Toyota Liva 6 0.68%
Maruti Swift 27 3.07%
Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 15:52   #31

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Voted for i20.
It would have been a "Perfect Hatch" if it wasn't for that lethargic petrol engine Otherwise I would say it's an excellent car in all departments.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:57   #32
BHPian

Why Punto is not there in list? Anyway when it comes to diesel, my pick would be Figo 1.5 TDCi, voted for the same. For me current gen Figo is like more powerful and safer version of Swift. And when it comes to diesel my pick would be baleno for peppy 1.2 L, though Hyundai I20 is more desirable but 1.2 is quite lethargic.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:58   #33
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2015 at 11:05.
ashpalio is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th December 2015, 16:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
especially now that the Abarth has been released, and there is no lack of power in the line up.
From what I understand, the poll is about cars that sit in the price bracket of the Baleno. The Abarth and VW GT Twins are a lot more expensive.

Forget the Abarth, the standard Punto Evo, Suzuki Swift will demolish all the cars in the handling department.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 16th December 2015 at 16:14.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 16:13   #35

I voted for Figo. Should give it to Ford for building a car that beats other cars in the segment in safety(Titanium+ variant - 6 airbags) and performance(1.5 Diesel and 1.5 Petrol AT) departments.
Old 16th December 2015, 16:26   #36
BHPian

Its Punto for me!

When you own a car it is to drive it. and when you are on highway there is no way you can beat punto especially in the abarth avatar!

I don't understand how people can hard on the gadgetry that comes in the car instead of the ride and handling. How will a touch screen will help you driving on some demanding roads ?
ant_vas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 16:37   #37
BHPian

Voted for Others(read here as Fiat Punto). Surprising to see it missing from the list. Its always been a real fun to drive car. And with the launch of Abarth there can be no second thoughts. I would any day opt for it even in front of the GT TSI.
sub.g84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 17:01   #38
BHPian

Voted for Baleno. Until now, the i20 was leading in terms of VFM - thanks to Honda. But now, Suzuki has really upped the ante and given us a car with decent safety features across all variants. The only negatives I see, is the light build and Nexa (their lack of presence).
Old 16th December 2015, 17:18   #39
BHPian

If the poll was for a diesel hatch, it had to be Ford Figo amongst the listed options. Don't see any clear cut winner when it comes to Petrol. Baleno's build quality is questionable, while i20 has a mediocre petrol engine. If it was petrol, my confusion would be between Swift and Bolt for the value they bring at their respective price points. Between the two, it would probably be the Bolt for its sheer solid build quality.
Old 16th December 2015, 17:21   #40
BHPian

Voted For Others (Fiat Punto Evo).
The most underrated car of the lot, in B+ segment.
So much so, that it is not even listed here.
But its build can rival any-other car listed here, Performance not that good, but Ride and handling is still the benchmark of the segment.
Steering is excellent.
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 18:14   #41
BHPian

I voted for Ford Figo!
The simple reason being can afford to buy diesel at a cost of petrol Baleno, Liked Aston Martin shape, Powerful 1.5L Diesel producing 100+ PS, well tuned suspensions and safety features.
Old 16th December 2015, 19:11   #42
BHPian

Voting for the Abarth Punto here. Owned a GP since 2012 and the power was an issue. It has been addressed with the Abarth being brought in.

A true hot hatch that does not have all the bells and whistles of the competition but still from enthusiast perspective we can still live without auto head lamps, auto wipers, auto ORVM's and Reverse cams plus other gizmos but a drive train which has more juice left to be tapped from and a power train that is well engineered for extracting power from every drop of fuel.

Of course has a strong brand history with its engine imported fully. I hope the MultiAir finds it s way to India sooner.
sriramr9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 19:18   #43
BHPian

Voted for the Baleno. Reasons being:

1. ABS and Airbags across all variants.
2. A Peppy and Fun To Drive petrol engine. Competent diesel engine as well.
3. Sorted Ride and Handling. EPS is responsive.
4. Loaded with features such as -
  • UV cut glass
  • Projectors headlamps
  • A full fledged colored MID with lots of customisation
  • Puddle lamps
  • Touch screen HU with Apple car play
5. Lower Variants are well loaded too and doesn't feel bare bones at all.
6. All Black Interiors (Personal preference. May vary from person to person.)

Baleno disappoints me in two area, one is interior fit and finish and second is the thin sheet metal which is prone to get dents and dings easily. (We have a Swift at home and know how feeble the sheet metal is.)

Coming to the i20, I love the way it looks and is well screwed together BUT Baleno definitely has an upper edge over the Elite, be it price, features, driving dynamics or a better petrol engine.
Wish Hyundai will at least incorporate auto door locking and a MID in their premium hatchback which displays Range and Avg. Fuel Economy to name a few.

Just today, I drove the Swift after many days and immediately fell in love with the wonderful K series petrol engine which loves to be revved hard, a good receptive steering and appreciable driving dynamics.

While driving the Swift, I couldn't care less about how less the boot and rear seating space is or how does the interior plastic feels.
Since Baleno comes with the same engine with even lesser weight, I'm assuming it'll better Swift and hence my vote goes to the Baleno.

Believe me guys, at the end of the day what matters most is how does a car drives. If you love to drive then you wouldn't want to skip on this.

My advice to anyone looking for a car is to just go ahead and buy the car which you think will bring a smile on your face whenever you take her out for a drive.
Interior design, fit and finish would not matter much after a year or so in your ownership.
What'll matter is the on-road behavior of the car.

P.S.- The above opinions are for petrol hatchbacks only.
If I'm looking for diesel, I wouldn't want to skip on the lovely Ford Figo with that cracker of an engine.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 19:27   #44
BHPian

Honda Jazz
Versatile, spacious, frugal perfect for weekend getaways. It is the most practical hatchback available in India.
Old 16th December 2015, 19:50   #45
BHPian

Voted for Elite i20 due to its gorgeous looks and overall performance. Having said that I don't have anything against Baleno and after I got a chance to have a detailed look at it last week I must say, its in a class of its own. Its from Maruthi stable and that alone works for it. The material strength and lack of proper safety let's it down.

P.S - Also would have loved to see Abarth Punto here but then Abarth belongs to a special segment I suppose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks