Toyota Liva 6 0.68%
Maruti Swift 27 3.07%
Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 22:52   #121
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Thanks BHPians for pouring in your valuable suggestions. NEXA ambala was offering us a red baleno zeta with factory fitted seat covers and other accessories totaling 31k. Apparently, the car's original buyer could not get the loan processed on time. They were not willing to remove them citing various silly reasons. We were even willing to pay for almost all of them but NEXA guys were too adamant to waive basic kit (consisting of two pillow covers, car perfume and car charger) worth 6.5k. We were willing to make entire amount of a shade below 7 lakhs at that very moment but looks like the success of Baleno has gotten to their head.

Even 2 hours of negotiation with sales person and manager did not yield any result. Dad got pissed off with the 'take it or leave it' attitude of NEXA. He straightaway went to Hyundai showroom and booked elite i20. The delivery is promised within 5-10 days. NEXA guys were too to see us coming back to showroom and cancelling Baleno delta booking.

I must say NEXA has not lost a single customer but our entire family. We vow never to visit NEXA ever again.

Thanks Maruti and Nexa for shooing off a potential customer royally!
abhipuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 23:53   #122
Team-BHP Support

As per me :

- Diesel: I20 for over all, Figo (for drive) or Jazz for Space (at the cost of engine). Polo 1.5 is nice from a performance, but dont know how the overall ownership pans out.
- Petrol: I20 for refinement. Baleno (for K-Series). Dont know where to slot the Honda in there from an engine point of view. But if space is a constraint, it wins hands down.
- AT : Polo for outright performance, Figo for performance and brilliant pricing. Both the CVTs (Jazz and Baleno lagging there). But I guess the Baleno CVT will sell thanks to Maruti badge and now that the higher trim is available. Again Jazz is priced out of the orbit.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 12:12   #123
Senior - BHPian

Ford Figo diesel hands down for me. One drive was all it took for me to write the cheque. There is precious little I do not like about it. The only -ve were the pathetic 14" wheels. Those were upgraded upon delivery, to 195/55/15 Yokohama S Drives on nice set of alloys. That does it !

Found the interior space adequate. Given that my son is 6'3" & I am 6'1". My son could not find a proper driving position in the VW Polo which was also considered. I never found the Vento/Polo comfortable to drive, coz of inadequate knee room. Swift was a serious contender, but after the Figo drive, it was a no brainer. i20 was a top contender as well but the pricing of the diesel killed it vs Figo

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 14:11   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As per me :

- Diesel: I20 for over all, Figo (for drive) or Jazz for Space (at the cost of engine). Polo 1.5 is nice from a performance, but dont know how the overall ownership pans out.
- Petrol: I20 for refinement. Baleno (for K-Series). Dont know where to slot the Honda in there from an engine point of view. But if space is a constraint, it wins hands down.
- AT : Polo for outright performance, Figo for performance and brilliant pricing. Both the CVTs (Jazz and Baleno lagging there). But I guess the Baleno CVT will sell thanks to Maruti badge and now that the higher trim is available. Again Jazz is priced out of the orbit.
Sir, I know preferences are personal but I beg to ask more clarity on some points you mentioned above.

Diesel: I20 for over all, Figo (for drive) or Jazz for Space (at the cost of engine)
-- Do you think by any means the IDTEC is a slouch? I can understand the engine noise and refinement is a big turn off but it is extremely drivable, almost zero turbo lag and very linear in acceleration. IMO. Coupled with the on road manners the car comes with, it is a better deal than i20 if it's pure driving pleasure we are talking about. Jazz diesel is a very competent car minus the price tag it has and am sure lot of people here would agree with me.

Petrol: I20 for refinement. Baleno (for K-Series). Dont know where to slot the Honda in there from an engine point of view. But if space is a constraint, it wins hands down.
-- i20 for refinement, Seriously ? Jazz and K series are a notch above when it comes to refinement. IVTEC is a little gem and anyday and everyday can trump Kappa. I would put IVTEC and K-series on the top of my list for competent petrol engines. No one cares for second anyway.

No intentions to start an argument here but I wasn't quite agreeing to your reasoning overall. Thanks.
Old 10th May 2016, 14:47   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Do you think by any means the IDTEC is a slouch? I can understand the engine noise and refinement is a big turn off but it is extremely drivable, almost zero turbo lag and very linear in acceleration. IMO.
I never meant performance, but only refinement. I said I prefer i20 over all because of refinement of engine and interiors. Because they are more an important factor to me for my decision making. Had it been a major difference in power, it would have been difficult to chose.

Quote:
Coupled with the on road manners the car comes with, it is a better deal than i20 if it's pure driving pleasure we are talking about. Jazz diesel is a very competent car minus the price tag it has and am sure lot of people here would agree with me.
Thats one's own choice. Hence cant comment on that.

What I was disappointed with was how the Jazz has changed compared to Jazz of version 1. The change has to be progressive upward.

Quote:
i20 for refinement, Seriously ? Jazz and K series are a notch above when it comes to refinement. IVTEC is a little gem and anyday and everyday can trump Kappa. I would put IVTEC and K-series on the top of my list for competent petrol engines. No one cares for second anyway.

No intentions to start an argument here but I wasn't quite agreeing to your reasoning overall. Thanks.
I have driven all three and thats how I found it. I found it better refined, but lacking in power and drive. In fact the best to me is K-Series as the best all rounder. (Maybe because I was not feeling very comfortable with high revving nature of the Honda).Did not find much power in the lower revs. I guess its a question of getting used to it.

The other point was K-series with Baleno is very good combination in terms of interiors and the engine. But still I20 takes the cake for interiors.

I am in no way discounting Jazz, but thats how my personal observations were.

Last edited by ampere : 10th May 2016 at 14:49.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 21:35   #126
Senior - BHPian

I drove a i20 elite and for all the talk about it finally being a good stable car with improved handling, I find it pretty poor even now so everything else does not matter to me.

I own the first gen Figo TDCi Titanium that I really love to drive and the new Figo I drove a few weeks ago did not excite me much. The rear and over all styling to me looked a lot like the Tiago though the front is nice. I found the 1.4 on my Figo better to drive in the city than the new 1.5, but on the highway the new engine was much better. Some how I could not connect with the new Figo whereas it was love at first sight with the old Figo.

The Swift is too dated for me now, I also use a Etios 1.5 and it is a lovely car but again is now old, VW service is just not for me and I probably will never buy a VW or a Skoda and Tata is out of contention for my hard earned money

So finally it was a tie between the Jazz and Baleno for me. Jazz for its engines, space and the nice (to me) styling.

Baleno is probably the most value for money premium hatch today with ABS and Airbags even on base variants and I don't really care a lot for other 'ordinary features' as long as my car has power steering, power windows, airbags and ABS. For in car entertainment I prefer to take my cars to Bass&Trouble aka Ajay Kamat.

The Baleno goes ahead simply because the Jazz has a very stupid 6 month service interval which is a huge deal breaker for me. I just don't understand why Honda insists on this when Maruti Ford and most others have 1 year service intervals.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 18:46   #127
BHPian

I'd rate the Swift. The only car that makes you feel at home as soon as you enter. You'd hardly take any time to get used to the controls, acceleration and the width.
Elite I20 comes a close second but is second only because of its weird driver ergonomics. I felt slouched in the seat irrespective of the seat setting. Highway driving manners again is not as sorted as the Swift but way better than its previous avatar. Also, the looks border on overtly done body lines. Not to my tastes. This is purely my opinion.
The Baleno drives well in city mostly, but on open roads with some cross winds it does get a little unsettled. A pocket of wind can throw it out of composure not very inspiring for an enthusiastic driving. I found the engine response slightly better than the Swift. Probably because of the weight.
Polo though a perfect package to beat all of them if not for - Service, Rear seat space and dropping the 1.6 TDI master piece, it falls down to the bottom of my list.
Old 8th June 2016, 19:45   #128
BHPian

Punto Evo 90HP vs Baleno DDiS vs Figo TDCi Titanium vs something else?

Hi,

The title pretty much sums it up. Our family finally decided to upgrade from our 6 years/70,000kms old IndigoCS TDI to something a bit more modern and driveable. Of course, the first stop was at Tata Motors, as they were the most likely to give a good exchange price and bonus for our current car. The Bolt was too small, and the Zest was just about perfect, but in the end, we thought we'd go for something a bit more classy, and less Taxi-prone, this time.

We decided to get a premium hatch rather than a compact sedan, so that we wouldn't have to compromise on features for the size. The boot in our car has been useful, but I have to admit that most of the time, it was just there to look the part and add that sedan shape and length.

Our budget is 8.5 lacs at most, and it has to be diesel, as we like to go on long weekend trips. This means that the i20 Elite, the Jazz and the Polo were out, as they don't have a diesel model with ABS/Airbags in the price range. The Baleno, which has ABS and Airbags in every variant, and had almost all the features in the Delta variant, fit the bill. The Figo Titanium too, comes within this range, and so does the Punto Evo 90HP, after discounts (Originally 9.13 lacs).

I'm yet to drive the Figo diesel, but it promises to be an entertaining engine, although I'm not too crazy about the tiny wheels and the overall size, as it feels like a downgrade from our compact sedan, size and space-wise. But, if the engine and handling is entertaining enough to make me forget all this, then I'd happily overlook everything else. It's a fresh design, and very butch, with the big grille and muscled fenders and hood.

I've been hearing good things about the Baleno diesel, but I've only driven the Alpha petrol model. A friend who owns a Swift diesel VDi had driven the DDiS and said it felt similar, if a bit less agile. My family didn't think that the interiors were worth the price, and even though it was a fairly big car, and the design was fresh, they weren't as taken with the size and the shape as I was. I thought it was a mature looking design, and overall, a very nice package with the peace of mind and value associated with MSIL. They thought it was poorly finished, with a weird looking grille, mismatched lights, and far too noisy inside when revved, for a petrol. For the record, my sister has a Punto diesel, and both my dad and my sis are mad for it.

Then, on the way to the Nexa showroom to check out the Baleno, a temptress in white and red livery beckoned from the road side. It was the Fiat showroom, and the Abarth was parked outside. I don't even remember parking the car, or getting out, or walking to the vision of beauty, but in a moment, there was a lady in a suit by my side, greeting me, and asking me which model I was interested in, would I like a drink, and introducing me to a sales guy.

My family had followed me, possibly to make sure I was alright, and were already checking out the Punto Evo in Tuscan Wine on display. After talking to Hemant, the young salesguy, I realised with a heavy heart that the lady in white (or black, I didn't care) was unattainable, and with a heavy heart and backward glances, turned my attention to her lesser sisters.

After a short discussion of features, and some time spent in the car, during which my dad and sis had nothing but praises for the interior, we thanked Hemant, exchanged numbers and contact details, and left to the Nexa showroom.

Today, Hemant called me and said that he could offer great discounts on the Punto Emotion and even the 90HP Sport, which would bring them within reach if my budget, if I stretched just a wee bit.

So here's the dilemma. I want to use this car for at least five years and then upgrade to an SUV or a big sedan, and I want it to fetch a reasonable price at the time. Considering that the Punto is an older design that has been facelifted in 2014, and that the Figo and Baleno are both new, I'm assuming that the Punto will have the worst resale. But my heart doesn't want to compromise on the fun of driving a great driver's car, just for the sake of a possibly better resale a few years down the line.

What are the pros and cons of each decision here? My heart (and my family) says to go for the Punto Emotion or the 90HP (about 45K more than the Emotion), but the mind says go for the reliable brand with low upkeep and good resale. I'll be driving the Figo diesel this weekend, and I can't say anything about it till then.

I usually drive at 80-95 kph on highways, a comfortable pace for the Indigo. I hated the turbo lag and slow initial acceleration, and the horrible gearbox, but I was pleased with the handling of the car, which was improved a lot by fitting 185 section tyres on negative offset wheels. I like driving my sister's Punto which is a 2012 Dynamic Multijet model, with the higher GC and thin tyres. Is the Evo a better version, and is it worth the extra 45K to go for the 90HP model? Or, should I go with the 100 PS Figo?

I've gone through the reviews, but there is no comparison between the 90HP and the 100PS Figo and the Baleno anywhere. Will the extra power and CC of the Figo be a match for the 90HP, and will the light weight of the Baleno offset it's lack or outright power?

Please post your views and frank opinions. I admit freely to being seduced by the Punto, but I feel like I need a wakeup call. I'm also open to any other suggestions. I have no brand loyalty, and just need the car to be safe and well equipped.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 19:59   #129
Team-BHP Support

Re: Punto Evo 90HP vs Baleno DDiS vs Figo TDCi Titanium vs something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Please post your views and frank opinions. I admit freely to being seduced by the Punto, but I feel like I need a wakeup call.
Frankly, may be you do need the wakeup call. Sales for FIAT are almost nearing double digits and they don't seem to be having any clue about the future as well. Being an existing owner, I would suggest to look elsewhere.

Not to mention it's getting pretty old as well. In 2016, you are not getting a significantly different car as to what I purchased in 2012. There are no major feature additions as well, except for the facelift.

Being a satisfied CS owner - why not wait for a few days and include the new Volkswagen Ameo 108hp TDi as well? That should give tough competition to the current diesel rocket- Figo TDCi. You wouldn't need to compromise on features as well as the VW comes loaded with features. It is priced alongside the Polo as well, as per the petrol prices.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th June 2016 at 20:19.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 20:28   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please post your views and frank opinions. I admit freely to being seduced by the Punto, but I feel like I need a wakeup call. I'm also open to any other suggestions. I have no brand loyalty, and just need the car to be safe and well equipped.
I would say Figo. New car, good to drive and with discounts/offers you should be able to get the Titanium+(which comes with 6 airbags) for 8.5 On Road in Trivandrum. Once you drive it I am sure your confusion will be resolved to a great extent.

On the downside, the Figo will not be as solid as the Punto and although may command better resale than a Punto, will still not be great as it is already struggling to sell.

The Punto looks like your 'heart' choice and the Baleno is the safe, 'buy with the mind' choice. The Figo would be a balance of both.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 20:37   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to what Crazy Driver has posted. Not only the sales are dipping and the product being old, availability of service centers are a big question mark. Trivandrum has lost Mohandas Motors. So it is at best to avoid troubles by buying anything other than a Fiat.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 20:48   #132
BHPian

Here's my opinion. You need a diesel and keep it for five years. Your driving is not necessarily spirited. The three cars you are looking at are all good in their own ways. If you want peace of mind go for the Maruti, you can't go wrong with a Maruti with their huge service network. However the Figo diesel has an edge when you look at the performance. It is one of the best diesel hatches around, please check the Tbhp review. Ofcourse test drive it when you can before taking a call. Fiat, your sister and father are rightly smitten by them. These are beautiful cars, ride quality is outstanding, but service is a bit of a gamble.

Finally as a car enthusiast I would recommend following your heart. It's worth it.

Are you open to pre-worshipped options? Your search domain could expand.
Old 8th June 2016, 21:12   #133
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2016 at 12:14.
Dan9ie is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th June 2016, 22:03   #134
BHPian

I was faced with a similar predicament a year back. All said and done, we went with Punto Evo Emotion 75 HP because it was a bargain at 8 Lakhs for Emotion. And it was a diesel. No other car in its segment was being offered at such a price for a top trim. Not even close. I have no regrets so far. Can't beat the driving satisfaction that this car gives.

However, if I were you, I would consider the A.S.S in your area and spread of it across Kerala. It will be a calculated measure if you go with this car.

The next best option would be Figo for me.

Last edited by Ryuu : 8th June 2016 at 22:07.
Old 8th June 2016, 22:43   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to use this car for at least five years and then upgrade to an SUV or a big sedan, and I want it to fetch a reasonable price at the time.
Just forget about the Punto and Hemant if you are looking for keeping the car five years and want reasonable price. Can't predict the future of Fiat in India. Even the Figo resale if no great compared to Maruti and Hyundai.

Going by the current banning spree, five years is a long time for anything to happen with resale value. And to top it, your running 70k in 6 years do not justify a diesel. Why don't you factor in petrols too?

Most Viewed