Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:10   #76
BHPian

Re: Need help with marriage proposal (Polo vs Figo)

Disclaimer : I own a Corolla Altis automatic. So you can already guess which way I will recommend.

If you are someone who (whether out of need or out of habit) looks at value for money, then definitely go with a Japanese or Korean (or Ford / Maruti). Do check the service cost difference per year, and more importantly the part costs like headlights, brake pads and rotors, suspension parts, etc

Unfortunately there are no options to lease for a month, or else you could have leased the polo for a month, followed by leasing the Ford. And then buy the right car
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:20   #77
BHPian

The parts and maintenance costs have actually gone down. Comparing official prices, my vento spares have cost me almost the same when compared to my honda city.
Routine service costs around 10k once a year or 15k kms.
Spares now have been localised for the polo and vento and are much cheaper than what it used to be.
My pick would be the polo.
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:53   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
A - Volkswagen Polo GT TSI
B - New Ford Figo Diesel (Trend)
Rather than the long writeup, it would have helped others help you better if you had explained about your usage in detail.
Nevertheless, steering is marginally better in the new Figo, not old Figo good but better than the Polo.
Ride is well sorted in both, no comments here.
Space would be a little more in the Figo.
Quality of interiors and exteriors, body shell etc, no brainer, Polo wins hands down here.
The TSi is a gem of an engine, but mate, face the tragedy, it doesn't come with the best in class VW manual gearshift. And the 7 speed DSG is known for bad reasons.
Figo is a diesel here.

I think Figo wins. If the DSG was any better in long terms, it was a bigger fight. For now, it's the Figo.
Moreover, I own the New Fiesta. I won't compare the Figo with my car but dude, it has got 10 more horses and is a big deal a lighter car too.
It will be a hoot to drive car, the Polo is an excellent to drive car too, but if I were you, I would go for the Figo. I would consider the Baleno 1.2 too. My old Swift with the same engine and heavier body used to touch 90 in 2nd gear. With Baleno, it would be better.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:55   #79
BHPian

Go for A. Forget B, let her go.
I also married a girl from B's family and while I had her she was fun. But I will tell you the way A's family has brought her up - A will not only have great looks but is also very strong and will protect you and your family in her heart. Though she will be troublesome, while she lasts she will keep you safe.

Whereas B, UNLIKE her siblings whom we ALL got to marry, B is especially the weaker one of them all. She was a prospect for me when I was shopping last month but I found her build quality terrible (albeit the jazz you see in the cabin). It won't stand in comparison to A. B's parents broke a family tradition of making strong children and chose to make her shiny rather than strong.

Go for A, albeit her problems or look for a B, C and D
artrocious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:38   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This summarises it beautifully!
Fling = GT TSi
Life = Figo

The GT is a fantastic car, but the Figo will just be easier to live with (assuming you don't have traffic that would be better dealt with in an A/T).

How about a third option - the Abarth?
Sure the Italian can sing, you'll face all the music of 'A' & her parents have a habit of shutting their doors on your face & packing up & leaving.
kestersujay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:48   #81
BHPian

I don't understand this "long term reliability of the DSG gearbox". Especially from people who don't own the car. I personally know atleast 4 people who have driven their GT for 25,000 kms+ in 2 years & not a single complaint. Unless you mean 100,000 kms or more as "long term" which very very few people manage in a span of 3-5 years (the average time one keeps a car around), then please don't spread the wrong word about reliability. I'm very happy with my GT & so are the other people who own it. Unless you plan to wait for the GTI (which I doubt considering your budget), just go for this!
polo_ankit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 14:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting read !. I thought this is a real situation.

Whether this is a marriage or fling depends on your financial planning.
If this is the only car that you are going to you buy in a long time(>5 Yrs), you have to play very safe and go with Figo.

If this is a car that you will eventually replace someday, then go for POLO GT TSi.

Life is all about experiences. DSG is an experience that should be had. The convenience of not having to change gears in traffic is unmatched.
When you look back on your car purchases after sometime, you shouldn't feel, I always played safe, should have tried something exhilarating.

So your choice, you decide if this is a marriage or a fling.

If you ask me, I replace cars every 5-6 Yrs. So definitely not a marriage.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 15:20   #83
BHPian

This is the advice I gave a friend too and he liked it. Cars should not be given the stature of a wife and instead be treated like flings.

Why, because you don't marry someone for a short period only. And since the average age of cars is around 3-5 years and we replace them afterwards, they better be our mistresses.

I take very good care of my cars but do not get attached a lot with them coz I know one day she will go.

Since you said for an affair you would prefer the polo GT TSI, go for it. Coz it won't last forever.

Another advice which I think Hormazd from autocaṛ also said was, buying a car should be a heart decision and not a mind one. I totally agree and recommend the same. Once again polo GT TSI it is for you.

Lastly I have been driving a polo and now a vento and none of the cars gave any trouble. The vento is 4 years old now and the replacement can only be a Jetta now, having driven many cars over couple Of months, but couldn't like anything else. Corolla and creta don't have the driving dynamics , safari duster and other SUVs don't have the build quality or high speed manners, so it came to either an octavia or Jetta. Now it's just about timing.

Hope it helps you in making the decision.
Alisiddiqui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 16:01   #84
BHPian

Brilliantly written post. Made my day.

I would personally suggest go for option B. Marriage is a long term (at least 5 years) commitment. While you may love option A, B would keep you happier in the longer run.

On a side note, you're chosen an excellent time to get married. There is another family, very old and very reputable. Their children are known to be very down to earth and should not hurt your wallet at all. This new daughter of theirs is very popular, so you may have some trouble getting your hands on her, but if you persevere, you will have a great partner for a long time to come.

Option C - Maruti Baleno
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 20:42   #85
Senior - BHPian

The Figo is a safe choice but ask yourself this: When you park at a traffic light and a gleaming new GT TSI pulls up alongside you, how will you feel about your purchase?

Only you know the answer and that should determine your decision.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 15:40   #86
BHPian

I really feel you have already decided on the girl you want and posting it here is you looking for an excuse. Just somebody to blame when you are questioned initially and later when something goes wrong.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 17:55   #87
ais
BHPian

It all depends on your personality type really, and what you are passionate or particular about in cars. Rather than marriage, buying a car is more like a live in relationship! There are some expectations and care required from either side but one can change a car at a cost when needed. This I gather will be your only car (not a harem!), and from your post it is evident that a car is not just a machine to get you from A to B- you have a degree of passion in there. It will be with you for the foreseeable future. Go with what your heart says. If something does goes wrong it can be fixed.

The important thing is that once you buy the car you decide to, there shouldn't be that regret- 'oh, should have gone for the one I really desired'. You only live once.

If it helps for you to know- my first and only car is a BMW 320d Sportline. I saved up for it and waited years and years for a BMW. Any 'buyers remorse' initially was wiped away with a twitch of the right foot! No regrets, and hope to 'upgrade' to the next generation 3 series petrol which my friend at BMW Germany says will be a cracker designed to retake the Handling crown from Jaguar XE and then some.

All the best, and remember to send us an invitation card for your baraat and reception.
ais is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 18:22   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Relevant F.R.I.E.N.D.S clip:

You'll thank me later!
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 19:48   #89
BHPian

Take each of them on a long date, make out with them and do what your heart says, I would say. Proposing polo is like marrying a model or a film star. She has the looks, the power, the build and safety and She will make ur shoulders prouder when you stand in a crowd. She might cost you more time and money for her make up and shopping, but good things come at a price right?

For me Figo is like the traditional Indian wife. She will faithfully stand by you for a long time, won't drain your pocket much on shopping. But she won't give you "that pride" I guess.
(No offence to Figo owners just my opinion. )

Btw, you sure you don't want to go on a date with the hot Italian supermodel
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 22:25   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Take each of them on a long date, make out with them and do what your heart says, I would say. Proposing polo is like marrying a model or a film star. She has the looks, the power, the build and safety and She will make ur shoulders prouder when you stand in a crowd. She might cost you more time and money for her make up and shopping, but good things come at a price right?

For me Figo is like the traditional Indian wife. She will faithfully stand by you for a long time, won't drain your pocket much on shopping. But she won't give you "that pride" I guess.
(No offence to Figo owners just my opinion. )

Btw, you sure you don't want to go on a date with the hot Italian supermodel
Well articulated Night Raven
Ive already had a date with the Italian chick and hell sure that it aint a one night stand!
maninr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks