Team-BHP - Hatchback vs Compact SUV
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Hatchback vs Compact SUV (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/174994-hatchback-vs-compact-suv-8.html)

Guys I have booked a figo tdci titanium two weeks ago with promised delivery around Diwali. I would have loved to go for the ecosport if I had the budget. Now when the nexon is out, I am facing a dilemma to stick to the figo titanium diesel or cancel the booking and go for the nexon xe diesel.

I have been using a figo diesel 2010 and I love it. I am an old school regarding the design and electronics in a car. The current version of the figo though light in build will offer punchier engine and more creature comforts.

I haven't test driven the nexon yet, but it does look bold and spacious. The xe will lose on some basic features though. Also, the service and reliability experience with tata has been very poor with our 2003 indica v2. Hope it's fine now.

The ex showroom price of the figo is around 6.7 lacs and for the nexon it's 7 lacs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 4279086)
Guys I have booked a figo tdci titanium two weeks ago with promised delivery around Diwali.

The XE model is quite barebones so you should check the basic features thoroughly.
Secondly, could you please explain the major reliability issues in your Indica? (Not the service related part)

Best,
Sanket.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Quote:

Originally Posted by navdeep.rana (Post 4163471)

The reason that compact SUV's are getting so popular in India is the same why compact sedans are selling so much. People in India have an ego to fulfil while buying a car and I have seen most of people saying why buy spend 7-8 lacs on a hatchback when you can have a compact SUV for few more. But a hatchback offers better ride quality over a compact SUV with more features for lesser price.

There's another reason I posted on another thread and posting it here again.
This is what happens in our cities during monsoons. An additional 30mm ground clearance is more than welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsanket (Post 4279273)
The XE model is quite barebones so you should check the basic features thoroughly.
Secondly, could you please explain the major reliability issues in your Indica? ]

The xe nexon gets Airbags, abs, front power windows and central locking. No fog lamps, rear power windows, rear wipers, music system, remote locking etc.

Major issues with the indica were, screeching fan belt, abnormal wear of front rotors and brake pads, early failureof front suspension and swing arms, power steering pump leakage, Ac not working after 20k kms, glow plug issues which left us stranded for 4-5 times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 4279339)
No fog lamps, rear power windows, rear wipers, music system, remote locking etc.

The XM is 50k more, what you get for that is ICE along with steering mounted audio controls, along with host of other features. If you can stretch till XM go for it, else stick to the Figo. If you want a larger car, check out the Aspire.

Hi all,

I was planning to upgrade my 2010 i10 Sportz and was almost sure about buying a Crossover. I shortlisted to Creta when the thought of whether buying a feature loaded hatchback at a lower price-point would make better sense kicked in.

Now, I haven't done much research on the latest hatchbacks but my usage and requirements are as follows:
Please let me know which would be a good hatchback that can match my usage and requirements.

TIA

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeetSC (Post 4413675)
I was planning to upgrade my 2010 i10 Sportz and was almost sure about buying a Crossover. I shortlisted to Creta when the thought of whether buying a feature loaded hatchback at a lower price-point would make better sense kicked in.

Ford freestyle diesel, Hyundai i20 diesel, Baleno petrol and the Honda Amaze Diesel CVT seem the best fit for your criteria. Since you had earlier considered a crossover you should take a look at the Tata Nexon, Brezza and EcoSport as they are very competent cars and only a 2 lakh more expensive then an equivalent i20 or amaze. Seating 5 passengers and adequate boot space is something that almost all cars in this segment will find it hard to match except the Etios (dated) still the amaze has good overall space and should be the best in this segment. You need to test drive all these cars with your specific criteria in mind and then take a decision. You can't go wrong with any of these cars so buy the one which appeals to you the most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeetSC (Post 4413675)
  • Approx. 35 km daily commute.

Such long commutes requires both diesel, and assuming the commute is in city, that too Bangalore, an automatic. There are very few diesel automatics in the segment. Since you are living in Bangalore, you could also save quite a few bucks on tax by going for a car under 10 lakhs ex showroom.

On top of my mind is Honda Amaze V CVT diesel. Honda has priced the car well too. The CVT has received good reviews too

The second option I would pick is Vitara Brezza AMT. The car is priced well, has a decent AMT, and gets you a pretty competent compact SUV.

The third option would be Tata Nexon XZA+ diesel. This car costs more than 10 lakhs, but has the features and funky looks going for it. There are some offers ongoing too which should sweeten the deal further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyotaFan (Post 4413747)
Ford freestyle diesel, Hyundai i20 diesel, Baleno petrol and the Honda Amaze Diesel CVT seem the best fit for your criteria. Since you had earlier considered a crossover you should take a look at the Tata Nexon, Brezza and EcoSport as they are very competent cars and only a 2 lakh more expensive then an equivalent i20 or amaze. Seating 5 passengers and adequate boot space is something that almost all cars in this segment will find it hard to match except the Etios (dated) still the amaze has good overall space and should be the best in this segment. You need to test drive all these cars with your specific criteria in mind and then take a decision. You can't go wrong with any of these cars so buy the one which appeals to you the most.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to stay away from Maruti, Tata as I don't trust the brand nor their service. I will try test driving Ford Freestyle, Hyundai i20, Honda Amaze, Ford Ecosport and probably decide based on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autorahul (Post 4413852)
Such long commutes requires both diesel, and assuming the commute is in city, that too Bangalore, an automatic. There are very few diesel automatics in the segment. Since you are living in Bangalore, you could also save quite a few bucks on tax by going for a car under 10 lakhs ex showroom.

On top of my mind is Honda Amaze V CVT diesel. Honda has priced the car well too. The CVT has received good reviews too

The second option I would pick is Vitara Brezza AMT. The car is priced well, has a decent AMT, and gets you a pretty competent compact SUV.

The third option would be Tata Nexon XZA+ diesel. This car costs more than 10 lakhs, but has the features and funky looks going for it. There are some offers ongoing too which should sweeten the deal further.

Just to clarify, 35 kms is the total and NOT one-side. Do you still think a Diesel is necessary? Also, I have never been keen on Automatics but have been recently getting a lot of advice to go for the Automatic. Even though I don't mind driving an Automatic in the city, I am concerned about my experience on highways, overtaking capabilities, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeetSC (Post 4414006)
Just to clarify, 35 kms is the total and NOT one-side. Do you still think a Diesel is necessary?

While I also prefer a petrol over diesel in most scenarios, your situation is in a grey area.

35 km daily, translates to roughly 1000 km a month, along with couple of long drives which I am assuming to be around 200 km each totals to roughly 1400 km a month.

A diesel car in this sort of running would save you about 2000-2500 per month.

What needs to be checked is the EMI difference between comparable Petrol AT and Diesel AT. Lets take Baleno Zeta(P) CVT and Amaze V(D) CVT in our comparison. In this the EMI difference should also be around 2200-2400 per month, hence the gray area.

You may consider Baleno Alpha CVT, which seems to be the only top end petrol automatic on sale which also fulfills all your requirements. The overtakes are not a problem as power is sufficient, unless you redline the engine.

Another option worth looking at if you don't want Maruti, is i20 Asta CVT. Keep in mind though, Hyundai services costs have been going up and Asta is not the top of the line variant. Also, i20 while ok in space, is no where close to what Baleno offers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 4279086)

I have been using a figo diesel 2010 and I love it. I am an old school regarding the design and electronics in a car. The current version of the figo though light in build will offer punchier engine and more creature comforts. .

I upgraded to WRV -D from Figo 2010-D and loving it.

Compact SUVs are a popular category of cars in India, with a lot of success reflected in the sales figures.

Maruti Brezza, TATA Nexon, Ford Ecosport and now the XUV 300 and the Hyundai Venue - the segment is getting populated day by day and each of these sub 4 m compact SUVs (so called) have something good to offer to Indian customers for whom SUV's bring a sense of "having arrived" feeling more than anything else.

The question which comes to my mind, are these compact SUVs really SUVs in the true sense or they are just bloated hatchbacks sold over a premium over regular hatchbacks and thus are the car manufacturers guilty of taking customers for a ride ?

Consider this:

- Compact SUVs don't offer off road capability like the regular SUVs
- Compact SUVs offer more or less similar interior space as a compact sedan
- Compact SUVs are sold at a premium price point over regular hatchbacks

Aren't the compact SUVs basically hatchbacks with raised ground clearance and bigger tires ? They why sell them at so much premium compared to hatchbacks - just because the Indian mentality of the status of owning an (pseudo)SUV ?

People like the bigger (physically on outside) and raised forms. Its not just Indian thing. If we look at compact hatchback segment, that is where most sales happen and the pseudo SUVs have to be in that category for people to afford them. In developed countries, its the mid-size pseudo SUVs.

For me, the ground clearance is a advantage on our roads to. Since they drive like,feel like hatchbacks on inside, its a good thing. I don't own any though!

I have long been a proponent of various types of SUV's.

Yes, to some extent, my actual lifestyle in the late nineties and in the first decade of the new millennium, Intersected to quite an appreciable level with my base aspirational lifestyle at the time. Hence the need for a spacious and roomy powerful large SUV.

However in the early years of this second decade of the new millennium, I very quickly learned that Big is neither Beautiful nor practical - especially in traffic heavy, space starved, parking pained cities like ours.

Even more so especially when one is of a very small family group and who never ever carries more than 4 passengers and no luggage OR only 2'passengers with normal luxuries and more luggage.

So in the early years of this second decade of the millennium - enter the Clever, Spacious, Versatile, Functional, Safe, classy CrossOver.

Worked for me brilliantly as the primary single vehicle which was used as a daily driver and general all rounder vehicle for most of this decade.

Now with the imminent advent of the third decade of this new millennium, I have realised more and more, that the troubles and challenges of increased traffic, reduced space, paucity of parking and the clear and demonstrated need to actually accommodate only one person 95% of the time and 2'persons in the remaining 5% , and hence I have unequivocally decided to move very quickly to a small, compact, luxe hatchback car.

One might fancifully liken this glacial movement of mine, to a few steps being made in each new decade, towards reducing my overall footprint...but I have no illusions about that.

I state clearly here that this movement towards smaller vehicles is prompted by Clarity of thought, Passion for certain vehicle types and the simple dictates of Practicality and Common Sense.

I did it. On 28th November around 12 noon. Moved BANG from a Compact SUV/ Loaded 4 seater MT CrossOver (Yeti) to a small Luxe 2 seater AT Sports hatch (MINI).

I moved as is usual in my case, in terms of vehicle type, in the exact opposite direction to the vast majority of people.

Am not saying that I am some kind of pioneer or super evolved being or anything.

I just think that I am able to recognise and am willing to act upon my changing need and want state in terms of executing quite quickly, but taking the step only after significant due consideration.

Always from the standpoint of clarity of thought, love for certain types of vehicles and of course, pure practicality and common sense, in a rapidly changing world.