Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 20:23   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
I am slightly inclined towards Baleno too but with sigma version due to budget constraints. The major disappointment for me is the lack of tachometer and IRVM. Does the tacho help at all or is just a cosmetic meter?
Quote:
You are right. Both the safety features are default. But the Dzire lacks very basic features. Even front power windows aren't there.
This is happening since you are on a budget constraint but have started liking car from a segment about your budget. In this case, you get a bigger car but lose out on some basic features. You will have to decide on-
1. Either increase your budget and go for Baleno Delta (which costs 7.5-8 depending on the city you are in)

2. Compromise on some features and settle for the base variant Baleno.

3. Compromise on the segment and choose something from the segment below.

I myself ended up with 1

Quote:
Agreed on Kwid. But Punto too? Is it not worthy enough to consider? I just was wondering and hence asking again.
Trust me. And this is from someone who has used a Fiat for 9 years and has a soft corner for the brand. Punto Pure is bare bones, has nothing as far as safety is concerned and the 1.2 petrol motor is lethargic. 68hp for a 1.1 ton car is a torture on the engine.

Quote:
I do not know why but the thought of Hyundai cars not even came up in my mind. Maybe because of the bad experience with our Accent earlier.
Did you buy the accent used? Asking because I know someone on this forum itself who used his accent for a good 10 years and around 1.2L kms and was quite satisfied with it. Hyundais can last the distance and time.

Quote:
So I take it that the petrol versions of Figo/Figo Aspire aren't good enough. I read such reviews on other forums too.
These are just opinions. Decide nothing until you test ride one. I hear that the ford 1.2 is lame in the city, up to the 3rd gear. Fourth gear onwards, there is quite a punch in it.

Quote:
I just hope I get the right car for my family.
Been there, done that. Over a period of time and multiple test drives later, my wife was quite bored with the entire idea of checking out cars and was ready to agree on whatever I chose. Its a different thing that the Elite i20 has all things women like (good looks and feature rich).

Quote:
Good piece. But I am sure it might go out of my budget. But budget aside, the instrument cluster in the center of dashboard just puts me off.
For the reliability, space and decent engine you will have to compromise on the interiors.

No car is perfect. End of day, you will have to compromise on something.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th September 2017 at 12:21. Reason: Added spaces for ease of reading. Thanks
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 22:14   #257
BHPian

Quote:
I am slightly inclined towards Baleno too but with sigma version due to budget constraints. The major disappointment for me is the lack of tachometer and IRVM. Does the tacho help at all or is just a cosmetic meter?
Not once you are experience enough with the car. I have Brio and City. Both have tachometer, and I can't recall when I last used that. Was good info at first, now my experience with the car tells me when to upshift. Its a good number to see when you are cruising, and the smooth petrol engine is coasting.

You should consider the Ignis too, if you want more features and is just a little less in comparison to Baleno on space. The Ignis Delta is cheaper than Baleno Sigma while Zeta is just a little bit costlier and comes with host of features. There is a small chance that there might be come discounts too as this model hasn't exactly being flying off the shelves.

Grand i10 is a strict no for me. Safety features are only there in the top variant and that is well beyond your budget.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 22:25   #258
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: On lookout for a car - Help me gurus!!!

Quote:
I am looking out for a car for my family now. I have read as much reviews as possible and have been on the internet for extended hours sourcing details of the cars I can think of, their niggles and its good stuffs. And yet we are unable to decide on a car.

Please help me narrow down with your suggestions, add any models that I have left out or even ask me any questions that might help you make suggestions. Really looking forward to some straight forward suggestions guys!!!
After looking at all your posts, I have a few suggestions-

1. Increase your budget and go car for Baleno Delta which should cost you around 7L on road.

2. Check out the Grand i10 Asta. I was offered 70k discount on it last month bringing its price to 30k less than the Baleno Delta.

3. Settle with the Baleno Sigma and lose out on a lot of features. Frankly speaking, I can't imagine my daily drive lacking a tachometer. It just feels good to see the engine RPM. You feel in complete control of the car and the MID looks complete. Again, this is just my point of view.

4. Settle with the Figo Trend. The 1.2 may not be as good as the Maruti K12, but I found it to be quite decent. It has got 257L of boot space which is decent. Do check out the Ignis Delta as well. Being lighter, it feels better to drive than the Baleno and the gear shifts are super smooth. The Ignis feels better to drive, but the Figo has better build, better steering feedback and looks quite elegant.

5. Go for the Tiago XZ and enjoy the features albeit at the cost of buying a B1 segment car and a slightly questionable TATA A.S.S.

Among these, option 4 will be the one I'd suggest to you as it offers you the best compromise taking into account engine, space, segment value etc. After this, I'd suggest the option 1, followed by option 2. I'd strictly avoid option number 3. At the end of it, this is how car buying is. You win some, you lose some.

Last edited by AYP : 19th September 2017 at 22:32.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 12:02   #259
BHPian

For finalizing the decision between petrol heads Baleno Alpha CVT/Manual vs Honda Jazz CVT vs i20 Asta Option Pack; I am looking for service costs comparisons.

Request you to share your experience with service costs
Old 20th September 2017, 14:03   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
1. Either increase your budget and go for Baleno Delta (which costs 7.5-8 depending on the city you are in)
3. Compromise on the segment and choose something from the segment below.
More than me wife is very keen with the Baleno Delta but me on the Sigma. I have begun to make up my mind that tacho is just a useless piece of device.

Quote:
I myself ended up with 1
If you do not mind me asking, what was it?

Quote:
Been there, done that. Over a period of time and multiple test drives later, my wife was quite bored with the entire idea of checking out cars and was ready to agree on whatever I chose.
Good one. I think I will take this route and see if I benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
After looking at all your posts, I have a few suggestions-

1. Increase your budget and go car for Baleno Delta which should cost you around 7L on road.

2. Check out the Grand i10 Asta. I was offered 70k discount on it last month bringing its price to 30k less than the Baleno Delta.

3. Settle with the Baleno Sigma and lose out on a lot of features. Frankly speaking, I can't imagine my daily drive lacking a tachometer. It just feels good to see the engine RPM. You feel in complete control of the car and the MID looks complete. Again, this is just my point of view.

4. Settle with the Figo Trend. The 1.2 may not be as good as the Maruti K12, but I found it to be quite decent. It has got 257L of boot space which is decent. Do check out the Ignis Delta as well. Being lighter, it feels better to drive than the Baleno and the gear shifts are super smooth. The Ignis feels better to drive, but the Figo has better build, better steering feedback and looks quite elegant.

5. Go for the Tiago XZ and enjoy the features albeit at the cost of buying a B1 segment car and a slightly questionable TATA A.S.S.

Among these, option 4 will be the one I'd suggest to you as it offers you the best compromise taking into account engine, space, segment value etc. After this, I'd suggest the option 1, followed by option 2. I'd strictly avoid option number 3. At the end of it, this is how car buying is. You win some, you lose some.
Checking out the Baleno Delta then Sigma and then Figo. If neither works out I will have to convince people at home for a Tiago/Tigor.

I will have to decide by this weekend. The True value guys have quoted 2.65lacs for my 13k run Alto800. I am going to check with Nexa guys if they can compete this quote if I book one with them.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:40   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
3. Settle with the Baleno Sigma and lose out on a lot of features.
I have booked the Baleno Sigma finally. There were many rounds of discussions with members of family. Took a test drive of Baleno this morning just for the sake of it. I am sure that the car brought for a test drive was that of another customer or the showroom manager or so and it did not feel good. I think the new car should be fine.

All aside, I personally feel the Tigor had a plush ride and generous features than the Baleno except for the 3-pot engine and its noise upon revving which could be audible inside the cabin .

But I still went for Baleno because of its design and the wide availability of service network. Just for an example, I went to the TATA website and tried to find out the workshops of TATA in the most common routes that I travel and I could find none. Those that popped up as an option were not servicing the Tigor. That is scary and I backed off. I even called one workshop and asked if he could fix the clutch plates of my Tigor and he said it might take 1 week or so.

Coming to the Sigma, though there could be lots of features in other variants I personally do not need all that. The only let down is the lack of tacho which I can live with. The engine, airbags, ABS, EBD, seats, etc are all same . Rest I can customize as much as I could. I am told a sigma is in transit and I could get delivery within 2/3 weeks. I made a point to check the VIN number before allotting the car to me. I am just waiting to see how this rolls out.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 22nd September 2017 at 14:41.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 15:04   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Firstly test drive all the cars that interest you. Ask them to come to your apartment and do the parking spot test.

The Baleno and i20 are quite wide cars going over 1700 mm. The Jazz a bit less at 1695 mm.
Took the test drive of Baleno on Tuesday. The car was brought to my residence. Parked the car and took it out of apartment compound. I find the parking just enough for the car. My parking lot is 2325*4075. With car dimensions being 1745*3995, a gap of 8 cms length and 58 cms width is available for me

Quote:
When it comes to petrol+manual combo, Maruti is not only ahead in terms of A.S.S. and reliability but also in terms of the engine performance.
Agree. Not aware of other A.S.S and reliability but the Alto I had never gave any problems during the 11 years I used it.

Quote:
I have booked the Baleno Sigma finally. There were many rounds of discussions with members of family. Took a test drive of Baleno this morning just for the sake of it.
After test drive and if I go for Baleno, it will be Delta Petrol for me. The showroom manager told that I can have the parking camera installed later at additional cost.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 15:41   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked the Baleno Sigma finally.
Except for the tacho, you can add almost all the fancy stuff later, one by one. You have done the right thing. The car is spacious and reliable and should serve you well on highways, with good FE and service support.

Enjoy.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:15   #264
BHPian

Quote:
I have booked the Baleno Sigma finally.
Congratulations, its one of the most value for money car in India. I don't think you would miss tacho much. Only thing of use that you won't be able to add is steering mounted controls but even that is OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Took the test drive of Baleno on Tuesday. The car was brought to my residence. Parked the car and took it out of apartment compound. I find the parking just enough for the car.
Great for you to have clarity. Now that you have fitted one of the widest hatchbacks in your parking spot, you can choose the perfect car for you in peace knowing it will fit. Do take care of turning radius too, so any car you choose do the same test first.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 15:39   #265
BHPian

Hatchback with safety features within 6 lakhs

Hi Bhpians,

Need your help to decide on a hatchback for my parents.
My dad is 65 and he is a good driver.

Key requirements:

[1] Safety features - Even though this is not a requirement from my dad, I'm particular that the car should have ABS EBD and airbags.
[2] Budget - Dad doesnt believe in spending much on cars. His budget is 6 lakhs OTR, but I can try pushing it a bit.
[3] Size - Dad is saying that he needs a small car which is easy to drive around in the city. But he is a good driver and he drives my Honda City quite nicely, so I suspect this requirement is more to limit the budget rather than actually the size, but he wont admit it
[4] Fuel - Petrol. Running (within 1000 km per month) doesnt justify diesel.
[5] Usage - He does a weekly trip of around 50 kms one way every week, plus small drives in the city.
[6] Ride Comfort - This is important. My parents have some (not severe) back problems, so ride comfort/soft suspension is important.
[7] Power - Dad likes cars with good driveability and low end torque (Santro Xing/1st gen Wagon R types).
[8] Handling and dynamics - Sporty dynamics and handling etc dont matter as long as the car is safe on highways. He's not an agressive driver and doesnt drive very fast (limits to 70-80).
[9] Ingress/Egress - High seating preferred, but this has not come as a requirement from them. They are comfortable with my Honda City too which has relatively low seating.
[10] Bells and Whistles - Dad doesnt want any extra features. Power steering + power windows (at least front power windows) + Remote locking + basic stereo system should do.

Cars under consideration:

[1] Tiago top end - Seemed to fit the bill except for the weak engine. Did a test drive and came out thoroughly disappointed with the engine and jerky power delivery. Spoiled the package altogether.
[2] Ignis Sigma/Delta - Dad doesnt like the looks much. Also not sure if rear bench comfort and width is good enough.
[3] Baleno Sigma - My favourite option but Dad says it's too big.
[4] Swift LXI(O) - Again Dad doesnt like the looks. Also new swift is just around the corner.
[5] i10 Grand - The spoiler is that ABS + Airbags available only on Asta which is way above budget.
[6] Celerio/Wagon R - Both are a bit too small for our liking and also not sure of waiting period for Lxi(O) variants.

We have done test drive only for Tiago. Please pool in your suggestions on the options available.

Thanks...
Old 10th October 2017, 15:58   #266
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hatchback with safety features within 6 lakhs

If safety is paramount to you, then the Polo & Etios Liva are the only cars in the vicinity of Rs 6 Lakhs, which are 'proven' to be Safe. Both are equipped with Airbags.

Otherwise, the Baleno is the best choice among the above shortlist.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 16:00   #267
BHPian

If I were in your place, I would have preferred a car with high seating position along with an Automatic transmission. They don't have any problem with lower seating or with the clutch now but you never know of the situation 4-5 years down the line.

Since it will be mostly self-driven and in a sedate manner, I would recommend WagonR AMT (O). I know it has some shortcomings but the ease of ingress/egress, compact dimensions, auto tranny, etc will be very helpful for them in the long run. Also, it has ABS and Airbags in the optional pack and will be within your budget.

Last edited by auto_enthusiast : 10th October 2017 at 16:04.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 16:45   #268
Senior - BHPian

You can add Tata Zest also to the list. Mid variant XMS covers your safety requirements.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 18:03   #269
BHPian

Etios Liva is a proven 'safe' car. And has a decent seating position.

But considering it is for your parents and seeing the specific requirements that you've posted; you could look at finalizing Tiago/Tigor or Baleno. If you can wait though, Dzire VXi with AMT is a suitable package (but the riding position might be low to your father's liking).
sleepyhead148 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 19:44   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
If safety is paramount to you, then the Polo & Etios Liva are the only cars in the vicinity of Rs 6 Lakhs, which are 'proven' to be Safe. Both are equipped with Airbags.

Otherwise, the Baleno is the best choice among the above shortlist.
Polo was not in our list due to the (may be perceived) service costs. My friend has a Vento TDI and service costs appear to be on the higher side. Liva sounds like a good option with rock solid reliability, but interiors appear to be bland and not sure about 1.2 petrol's performance. Will check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
If I were in your place, I would have preferred a car with high seating position along with an Automatic transmission. They don't have any problem with lower seating or with the clutch now but you never know of the situation 4-5 years down the line.

Since it will be mostly self-driven and in a sedate manner, I would recommend WagonR AMT (O). I know it has some shortcomings but the ease of ingress/egress, compact dimensions, auto tranny, etc will be very helpful for them in the long run. Also, it has ABS and Airbags in the optional pack and will be within your budget.
I'm also trying to push my Dad to consider an automatic considering the relief it would bring to his left knee. He has this feeling that if he drives auto tranny regularly, he may lose touch of driving a manual transmission car . But I'm sure his knees will thank him in the long run. Will try to take him for a TD for an AMT model and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
You can add Tata Zest also to the list. Mid variant XMS covers your safety requirements.
Actually not too keen on zest/bolt. Not sure of the reliability of the 1.2 L turbo petrol and mileage is also a factor playing in my mind. Will check it out anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
Etios Liva is a proven 'safe' car. And has a decent seating position.

But considering it is for your parents and seeing the specific requirements that you've posted; you could look at finalizing Tiago/Tigor or Baleno. If you can wait though, Dzire VXi with AMT is a suitable package (but the riding position might be low to your father's liking).
How is Baleno driving position compared to Dzire's ? I have driven Baleno but not the new Dzire. Also I'm thinking does it make sense waiting for the new Swift ? Not sure how far away the launch is for India and how it would compare with the current version of Swift.

Have to take a few TDs of the vehicles in my list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks