Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 16:43   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMind View Post
Hi, as many people has reported considerable rear end sagging with the Baleno on full load, would like to know your experience about the same. Since you mentioned your drive included pretty bad roads with 5 people on board, did you felt such a rear end sagging and if yes to what extent. Did it (read rear end sagging) pose any issues with tackling the rough patches or any under body scrapping? Is it as bad as a low GC sedan? Also, you have already mentioned about the stiff suspension, how bad is it for the rear passengers when we speak about their comfort level over smooth and bad roads. Please do let us know your views about this as well. Thanks.
[/b]
The Baleno is low slung under normal circumstances (unloaded). But we faced no extra problem under full load as compared to an unloaded car. I say this because a couple of months earlier, I did same route in the same car with just 2 of us in the car. In general, the GC is very good in Baleno and we have scraped only once till date. The car was loaded with 4 people and my friend went over a huge speed breaker at some speed. Since then, I take the car slowly over the same point and it has never disappointed again.

Regarding the stiff suspension, the rear passengers feel the maximum impact of any bump. In case of bad roads, these are sharp jerks and not very pleasant. On smooth roads, there are no complaints at all unless the road has waves/undulations or concrete joints. Again, in such a case, the car doesn't absorb these and passes them on to the passenger cabin . Point to note here, rear head room is low. So for a tall passenger like me, I keep hitting the roof on such road waves.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 17:44   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Regarding the stiff suspension, the rear passengers feel the maximum impact of any bump. In case of bad roads, these are sharp jerks and not very pleasant. On smooth roads, there are no complaints at all unless the road has waves/undulations or concrete joints. Again, in such a case, the car doesn't absorb these and passes them on to the passenger cabin .
Could you please share how is the ride quality of Baleno in comparison to swift. That should help most of us for better understanding.
Old 27th July 2016, 17:57   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Could you please share how is the ride quality of Baleno in comparison to swift. That should help most of us for better understanding.
I have driven the gen II Swift but for a short distance. From my experience, Swift was more comfortable and absorbed the bumps softly.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 22:22   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Lookin at the votes, Baleno and Elite 20 top the list with same number of votes as of now. Both are good cars. Baleno is more VFM and Elite I20 is slightly more premium.

According to me,

For Diesel : Elite I20

For Petrol : Baleno
Old 29th July 2016, 23:08   #200
BHPian

Quote:
I have been in Liva and etios cabs for umpteen times. Contrary to team-bhp review, i felt the highway ride quality is not up to the mark compared to swift and dzire, leave aside figo, polo and punto. Predominantly, the ride in the rear seats tends to get bouncy on highways even when fully loaded. But, they were taxi's and may be ill maintained one's. This is strictly my opinion and in no way it can be generalized.
I understand the many objective and subjective flaws the car may have, but it is its sheer absence from many posts and discussions that intrigues me. I also understand the dash design and the looks can be a put-off to many, but many other cars with many more important ebbs and flows are generating much more verbal traction.

It is becoming a curious case.
Old 24th August 2016, 00:21   #201
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleagues is planning to purchase a new car(premium hatchback). Today, I had the opportunity to accompany him for test drives. We had driven the Punto Evo Powertech and Baleno Diesel.

My experience with both is as follows-

Punto Evo .
  1. NVH was minimal and refinement was top notch. Apart from the driver(if not for the mild turbo lag), no one can realize the presence of a diesel engine.
  2. Strongly built and its heavy weight is evident all around.
  3. Throttle response is linear from 1500-1600rpm onwards. Below which the turbo lag is clearly felt. It surprisingly could climb inclines without much fuss(may be due to the additional 20Nm torque for 90hp version).
  4. Gearbox felt several generations behind the japanese and korean cars. Light clutch is a saviour.
  5. Sound quality of the speakers was just above average.
  6. To my surprise, I really was unable to find a comfortable driving position(for 5'10") even after trials of seat/steering height adjustment. I could not realize where the fault was. But, IMHO the ergonomics are not really the best as mentioned in many reviews.
  7. The prime reason for considering the Punto was ride quality. Surprisingly, the ride was very bumpy, horrendous at city speeds(<60kmph),and comparable to alto .But, all the thuds were deafened. I could not get an opportunity to take it beyond 60kmph during my test drive.
  8. The demo car was just a month old and IMHO it deserves another test drive, the suspect for poor ride being over inflated tyres.
  9. OTR Hyderabad for Punto Evo Powertech Emotion ~8.9 Lakhs (including discounts).
Baleno
  1. To be honest, I was really pampered by Nexa. The SA thoroughly checked the car prior to the test drive and said that it was part of the procedure to prepare the car for the test drive.
  2. One would easily find a comfortable driving position. And space is available in plenty.
  3. The Automatic climate control system was excellent and a distinguishing feature(in mid-variants) for Baleno from its rivals. The fan speed for the side vents could also be adjusted.The baleno is feature packed and future perfect.
  4. NVH was contrasting to what I experienced in the Punto. The diesel clatter and other external noises were clearly audible.
  5. But, the sound quality of the ICE makes up for point 4.
  6. Noticeble turbo lag below 1800-1900 rpm.
  7. Gearbox was smooth.
  8. The ride was smooth below 70kmph and was in contrast to the experience on the punto. But, it was wavy at speeds beyond 70kmph. This may not be the car for our state highways, the rear passengers will not be comfortable unless the car is laden with sufficient weight. This has been a typical Maruti trait, noticeably felt in the Alto & Ertiga.
  9. OTR Hyderabad ~8.6Lakhs for Delta variant.
My colleague is already impressed by the Baleno, whereas to me the punto seemed more VFM despite having a slightly weird driving position and very poor resale.

Please feel free to share your perspective.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 24th August 2016 at 00:47. Reason: Grammar corrections
Old 24th August 2016, 01:12   #202
BHPian

Punto does have screwed ergonomics. Regarding the ride quality, I would suggest you to take another test drive as the ride quality of Punto is miles ahead of the competition. In fact, if you really want to test Punto's ride quality take her through rough/bad roads at higher speeds, then maybe you will understand the difference.
If your friend's usage is limited to city drives, there are better options out there.
PS: I drive Punto Evo 90 HP sports.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 01:18   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of my colleagues is planning to purchase a new car(premium hatchback). Today, I had the opportunity to accompany him for test drives. We had driven the Punto Evo Powertech and Baleno Diesel.

My experience with both is as follows-

Punto Evo .[list=1][*]NVH was minimal and refinement was top notch. Apart from the driver(if not for the mild turbo lag), no one can realize the presence of a diesel engine.[*]Strongly built and its heavy weight is evident all around.[*]Throttle response is linear from 1500-1600rpm onwards. Below which the turbo lag is clearly felt. It surprisingly could climb inclines without much fuss(may be due to the additional 20Nm torque for 90hp version).[*]Gearbox felt several generations behind the japanese and korean cars. Light clutch is a saviour.[*]Sound quality of the speakers was just above average.[*]To my surprise, I really was unable to find a comfortable driving position(for 5'10") even after trials of seat/steering height adjustment. I could not realize where the fault was. But, IMHO the ergonomics are not really the best as mentioned in many reviews.[*]The prime reason for considering the Punto was ride quality. Surprisingly, the ride was very bumpy, horrendous at city speeds(<60kmph),and comparable to alto .But, all the thuds were deafened. I could not get an opportunity to take it beyond 60kmph during my test drive.[*]The demo car was just a month old and IMHO it deserves another test drive, the suspect for poor ride being over inflated tyres
Are you sure the Punto Nvh was low? I've had the exact opposite experience with a very loud turbo roar in the Punto as compared to the Maruti stable. Perhaps they've improved in the Evo, but can you please confirm that?

Also surprising observation on the ride quality. The Punto excels in that area, so the tyres were probably overinflated as you suspect. Please take another TD to check both these points. Thanks.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 07:59   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
In fact, if you really want to test Punto's ride quality take her through rough/bad roads at higher speeds, then maybe you will understand the difference.
My bad, as I did not realize that I had to thrash the car on bad patches to know its capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
If your friend's usage is limited to city drives, there are better options out there.
Figo and the ageing swift are the other options being considered. I20 is chucked out due to the absence of ABS on lower variants. IMO it's time for Hyundai to make ABS as standard for all variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Are you sure the Punto Nvh was low?
Yes. I am doubly sure because I turned off the audio during the TD.
The demo car was just about a month(1500kms) old, don't know if the NVH levels increase considerably upon aging. But for city drives, the NVH was lesser compared to a very well maintained old i20, which was a benchmark once upon a time.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 24th August 2016 at 08:04.
Old 28th August 2016, 21:37   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My bad, as I did not realize that I had to thrash the car on bad patches to know its capabilities.
Its not so much as thrashing the pedal to see its smoothness, far from it. Just do not slow down when you see a bad patch in a Punto, even if its 30-40 kmph.. just drive as if you never saw the patch coming and then its ability is revealed - it'll ride right over it transferring minimal jerk or noise. I'm speaking from personal experience, and because I'd heard so much from people about its suspension abilities I gave it a real test > 6-7 feet long rough patches, potholes & sweeping curves, it took it all without a jitter at approx 40 kmph and I instantly knew that it had proven itself. The car you drove probably had a spiked air pressure or just bad tyres. Nothing comes close to a Punto in terms of ride, if I'm very greedy the only thing I'd ask is for a tighter steering, the Punto's one was a bit light even for a hydraulic setup.

Well my recommendation is obvious.. one is a stand-out winner in all areas - safety, feel, steering, suspension, value, technology etc. Just one weakness kills it everytime, its not been refreshed for about 2 generations now and due to that people avoid and these two factors both go in an infinite loop with no end in sight.

STILL I'd say Punto, that's how good it is, despite its skewed seating position and less than average support. Luckily I kind of adjusted pretty quickly to the odd-shaped ergonomics in the test-drive, dunno if it'd have posed a problem if the trips are long or during ownership.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 12:00   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I'm very greedy the only thing I'd ask is for a tighter steering, the Punto's one was a bit light even for a hydraulic setup.
+1. The steering felt very light compared to the old Figo/Fiesta. Many prefer it that way for city commutes.

News is that my colleague booked a Baleno Zeta petrol, and now his long wait starts. The car would be bought on a car lease and is mostly likely to get sold after 3-4 years. Hence he opted for a Maruti. A stellar resale would be his return on investment.
Old 4th October 2016, 23:49   #207
BHPian

Hatchback vs Compact Sedan: Suggestions

Hello Everyone. I'm in the market for a new petrol car. This is going to be my secondary car and will be used for about 800-1000kms a month(60-70% city driving). Currently, I have a S-Cross 1.6 and SX4 Petrol(Which the new car will replace). I have considered the following options:-
Maruti Baleno
Since I have always used Maruti cars, this was my first choice. Really like the car and the K-Seried engine is a tried and test unit, so no doubts about its performance and reliability. The reasons that are putting me against this car are the long waiting times, light build quality and many users are complaining about the stiff suspension. Also, since I've used maruti suzuki cars, I would like to try some other brand

Hyundai i20
Looks great, has a lot of features but the petrol engine is mediocre. It performs well in cities but not that Great on the highways. It's on my list but I'm not really inclined for it.

Honda Jazz
Really liked the car. It's spacious, has good level of equipment and is a very pratical car. But the engine is lethargic below 2,500 rpm and considering that I'd be driving in the city 60% of the time, this is something to think about.

Honda Amaze
I never really considered this car in the first place but had a look at it when I was checking out the Jazz. I'm really impressed with the 2016 facelifted version. Although it has the same engine as the Jazz, according to the Team-BHP review, it is more drive able in the city and doesn't feel lethargic. Considering that the Jazz and Amaze are similarly priced, this car is on the top of my list

I am also checking out the upcoming Maruti Ignis but don't know if it's worth the wait or not. It's a segment lower than the above said cars.
Hence, it would be great if you guys can let me know if buying the Amaze is a good option? How's the car in terms of performance and reliability? Also, would the Amaze fetch a good resale value in the future?
I have been really confused between the above said cars and have finally zeroed down on the Amaze. It would be great to have some valuable input from you all.
Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 04:58   #208
BHPian

Re: Hatchback vs Compact Sedan: Suggestions

Hi Nimit3105,

Since you have already shortlisted four Cars - I will not give you any more options however will share my thoughts on two cars which I drive often (traffic+highway), my close friend is driving Amaze for past 2yrs and I own Elite i20 (both are petrol 1.2).
Amaze has a shorter turning radius 4.5m compared to 5.2m of Elite i20 which makes it easier for city roads.
Both have similar power however Amaze has a 140kmph speed capping (99% times you won’t even notice), acceleration is better in Amaze.
Amaze has 100-litres more Cargo space and super light clutch (better for carrying luggage or traffic condition)
Elite i20 build feels strong compared to Amaze which has a tin-can type feeling (it’s also 100Kgs heavier) - just try knocking the door of Amaze then compare it to Elite i20.
Seating Comfort is way better in Elite i20 (my wife’s opinion), beige interiors of Amaze makes it difficult to keep the interiors clean (mats/door panels etc.)
Personally I would prefer Elite i20 cabin (dashboard compare below) Styling (Interiors and Exteriors)

As you have already zeroed down on the Amaze, go ahead - Nothing else matters as long as you are happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks-amaze.jpg  

Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks-i20....jpg  

Last edited by IPathan : 5th October 2016 at 05:00. Reason: comma spacing change
IPathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 06:45   #209
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Hello I have considered the following options:-
Maruti Baleno

Hyundai i20

Honda Jazz

Honda Amaze
My Two Bits..(or 4 bits). Full of bias no doubt, but this is honestly my opinion.

1. Baleno - In my opinion it looks lovely and is very spacious and comfy. However, while I love its looks and most things else about it, I found it underpowered when comparing it with the Swift.

2. I20 Elite - We have an I20 (2014) which my Dad uses. Nice in the City. Horrible on the highway because it is hopelessly underpowered and one just cannot overtake with confidence. The new I20 Elite is a bit heavier than the old I20. Yes, it has a lovely Euro design element to it. But it is very sadly let down by that silly 1.2 litre motor.

3. Honda Jazz - Lovely car indeed. Clever. Elegant. Quirky. Spacious. Brilliant design. Good engine and good power. Honda's reliability and driving ease and pleasure are huge pluses. The car reeks of quality in my book and I just love these slightly quirky largish hatchback cars.

4. Amaze - Sorry but though it is a Honda, it is a tacky thing and looks rather horrid. I agree that there is a slightly "tinny" feel to it. After all it is Spawned from the Brio which is pretty much an entry level small hatch. I really don't like any of these Cut Short Sedans or Hatchbacks with the silly boot tacked on the back. These cars are mostly designed for India and Indians because of the obsession with the "sedan" even if said sedan looks like something out of a child's attempt at design. Sorry, but this is never going to cut it for me.

Personally I value a good hatchback car much more than one of these oddball CutShort wannabe sedan-ish things. They are neither here nor there and look sad to boot.(no pun intended.)
All things considered, if I were you, of the 4 short-listed choices above, I would plonk the hard earned doubloons on the Honda Jazz for sure.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th October 2016 at 06:48.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 08:25   #210
Senior - BHPian

When the running is going to be low at 700-800km, why not look for a Hatchback? The SCross can be used for highway duties.

Especially in a city with horrible traffic, I'd suggest you get an AT hatchback that is easy to maneuver, easy to drive and easy to park. Please look at the Polo TSi, Jazz AT and Baleno AT. Even Brio AT might be an option.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 5th October 2016 at 08:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks