2. Maruti Baleno 1.3 DDiS (Delta)

+++:

1. Very good, efficent diesel
2. Decently loaded
3. Maruti maintainance
4. Good space
5. Strong resale

---:

1. Flimsy sheet metal (easily dinged)
2. The mid variants dont look as good as the Alpha
3. Not a very young looking car

Any other options i should consider?

i20 and Jazz are above the budget and Grandi10 etc dont come across as good options in this budget. I might be wrong though.

I also wanted an automatic hatch, but no diesel options available. My running is close to 1000 Kms a month.

Please advise. TIA

MODS: Please move the post to an appropriate thread if deemed unfit here.
Old 28th June 2016, 18:03   #152
BHPian

Ford figo is a nice power packed hatch back, It is high ravving diesel engine. But few issues are service, after sales support and resale.

Also boot is too small for hatch when it is compared with Baleno or Jazz.

Other plus is safety for figo comes with minimum 2 airbags

Last edited by sameerpb : 28th June 2016 at 18:04.
sameerpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 19:03   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Please help me decide on the best diesel hatchback for a 7 Lac Ex showroom

Need some urgent help.
The i20 IMO is the best diesel hatch, if you can extend your budget a bit. The Magna variant might just fit your budget, though I recommend going for the Sportz as it comes with ABS.

In case you cannot extend your budget, the Baleno and Figo are good choices. It basically depends on your priorities. The Figo has a cracker of an engine and is way more fun to drive than the Baleno. However, the Baleno is half a segment higher, and is a more complete package overall, not to mention a bit more premium in terms of quality and equipment. The Figo is essentially a Grand i10 rival, whereas the Baleno competes with the i20.

Fun to drive, great performance, average interiors = Figo.
Average performance, more space and features = Baleno

Last edited by Aaron:) : 28th June 2016 at 19:06.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 20:27   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please help me decide on the best diesel hatchback for a 7 Lac Ex showroom budget
You can go for Baleno Petrol Alpha. The difference in price is 1.4 lakhs between petrol and diesel.
You do the math depending on your average running.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 20:46   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We have set the budget to 7 lacs (Ex showroom).Also, we are looking to buy a
white or a silver car. Also, we will retain the car for 5 years.
Hey Crazy_Bean all due respect to your foresight of the resale value of a car after 5years, but rest assured no car can beat a Maruti badge. Irrespective of what you buy, you are bound to loose a lot of money when you sell the call as it is a depreciating asset, which I am sure you are aware.

Coming to Maruti, PERSONALLY I hate every car from this stable, except Swift, which I don't hate as much. Till date, Maruti designers could not come up with one good looking car ever since the first-gen Zen, Swift & Esteem.

Presuming that your first preference was 'Fun to Drive', first-gen Swift DDiS had this and Maruti should have retained this engine character when they updated the Swift. Baleno DDiS is at the best 'Efficient' and 'Good to Drive', but not even close to having the Fun factor.

I own a 1.6 GT TDI and if you have had a chance to drive this car, you will know that it packs some serious punch.
The only other cars that I found to have just as much or a bit better grunt sort of feeling on offer was the S-Cross DDiS 320 and the Figo 1.5 TDCi

Long Story Short, go for the All New Figo 1.5 TDCI and you will be happier driving this around the town than moving around in your Passat.

P.S - IIRC Figo TDCi is a lot cheaper than Swift/Baleno DDiS when compared variant to variant.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 28th June 2016 at 20:49.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 11:38   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
Ford figo is a nice power packed hatch back
Thanks. For me the only thing going for the car is the engine. It will be a dream to swoosh around GGN roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
The i20 IMO is the best diesel hatch, if you can extend your budget a bit. The Magna variant might just fit your budget, though I recommend going for the Sportz as it comes with ABS.

Fun to drive, great performance, average interiors = Figo.
Average performance, more space and features = Baleno
Thanks. I can extend my budget BUT that would mentally increase the liability in my head. I want a good car, at the same time not care about it too much.

I dont like the baleno, as it feels very light and swayie, felt that during my test drive experience.

You are spot on with the Figo and they are the only reasons I am going for it. I like the Figo interior in Titanium + trim (with Sync), but I am focussing on Titanium as it is more VFM in my opinion. I would have gone for Trend, but lack of ABS put me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
You can go for Baleno Petrol Alpha. The difference in price is 1.4 lakhs between petrol and diesel.
You do the math depending on your average running.
It has to be a diesel. I understand that Baleno alpha is a much more premium car, but I just dont like how non turbo petrol cars drive in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Crazy_Bean
Long Story Short, go for the All New Figo 1.5 TDCI and you will be happier driving this around the town than moving around in your Passat.
Yes, My thoughts echo with your answer. I have driven all the cars you mentioned and shortlisted the Figo based on a similar opinion.

I saw an aspire on the road today (recent fords are quite rare to spot here in Gurgaon), it looked a bit dull and cheap. This put me off a bit.

I am going by Karan's experience of a white Figo with Momo wheels. That should give it the right bling, attitude and appeal.

How much do you think I can get for the new stock alloys and wheels?

Thank you everyone so much for the inputs.

I have a followup question:

There are a few 2015 (December) Figos lying around with the dealer and carry a hefty discount (70K, maybe I can squeeze more). Is it worth it or should I go for a fresh car with 25K discount?
Crazy_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 12:31   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive a Baleno (petrol) quite regularly and I must say, there are much better alternatives in the market. My grouse has been

- Very poor build quality (interior as well as exterior)
- very low uncomfortable seating posture
- bumpy ride at the rear
- being over-priced

What I like:
+ Lots of features
+ Revv happy engine (petrol)
+ FE
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 13:38   #158
BHPian

My 2 cents:

Live in present and don't think about resale value donkey years down the line. Instead motive should be - good drive-ability, safety for oneself & passengers, and within one's budget.

@ Crazy Bean please don't think of it as gyan but preference should go to safety & build hence between your choices my vote is Ford Figo.
Old 29th June 2016, 14:51   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

- Very poor build quality (interior as well as exterior)
Thanks for that information, but could you elaborate a bit more? Are there any rattles? How is the plastic quality?
I was under the impression that the Baleno, being one of the 'new gen' Marutis would do better in this regard.
Old 29th June 2016, 15:28   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Thanks for that information, but could you elaborate a bit more? Are there any rattles? How is the plastic quality?
I was under the impression that the Baleno, being one of the 'new gen' Marutis would do better in this regard.
The plastic quality is bad and there are some noises from the dash if we encounter some sharp bumps at speed. While there aren't any issues with the plastic finish, the quality feels flimsy.

The car was barely 700kms old when one day, the door sill plastic guard came off after my shoe barely brushed against it. After some hit and trail, we were able to push it back into place. On another occasion, my friend slowly backed into the tyre of a parked bike. The rear bumper was deformed with a huge trough. I put my hand behind the bumper and pushed it from inside. Voila! it was back to normal. I'm not sure if I should be happy about this. Had it been my WagonR, I couldn't have repaired the bumper myself. But I wouldn't have had any damage in a similar case. My car has been banged 3 times at much higher speeds and there wasn't any damage except for some surface scratch once.

I find the same issue with the sheet metal. They don't inspire confidence. I have already discussed about the 'dancing projectors' problem and found out it was a common problem. Find the details below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4005875

PS: The said car belongs to my close friend. It is nearing 3k kms, out of which 1.2-1.5k kms have been driven by me. I hate the plastics in my '11 WagonR but have to say that they feel slightly better build than the Baleno.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 16:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
there are some noises from the dash if we encounter some sharp bumps at speed. While there aren't any issues with the plastic finish, the quality feels flimsy.
What kind of noise? is it a creaking kind of noise which comes when you tilt a reclining office chair?

Plastic quality is good, i don't think its filmsy.
Old 29th June 2016, 17:26   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
What kind of noise? is it a creaking kind of noise which comes when you tilt a reclining office chair?

Plastic quality is good, i don't think its filmsy.
It's a sharp thud type noise, not a muted one. I found this in the TD car too which was 300 kms old back when I TD'ed it. The plastics don't seem like they will last very long and the car will have rattles very soon, a typical Maruti trait. The quality seems inferior in places which are mostly out of sight, like the seat adjustment levers, the door trims, glove box, etc.
Old 29th June 2016, 17:58   #163
BHPian

I recently sat in VW Polo Petrol of office colleague and was greatly impressed to hear no creaking sounds or clattering like in Maruti cars. This car had run 33k Kms, was 3 years old and had gone on long distances in and around Delhi.

Compare this to Baleno bought by close friend of mine, approx 7 Kms on the odo and already it has become a rattle box. Same is the situation in my Swift with 32k on the odo, sometimes I feel body will fall off leaving me with only engine.

One can argue driving style and terrain but in Delhi roads are good and most of the trips done have been to hill stations with above average to good roads.

Last edited by heydj : 29th June 2016 at 17:59.
heydj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 01:15   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I recently sat in VW Polo Petrol of office colleague and was greatly impressed to hear no creaking sounds or clattering like in Maruti cars.
VW/Skoda have impeccable build quality and the cars just do not rattle that easily. I have completed 55k kms in my Vento and there is not a single rattle in the entire car, my car has seen poor hilly roads very often. Compared to this our Ecosport had 3-4 rattles in 20k kms it covered and even the Fiesta has a squeak or two.

This is one thing i really appreciate about the germans, i hate it when i get to hear any squeak/rattle and it annoys me so much, the Vento is as silent inside as it was on the day of delivery.
coolboy007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 12:48   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

This is one thing i really appreciate about the germans, i hate it when i get to hear any squeak/rattle and it annoys me so much, the Vento is as silent inside as it was on the day of delivery.
Agreed I myself hate rattles too and any squeak drives me nuts, among many reasons this was one when I bought Rapid.

Its really a wonder that Germans make such high quality cars but when it comes to quality of service it rates so poorly. On the other hand Maruti makes such poor quality & zero safety cars but renowned for service in India. These two companies need to learn from each other.

For the purpose of this thread only worthwhile premium Hatchbacks worth considering in my opinion are Polo, Figo, and Punto. Rest all don't match up on safety & build quality.

Most Viewed