Maruti Swift 27 3.07%
Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 17:59   #181
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

@Swarag:

My vote goes for Punto 1.4 or Polo 1.2 as they are the most stable cars on the highway, though the Punto 1.4 would be more enjoyable on the highways and the polo more in the city. My response point wise:

a. Petrol ( since I won't go more than 15 k a year):
Also, both of them have 15k kms interval between services.

b. Stable at 100 + speeds since I like to really rev it on good , wide highways.
Here Punto 1.4 is more adequate as it plonks a free revving, brilliant sounding motor.

c. ABS, dual airbags (minimum) since I travel often with wifey and 2 kids
Polo has the airbags as standard, while the ABS is standard from mid variant. Punto 1.4 is only available on the top end so you get all the bells and whistles.

d. Reasonable boot space to carry out stuff ( 300 plus at b least)
Both have 280 ltrs of boot space which is quite sufficient

e. Good drive quality
Both vehicles are great to drive and have a matured suspension that has a great balance between ride and handling.

f. Rear seat leg room and comfort necessary since do frequently go on 300+ kms drives.
For 2 kids on the back seat, both are spacious, though Punto has more rear space.

g. budget is 7 ish with willingness to stretch to 8 ish
Around 7 you would get Polo mid variant(Comfortline). Punto should be around 8 lacs after discounts.

h. Reasonably good resale value i. Low maintenance car.... i20? Baleno? Swift? Any other choices?
Both have dismal resale, more so because they are petrol variants.
Punto's manitenance is at par while the Polo would be more expensive to maintain.

If not then following options are also there:

1) Baleno: In petrol avatar its quite fun to drive, would have a great resale, >300 ltrs of boot space and should be low on maintenance as well. On the highway Punto and Polo would fare better though.

2) Jazz: Good petrol engine which loves to redline and feels at home on the highway. Similar attributes as that of baleno, but again not as surefooted as the Europeans on the highway. Also, they get punny tires even in the top end.

3) i20: In petrol avatar quite boring to drive. Apart from that, it should tick all your check boxes. Also, its boot space is in line with Punto and Polo.

4) Bolt: A very under rated car IMO. Has got a turbocharged engine thats quite fun to drive, at least in the sports mode and has got all the bells and whistles, except the small boot space (210 ltrs).

5) New Figo: Apart from the engine which lacks punch, it should also tick all your check boxes except the boot space, that stands at 257 ltrs.

Last edited by Waspune : 11th July 2016 at 18:01. Reason: Forgot to attach the name of the person to whom the message was aimed at
Old 11th July 2016, 19:36   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Five people in the car is definitely a squeeze (5 medium built adults). We were 5 of us and 3 people struggled for shoulder room in the rear seat.
5 is a squeeze? in a Baleno ?

Which car are you comparing with respect to shoulder room?
Or let me ask you in this way - Which car do you feel is not a squeeze for 5 adults?
What's your definition of medium size adults?

If you check specs, Baleno is the WIDEST hatch in India.

I am back from a 230 kms road trip on not so good roads.
I wouldn't say ride is plush, but its surely not very stiff.

Last edited by silverado : 11th July 2016 at 19:38.
Old 11th July 2016, 20:42   #183
Senior - BHPian

On paper the Figo and the Baleno definitely seem like the best cars out there. However, saw a Baleno and i20 parked next to each other in my apartment, and couldn't help but notice how the Hyundai makes itself feel so 'premium' in the face of the competition. The diamond cut alloys, the taut body lines, the much better put together interiors make it a hard to ignore package for me.
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 22:29   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
However, saw a Baleno and i20 parked next to each other in my apartment, and couldn't help but notice how the Hyundai makes itself feel so 'premium'
Absolutely agree with you. i20 wins hands down in premium look and feel.
Baleno looks grow upon you as time passes, I feel its the ray blue colour which is a standout in baleno.

Few bits on Baleno vs i20, from view point of being a Baleno owner.

Advantage i20 :

Better looking than Baleno, I love its alloys.
Interiors feel rich all round.
Has the rough road variant with high GC.

Advantage Baleno :

Door armrest section is flat and not upward sloping like i20
Better legroom and more Bootspace
Better fuel efficiency
Cheaper than i20 when compared variant to variant.
Basic Safety kit on all variants.
Old 12th July 2016, 10:12   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
5 is a squeeze? in a Baleno ?

Which car are you comparing with respect to shoulder room?
Or let me ask you in this way - Which car do you feel is not a squeeze for 5 adults?
What's your definition of medium size adults?

If you check specs, Baleno is the WIDEST hatch in India.

I am back from a 230 kms road trip on not so good roads.
I wouldn't say ride is plush, but its surely not very stiff.
Well, I just shared my observations about the car. I have traveled about 2500+ kms (out of the total 3.1k kms) and have driven close to 1.5k kms on that particular car. I believe I have fair experience of the car.

About my definition of a medium sized adult, I'm 6ft tall, weigh 85 kg and I'm not obese. The rest 4 had similar dimensions.

Regarding my opinion of Baleno being a squeeze for 5 people, I just want to say that all five passengers might not be comfortable, especially on a long run. This was a 500 km, 12 drive and roads were pretty bad in stretches. Baleno might be the WIDEST hatch available in India (it definitely looks so) but I don't know how much of the width is usable inside.

I must say the leg room was a big boon but shoulder room was lacking. I should also be complaining about the non-existent head-room in the rear seat for a person like me but then I agree that not everyone is a 6-ft'er and hence, no complains.

And yes, I would still say the suspension is on the stiffer side, having traveled considerable distance both within the city and outside it.

PS: I have driven or traveled in i20, Swift, old Figo, Jazz, Ritz, Vista, Bolt and Etios which I believe are/were available in a similar price bracket. I drive a '11 WagonR which is a much smaller car.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 14:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

About my definition of a medium sized adult, I'm 6ft tall, weigh 85 kg and I'm not obese. The rest 4 had similar dimensions.

Regarding my opinion of Baleno being a squeeze for 5 people, I just want to say that all five passengers might not be comfortable

I don't know how much of the width is usable inside.

I have driven or traveled in i20, Swift, old Figo, Jazz, Ritz, Vista, Bolt and Etios
I assume with a 6ft frame, all adults seated were of healthy build ( but not obese ).

With the dimensions stated above, 5 adults should have similar or even lesser shoulder width in all the cars listed by you. It will always be a squeeze.
hence I wanted to know which car do you feel would not be a squeeze?

Baleno's interior width is fairly usable in comparision with all the cars listed above. I have travelled a fair bit in Vista/Zest and believe interior width in Baleno is on par.
Old 12th July 2016, 16:20   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I assume with a 6ft frame, all adults seated were of healthy build ( but not obese ).

With the dimensions stated above, 5 adults should have similar or even lesser shoulder width in all the cars listed by you. It will always be a squeeze.
hence I wanted to know which car do you feel would not be a squeeze?

Baleno's interior width is fairly usable in comparision with all the cars listed above. I have travelled a fair bit in Vista/Zest and believe interior width in Baleno is on par.
You are still not getting my point sir. I always found 4 passengers to be comfortable in a hatch (typical B-segment ones). The 5th one was invariably unwelcome. I believed Baleno could be the answer to my concern but it didn't meet my expectations. I still have hopes from the Jazz and the i20. I have them in my close circle and will try them at full load.

Coming to my observation, I just said there isn't enough shoulder room for 3 adults in the rear seat, especially when traveling long distances (or lets just say that even Baleno doesn't provide enough space for 3 adults in the rear seat given that it is so wide). I'm not comparing it to any other car with respect to shoulder room because I have rarely traveled 5 in a car and never over long distances. Even if I did, I should be taking the same companions (as this trip) to make it a fair comparison.

Regarding the legroom, headroom and, the ride-quality, I have compared it with the above mentioned cars.

Last edited by ashis89 : 12th July 2016 at 16:24. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 10:23   #188
BHPian

How I wish these polls were categorised into diesel and petrol!
My vote was for liva solely for its reliability and hence peace of mind.
Old 24th July 2016, 11:03   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
How I wish these polls were categorised into diesel and petrol!
Actually, if you really want to look more closely, you'd also need to break these cars up into variants. For instance the top end version of a car may be good value but some of the lower variants may not be vis-a-vis the competition.

End of the day, take the poll results as a general indicator of the cars but you may come to a different conclusion when considering different trim levels and engines.
Old 24th July 2016, 12:09   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Actually, if you really want to look more closely, you'd also need to break these cars up into variants.
That will be more important when we look up for the best value for money variant. Variants are basically categorized on the features that they have while retaining the same dynamics and engine.

Now, let us take it this way. TeamBHP is not merely for discussion but also for helping a prospective buyer. Having two categories for diesel and petrol would surely be of help. Just my opinion.
Old 25th July 2016, 00:57   #191
BHPian

I did ask this in the i20 forum but this seems more updated so I ask again here. Why has Liva been missing so prominently here? Is it just the 'dated' looks? I look at the Power/BHP ratio, NCAP rating, cabin space and after-sales experience, and can't help but wonder why.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:01   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrocious View Post
I did ask this in the i20 forum but this seems more updated so I ask again here. Why has Liva been missing so prominently here? Is it just the 'dated' looks? I look at the Power/BHP ratio, NCAP rating, cabin space and after-sales experience, and can't help but wonder why.
Liva is a jack of all trades but master of none.

Safety ratings,mileage and space are the only reason going for it.

Reasons for going against liva-
1) Unorthodox dashboard.
2) Not feature rich as competitors.
3) Expensive and not VFM.
4) Taxi image and not so impressive looks.
5) Ride quality does not match with competitors.
Old 26th July 2016, 20:10   #193
BHPian

If it has two of the most important asks of a car, safety and space, going for it, I would probably not call it master of none. If you don't want to dabble with the Polo, whose after sales nightmares are widely quoted, I see only Liva emerging with any respectable score in the India-spec NCAP. That does make it a master; I think.

Now, about the dashboard, much has been written of its placement, but personally, overlooking everything in the package just for that seems a bit harsh to me.

What is missing from the feature tray?

After reading a few long-term ownership reports here, I would say it comes out to be the one with the most quotable total cost of ownership. Add to that the ease of buying with Toyota Finance's 100% funding and the service experience of a majority of owners.

Look at it below and tell me if you have ever been in a Liva taxi, this car next to you on a signal will remind you of it. I believe its non-descript looks, unlike an Indica or a Swift, come to serve as a boon here because you can forget about it as soon as it is out of your field of vision.

Again, I read the ownership threads as latest as 30000-40000K and I don't see anyone with any major concerns about ride quality.

To be honest, I am looking for a car and I want to accumulate all the reasons someone would not buy a Liva, so that I can pick how many of those reasons actually matter to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks-img_20160723_133140.jpg  

Last edited by atrocious : 26th July 2016 at 20:33.
atrocious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 21:15   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrocious View Post
To be honest, I am looking for a car and I want to accumulate all the reasons someone would not buy a Liva, so that I can pick how many of those reasons actually matter to me.
I have been in Liva and etios cabs for umpteen times. Contrary to team-bhp review, i felt the highway ride quality is not up to the mark compared to swift and dzire, leave aside figo, polo and punto. Predominantly, the ride in the rear seats tends to get bouncy on highways even when fully loaded. But, they were taxi's and may be ill maintained one's. This is strictly my opinion and in no way it can be generalized.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:21   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Got back after a 500 kms drive in the Baleno. I had done the same trip 2 months back in the same car. Some key observations from the trip:
Hi, as many people has reported considerable rear end sagging with the Baleno on full load, would like to know your experience about the same. Since you mentioned your drive included pretty bad roads with 5 people on board, did you felt such a rear end sagging and if yes to what extent. Did it (read rear end sagging) pose any issues with tackling the rough patches or any under body scrapping? Is it as bad as a low GC sedan? Also, you have already mentioned about the stiff suspension, how bad is it for the rear passengers when we speak about their comfort level over smooth and bad roads. Please do let us know your views about this as well. Thanks.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th July 2016 at 12:38.

Most Viewed