Tata Bolt 12 1.36%
Toyota Liva 6 0.68%
Maruti Swift 27 3.07%
Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2017, 12:53   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which new petrol automatic for on road total cost of less than 10 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Requirements for lady driver that will use the car in Pune city:
1. Auto box
2. Decent size boot - hatch or sedan - for accommodating monthly grocery buying
3. ABS + at least 2 airbags
4. Reliable and easily done after sales for A to B use for 7 years plus
5. Petrol engine
Being considered:
1. Baleno
2. i20
3. Jazz
Any others worth the test drive effort? Baleno seems to be the front runner - does that seem right?
I would consider Figo, Polo GT TSI and Jazz

Figo - It's small dimensions will help in driving around small city roads. It's well built too. GB is tuned for city driving.
Polo GT TSI - IMO, it may not completely meet your condition No.4 and also will be the most expensive of the 3.
Jazz - Although I didn't like the build quality of the latest Jazz compared to the old Jazz. it is a very well rounded package. Boot space is the largest of the 3
Old 26th June 2017, 13:06   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, thank you; I had no idea that a good looking Figo is now available! But the boot is too small, so the Aspire may be the one to check out.

Any updates on the Ford DCT auto box and its reliability? Other than that doubt, Aspire is also a very good candidate; ahead of i20 and Jazz, I think.
A great thread on the Ford DCT gearbox:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overview.html

The Aspire indeed feels like more bang (read boot/trunk) for the buck.
I guess if you ask for a Figo DCT, chances are that the salesperson would ask (and maybe push) you to consider the Aspire DCT as well!
Old 26th June 2017, 15:00   #228
Senior - BHPian

Dzire AMT should be on the list. Its definitely comparable to Baleno CVT irrespective of paper reports. Drive and you will see.

If going for jazz, then go for V version and not S version. S is too barebones, and you will repent saving the money not going for V version.

i20 is in next bracket of cars, since the automatic version is 1.4L and with lesser mileage (don't know how sensitive you are for mileage).

Somehow, I am not much positive on petrol versions of Ford (may be wrong, but still my personal opinion).

All the best in your hunt.

Quote:
Requirements for lady driver that will use the car in Pune city:
1. Auto box
2. Decent size boot - hatch or sedan - for accommodating monthly grocery buying
3. ABS + at least 2 airbags
4. Reliable and easily done after sales for A to B use for 7 years plus
5. Petrol engine
Being considered:
1. Baleno
2. i20
3. Jazz
Any others worth the test drive effort? Baleno seems to be the front runner - does that seem right?
Old 26th June 2017, 17:46   #229
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
for also seeing how the new Dzire and its improved AMT does in comparison with it.
Incomparable. To Maruti's credit, the AMT they're using today is far better than what we saw in the early Celerios. They have been continually fine-tuning it.

But the AMT is still jerky. There's no comparison with a smooth & seamless CVT.
Old 26th June 2017, 18:49   #230
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

I have still to drive an AMT car myself. From what you say and reading a little about it, I suspect that the end result is like a driver that hasn't quite mastered the clutch release skills needed for a smooth drive in a MT car. Except that unlike said driver that will usually improve rapidly, AMT once bought, will not. The lady in question is my daughter who has been driving for about 15 years now - all legally, I might add! - and is a very good driver. So she will not like that aspect of the experience, if I read things right.

Given the city driving application, auto box is a must have and Jazz seems to be the top contender.

She plans to test drive the shortlist, so let's see how that goes. Pity about the AMT; the new Dzire seems otherwise to be a splendid candidate. I would personally not pick Jazz, but look at something like the Ford Aspire with the 1.5 petrol auto box, but it isn't me that will either buy or use the car.
Old 26th June 2017, 20:07   #231
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Don't make assumption about AMT by reading, especially newer ones. I have tested both new and old ones, and new ones is leaps better, especially while flooring the peddle. It's like deciding whether Bedekar Misal is too hot just by reading reviews. Go and have a taste
Old 26th June 2017, 20:15   #232
Senior - BHPian

I agree; so she will test drive the Dzire as well as the Jazz. In the city it isn't the response to pedal flooring that matters as much as how smoothly the car can flow with and in the city traffic using just one leg and two pedals. The benchmark will be how a well driven manual transmission car can do this, albeit with a lot more effort.

A little penalty in fuel economy to get this is understood and acceptable.
Old 26th June 2017, 20:21   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the city it isn't the response to pedal flooring that matters as much as how smoothly the car can flow with and in the city traffic using just one leg and two pedals.
My daily drive (old non vtvt i10 Asta AT) excels in this aspect - too bad that the variants of it's successor (Grand i10 facelift) makes you choose between safety and convenience (AT only available in Magna and Sportz O variants which lack full safety features ).
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 00:55   #234
BHPian

We visited the showrooms and checked out the Figo, i20 and Baleno last Thursday.

The Figo didn't really go well with my parents. Even I thought the rear seat was way too cramped. My dad couldnt sit comfortably behind his front seat position. Directly ruled out.

Now, boiling down to the i20 and the Baleno, all 3 of us felt the i20 to be superior in the quality aspect. It just feels like a more premium car. Sure, the Baleno is way roomier, but the i20's use of lighter colors and the plastic and fabrics just feel a step above.

Now the dilemma arrives. We've narrowed it down to the i20 Sportz (7.26L OTR) and the Baleno Delta (6.93L OTR).

We're more inclined towards the i20. Granted, I didn't even consider the i20 earlier, just because its too common, there are already 6 i20's in my building, but after actually looking and riding in it, I gotta say I'm quite tempted.

What concerns me is that the i20 is seriously lacking in features. A basic like Rear Wash Wiper is only on the Asta(O) model, which is over 1.5L costlier.

The Baleno Delta has Tilt steering, Parking Sensor, Split 60:40 Seats, Climate Control, Rear Wiper. Its just much more loaded than the i20 is. That too, being 33k cheaper at the same time.

The Hyundai Dealer mentioned a waiting period of 3 weeks, while the NEXA dealer said 4.5 months.

I'm just confused. Should I wait for this huge period and go for the Baleno, for the sake of VFM and features. Or just compromise a little, and get the better built and quality i20.
ts1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 07:51   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post

Now the dilemma arrives. We've narrowed it down to the i20 Sportz (7.26L OTR) and the Baleno Delta (6.93L OTR).

What concerns me is that the i20 is seriously lacking in features. A basic like Rear Wash Wiper is only on the Asta(O) model, which is over 1.5L costlier.

The Baleno Delta has Tilt steering, Parking Sensor, Split 60:40 Seats, Climate Control, Rear Wiper. Its just much more loaded than the i20 is. That too, being 33k cheaper at the same time.

The Hyundai Dealer mentioned a waiting period of 3 weeks, while the NEXA dealer said 4.5 months.

I'm just confused. Should I wait for this huge period and go for the Baleno, for the sake of VFM and features. Or just compromise a little, and get the better built and quality i20.
I would Pick Baleno, it's a better car of the two. i20 is good, but in front of VFM Baleno & Practical Jazz, it lags behind. Have i20 Diesel Asta with me & a Baleno Delta Petrol. And I use Baleno more due to its better dynamics, better seats.

i20 is poorly equipped, the lower variants. I bought Asta because it was the only model with Dual Airbags, currently the same holds true.

Baleno is an all round car, while i20 looks good only in & out, in other terms it's a normal car that isn't worth that premium it asks for.

If you want Baleno quicker, try to give Variant & color options to dealer, you'll get one soon. I did same & got my Baleno in 15 days.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 08:06   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
i20 is poorly equipped, the lower variants. I bought Asta because it was the only model with Dual Airbags, currently the same holds true.
The current i20 does have Dual Airbags on every model, and ABS on Sportz onwards though. Not planning on compromising on that.

Did not check out Jazz yet, primarily because it's a lot costlier (~1L more) than a similar equipped Baleno variant.
Old 5th July 2017, 01:21   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Did not check out Jazz yet, primarily because it's a lot costlier (~1L more) than a similar equipped Baleno variant.
Do check out the Jazz too. There were some offers last month. The dealerships might not have got the new prices yet, but they will soon.
Otherwise too, I thought its more like 40K over Baleno, but is it 1L more? Which city is this? Baleno is better equipped but I kind of like the Jazz. After traveling in my friend's car many times, it's sort of grown on me.
Old 5th July 2017, 01:33   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
Do check out the Jazz too. There were some offers last month. The dealerships might not have got the new prices yet, but they will soon.
Otherwise too, I thought its more like 40K over Baleno, but is it 1L more? Which city is this? Baleno is better equipped but I kind of like the Jazz. After traveling in my friend's car many times, it's sort of grown on me.
Planning to check it out this weekend.

Baleno just got a price drop of 15k and the i20 of 13k on their ex-showroom prices due to GST. Was notified today by the Sales assistant.

And yeah, comparing Jazz V Petrol (the lower ones are very lacking in features), it is 7.39L ex-showroom, the Baleno Delta is 6.13L and i20 6.51L at the moment. Even a notch lower SV is 7.03L and S is 6.60L.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:19   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to check it out this weekend.

Baleno just got a price drop of 15k and the i20 of 13k on their ex-showroom prices due to GST. Was notified today by the Sales assistant.

And yeah, comparing Jazz V Petrol (the lower ones are very lacking in features), it is 7.39L ex-showroom, the Baleno Delta is 6.13L and i20 6.51L at the moment. Even a notch lower SV is 7.03L and S is 6.60L.
Yes, V variant is the only one worth considering. V being Top-1 variant, ideally should be compared with Zeta, however, the Baleno Delta is so loaded that makes this a reasonable comparison. I mean which mid-variant car in this segment comes with Rear Wash/Wiper, Defogger, Electrically foldable ORVMs, Auto-AC, Parking sensors? One reason why Balenos are selling like hot cakes
jetti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 22:56   #240
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have booked the Baleno Delta petrol. The booking was done last week and the quoted waiting period is 16 weeks. The final OTR is coming out to 7.2L along with 15k accessories. During my series of test drives last weekend, I could not test drive the Figo and the Aspire. Since my budget is around 7L, I was keen on the Aspire Petrol and the Figo Diesel.

The Aspire petrol felt decent but it was the Figo Diesel which impressed me. While the engine was nowhere as explosive as the VW 1.5 TDI, the engine still felt very good to drive. The steering was a bit of disappointment (coming from the old Fiesta) however, it felt as good/bad as the Baleno. Overall, I was more than impressed with the car and the engine.

When the time came for negotiation, I was expecting there to be good discounts on the Figo. I was offered 21k discount on the Figo Trend TDCI, bringing its final OTR to 7.70L. This was after a good 5 minutes of discussion. If the SA could have brought the price down to 7.4-7.5L, I would have mostly sealed the deal. However, 7.7L would be too much of a stretch for me. Now, I know that I will make up for the price difference in 2-3 years(my yearly running will be 8-10K Kms), but Maruti brings with it peace of mind, better resale(even though Figo will be diesel) and the Baleno brings with it much more features, more space, better looking interiors etc.

What do you think guys? Which car should I go for? I would like to hear your opinions based on these questions.

1. To the BHPians living in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai, do you think I can get a better deal? Any idea about a better deal going on?

2. What will be resale value of the Figo TDCI w.r.t. Baleno petrol? Since this is my first car, this factor is important to me. The higher resale might enable me to get myself a German turbo engine, God willing.

3. Maintenance cost of Figo diesel?

4. What do you guys think about the driving dynamics of the Baleno and the Figo? If we discount the engine, which car is better dynamically.

5. Any other points to consider?

I am looking to keep the car for around 5 years.

Most Viewed