Other (please specify in your post) 32 3.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 12:46   #286
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
If he's a sedate driver, Ford might be worth checking out because the seating is quite comfortable and I felt higher than other cars. Titanium variant would give you height adjustment as well.
The other car that you shortlisted - the Ignis AMT would also be good, with higher seating and smaller footprint with high visibility.
Thanks. Will do a TD of Figo and see if he's ok with the engine. Rest of the parameters look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Then low end torque is important, very important. I would suggest let your father drive the shortlisted cars and then take a call.
Yes indeed. I realized that after the TD of Tiago. A car that looked perfect on paper, but was shot down after the TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Ignis Delta AMT should be around 6.7 lakhs on-road in Trivandrum. At this price you won't many cars as well rounded as this, satisfying nearly each requirement of yours. You could shave a few more by going with outside insurance, and hopefully some festive offers, could bring the price closer to 6. The extra amount is definitely worth the stretch, and 3-4 years down the line, I am sure you and your father will both appreciate the stretch.
Totally agree to your viewpoint. Let me try convincing him for an automatic. Even if it's not an automatic Ignis Delta manual sounds like a good option.

Friends. Thanks a lot for you inputs. Let me do some test drives (and a lot of convincing for the automatic ) and I'll get back to you on how it goes.
Old 27th March 2019, 16:42   #287
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Keeping all factors in mind, I have voted for the Swift.
Here’s how I see it:
Petrol: Swift/Baleno
Diesel: Elite i20/Figo
Gizmos: Baleno
Practicality: Jazz (though all the others are also practical in their own right)
I voted for the Swift as it is the best balance of all these attributes.

Do note that the scenario is very different in 2019 than in 2015:
+The Liva has flopped and the Bolt is non-existent
+The Swift has progressed to a new generation (which is arguably more premium)
+The Baleno, Figo and i20 have received facelifts (only the Figo has seen a drastic change in equipment)
+The Jazz is seriously overpriced from being just overpriced
If it were 2015, I would have voted for the i20.
Old 1st April 2019, 15:11   #288
BHPian

Elite i20 or Baleno or Honda Amaze

Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a Petrol hatch and I am pretty confused since i have always driven diesel cars. This will be a daily commuter and my daily running would be 60 kms with few long drives during weekends. Overall monthly mileage would be 1500 kms or so.

I am confused between Elite i20, Baleno and Honda Amaze. Most important part for me is FE and build quality. Creature comforts are ok to have but yes the quality of interiors should be good if not best.
I heard bad about FE of Elite i20 and Baleno is good at FE but safety aspects keep me confused (also the long waiting period).
Honda Amaze on the other hand looks good however its a CS that means with limited boot capacity (Cannot fold the seat in a CS ).

Can some Elite i20 owners help me with real world FE or maybe the experts here suggest something else.

Budget - 8.5-9 L OTR
Cars - Elite i20 Sportz plus - 8.5 L
Baleno Alpha - 8.79 L
Honda Amaze VX - 8.96 L
Old 1st April 2019, 18:03   #289
Senior - BHPian

Re: Elite i20 or Baleno or Honda Amaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a Petrol hatch and I am pretty confused
Did you have a look at Jazz? it offers much more space than i20/Baleno, is pretty well built and Magic seats offer versatility.

Since you are in Pune, you may consider a AT.
How about IGNIS? you can get good discounts on it too.
And since your budget is so good, you can also give NEXON a try.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 18:13   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Can some Elite i20 owners help me with real world FE or maybe the experts here suggest something else.
I bought i20 Asta last year after booking Baleno and cancelling it later. The build quality of Baleno did not inspire me as my usage is mainly on the highways (I do not use car for my daily commute in Bengaluru) and safety is more priority for me. OTOH Baleno wins hands down in FE numbers. i20, for me, has given 13kmpl over the last one year with majority (around 60%) of my driving restricted to highways. The interiors of i20 is much better than Baleno.
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 18:14   #291
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The i20 has a very average petrol engine. The same engine is decent in the Grand i10, but it feels sluggish in the i20. For petrol in this segment, Maruti offers the best engine. My pick would the Baleno followed by the Dzire if you want a compact sedan.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 18:15   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a Petrol hatch
Since your daily run is over 50kms, are you sure you want to move ahead with the petrol option? Most people with usage as yours opt for diesel, and that the price differential is settled over years.

I'd suggest you to TD the Tata Nexon and Ford EcoSport, which shall perform all your running duties well without being thirsty like Hyundai. Both offer decent creature comforts, and covers your safety requirements in check too.

Plus, if you're driving, then Automatic is the way to go IMO. In that case, Nexon AMT or Amaze CVT shall bring the pressure off your left foot.

Lastly, I'd suggest you to keep FE in the backburner while deciding the car. One may save 5k-10k over a year, which is important money, but the ease of mind a highly safe car provides, especially for highway runs is unparalleled.

Last edited by sharktale : 1st April 2019 at 18:18.
sharktale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 18:30   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Most important part for me is FE and build quality.
Unfortunately, these two doesn't go together in most of the cases in our country.

Since you are looking at the B2 segment cars, I think you should look at the discussion here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...thread-32.html (The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!).

This thread has a truckload of information that might help you finalize what you need.

Also, since you are looking at petrol cars, why not consider the JTP Twins?

Drive Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 19:37   #294
Senior - BHPian

Do consider Ford Freestyle, has better build quality than both Amaze and Baleno, petrol is said to be reasonably efficient.

I took the plunge from Diesel to petrol last year, not very rewarding in terms of both performance and efficiency, but Tigor at least has tank like feel to it.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 19:37   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
...Magic seats offer versatility....
No magic seats on the Jazz anymore, unfortunately.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 19:46   #296
BHPian

Quote:
I am confused between Elite i20, Baleno and Honda Amaze. Most important part for me is FE and build quality. Creature comforts are ok to have but yes the quality of interiors should be good if not best.
I heard bad about FE of Elite i20 and Baleno is good at FE but safety aspects keep me confused (also the long waiting period).
Honda Amaze on the other hand looks good however its a CS that means with limited boot capacity (Cannot fold the seat in a CS ).

I own a 2014 elite i20 Sportz (o) petrol. The fuel efficiency I would say is very less. Infact my rides are mostly in city, with 100% times A/c on, and returns a mileage of 8-10 kmpl, when ridden sedately. I've times when I got mileage of 6.5 kmpl as well. On highways I've always got mileage in range of 13-14 kmpl. Plus the engine is not so enthusiastic friendly, so if we try to push it harder, it bleeds on fuel efficiency directly.

The huge plus that I considered for the purchase was comfort and it has never disappointed me or my family, both on city rides as well as long drives.
Quality I would say is also okay, infact once a guy banged on my boot in a moderate traffic situation, with a baleno, and going by the sound that heard, I thought something really bad has happened, but was surprised to see that no structural damage has happened to bumper and only few spots of scratches were found.
ashikthomson is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:30   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a Petrol hatch and I am pretty confused since i have always driven diesel cars. This will be a daily commuter and my daily running would be 60 kms with few long drives during weekends. Overall monthly mileage would be 1500 kms or so.

Budget - 8.5-9 L OTR
Cars - Elite i20 Sportz plus - 8.5 L
Baleno Alpha - 8.79 L
Honda Amaze VX - 8.96 L
Since you have a running of around 60kms a day, am sure you would be doing close to 20k kms a year which makes a good case for a diesel.

I have a 2.5 year old i20 crdi which has done close to 35k kms. Apart from regular service, there have been no issues till date. I would suggest you to test drive the i20 crdi and then decide.

Looking at the FE numbers and driving pleasure am sure the i20 crdi would make a strong case.

Goodluck with your purchase.
aditya.86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:54   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Do consider Ford Freestyle, has better build quality than both Amaze and Baleno, petrol is said to be reasonably efficient.
+1

Quote:
Hello everyone,

For build quality and features do have a look at the Figo or the Freestyle, they have good safety features as well!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:25   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I bought i20 Asta last year
Thank You for your FE numbers this will help me selecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Did you have a look at Jazz? it offers much more space than i20/Baleno, is pretty well built and Magic seats offer versatility.

Since you are in Pune, you may consider a AT.
How about IGNIS? you can get good discounts on it too.
And since your budget is so good, you can also give NEXON a try.
Thank you. Jazz is not liked by wifey and IGNIS is pure ugly IMO. Nexon is again bad in Petrol FE and diesel in Nexon seems much better engine. I understand the ease of use of AT's but I am not a fan of Automatics as many of the people here . the fun is in shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The i20 has a very average petrol engine.
Thank you. This will help as it is coming from existing owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Since your daily run is over 50kms
Thanks. I would have gone for diesel if it wouldn't be for Vitamin M. i20 sportz P is offered in 8.10 L and i20 sportz D is for 9.5 L. As i said I am not a fan of Auto (Personal choice) but yes thats a good suggestion. Nexon D goes for 10 L OTR XT variant which again is out of my budget (8.5 to 9 is already stretched to limits )

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Unfortunately, these two doesn't go together in most of the cases in our country.
Agreed FE and safety doesnt gel well but we are Indians we want everything. JTP twins would be fun but bad on FE and somehow I don't trust the Tiagos and Tigors from TATA. Nexon is a different story though. That Thread is helpful thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post

I took the plunge from Diesel to petrol last year, not very rewarding in terms of both performance and efficiency, but Tigor at least has tank like feel to it.
Thank you Giri. Freestyle again lacks the looks as do FIGO and Aspire. I so wanted to go for Aspire but the styling is ehhhhh but after hearing from fellow BHPians about I20 P i am now more inclined towards mean machines from FORD. I have always been a Dieselhead (not sure thats what we are called) with Ritzie and XUV-500. Since both are gone now there's a gap to fill.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd April 2019 at 10:28. Reason: Only two Smileys permitted per post. Too many typos in the post as well.
ShivrajG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:41   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikthomson View Post
I own a 2014 elite i20 Sportz (o) petrol. The fuel efficiency I would say is very less. Infact my rides are mostly in city, with 100% times A/c on, and returns a mileage of 8-10 kmpl, when ridden sedately. I've times when I got mileage of 6.5 kmpl as well. On highways I've always got mileage in range of 13-14 kmpl. Plus the engine is not so enthusiastic friendly, so if we try to push it harder, it bleeds on fuel efficiency directly.

The huge plus that I considered for the purchase was comfort and it has never disappointed me or my family, both on city rides as well as long drives.
Quality I would say is also okay, infact once a guy banged on my boot in a moderate traffic situation, with a baleno, and going by the sound that heard, I thought something really bad has happened, but was surprised to see that no structural damage has happened to bumper and only few spots of scratches were found.
6.5 KMPL I20 Elite was on the top of the list and now its on the bottom. I am a Diesel driver and heavy on pedal, even my Pulsar doesnt give me over 30 KMPL i understand Elite i20 will burn my wallet in this case :(.
Thank You for your input this will definitely help

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Since you have a running of around 60kms a day, am sure you would be doing close to 20k kms a year which makes a good case for a diesel.
Thanks Aditya
Yes Diesel makes sense however i was keeping maintenance and other costs in mind as well but if the FE is that bad for a petrol car its better to go with a Diesel car with less features rather than Petrol with all the features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
+1

For build quality and features do have a look at the Figo or the Freestyle, they have good safety features as well!
Figo & freestyle honestly I dont like the looks but frankly speaking that is one hell of a Diesel engine from FORD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks