Team-BHP - Replacement for my Tata Nano?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Replacement for my Tata Nano? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/174922-replacement-my-tata-nano-6.html)

Thanks for the replies.

There are two major constraints that I cannot overlook: the car must be new and the on road price must not be above 5 L.

I have already ruled out the other contenders such as the Kwid, as their feature rich variants are touching 5L on road and the Nano makes a very strong economic case against them.

Used cars are out as well, so no used Revas or other cars.

It will have to be a CNG or a Twist/GenX Nano.

I am using the LX Nano for the past four years and the odo is nearing 70k now. Power steering has never been a required feature so far.

The only concern with CNG is the frequency of refill and the time for each refill. I can live with everything else. However I certainly don't have time to spend a couple of hours every three days to fill CNG.

Of course when the CNG runs out one still has the petrol to run, so it won't exactly be a trip to the pump every 3 days. But the difficulty in filling CNG may end up the car running on petrol alone.

By the way, the 2015 piece I saw was labeled Twist, but the sales guy said it was a GenX model. What's the difference?

That's a great decision :thumbs up Though CNG Nano makes a sense in terms of economy but I think if I was in your place I would have gone for the latest petrol version manual. I mean I am really excited with the open able hatch feature. Rest I don't need to say much as you have driven more of Nano than I have driven it. By the way have you gone through Datsun redi-go? What is the reason if you haven't considered it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4036854)
Thanks for the replies.

There are two major constraints that I cannot overlook: the car must be new and the on road price must not be above 5 L.

I have already ruled out the other contenders such as the Kwid, as their feature rich variants are touching 5L on road and the Nano makes a very strong economic case against them.

Used cars are out as well, so no used Revas or other cars.

I am using the LX Nano for the past four years and the odo is nearing 70k now. Power steering has never been a required feature so far.

The only concern with CNG is the frequency of refill and the time for each refill. I can live with everything else. However I certainly don't have time to spend a couple of hours every three days to fill CNG.

Of course when the CNG runs out one still has the petrol to run, so it won't exactly be a trip to the pump every 3 days. But the difficulty in filling CNG may end up the car running on petrol alone.

By the way, the 2015 piece I saw was labeled Twist, but the sales guy said it was a GenX model. What's the difference?

1. It hardly takes 15-20 mins to enter, fill CNG and exit (at least where I fill in Thane)
2. As many have mentioned, you can probably stick with New Nano
CNG or GenX will depend on the economic benefits. Just forget about other products.
For example, monthly running is more than CNG makes sense
Else stick to petrol which gives you additional bells and whistles in the car.

OR Buy the CNG Nano, which I guess comes bare-bones and fit aftermarket accessories to make it as close as GenX.

All you need to do is check which of these 2 options makes more sense, economically.

Feature wise, the CNG lacks front fogs, power steering, front power windows, music system with four speakers, openable hatch.

Except the power steering and openable hatch, everything could be added, and I am not very keen on power steering or power windows. They are convenient but not essential.

I did not evaluate the Redi Go, but going by my test drive of Go, it will be more bare bones than the CNG Nano. The Nano looks miles ahead of the Go in terms of fit and finish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4037191)
Feature wise, the CNG lacks front fogs, power steering, front power windows, music system with four speakers, openable hatch.

Except the power steering and openable hatch, everything could be added, and I am not very keen on power steering or power windows. They are convenient but not essential.

I did not evaluate the Redi Go, but going by my test drive of Go, it will be more bare bones than the CNG Nano. The Nano looks miles ahead of the Go in terms of fit and finish.

Sir, you might want to check out the 1.0 Kwid launched at 3.82 lacs(ex-showroom) today.

What's the price with AC, power steering and front power windows?

If the 800cc Kwid with these features is above 4L, the 1.0 Kwid will be above 5L easily. Plus not readily available!

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4036854)

GenX model looks totally different, has different bumpers and steering wheel.
CNG Nano only comes in one variant AFAIK.

Alto K10 fits in your budget and would be an upgrade in terms of engine, but a big downgrade on space for entire family.

The perfect upgrade for you would be Nano 3 cyl ,but no one knows when it will be launched.

Hi everyone,

Current car: Nano LX (2009)
Budget for new car: 6 lakhs OTR
Purchasing in: a month or two.
Driven by: self (26 yrs guy)
Monthly travel: Maximum of 500km
Transmission: Manual

Essential features sought:
1. Good mileage

2. Good traffic driveability- good pickup up to 60kmph. Not sluggish like present gen WagonR. Comfortable Highway cruising around 120kmph.

3. Hassle free maintenance & reliability

4. Good passenger comfort
Will be taking my parents out, good passenger leg space would be great.

5. Decent NVH levels and ride comfort
Not too picky. But the car should be confidence inspiring around the bends. Mostly city use with maybe occasional highway use.

6. Function over form
Looks don't matter as much as performance.

Having extensively driven Nano and 2014 model WagonR, I would love a car with space and comfort of WagonR with pickup like Nano. More power would be great.

Any inputs on good deals in Bangalore, either due to GST or otherwise would be greatly appreciated. I would be exchanging my aging Nano while getting the new car. So info on how much value I should get for it would be helpful.

What would be the best time to buy the car? I think I can wait till September '17.

PS: I did try to open a second thread since this one deals about cars under 5 laksh OTR and I am open up to 6 lakhs OTR. Please advise.

Thanks,
Gautham

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas (Post 4214797)
6. Function over form
Looks don't matter as much as performance.

I think what you mean by that is that no matter what, the car ought to remain practical right? I own a WagonR and honestly I find it to be decently peppy within the city, certainly does fine upto 60kph. Drove a relative's Nano for a couple of weeks and found that to be way more sluggish so perhaps you ought to change your driving style? Maybe you're shifting up too early or something like that? Anyway, my recommendation would be the Nissan Micra. It is no performance hatchback but because it isn't too wide, it benefits from a relatively narrow footprint which makes the car a breeze to drive in the city and pretty well mannered on the highway too. The ride quality is good and space on the inside is pretty decent as well. Build is consistent in the Japanese manner and the car feels pretty well put together. One of my friends owns a first gen Micra and even today her car feels tight and has never given any problems over all these years. I find it to be the ultimate city hatchback today. Although the engine does lack a bit of poke, it is easy to drive and just needs a stern right foot ;) I'd say the Micra is more fun and safer than an i10 Grand, but more practical than a Swift :thumbs up

Do please check it out. They have several variants including a basic 'active' variant. Pick whichever suits your needs and budget and remember that they have just or are just about to launch a facelifted version so you should be able to start calling dealers near you and haggle a good discount on any of their current stock.

There is still no replacement for a Nano in the application it is best suited for: congested inner city use.

Get a different car by all means, but none will do all that a Nano does, as well as the Nano.

Thanks for the suggestion, IshaanIan!

I do like the Micra but have heard unflattering things about the ASS. I will check out the ASS in Bangalore and read up on reviews of Micra. Then go for a TD with parents to see if it is a good match. Btw, Micra MT comes only in Diesel. Petrol has only AT. Micra Activ is a better match, even price wise. Will look into it.

I have driven older variants of WagonR, like 2005 model, which I found to be peppy. The new WagonR (2014) model felt really underpowered till it hit RPM over 2200. The Nano on the other hand, felt much quicker with single passenger onboard. I did have a heavy foot with both the cars though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 4214992)
I think what you mean by that is that no matter what, the car ought to remain practical right? I own a WagonR and honestly I find it to be decently peppy within the city, certainly does fine upto 60kph. Drove a relative's Nano for a couple of weeks and found that to be way more sluggish so perhaps you ought to change your driving style? Maybe you're shifting up too early or something like that? Anyway, my recommendation would be the Nissan Micra. It is no performance hatchback but because it isn't too wide, it benefits from a relatively narrow footprint which makes the car a breeze to drive in the city and pretty well mannered on the highway too. The ride quality is good and space on the inside is pretty decent as well. Build is consistent in the Japanese manner and the car feels pretty well put together. One of my friends owns a first gen Micra and even today her car feels tight and has never given any problems over all these years. I find it to be the ultimate city hatchback today. Although the engine does lack a bit of poke, it is easy to drive and just needs a stern right foot ;) I'd say the Micra is more fun and safer than an i10 Grand, but more practical than a Swift :thumbs up

Do please check it out. They have several variants including a basic 'active' variant. Pick whichever suits your needs and budget and remember that they have just or are just about to launch a facelifted version so you should be able to start calling dealers near you and haggle a good discount on any of their current stock.

I certainly know the truth of it!

Small car from outside, big car on the inside. Great to zip about in city traffic. I had a mind to swap the old one for a new GenX MT. But parents insist on a bigger car since Nano is not very comfortable for drives over an hour. The stiff/hard suspension and Spartan cabin is okay for in-city travel but can get uncomfortable on the long drives.

If I could afford to maintain two cars, I'd definitely opt for Nano as the city car and a bigger car for the long drives. But alas, it is not to be and have to choose a single car.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 4214996)
There is still no replacement for a Nano in the application it is best suited for: congested inner city use.

Get a different car by all means, but none will do all that a Nano does, as well as the Nano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 4214996)

Honestly, while in theory your statement seems good, in practice I just don't find that to be true. The visibility one gets out of a Nano is not the best. For example, the Jazz with is larger footprint is easier to place because of how easy it is for one to judge the corners of the car in the Jazz. Also, while I admit that many might find this view of mine to be controversial, the Nano feels severely lacking to me as a 21st century car. I had the opportunity to drive a relative's Nano for a coupe of weeks and I found it to be vague in terms of ride, handling, gearbox action, steering, braking etc. The lethargy with which it picked up speed meant that overtakes had to be extremely well planned in advance, the poor braking ability and disconcerting view out of the car meant that I did not have the confidence to zip around in traffic either. The puny little wheels meant that I was never confident piloting the car through rough parts (rim bent while passing an undulation that has never caused any issues in the past on my bike or any of my cars). When stuck in a traffic jam, the car doesn't seem to cosset you as much as the seat begins to feel inadequate and the NVH levels force you to blast music at high volumes. Anyway that was just my personal experience with the car and whenever I am going through the city I usually use my WagonR and to be very honest, I have never been overtaken by a Nano in traffic. Not bragging, just an observation. I have been overtaken by other cars but never a Nano despite its 'ideal' proportions. Perhaps that is down to the large demographic of learners that tend to flock towards the Nano or due to the reasons I stated above in regards to my experience with the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas (Post 4215031)
I do like the Micra but have heard unflattering things about the ASS. I will check out the ASS in Bangalore and read up on reviews of Micra. Then go for a TD with parents to see if it is a good match. Btw, Micra MT comes only in Diesel. Petrol has only AT. Micra Activ is a better match, even price wise. Will look into it.

Use authorized service center only for the free services and warranty claims if it isn't that great. Any competent independent garage should be able to service your car easily. At the end of the day, company A.S.S. aside, the Micra is a Japanese car afterall so parts will always remain easy to procure and reliability is through the roof as usual :D As someone who owns a Maruti, I can tell you that I only know of only one authorized service center that I like in Bangalore and only one in Hyderabad. Just because of the vast spread of dealers and service centers, I don't think the quality of A.S.S. is any better than even the worst of manufacturers. That way only Toyota truly excels. In my experience, everyone else is kinda the same. Oh and that might be true of the facelifted new facelifted Micra but there are manual petrol variants atleast in the old one. Just call the dealer and check out all the prefacelift cars they already have in stock. I'm sure you will be able to find a manual petrol and be able to get a sweet discount on it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas (Post 4215031)
I have driven older variants of WagonR, like 2005 model, which I found to be peppy. The new WagonR (2014) model felt really underpowered till it hit RPM over 2200. The Nano on the other hand, felt much quicker with single passenger onboard. I did have a heavy foot with both the cars though.

Ah okay I guess I understand the K-series motors are nothing like the older gen motors that they replace in the entire Suzuki lineup. That said, I usually keep all these small cars on the boil all the time so I only see 2200 rpm at traffic lights or in traffic jams :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 4215100)
overtakes had to be extremely well planned in advance, the poor braking ability

None of this or the many other things that follow come into play in congested city traffic where U turns, easy parking ability and the like are priorities. For any other application I have another car. I am lucky that I can do a horses for courses thing with enough parking place at home.
And in congested city traffic, I have zero interest in overtaking other cars, but I do that often because they are too wide to follow me. I am also quite good at using the manual stick shift.

I have a 2011 Nano LX which i am planning to sell. My current options are Kwid 1.0 RXT or Tiago XM. But i have not yet initiated the actual process, so i may add some other cars to check out once i start the process. And like HoneyBee, i too don't want to spend much on the replacement car.

I contemplated going for the new Nano but the news about a month back that Tata's may discontinue Nano is stopping me. Plus i had a pretty bad experience with the Tata Service Center where the Nano was stuck with them for close to 2 and half weeks for brakes replacement and starter switch (both part which were apparent not available!)

That said, i still think the Nano is one of the best city-only car. It may take a while to get used to it's driving dynamics, but once one is used to it, it is brilliant in the city. I'll be frank, the first time i drove the Nano (my sister's Nano which i used for a week), i was not that impressed. I struggled a bit to drive it properly. But once we got a Nano for my wife, and i started understanding how the engine, gears and brakes work, it has been a pleasure to drive. Yes, the seat are not comfortable for long drives; yes, the clutch can be hard on the foot. The Nano is not perfect. No car is. But for the average city commuter, I think it is a fantastic car for its space (small on the outside, big on the inside), traffic and parking chuck-ability, and mileage. (Note, I drive an i10 so my initial reservations were since i was directly comparing the Nano with the i10, which i was already used to and very comfortable with.)