Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 21:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help with marriage proposal (Polo vs Figo)

So who's the lucky girl finally
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 00:26   #92
BHPian

I first thought you are marrying a fellow petrol head and asking for advice which one she would like better and the yes/no depending on her liking the car.

Never the less I will still base my answer on the following assumption and say Polo GT - if nothing else it increases your chances of finding your real soul mate - they are a great conversation starters (y).
CR-V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 09:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
When you park at a traffic light and a gleaming new GT TSI pulls up alongside you, how will you feel about your purchase?

Only you know the answer and that should determine your decision.
I know how I feel though!

I know it's a beautiful car, I know I secretly want that over Figo but I also know that my Figo has got what it takes to take the rich spoilt brat down, so floor it! And boy, it doesn't dissapoint!!
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 12:04   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
So who's the lucky girl finally
Yet to decide... But will do it soon :)
capslock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 14:01   #95
BHPian

Have you tried the palm test on both cars. What I noticed is that the Ford caves in rather easily as compared to the rock solid Polo. And come on, who are we kidding, the looks department winner is VW hands down.
motorhead16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 18:44   #96

Great way to put forward your query Capslock.

I have been stuck in a similar "Love-Triangle" since the past few weeks and have followed this thread (and many other threads)on TBhp to help my decision. My girl A is the Polo GT TSI and girl B is the Ford Figo DCT.

Whichever car I pick will be my primary and only mode of transportation wherever I go- doing chores around town, occasional highway trips (plan to go for atleast one every month) or going out during the weekend. So needless to say I need car I can count on, even when I go to far-off places and drive alone. I currently use office cabs for commuting, so average driving will be on the lower side. I am not a family man(yet), so space constraints in Polo do not matter to me.

I am having to stretch my budget quite a bit to go for the Polo here, but having read here so much about the GT, I decided to test drive it. I had almost finalized the Figo DCT by this point before a friend insisted I test-drive the Polo. Needless to say I was floored by the performance, the simple yet elegant interiors and the solid build quality.

My only concern right now is the after sales and maintenance costs of the GT. I have read up extensively on the forums and it seems that ~10k is the annual cost of maintenance for the Polo. And that the transmission issues are a thing of the past. Could the owners please comment if they have faced any issues with their GT or have had to shell out more money apart from the maintenance? Can I count on it to drive out for destinations 8-10 hrs away without facing any problems?

PS-Its my first post here, so please excuse if I posted something wrong.
pdeshp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 21:47   #97
BHPian

Not sure if someone has already said this or not because I don't really have the time to go through all the posts, but I wouldn't consider the Polo because of the poor rear space. When I was considering the Polo (back in 2012-2013) the rear space was pathetic. My father loved the car, but ultimately decided against it due to the terrible rear space. Haven't sat in the Figo so can't really comment on that, but i loved the old one! Ride quality was amazing and it was one of the last hatches to get a hydraulic steering I believe.
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 12:09   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeshp View Post
Great way to put forward your query Capslock....... My girl A is the Polo GT TSI and girl B is the Ford Figo DCT....
Thanks for the kind words!
@GT TSI Vs Figo DCT
I felt that GT is better than Figo DCT in each and every way, that's why I almost finalized GT. Then just for the fun I test drove Figo Diesel and the entire confusion game started. I still haven't booked the car :(

But, if its just between GT or Figo DCT for you then I would suggest, go for the GT.
capslock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 09:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
My only concern right now is the after sales and maintenance costs of the GT. I have read up extensively on the forums and it seems that ~10k is the annual cost of maintenance for the Polo. And that the transmission issues are a thing of the past. Could the owners please comment if they have faced any issues with their GT or have had to shell out more money apart from the maintenance? Can I count on it to drive out for destinations 8-10 hrs away without facing any problems?

Welcome to tbhp bro. I have driven a polo manual for 2 years and now a Vento 1.6 AT for 5th year. May not be able to give first hand experience in DSG issues, but yes for reliability or service, can do.
The service cost is 10k annually. Except alternate years when schedule calls for change of spark plugs , brake shoes and some rubber parts like suspension mounts, etc may need change , so factor in another 8-10 k for 2nd and 4th service. These may be there in any brand for that matter and none of my cars have ever asked for anything extra so my experience so far has been peaceful.

Initially having read so many reports of oil pump getting damaged due to low ground clearance, was very careful while driving, but fortunately nothing happened and GC is sufficient. Maybe the people who faced the issues were real novice and aiming for the boulders. I have done many long distance drives on the car and never have I had to check before rolling out , and I would say that would hold true for any major global manufacturer . The only trouble is "what if" your car faces issues on the go, the nearest service station may be far off which occurs to me too. So you may have to call for a low bed and transport your car back and hire a car to complete your trip. So take adequate insurance to address such issues too. But then, this is the case is most brands apart from Maruti, Hyundai, tata, Mahindra, etc who have their own issues to address. Thankfully, never faced such a situation until now.

Rear seat space is a constraint but you don't need it.

DSG issues were fixed I believe by a wet clutch system against a dry one previously.do take warranty for extended period so that any possible issues you encounter are taken care of. My co brother recently bought a GT TSI and did face some jerking issues which were related to the tranny but were taken care of , except that it took some time to source parts from Germany. Since this wasn't his only car, he didn't mind. And is extremely happy with the car even though his other drive is a BMW X1. There may be those one off cases where you may have to visit the service Center more than required and the satisfaction of driving one may override that. But it's an individual call and you need to decide. If you wasn't no nonsense experience, stay clear to avoid that 1% or whatever the number comes to possibility of you facing issues. They will be taken care of but will need your time.

It's difficult for me to move out from the VW stable, current cars lease over and if I upgrade, the car can only be a Jetta AT, which is too expensive and maybe out of my budget for now, so gotta run the Vento for longer.

I would say, the pleasure of a VW is far higher and there is a small percentage of possibility when you have to go the extra mile which will be accepted by someone who enjoys the drive and overlooks the nuances or if you are one who needs no nonsense and want delivery as expected always, then maybe look elsewhere. I don't know if ford may offer anything significantly better too. So between the two,on after sales , reliability and reach they don't differe a lot. Except , the cost of owning a ford may be lower. Nothin wrong in regular maintenance but if you need to undergo something serious, it may be costly. Warranty should address the same.
Hope it helps I'm your decision making.
Alisiddiqui is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 16:19   #100

@capslock and Alisiddiqui- Thanks guys for your advice. It has been my dream to own a car that is pleasure to drive and the GT gives me the chance to do that. Having always gone with the safe choice and somewhat boring cars in the past, I knew I might not get a chance to live that dream again.

So, I have decided to follow my heart and booked my Valentine- Carbon Steel Gray GT TSI today
Old 21st February 2016, 18:20   #101
BHPian

Quote:
@capslock and Alisiddiqui- Thanks guys for your advice. It has been my dream to own a car that is pleasure to drive and the GT gives me the chance to do that. Having always gone with the safe choice and somewhat boring cars in the past, I knew I might not get a chance to live that dream again.

So, I have decided to follow my heart and booked my Valentine- Carbon Steel Gray GT TSI today
Wow. What a day. Enjoy the drive dude. Hope you've got the car by now. Would recommend tha you switch tires to Michelin primacy 3st on day one. Would set you back by 10k but would be worth it. Tires are not German standards. These would be 10mm wider, but silent, grippy and comfortable.
Alisiddiqui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:06   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Wow. What a day. Enjoy the drive dude. Hope you've got the car by now. Would recommend tha you switch tires to Michelin primacy 3st on day one. Would set you back by 10k but would be worth it.
Thanks man, I am taking the delivery on 25th Feb. Regarding the tires, dont think I wanna shell out money for anything but the absolute necessary stuff- buying the GT stretched my budget quite a bit.

Might be a little , but regarding car seat covers anyone has any experience with Karlson leather in Bangalore recently?
Found good reviews about Imperial Inc in the Directory, but am sure there would be other good places in and around Indiranagar. Any suggestions?
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:31   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The Figo is a safe choice but ask yourself this: When you park at a traffic light and a gleaming new GT TSI pulls up alongside you, how will you feel about your purchase?

Only you know the answer and that should determine your decision.
You just floored me with your response, I was closely following this thread for the last week as I was in the same boat as capslock, unable to decide between a diesel Polo and Ford Figo.

When I pictured myself in that situation you mentioned there, also the thought that this would happen regularly for 3 to 4 years, I have decided to follow my heart and go for a Red Polo(I am stretching already and GT is out of question here)
kishore1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 19:57   #104
BHPian

Nice and Interesting post dude

I always aspired to buy Polo but went on to buying Figo TDCi. It was love at first sight first Date(TD) @Saisakshi Ford Pune.

Since the price difference was huge between both diesel versions I went on to buying VFM car i.e. Figo TDCi

Its been 6 months affair and it has not let me down

Since Price is not a major issue for you then you can go ahead with your love at first sight mate.

Last edited by nilpat : 4th May 2016 at 20:09.
nilpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 15:05   #105
BHPian

Finally got engaged to the Red Hot German on 16th of September. Expecting to get married within a month
capslock is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed