Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 10:49   #1
BHPian

Hatchback vs Compact SUV

Which diesel car?
Presently I own an Esteem CNG (1L odo), a petrol M800 and a Classic 350.
I am happy with my Classic 350 for daily commuting. The running cost is similar to my CNG esteem and love the time I save in Delhi- Gurgaon B2B traffic.
I ride safe and ensure I am always protected with a good ECE/DOT helmet, Body armour, boots and knee pads, even in the summers.
However, looking ahead, commuting on a bike has its own risks and I will definitely need a car in the near future as the family extends and I try to find a balance between riding and driving.

The options I am looking at:
1. Retain and maintain my present esteem and run it for 1L more. The maintenance costs are getting high with regular part failures like wiper links, coolant carrying hoses, etc. I don't know how much more can I expect from an engine which has run over 1 L kms and on CNG from the beginning.

2. Buy a new diesel hatchback
3. Buy a new diesel compact SUV

Options I am looking at:
1. Figo Diesel (6L)
2. Brezza (8.3 L)
3. TUV 300 (8.5 L)

I have driven Brezza and TUV both and absolutely loved them.

Brezza: Loved the refinement and 1.3 L diesel kick post 2K rpm. Car like handling

TUV: Feels like a proper SUV with a lot of body roll, high seating, vibrating engine and a lot of low end torque.

I am a very sedate driver and love low end torque and hate revving the engine. I am sure if I drive a Figo, I will love the 1.5L Diesel engine.

I am trying to choose between a good SUV type seating, space AND a low priced diesel hatchback.

Please suggest if plonking 3L extra on a compact SUV makes sense? I hated Kuv and already am coming from a car with a very low seating. I absolutely loved the TUV. ABS & EBD is a must.

Please suggest? I am open to other options also. Will maintenance costs be an issue in TUV compare to a Brezza and Figo? How much can a 1.5 L diesel of Mahindra last with regular servicing?
sudeep11787 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 11:48   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hatchback vs Compact SUV

Excellent question, and very relevant in today's time.

In terms of practicality & functionality, a FWD compact SUV (Vitara Brezza, EcoSport etc.) offers nothing over a hatchback. Their ground clearance is more, yes, but most hatchbacks in the market do have adequate ground clearance for 99% of the terrain they're going to see in their lifetime.

The main reason for the popularity of compact SUVs is style & the higher seating position. You got to gauge just how much these matter to you. I'll be the first to say that looks are important; it's definitely one of the topmost priorities when I'm buying a car for myself.

Would I buy a compact SUV over a hatchback? Would I buy a Vitara Brezza ZDi+ over the Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi (O)? Fat chance! I'd pick the Elite i20 any day, any time. Better quality, engine, seats etc. Equally, I'd buy the Ford EcoSport over the Figo. Not because it's a compact SUV, but because the EcoSport is a far superior product to the Figo. My point: Choose based on product competence, not because it's a taller vehicle parading as an SUV.

The TUV300 is a great attempt by Mahindra. However, it has 2 deal-breakers - the 3-cylinder diesel (no power, vibrations) and bouncy ride quality. It won't ever be as stress-free to own as a Maruti, Hyundai etc. either. Look up the official review and you'll see many reports of niggles by owners. Best to buy a Mahindra 2 years after the launch as niggles are ironed out by then.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2016 at 12:04.
GTO is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

I believe you should add the convenience of automatic in your equation as well, especially if the car is going to be kept long term, and will be used city.

Currently, only TUV is a small SUV with diesel auto. Breeza doesn't have an auto yet (though I expect it to get it later, similar to dezire AGS), and ecosport has auto only in petrol.

In your options, definitely add the ford ecosport, and i20 (as suggested by GTO). In the budget of 8L for a diesel hatch, a good number of cars are available now.

I am personally waiting for diesel automatic in either breeza, or ecosport, or Etios Liva.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 14:22   #4
BHPian

sudeep11787 , i suggest going in for a automatic diesel whichever you opt for. I travel on the Delhi - Gurgaon , infact , from Akshardham to Gurgaon for my daily office commute in which is almost 35 kms one side. In peak hours it almost takes me more than 2 hours to reach the destination. I am using the Swift Vdi and changing gears on it has really taken a toll on my tiredness level. So , i am now looking for a automatic diesel and would suggest you the same . Instead of buying a manual diesel and then realizing the need for an automatic , go for the automatic .
RaSing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 15:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

One of the biggest advantage of a Compact SUVs is much larger boot space. You can pack in as much stuff as a sedan. Because of this, compact SUVs are more suitable for long highway drives with a family of four.

Go for a hatchback like Figo only if you intend to drive mostly in the city, and for an occasional weekend drive.

However, note that some hatchbacks like Honda Jazz and Suzuki Baleno have decent sized boots.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 15:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent question, and very relevant in today's time.

In terms of practicality & functionality, a FWD compact SUV (Vitara Brezza, EcoSport etc.) offers nothing over a hatchback. Their ground clearance is more, yes, but most hatchbacks in the market do have adequate ground clearance for 99% of the terrain they're going to see in their lifetime.
I completely agree. The vibrations in TUV were a lot as compared to the 4cyl Brezza. It could be felt in the clutch pedal also. And yes, during acceleration and deceleration the body roll is quite a lot. For sure one cannot drive a TUV aggressively.
I don't know if it's psychological but in the cars with high seating, i feel relatively less stressed after a long drive. Due to budget constraints, going over 8L will be quite hard. I think I should try living with a compact SUV and diesel hatchback for a week and then decide. Maybe It's just a drastic change from a low slung petrol sedan which feels so appealing initially. I will test drive an i20 as well.Thanks GTO ! A great help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I believe you should add the convenience of automatic in your equation as well, especially if the car is going to be kept long term, and will be used city.

I am personally waiting for diesel automatic in either breeza, or ecosport, or Etios Liva.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
sudeep11787 , i suggest going in for a automatic diesel whichever you opt for. I travel on the Delhi - Gurgaon , infact , from Akshardham to Gurgaon for my daily office commute in which is almost 35 kms one side. So , i am now looking for a automatic diesel and would suggest you the same . Instead of buying a manual diesel and then realizing the need for an automatic , go for the automatic .
Which hatchback has an over 1L diesel engine with automatic transmission? Due to budget constraints I wont be able to go over 7/8L max. Also, If possible do we have an existing thread on different types/sub categories of Automatic Transmissions and which type is superior to others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
One of the biggest advantage of a Compact SUVs is much larger boot space. You can pack in as much stuff as a sedan. Because of this, compact SUVs are more suitable for long highway drives with a family of four.

Go for a hatchback like Figo only if you intend to drive mostly in the city, and for an occasional weekend drive.

However, note that some hatchbacks like Honda Jazz and Suzuki Baleno have decent sized boots.
Thanks ! Yeah, my driving will be limited to 80% city all the time. I am not looking at Baleno coz I have driven a petrol and diesel swift a lot. I don't know how different and exciting it will be for me. Ultimately, going to work in something you love driving/riding is fun. It's an incentive you look forward to every day. I love my daily commutes because of my classic 350.
Work is no longer Work !
sudeep11787 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 16:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Which hatchback has an over 1L diesel engine with automatic transmission? Due to budget constraints I wont be able to go over 7/8L max. Also, If possible do we have an existing thread on different types/sub categories of Automatic Transmissions and which type is superior to others?
Well, not quite a hatchback or a CSUV, but the Zest XMA Diesel Automatic does fall inside the budget constraints.

You can get a full list of AT options below 10lac here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/167755-automatics-under-10-lakh-otr-comprehensive-guide-now-baleno-ertiga.html
antz.bin is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 16:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post

To be honest, i have just started the process of looking out for an automatic. Till now, i just googled and found a few automatic diesels which may be or may not be a hatchback and in your budget. These are the Vento 1.5TDI AT, Rapid, Swift Dzire, Zest . I was just calculating the cost of keeping a petrol AT vs a diesel compared to the high prices of diesel ATs. One option is Baleno. People here can help us with some more suggestions on the Budget Diesel Automatics

It depends on your run too. How much kms do you intend to do daily
RaSing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 10:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Till now, i just googled and found a few automatic diesels which may be or may not be a hatchback and in your budget. These are the Vento 1.5TDI AT, Rapid, Swift Dzire, Zest .

It depends on your run too. How much kms do you intend to do daily
At least 60 kms a day definitely and weekend rides will add 600-700 kms a month for sure. I will check out dzire and zest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

You can get a full list of AT options below 10lac here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...no-ertiga.html
If only we had a Figo diesel in Automatic. I am getting really excited by the 1.5L D in Figo at an unmatched price point. There was a comparison on youtube between figo D, Swift, bolt and i10 grande (All diesels). In terms of power, in gear acceleration Figo is a beast in itself for the price it is offered at.
Old 15th April 2016, 10:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The only diesel automatics close to your budget would be the Zest and Dzire AMT's. I assume you will not want the Dzire. Zest is worth a look but honestly I would consider the AMT only if an AT is a key requirement which is not the case for you.

If you can up the budget to ~10L, the VW Ameo Diesel DSG coming in June-July would be the best option for a diesel AT. If upping the budget is not an option, then would suggest dropping the idea of looking for Diesel AT's. Since you are looking at the Figo, would be worthwhile to have a look at the Polo also. Having driven a car like the Esteem, in the long run, I feel the TUV may not satisfy you from a performance and handling perspective.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 15th April 2016 at 10:45.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 10:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

First thing first, I don't understand this hoopla about cross over/s. A car is rather a sedan or a hatch and a SUV. These are a compromise and very frankly there are better options than these from their respective manufacturers if you do not need that GC.

I was disappointed on seeing the rear seats of popular & recently launched cross-overs. The width, support area as well as space leaves a lot to be desired. The Sail hatch has better space than them.

And frankly, that extra GC isn't going to help you out much in case you need to go off the road a bit. Approach angle isn't generous and none of them have an AWD.

I would rather buy a Honda City or a Maruti Ciaz or get one S4+ 4WD for that money. Or get the top of the line S-Cross 1.6. Maruti should have made it an AWD.

But then, that is me, the world disagrees which is seen every month in the sales figures
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:09   #12
BHPian

Hi Sudeep,

You have presented an interesting question. Whether its worth spending 2 lakhs for the extra height and ground clearance? In my opinion, No. Its just a perception. These are pseudo SUV and will hardly offer anything much for the extra price. Just compare Baleno and Brezza and you will know.

Of the three you have mentioned, Figo seems a very good choice, plus driving it in the city would be a breeze given its compact size, and wonderful engine. What I would be vary of is how the car fares when run in 1 lakh km. How are the maintenance costs, the reliability. This is particularly the reason, I am not suggesting anything from Tata stable.

What I would suggest, its better to spend on would be comfort and quality. S-Cross Sigma is one car I feel you should definitely look at seriously. Its price-variant comparison with Brezza reveals there is not a huge price difference of around 40-50k but what you get is a car that's way more premium, spacious, easily available, all the while affording you the peace of mind of Maruti. You may be able to get some offers on the same too. It also provides you with the best of both worlds, SUV + hatchback.

Another car you can look at is Hyundai i20. Hyundai has really refined the engine on i20 to wonderful levels and its a very enjoyable drive, especially in city. The quality levels on i20 is very good too. Space might be a little less than its rivals, Baleno and Jazz but it makes up on quality, and looks in my opinion.
autorahul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Unless you desperately need the GC, I'd say go for a sedan or a hatch.

The compact SUV is a much abused term in India, and every hatch is now being made to resemble an SUV in looks.

The trouble is that, for SUV looks, you trade in traditional sedan/hatch benefits like handling, ride quality, smaller turning radius, rear seat comfort etc, while not getting any SUV benefits of genuine toughness(TUV has it to a limit), Off roadability, Huge space etc. An urban SUV need not be huge, but should have hardware like AWD/4WD, independent rear suspension, decent off roadibility etc to justify the SUV Tag. The Duster, Yeti etc are a few examples that fit the term.

As mentioned earlier, unless you are troubled with extremely bad roads in your daily commute, my choice would be a proper hatch like the Figo or an Elite i20. If you really need the GC, get an i20 Active or if possible, the S-cross.
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:18   #14
BHPian

Sudeep , The dilemma continues, suggest to revisit the option of Ecosport and Aspire, both are better engineered and proven one, more so with reduced costs/discounts may fit in your budget.

PS - assuming the automatic is optional here.
sanstorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

I have been spoiled by the 185mm ground clearance of the FIAT Punto and have found it a blessing over many types of terrain many times. I am not someone who goes off road looking for adventure, but I do love my vacations and long drives. GC is important for me, but not extremely important so as to sacrifice everything else in the name of GC.

Crossovers seems to be the perfect answer then! A good balance between both the worlds and very much ideal for the Indian road conditions. My pick would have been the Brezza in this case if I were in your shoes.

Also depends if this will be your only car (Since Esteem is old). A jack of all trades Brezza will prove better in the longer run, compared to the master of city speed Figo. Some of the people replying and giving advice might have more than one car in the garage - and they would prefer to go with the master instead of the jack.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th April 2016 at 11:34.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed