Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2015, 17:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Need help with marriage proposal (Polo vs Figo)

Loved the way you put forward your dilemma. Choosing one car out of these two won't be easy.

If you want a fun to drive car which is convenient to drive as well, it should be the Polo GT TSI. Yes there are concerns about the DQ200 gearbox it sports but frankly it shouldn't bother you too much. Off late, not many failure stories have come up and I don't remember reading even a single story about the DQ200 failing in the Polo.

On the other hand, the Ford Figo is an excellent car in the diesel guise. I am a person who doesn't like diesel cars but I loved this one. The power is amazing and the way it is delivered is superb too. Yes it doesn't look as classy as the Polo but a white Figo with a set of tastefully chosen alloys will do the trick. It is more spacious, will be more economical to run and lets you save a good amount of money. The car in stock form is already faster than the GT TSI. Can't imagine what a remapped Figo would feel like with wider rubber and maybe upgraded suspension

P.S.: If you decide to go ahead with the Figo, please go in for the Titanium variant. ABS is well worth the extra money and very useful with the kind of power on offer.
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 18:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

A gorgeous, fast-paced girlfriend needs good and willing stopping/slowing power to ensure paces and frequencies match in a marriage else it can lead to collisions and discomfort. The Trend even without ABS has the best of the best brakes anything below and a segment above.

A low initial marriage cost can provide good budgets for expensive honeymoons later. An expensive wedding can lead you to a life of "diamond in the box" when its meant to sparkle and shine outside.

On another note, Titanium has discounts worth 20-30k whereas Trend has none. So take a calculated call if you go with B.
dipen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 19:34   #48
BHPian

Having had fun with "A", I can safely say, she isn't as demanding as people claim & as you think. If you fall into the rare category of people who love modding, then brother, you're in for a roller coaster ride with her. She's a money pit! But oh, the fun that can be had with her is immeasurable! "B" is a very practical choice but then again, like someone very rightly said, this isn't a 20 year marriage, is it? It's more like a relationship so I'd definitely recommend A without a hint of hesitation

All the best & btw, excellent writing skills! Cheers
polo_ankit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 20:21   #49
BHPian

It's a no brainer really, the Polo TSI wins. This 'marriage' would last you what, 10 years, like most these days? Choose the one that makes you want to stay back with her from work more often. The one that will keep you young through the decade is the Polo GT.
vroomsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 20:57   #50
BHPian

Hey brilliant writing

Just wondering:

Its clear that you like the GT TSI for what it is and yet you compare it with the Figo Diesel. Not that the diesel isn't comparable but if you want the comfort of an automatic, Why not look at the Figo diesel's evil twin sister and get the Figo Automatic DCT?

The Figo will give you the benefits of the brand and keep your pocket happy.

Well, not to add to your woes, but it is a suitable contender IMHO.
laxmanrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 01:12   #51

Excellent theatrical presentation of your dilemma CAPSLOCK !! Needless to say, we all get stuck in this kind of crossroads while purchasing cars, even if we had decided and dreamt a car before. In my case, Verna was my dream car but just before finalizing sheer beauty of city distracted me, but then the performance of verna won over the beauty of city. In your case figo seems to go along a long way without hassles though polo has earned more hearts owing to her solid built. So, if you don't want to take chance with your peace of mind then go for figo.
vashisth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 03:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

No prospects for the 'other woman' the Abarth Punto

You better read up on the Italian beauty here before committing
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...vs-others.html
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 05:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
You have to listen to your heart if you want to be happy. I fell in love with an Italian lady called tjet but my family forced me for the Ecosport :(.
Speaking from experience, you'd wanna do what your heart desires!
(1) While deciding on Figo (petrol) everyone was pushing us towards POLO, i20. I went ahead and settled for Figo. Yes, this loses breath at 140 mark, but then this is primarily for my son to drive to college.

(2) While deciding on T-Jet, everyone was "desperately" (and they had all negatives to talk about FCA India -- more of hearsay than personal experience) pushing me to City/Verna. I still went ahead settled for T-Jet.

In our case, it was only mind that was at work in both cases. Both these decisions have turned out comparatively lighter on pocket when it comes to maint. costs. My mind loves money the most and heart is happy with more cash to spare for enjoying other goodies in life
rusticnomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 07:55   #54
BANNED

I chose the Figo diesel(BASE). The I got a GT/Cruze? rivalling engine for 6.17 lakhs and added fog lamps and music system for 18k. But I am a commuter, you may be a enthusiast.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:01   #55
BHPian

3 Indians were driving to Prague from Wolfsburg. The Hertz rent a car they were driving was a Seat Leon 1.2TSI with a DSG gearbox. At the end of the road trip, they were convinced - the petrolheads in India would love the engine / trannie combo.

Since they were in a position to influence that sort of thing, they spent the next 18 months making it happen. They ensured that the Polo GT had everything it needed and nothing it didn't to avoid making it beyond reach for all the petrol heads who have other EMIs to pay.

The GT was a homage to the initials of the then head of VW Sales Asia Pacific who was patient to listen to the trio just enough not to lock them up in a salt mine accross the border in Poland!

2 of the trio are still in Wolfsburg and the 3rd asked me to tell you this urban legend so that you'd be a little more eager to choose the Polo knowing well that the people who built it, built it because they like you love great cars (and have EMIs to pay).

Have a wonderful New Year ahead, no matter what you choose!
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:31   #56

I would suggest you to take the responsibility of Figo as Polo will be a high maintenance wife. If budget is not a problem then choose that family which has a family home (Authorized Service Center) nearer to your place of convenience (Home/Office).
Glessrob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:37   #57
BHPian

I love the Polo, a solid car, except that it is from VW - and the horror stores I keep hearing. I had the same dilemma, infact had a third option of Fiat Punto, which is again a heck of a car.
Eventually choose Figo (Diesel) as (1) Trusted reviews of Tbhp (2) Did not want to bothered about expensive spares (3) Needed to be trustworthy - could not afford to have a Sehwag like car (Super Hit or Super Flop, depends on the day)

I am pretty happy with the choice. Yes, I have to choose my second car, it would probably be the Fiat.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 11:24   #58
BHPian

Polo:- Best looking hatchback in India. GT:- Power with Auto transmission.
Figo:- Features and Pricing advantage.

ASS, Ford is just slightly better.

Choice would be Polo GT if you want a good looking hatch with power and auto transmission. Figo if you are looking at practicality in terms of budget.
raja_ys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 12:27   #59

Man what a description. I would straight away say:
1. Nothing can beat the adrenaline rush while dating and hanging out with the gorgeous GF aka GT TSI.
2. For marriage, why not let the GF be the household one too. Imagine the same spark everyday. remember life is too short to think too long at a stretch. So Cheers !
apoorv agha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 12:31   #60
BHPian

You almost had me on this one, for a moment I thought how can someone post such a dilemma on team-bhp and how come this thread is still not closed by the moderators.

I am sure if you share your dilemma with both the manufacturers (volkswagen and Ford) in this style then there is a possibility that they will let you keep their cars for a certain period of time till you come to a conclusion.

I would say just listen to your heart.
If you do not have budget constraints then do not think of practicality, ASS, etc.

In such a situation I would personally go for the GT TSI, the dream girl .

But one thing I could not understand is why you have not compared the Figo with GT TDI?

-amiya
amiya.c is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks