Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2006, 09:50   #1

Guys I have two options in mind.

Wagon-r duo
Fiat palio 1.2/1.6 with LPG fitment.

Can u tell me if it advisable to convert Fiat 1.2/1.6 to LPG. What will be the drop in performance. Is it tolerable enough. Or is the duo a better option.
I am basically looking for good FE coupled with the performance of a Palio.
Is the warranty valid if LPG conversion is done for Palio and will it be a dual fuel car like the duo.

Thanx.
Old 25th September 2006, 07:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have heard that Fiat will be announcing its CNG/LPG policy soon. Maybe, you can check with the dealer on that.
Old 25th September 2006, 07:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

The wagon r duo and the palio have a world of difference in them. If you are even considering the palio then forget the wagon r. The palios are so much better in all respects. But the wagon r duo has a good quality kit and its aggressive tuning means minimal power loss.

Anyways with regards to converting to LPG, there will be a power drop. Buy a good quality kit from a RTO authorised fitment centre preferably the closed loop type kit. However, ensure that the fitment centre in your town is competent enough to service the closed loop kit as it relies on electronics and cannot be repaired/serviced by a roadside mechanic.

And take the palio 1.6, because even with the power loss, there will be more power available than your other choices (palio 1.2, wagon r duo).

Drifter
Old 25th September 2006, 11:14   #4

Yes Drifter palio 1.6 is what I had on mind.
Also whats ur opinion shall I buy a brand new Palio and get the Lpg fitting done or shall I go for a 2001-02 used model and get the Lpg fitting done and then upgrade to the soon to be launched new Palio which people say is round the corner.
Any idea about the new Palio whether it will be substantially differernt from the present version or will it be merely facelifted.
Old 25th September 2006, 12:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dhanan

If you want to install an LPG on a Palio, there is reason for buying a new car as the warranty may become void if you install the kit on a new car.

I got lpg kit installed on my Siena 1.2 (now sold). There was no drop in power but the engine was smoother when run on petrol. The mileage was 10% lesser than the mileage i got on petrol. One problem is i noticed is that the hose that connects from air filter to FI system got squeezed and service engineer found the fault with LPG kit. He mentioned that it's common with Fiats fitted with LPG kits. Anuroop, fiat dealer in Hyd also installs kits in Fiat cars. They use Minda kits.

I installed BRC kit from outside in Hyderabad. The installation was very good with no hint of gas smell etc to the passengers. Sadly my installor is no more alive. It costed me 21K without RTA fee. The intaller was a close friend to a fellow tbhp member and i got some discount.
Old 25th September 2006, 12:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

there can be no comaprison of the 2 cars quoted as they cater to 2 different kinds of people. fitting LPG to a new vehicle within its warranty is a personal choice, but i would not suggest you to do that on a new fiat. better option is to get an used one for 1.5-2.00 lakhs & get a RTO authorised kit & endorsement.
Old 26th September 2006, 13:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Buy a second hand palio and then fit the lpg kit. It doesnt make sense to go for a new one because you will have to wait till your car is out of warranty. And used palios are available pretty cheap. You will save a lot of money by going in for a second hand palio+lpg kit. The new palio is more of a facelift....along with new interiors i think.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 26th September 2006 at 13:22.
Old 26th September 2006, 22:39   #8

Thanks everybody for the replies. I think considering all the issues it is better for me to settle for a used Palio with Lpg fitment now, and upgrade maybe after an year or so, what with so many hatches in pipeline to be launched.
Satish I have enquired at Anuroop, they do the Lpg fitment on new Palios but warranty gets void, whereas Malik cars Banjara Hills offered me to fit Tata Lpg kit without invalidating the warranty.
Old 27th September 2006, 17:49   #9

Deepak I have checked with the dealer, as of now there is no Lpg/Cng kit available from fiat, but they may introduce in a couple of months. The dealer has assured me that I can buy the car now to avail the discount and as and when the Fiat kit is available they will fit it without invalidating the warranty.
Old 27th September 2006, 18:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

The drop in performance in the wagon r duo is substantial and if you are a performance freak you will hate it.Cant say anything about the palio but generally fitting lpg to a car does affect its performance.
Lpg fitting is not for people bothered about performance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks