Team-BHP - Replacement for my Tata Nano?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Replacement for my Tata Nano? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/174922-replacement-my-tata-nano-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 3976409)
The biggest disappointment was the Revotron Eco mode. In the short drive on the Thane Nashik route the Eco mode was dangerously inadequate for any kind of overtaking.

If you get the Tiago, then you could just ignore the eco mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 3976409)
The Nissan sales person called up yesterday to apologize and said there are a lot of walkins for the Redi-Go, so we are trying to set up a TD tomorow. In all probability if the Go doesn't work out, I might just go for the Nano again.

Just once point on the Redi-Go is that it has the same mechanicals as the Kwid. So if there is engine problems in the Kwid, then it would be the same for the Redi-Go (till they sort it out) but that said the motor is quite noisy anyways.

Somehow Redi-Go seems to be a cheaper version IMO of the Eon in terms of looks but then Eon is tried and tested and a better option with the 1.0l motor.

Not sure if this was covered earlier but the Alto800 is being relaunched with some minor facelifts. The only thing that goes with it is that its a Maruti and one cannot go wrong with it in terms of reliability.

Hmm. Even in the City mode with 3 people the Tiago felt a little sluggish.

That's great. Still you are thinking about Nano! I think face lifted Maruti 800 also appears to be a good replacement for Nano. But I still believe there is no replacement for Nanos. Only a new Nano can replace the older one.

^I think you meant Alto 800. Other than cabin space, Alto 800 is definitely a no-brainer. Especially the CNG variant, in case usage is more.

As far as I know, Tata has dropped Nano from their marketing strategy completely. They are pushing the newer technology and cars. Even Tata has come to terms that Nano is a lost battle.

Nano being my first car and have been using it since 4.5 years, I can definitely recommend Nano as a replacement for Nano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajn1702 (Post 3977463)
^I think you meant Alto 800. Other than cabin space, Alto 800 is definitely a no-brainer. Especially the CNG variant, in case usage is more.

As far as I know, Tata has dropped Nano from their marketing strategy completely. They are pushing the newer technology and cars. Even Tata has come to terms that Nano is a lost battle.

Nano being my first car and have been using it since 4.5 years, I can definitely recommend Nano as a replacement for Nano.

Not quite true. There was an advertisement for the Nano with a few offers like free insurance. This was quite small though. Of course the manufacturer will advertise new cars usually. Especially one which is very good such as the Tiago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajn1702 (Post 3977463)

Yes I mean Alto 800 got face lifted. I am using Nano since last 2 years and when I bought it I just took it as a gamble as the car was in trouble and might get discontinued anytime. I had a thought to scrap it if something goes wrong or it doesn't turn out to be reliable.

But after using this car I am sure that no matter sales are down then also the car wont get discontinued. To me its a wonder car. Very practical car and at this time also if someone buys it the risk is not much because the product is not going to disappoint you even if it gets discontinued. There is no issue of reliability at all.

Coming back to the main topic I am aware that there are better and bigger cars than Nano. But I m not sure whether they can really replace the Nano? Its true that Maruti Alto wont give same cabin space and for six footer person like me it really matters. I am really not that comfortable in Maruti.

I have many times thought to replace my Nano but my mind doesn't allow me neither my heart allows me to replace it. Its very practicle and reliable car and serving me well.

Quote:

Not quite true. There was an advertisement for the Nano with a few offers like free insurance
These offers are at a dealer level. I was referring to Tata as a manufacturer. It could be true given the fact that sales figures of the small wonder are not even 10% of the expected numbers by Tata.

Coming back to the topic of this thread, Honeybee, what have you decided to buy as Nano's replacement?

Nothing firm as yet.

The hot selling and new models such as the Tiago, the Kwid or the Redi-Go may not carry ANY discounts or offers. So negotiating even a 20k discount is tough. On the other hand, existing or old models such as the Nano may carry some attractive discounts or other offers which may be worth going in for. Case in point: The Nano has an exchange bonus of around 20k.

Putting it in perspective, the Honda dealer offered me a Brio SMT from Oct 2015 at around 5,40,000 ex showroom. This is a middle variant, and I guess he was taking a hit to the tune of 1L to get rid of the car. It still doesn't fit within the 5L cap I have to work with. But if it were a Nano, the deal would have been for peanuts. I have heard of cases where unsold Nanos of the 2011 and earlier batches were disposed off by dealers/Tata at throwaway prices. Imagine a five month old Nano sitting with a dealer - I could pick it up for much lesser than what I paid for my present Nano!

That's all market dynamics. The test drives of the Datsun Go and the GenX Nano are pending. The CarWale guy who had called me out of the blue also mentioned that the present CNG Nano may be discontinued, and a new GenX CNG avatar may come out in a few months' time.

So let's wait for a couple of more weeks :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 3978274)
The CarWale guy who had called me out of the blue also mentioned that the present CNG Nano may be discontinued, and a new GenX CNG avatar may come out in a few months' time.

That's true. Nano CNG is going to be discontinued - very soon. So if you're contemplating to book one, please do, as you may get good discounts on it.

Quote:

the Honda dealer offered me a Brio SMT from Oct 2015 at around 5,40,000 ex showroom
Price for a 8 months old 'new' car seems to be more than 'actually new' models? Price quoted could be on road.
Also, with approx 60 km daily running, a petrol car with not the best FE figures may hit your pockets IMHO.

Keeping in mind the recent developments about this:

1. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ive-noise.html)
2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3975704

I would recommend to stick with Tata if you have got a good TASS in your area.
Go with the Nano CNG (though you'd not get ePS)

Otherwise Maruti cars are anyways an option for you. Like Wagon R CNG.

That's some confusion filled days you've got honeybee. Looking at all those suggestions around, the only option I could think of was the Tiago or the Eon 1.0. Or again a Nano GenX.

My 2 cents of the cars I've driven a lot -

Wagon - R - Extremely poor low end torque, especially if you drive after a Nano which has pretty good low end response. For me, Nano has been a breeze in the city compared to the Wagon - R. But wagon-R retains many qualities of the Nano like high seating position, a good air-con and decent space.

Eon - I used to hate this car initially for it's lack of any unique character but the quality of the interiors has definitely put a huge smile. The 800cc is not so good to drive so try out the 1.0 L. The car is nimble enough to drive in the city and should fit your budget too.

New Nano - Definitely makes great sense if your only intention is city drive. I drive the Nano, Eon(800 cc) and Wagon-R 1.0 everyday and frankly speaking, I would prefer the Nano for any city drives over the other cars. I may not go like a rocket on the road but the extreme ease of driving, parking, turning and with a chiller AC and high seating, I keep choosing the Nano again and again. Highway is a different story.

One grouse I always kept feeling is of the refinement compared to the other cars. I recently upgraded my audio system and now I don't worry about refinement as the music silences everything around. Never thought a solution was so simple!

Hope you find your ideal mate soon! :)
Cheers

Honeybee, I am also a Nano owner who is thinking of changing the car. I have almost decided on the Nano GenX XTA, purely for our city runs, because I have another diesel Indigo I can use for longer trips. From owning a Nano and a bigger car, I can say from experience that you the Nano GenX AMT definitely isn't a 'complete' car. It's a smart city car, but not practical if you're planning on extended drives, or highway trips.

The Tiago is the best car in the market now in it's price range. I drove both the petrol and the diesel, and except for the sluggish response in Eco mode, and the vibes normal to a three cyl engine, could find no fault with it. But I was seriously tempted to upgrade to a 'proper car'.

Compared to the Nano, the Tiago is a giant leap in convenience, comfort, feel-good factor and performance. There is nothing that comes close to it in that price segment, in price, VFM or anything else, really. And it is still small and nimble enough to be convenient in the city traffic.

If you know a reliable ASC or good outside garage (I am lucky to have both), then you know that Tata service isn't always the demon it is made out to be. For you, I can't recommend anything else.

The only reason I haven't decided on the Tiago is because I'm planning to upgrade from the IndigoCS as well, and I want to wait till the Kite S/Sway sedan is launched.

As mentioned earlier, I have a sedan for outstation trips with family. The new car will be driven solo for almost all the time.

Occasionally there are times my colleagues may travel along or my family will tag along. But these are purely occasional and would last an hour at a time most.

Again, being able to get in and out, from all seats, would matter, so low roof cars such as Alto are out.

From supreme convenience point of view, the car must be small enough to get into gaps and parked in tight spots.

I am not looking for a car for cities and highways both - though my experience with the Nano shows it can do both with equal ease.

The Renault sales person will be visiting tomorrow with the Datsun Go. Post that I have only the Nano GenX to check out before finalising the chosen one.

No updates on the thread?

Yesterday I got a chance to test ride my friend's new i10 Grand CNG and I must say I really became very happy after the ride because I am more comfortable in my Nano!

The person mentioned above was in a similar situation with 5 Lakhs budget for new car and he was replacing his Palio (Petrol). He ended up in buying i10 Grand and fitting it with CNG. got some 80 K for his very nicely single owned 2008 petrol Palio!

What was surprising was that he was totally ignorant about Nano and he didn't even consider it, whereas he told me that he was actually looking for a small car with less parking place and good fuel economy. When I asked him why didn't he consider Nano he told me that "he heard that Nano can't run for longer distances and it stops in between and all! The person who says this is a qualified Engineer :Frustrati

Coming back to the topic I guess Bolt is really great option as I visited Tata Showroom myself looking for Zest Petrol and I was offered Bolt petrol 2015 car with Rs 50 K discount and that time I realised what GTO had written here in earlier posts was actually happening! I am sure you can get upto Rs 1 Lakh discount if you are ready to buy 2014 car from stock in Showroom which you can easily find out. That can land up around 5.5 L on road I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 3982595)
As mentioned earlier, I have a sedan for outstation trips with family. The new car will be driven solo for almost all the time....The Renault sales person will be visiting tomorrow with the Datsun Go. Post that I have only the Nano GenX to check out before finalising the chosen one.

Hi honeybee, any updates on this?

Looking at your requirements, nothing but the Nano fits your bill. The GenX Nano is much improved, and the AMT is definitely a plus in the city. It also comes with a 5 speed box and has the creep function. I had a small test drive in it and it's quite good.

From your posts, it is clear that the new Nano is what you want, and it really seems to be also all the car you need. If you need to change your Nano now, go ahead and replace it with a GenX Nano.

I have put off my upgrade of our Nano for two reasons. One, our Nano has covered barely 18K kms in three years, and has no isues at all, but our Indigo has crossed 70K, and we need to replace it. The Indigo is sold, and the replacement is being decided upon. Two, the Pelican, which is a substantial upgrade to the Nano, is being tested now. I can think of nothing better to replace the Nano than a Nano with a smoother, more powerful engine, better handling and better interiors. The exterior dimensions are perfect for city use, and the interior space is awesome.

So all you really need to decide is, do you need to change your Nano now, or wait a bit to see what the Pelican is like?