Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Options I am looking at:
1. Figo Diesel (6L)
2. Brezza (8.3 L)
3. TUV 300 (8.5 L)
My options:

- Leave TUV out of the equation
- Betwen Figo and the Brezza: Figo for better interiors and the 1.5 Diesel. Gets a good low end as well.
- Between Figo and Ecosport : I dont have an answer, as its a subjective assessment between one and another.
- Between Figo and an I20, I would go with I20 for better interiors.
- As regards to Compact X-Overs, compared to Brezza I would prefer the S-Cross for better quality of build. (Yes looks are subjective).
- You may want to check your boot space requirements and throw that in to your decision making process.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hatchback vs Compact SUV

Quote:
Which diesel car?
I have had similar thoughts and I would choose the CSUV only because of the ground clearance and bigger wheels. Frankly, I am tired of our potholed and broken roads and feel that the CSUVs are better equipped to take on our roads. The CSUV will also give better boot space, if at all that is a requirement. So, if you have had no problem with your low-slung Esteem you can safely go ahead with a hatchback like Figo or a CS if you need boot space. But if you can relate with my words then you need to check this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ra-tuv300.html

If you decide on a CSUV, you might want to look at the Ecosport. I feel it is superior than the Brezza in terms of the build quality (and equal on all other fronts).

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th April 2016 at 11:44.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 12:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The only diesel automatics close to your budget would be the Zest and Dzire AMT's. I assume you will not want the Dzire. Zest is worth a look but honestly I would consider the AMT only if an AT is a key requirement which is not the case for you.
Yeah, I never felt a need of AT, but I cannot comment on that because I have never driven one to actually gauge the difference in convenience. No, Dzire doesnt excite me and I am not so sure about TATA. I will test drive an AT asap to get a feel of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
First thing first, I don't understand this hoopla about cross over/s. A car is rather a sedan or a hatch and a SUV. These are a compromise and very frankly there are better options than these from their respective manufacturers if you do not need that GC.
But then, that is me, the world disagrees which is seen every month in the sales figures
Even I am now slowly inclining towards a a diesel hatchback. I completely agree with the comment on the sales figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Hi Sudeep,

You have presented an interesting question. Whether its worth spending 2 lakhs for the extra height and ground clearance? In my opinion, No. Its just a perception. These are pseudo SUV and will hardly offer anything much for the extra price. Just compare Baleno and Brezza and you will know.
Some of the people I know use the previous gen Figo and have nothing negative to say about it. In fact, they are quite happy with the driveability, solid build quality and even after sales. I am very convinced with the Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Unless you desperately need the GC, I'd say go for a sedan or a hatch.

The compact SUV is a much abused term in India, and every hatch is now being made to resemble an SUV in looks.
As mentioned earlier, unless you are troubled with extremely bad roads in your daily commute, my choice would be a proper hatch like the Figo or an Elite i20. If you really need the GC, get an i20 Active or if possible, the S-cross.
I will be honest, even my esteem has tackled 100% of roads without any damage during daily commutes and regular trips to Rajasthan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
Sudeep , The dilemma continues, suggest to revisit the option of Ecosport and Aspire, both are better engineered and proven one, more so with reduced costs/discounts may fit in your budget.
PS - assuming the automatic is optional here.
I will test drive and finalize Figo D most probably. Wont require the extra space of Aspire. Ecosport D will be slightly out of Budget. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I have been spoiled by the 185mm ground clearance of the FIAT Punto and have found it a blessing over many types of terrain many times.

Also depends if this will be your only car (Since Esteem is old). A jack of all trades Brezza will prove better in the longer run, compared to the master of city speed Figo. Some of the people replying and giving advice might have more than one car in the garage - and they would prefer to go with the master instead of the jack.
I agree . But 1.5 L Figo engine isnt letting me think further.

Last edited by sudeep11787 : 15th April 2016 at 12:21. Reason: changed a comment
sudeep11787 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 19:20   #19
BHPian

Will not suggest these half boiled SUVs. SUVs like TUV are prone to roll over. A short wheel base, high seating position is a sure shot way of increasing body roll many folds.

Full blown SUVs have a much larger wheel base and can compensate the height.

The built quality and the proven safety record of the figo cannot be overlooked. The pricing is also great.

If a proper SUV is needed will suggest Ecosport or Duster.

Automatics are a personal choice. Never felt the manual gear box as a distraction. From my experience I can drive the way I want with a manual. For me manual gives me a bit more control in heavy traffic. Most automatics without hill hold roll back a few inches and can be a bit frustrating. Of course, many believe automatics are the future. So it depends on the driver.

From the given choices figo is the better built, cheaper car.
Captain Haddock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 19:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Buy a new diesel hatchback
3. Buy a new diesel compact SUV

Options I am looking at:
1. Figo Diesel (6L)
2. Brezza (8.3 L)
3. TUV 300 (8.5 L)
Unless you need the extra GC to counter terrible roads (village roads or a road leading to a farmhouse), I think a Hatchback should be good enough.

You may look at the Jazz, which offers great space (comparable to compact SUVs.) The Baleno and i20 are also great cars.

If you don't really require too much of space, the Figo is a great buy.

The TUV is an old-school body-on-frame SUV, weighing about 1.5 tons. It's diesel engine is short on power.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 15th April 2016 at 19:49.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 21:11   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would buy the EcoSport Top Spec Petrol 1 litre EcoBoost Titanium if I were choosing between the three vehicles you've zoomed in on.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 21:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

These days every car maker wants a pie in the "extremely HOT" mini SUV segment. Its like if you're not there you are not a force to reckon with.

Some car maker or the other is launching a new mini SUV every fortnight, claiming it to be "first class first among the crowd" and the right one for prospective buyers. We would earlier see Padminis and Ambassadors with "L" plates (Learning licence) in the olden days. The Maruti 800 reigned in the "L" segment for decades (entry level) and upgrades would be to the 1000, Zen, Esteem, Wagon R , Swift, DZire and so on. The Santro also was popular with "L" plates. The Accent from Hyundai was rarely seen with "L" plates. Lately, we find many of the above (only those surviving) models as entry level cars for buyers with "L" plates.

But from now on, we will commonly see the mini SUV's as entry level cars. That's because the buyers are getting enticed towards the lure of owning a SUV that is as easy to maintain as a B or C segment car.

Rightly as GTO has said, a car (only specific ones vis a vis mini SUV's) is any day more comfortable for the driver as well as passengers for commuting. And the choice must zero upon the right variant for e.g. Ford Ecosport over the other Fords. The Hyundai Creta is much overpriced, but has a huge booking list. Even parked aside the Maruti Vitara Breeza, the Ford Ecosport (please refer to the teambhp test drive of the Maruti Vitara Breeza) does not look dated, apart from it being fine in the workmanship and packaging departments. Buyers are just regaining their composure after the price shock and price wars/ price cuts by Maruti and Ford in this mini SUV segment. And the Mahindra three cylinders ( TUV /KUV) are a pain to manoeuvre in the fast moving traffic on express-ways and highways above 100 kmph, as these run out of breath. Mahindra and Tata inch towards perfection only two or three years after the model launch, to rectify defects and indulge in corrections, based on feedbacks.

The greatest entertainment for onlookers were the companies that did not have a mini-SUV when others were all launching newer ones and getting a slice of the market pie. The birth of the Fiat Avventura and the i 20 Active (were the earlier ones inactive?) were owed to the sudden sighting of this niche mini SUV segment by the car makers and buyers. The car makers unveiled every strategy to mark their attendance in this niche. Tata is among the ones who have not yet ventured here.

The main reason for the mushrooming of the mini-SUV segment is the mini muscles and the road presence the products offer. In our country's "might is right" traffic any large and aggressive looking vehicle is given the right of way by most traffic users. And the perception that these can off-road and have high ground clearance are partially true in select cases but mostly myths that can be disproved with factual data.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th April 2016 at 21:22.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 21:38   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would like to say this is not purely a phenomenon in India. There is a clear rise of this CUV's across the world in terms of consumer preference. Indeed there is even another thread on this forum about this phenomenon.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 21:49   #24
BHPian

This might sound a bit weird but why don't you consider entry level petrol hatchback like Eon or Datsun Go and use the saved money for the extra liters of petrol consumed. Petrol engines are far smoother, punchier, give better response, cheaper to maintain. They are also a bliss in rush hour traffic with light clutch, immediate response and so you can block an auto who cuts into your lane and there is no lag so overtaking will not require lot of planning and no need to change gears more often. And Eon is really compact with small footprint is city-friendly.

Actually I recommend petrol because diesel requires more maintenance in terms of oil and other things. I mean a synthetic oil in a petrol engine runs for longer before it degrades than in a turbo-diesel of today. So, less price of maintenance. And the clutch of a petrol is cheaper and there is no need of replacing the gear linkage cables unlike in a diesel where even the gear rubber bushes wear out sooner. Add all of that and you end up spending all the money you saved from lesser diesel bills.
aveemashfaq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 01:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am just wondering whether it is not worth continuing to run your Esteem for another couple of years. Even assuming increased maintenance costs, you would save around 5L or so over buying a new vehicle. In another couple of years, when you have saved more money, then go ahead and get another vehicle, especially when the Esteem is nearing the end of it's life.
If you are insistent on getting a new vehicle, perhaps look at the Baleno too. I test drove the vehicle and loved the seating space. I would suggest that you don't gain a great deal from the pseudo-SUV's unless you need the additional GC
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 09:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am trying to choose between a good SUV type seating, space AND a low priced diesel hatchback.
Do check out the Zest. Before zeroing in on the TUV, I was in a similar dilemma & almost ended up buying the Zest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My options:
Would agree with Ampere. Consider the TUV only if you need that kind of space on a regular basis as you will be compromising on FE & ride/handling to an extent. Given that 80% of your driving will be in the city & you will be doing ~2K kms a month, you might be better off looking for a auto/amt diesel vehicle and your only option in the 8L bracket is the Zest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
TUV are prone to roll over. A short wheel base, high seating position is a sure shot way of increasing body roll many folds.
TUV has the same wheelbase as the Scorpio - 2680 mm. Yes there is body roll but its not so bad that you will feel nauseated while taking that mild curve on the flyover at 60 kmph. Its a different story if you drive 100 kms every week in the hills else the body roll is almost non existent when driving in city traffic conditions.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 11:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Do check out the Zest. Before zeroing in on the TUV, I was in a similar dilemma & almost ended up buying the Zest.
Not so sure about TATA. No doubt Diesel Zest with AMT is a VFM, but still not convinced with TATA mentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I am just wondering whether it is not worth continuing to run your Esteem for another couple of years. Even assuming increased maintenance costs, you would save around 5L or so over buying a new vehicle.
If you are insistent on getting a new vehicle, perhaps look at the Baleno too. I test drove the vehicle and loved the seating space. I would suggest that you don't gain a great deal from the pseudo-SUV's unless you need the additional GC
I agree. I will keep esteem and run it as well. Only things which I can predict will require replacement are: Tires, suspension, small parts like wiper links, etc. I have changed all the hoses, mileage is great, runs great on CNG as well. AC is no longer effective but it can be fixed. I did over 70k kms since 2012 on it. That's almost 20k a year. I guess I will keep it for 2-3 years more but with a limited usage.

I did a test drive of Baleno also. I loved the weight and peppiness of petrol one. Looks decent and runs well. MID on the 3rd model is fun. Delta one is worth buying. Sigma is too basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
This might sound a bit weird but why don't you consider entry level petrol hatchback like Eon or Datsun Go and use the saved money for the extra liters of petrol consumed.
If I start calculating, definitely a small petrol hatchback wont be too expensive. But for almost 2k monthly running and a liking towards torque in a diesel, I end up in 6-8L diesel hatchback segment. I also plan to keep it for 6-7 years till the end of the engine life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
These days every car maker wants a pie in the "extremely HOT" mini SUV segment. Its like if you're not there you are not a force to reckon with.
But from now on, we will commonly see the mini SUV's as entry level cars. That's because the buyers are getting enticed towards the lure of owning a SUV that is as easy to maintain as a B or C segment car.
Rightly as GTO has said, a car (only specific ones vis a vis mini SUV's) is any day more comfortable for the driver as well as passengers for commuting. And the choice must zero upon the right variant for e.g. Ford Ecosport over the other Fords.
I guess we can call all of these oversized hatchbacks only. Yeah, even I have taken out TUV from the options because of a 3 cyl engine, reduced economy, and non-car like handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would buy the EcoSport Top Spec Petrol 1 litre EcoBoost Titanium if I were choosing between the three vehicles you've zoomed in on.
Will test drive one. I don't know how is the long term reliability. And price is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

You may look at the Jazz, which offers great space (comparable to compact SUVs.) The Baleno and i20 are also great cars.

If you don't really require too much of space, the Figo is a great buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
Will not suggest these half boiled SUVs. SUVs like TUV are prone to roll over. A short wheel base, high seating position is a sure shot way of increasing body roll many folds.

The built quality and the proven safety record of the figo cannot be overlooked. The pricing is also great.

From the given choices figo is the better built, cheaper car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have had similar thoughts and I would choose the CSUV only because of the ground clearance and bigger wheels. . So, if you have had no problem with your low-slung Esteem you can safely go ahead with a hatchback like Figo or a CS if you need boot space. But if you can relate with my words then you need to check this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ra-tuv300.html
I did a test drive of Figo. Fun to drive, very powerful, great brakes and feels 'tight'. Inside you will be surprised by the silence of diesel. Feels like a petrol engine.
But one thing, Titanium is the variant worth buying. I was surprised when I noticed that the base one hasnt got ABS and not even a tacho . ABS starts with Titanium, which puts it in brezza LDi (o), Baleno (delta) territory. But no doubt titanium is well equipped for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My options:

- Betwen Figo and the Brezza: Figo for better interiors and the 1.5 Diesel. Gets a good low end as well.
-
Boot space requirement is none . I will now choose between figo, i20 and brezza. Most probably will get a figo titanium. Can't compromise on ABS.
Old 18th April 2016, 11:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

I wish to know your take on S-Cross 1.3 which also begs for serious consideration.
Quote:
Boot space requirement is none . I will now choose between figo, i20 and brezza. Most probably will get a figo titanium. Can't compromise on ABS.
Old 18th April 2016, 11:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I wish to know your take on S-Cross 1.3 which also begs for serious consideration.
To be honest I didnt test drive one. You are recommending a 1.3l right? Because 1.6 L is way out of budget.
Personally I find S Cross very appealing if I go by the looks. Will test drive one.

Last edited by sudeep11787 : 18th April 2016 at 11:38. Reason: correction
Old 21st April 2016, 23:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

TUV has the same wheelbase as the Scorpio - 2680 mm. Yes there is body roll but its not so bad that you will feel nauseated while taking that mild curve on the flyover at 60 kmph. Its a different story if you drive 100 kms every week in the hills else the body roll is almost non existent when driving in city traffic conditions.
Yes, but handling is not scorpio's high point either. Most suvs especially the ones with ladder on frame chassis and considerable height are poor in handling. I am not talking about doing Schumacher on highways but good ability to change direction is a decisive factor. Narrow track and height contributes to a higher centre of gravity and makes them a bit tipsy.

In kerala we have mostly two lane highways SUVs have an unnerving feel when flicked in quick lane changes here. That is why the Innova is the weapon of choice for most long distance tours here. XUV is also good in this aspect.

This is not a problem pertaining to TUV or Mahindras even my Wagon r suffers from quite a lot of body roll at higher speeds.

In the North this issue may go unnoticed mostly because the highways are a bit wider.

Figo, is a vast improvement in this department and while there is a lot of emphasis given on active safety devices it also depends on the overall dynamics of the car.

I think with tall boy hatches and narrow track mini SUVs handling has taken a back seat.

Last edited by Captain Haddock : 21st April 2016 at 23:39.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks