Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2016, 16:58   #211
BHPian

Re: Hatchback vs Compact Sedan: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
All things considered, if I were you, of the 4 short-listed choices above, I would plonk the hard earned doubloons on the Honda Jazz for sure.
I like the Jazz too but as I mentioned the car is going to be a secondary car and it is majorly going to be used in the city. Jazz suffers from a poor performance below 2000-2500rpm which might make it a pain to drive in the city. This is why I'm leaning towards Amaze
Old 21st June 2017, 21:39   #212

Fellow bhpians,

Back to you guys for advice again. Bought an i20 elite Asta after my previous post and loved the car; 10k kms in 5 months. Did a Chennai- Pune in 17 hrs ( details of the trip will be posted in a separate thread). Have since moved to Bangalore and sold my i20. Now looking for another hatchback. Top priorities are- safety ( the more airbags the better), good build quality, reasonable boot, good suspension, rear seat comfort ( for the occasional long trip), responsive ( acceleration wise), price not above 8.3 Lacs, petrol mt, good after sales, low maintenance etc. Love the i20 since it ticked almost all the boxes and was a pleasure to drive but the 2017 model is close to 9 Lacs in Bangalore and hence want to avoid it. Did an test drive of jazz and the figo subconsciously comparing them with the i20. Jazz has great interiors, responsive engine, minimal noise when revving ( refined) but has an awkward shape and 2 airbags ( minus the bells and whistles in an i20 - rear AC etc). Figo - good interiors, reasonable boot, 6 air bags, priced 35k lesser than the comparable jazz model but has a noisy petrol engine that isn't that responsive ( had to floor the accelerator like a diesel to get it really moving). Need your help to decide. More biased towards the figo because of the lower price point, build quality and six air bags. Help please!
Old 26th June 2017, 00:13   #213
BHPian

Baleno vs Figo [upgrade from Sail UVA]

Currently : We own a Chevrolet Sail UVA LS ABS and a Suzuki Ertiga ZDi, both of them around 4.25 year old. Both of them have ran around 38000km each, and are in excellent conditions. Practically, we do not require a new car, but the itch is kicking in . We are planning on selling off the Sail, and getting a new car. We do not plan on replacing the Ertiga as it is still a very good and reliable 7 seater workhorse.

Our car history
Hyundai Santro 2000
Maruti Versa 2003
Ford Fiesta 2007
Fiat Grande Punto 2010
Ford Fiesta S 2010
Chevrolet Sail UVA 2013
Suzuki Ertiga 2013

Requirement
1. Decent looking
2. Good space to seat 3 at the back
3. Good city driveability - 80% time would be driven by a driver, but I do drive maybe 700-800km a month myself, so would prefer something peppy and fun to drive.
4. Decent service network would be a plus - We had some pretty nasty experience with Fiat, although Punto was definitely our favorite car, and a car we bought straight from the heart.
5. Mileage is not a big concern.
6. Safety must not be compromised

The options

1. Similar range of hatchbacks ?

Looking at Baleno Delta 1.2 (6.99 OTR) or Ford Figo Sports 1.2 (~7.1 OTR).

Good feature set and very good pricing is making them very lucrative right now.

Hyundai i20 is an option, but there are 6 i20's in my building, so not very keen on it.

2. Compact Sedan

Looking at the Dzire ZXI+ (~9 OTR) or the Figo Aspire.

The pricing is definitely ranging closer and closer to the next segment, wondering if it makes sense.
Dzire especially seems costly, as the lower end models are woefully low on features.

3. Upgrade to a higher segment

Looking at Hyundai Creta 1.6 E+ (~11.5 OTR), Vitara Brezza ZDI+ (~11 OTR) or Honda City 2017 / Verna / Skoda Rapid.

A bigger car defeats the point of a compact city lugger, but its definitely on the cards. Would mean an increase of over 50% of our hatch budget.

Right now, our primary contenders are the Baleno Delta or the Figo Sports.
So, considering that we are retaining our Ertiga, does it make sense to plonk the money for a higher segment car like the Creta or City. Or should we be going practical and get a hatch instead.
Also I must mention that we are not looking for Automatic models, even though it is easier in the city. Most of the times it will be driver driven, and I personally love to drive, and prefer a manual.

Also, any idea how much could we get by selling our Sail right now (37000 on the odo, 2013 March, prim condition).
Old 26th June 2017, 06:15   #214
Senior - BHPian

Which new petrol automatic for on road total cost of less than 10 lakhs?

Requirements for lady driver that will use the car in Pune city:
1. Auto box
2. Decent size boot - hatch or sedan - for accommodating monthly grocery buying
3. ABS + at least 2 airbags
4. Reliable and easily done after sales for A to B use for 7 years plus
5. Petrol engine
Being considered:
1. Baleno
2. i20
3. Jazz
Any others worth the test drive effort? Baleno seems to be the front runner - does that seem right?
Old 26th June 2017, 07:35   #215
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which new petrol automatic for on road total cost of less than 10 lakhs?

The Baleno is an excellent car, no two things about that. The sales charts speak for themselves.

The i20 is to get a refresh in the next few months. So, if you are looking for heavy discounts, then the i20 may appeal to you, or if you did not know about the refresh and wanted to go for one, then my suggestion is to sit out a few months so that she can drive the refreshed car

The Jazz though very competent is not selling well. Honda maintenance is touch-and-go

How about adding the new Dzire to the list. Its going to be India's largest selling car very soon and is based on the same Baleno platform but is cheaper and not necessarily less competent than the Baleno
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 08:09   #216
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the Dzire is in mind, having seen the reports. And perhaps its launch will reduce the waiting period for the Baleno.

Appreciate all the inputs.
Old 26th June 2017, 09:04   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

The Dzire comes with an AMT and is not going to be as smooth as regular AT's. The i20 AT Ex-Showroom itself is more than 9L and that too not in top trim. Don't think it is worth it. Apart from the Baleno and the Jazz, one other suggestion is the Ford Figo. You get a 1.5L engine plus stuff like ESP, Hill Assist which does not come in the other options. The 1.5+DCT Gearbox would make it more engaging to drive too.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 09:21   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Requirements for lady driver that will use the car in Pune city:
1. Auto box
2. Decent size boot - hatch or sedan - for accommodating monthly grocery buying
3. ABS + at least 2 airbags
4. Reliable and easily done after sales for A to B use for 7 years plus
5. Petrol engine
Being considered:
---
Any others worth the test drive effort?
Add S Cross petrol+AT to the list. Highly probable for this festive season launch.
Old 26th June 2017, 09:28   #219
Senior - BHPian

Will the S Cross meet the budget at all? I thought that would be at the 15 lakhs or so price point, on road, all told.

I just finished some research on the Dzire; looks outstanding at the price point, perhaps even better than Baleno. The only doubt is the different auto box.

I did not know that Figo is still sold. Not to dated?

Last edited by Sawyer : 26th June 2017 at 09:29.
Old 26th June 2017, 09:43   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not know that Figo is still sold. Not to dated?
The new Figo is launched in 2015 and looks quite contemporary.

Have a go at the automatic portion of the TBHP review here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3844236

And an ownership review here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html

Also - this thread has all automatic options under 10L researched:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...no-ertiga.html
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 09:55   #221
Senior - BHPian

Yes, thank you; I had no idea that a good looking Figo is now available! But the boot is too small, so the Aspire may be the one to check out.

Any updates on the Ford DCT auto box and its reliability? Other than that doubt, Aspire is also a very good candidate; ahead of i20 and Jazz, I think.
Old 26th June 2017, 09:59   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any others worth the test drive effort? Baleno seems to be the front runner - does that seem right?
If you have had a good experience with Tata sales & service (with your Nano), Tiago AMT could also be another contender. If the boot is too small for your purposes, then maybe the Zest?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th June 2017 at 10:00.
Old 26th June 2017, 10:00   #223
Senior - BHPian

Would suggest the Ciaz AT, base trim. Should fall within your budget, and it is a comfortable automatic sedan. Have one in the family and it serves the purpose. Ticks all your boxes too. Do have a TD and evaluate.
Old 26th June 2017, 10:20   #224
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Requirements for lady driver that will use the car in Pune city
Go for the Jazz CVT. It meets all your requirements, including a practical boot.

1. Women love the Honda brand. Don't ask me why.

2. The CVT is super smooth & seamless.

3. Light controls - she'll love it.

While driving, Honda's CVT feels a generation or two ahead of the Baleno CVT.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 10:35   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If you have had a good experience with Tata sales & service (with your Nano), Tiago AMT could also be another contender. If the boot is too small for your purposes, then maybe the Zest?
I am not a fan of 3 cylinder engines, and a quick look told me that there isn't a auto on a 4 cylinder petrol in any of the cars. Open to correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While driving, Honda's CVT feels a generation or two ahead of the Baleno CVT.
Ok, then Jazz will be on the test drive list, for also seeing how the new Dzire and its improved AMT does in comparison with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks