Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would be the best hatch post mods?
Abarth Punto with Remap (150 WHP) 38 54.29%
Polo TDI Stage 2 tune (165 WHP) 27 38.57%
Figo Diesel with Remap (110 WHP) 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 19:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Hatchback for an Enthusiast - Under 14 lakhs (with mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you want a performance hatch on a budget of 12 - 14 lakhs, look no further than the Abarth Punto. Damn fast, great steering, awesome road manners. Yes, the gearshifts aren't slick and the ergonomics are messed up, but no car is perfect. If performance is your priority, this should be your top choice.

Would also suggest not modifying for the sake of modifying. In your opening post, you've already mentioned the remap costs for the Abarth Punto. Trust me, it's quick in stock form itself. Why talk of modifying when the stock car is so good? Again, that's modifying just for the sake of modifying, especially when you are buying a factory modified car! I'd get a long warranty, upgrade the tyres and enjoy her.

Over the other cars you've listed, the Abarth Punto also has the advantage of being a petrol. High-revving a petrol is a joy in itself and can't be matched by any diesel. Not to forget, you already have an S-Cross 1.6L, so why not a petrol now?
Further to the same, the car is shockingly fast on 97 octane. I drove it, and was spellbound by seeing the response. I got my diesel Punto remapped after delaying for almost an year and judging by all the pros and cons. But, 90 hp/230 nm up from 75 bhp/197 nm is a lot. 145 hp is.....well, a hell lot.
sidindica is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 20:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I don't think you can do much with this gearbox, but the Doc. could do this if he decided to go with the Abarth.
I asked this because doesn't the Abarth come with a much better gearbox setup abroad.
The only problem enthusiasts have with the Abarth is the gearbox.
Can't the car then, be refitted with the gearbox that comes as standard abroad as that should be a direct fit and also have the maximum impact on the car's characteristic.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 13th July 2016 at 20:29.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 21:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I asked this because doesn't the Abarth come with a much better gearbox setup abroad.
Can't the car then, be refitted with the gearbox that comes as standard abroad as that should be a direct fit and also have the maximum impact on the car's characteristic.
The 6 speed manuals (another dud) came with the newer multiair engine and not with the T-Jet engine. This is on the Punto Abarth in the UK, but I may be wrong. The Indian 595 which comes with a souped up t-Jet engine has a better version of an AMT, which I don't think the Doc will touch with a barge pole.
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 21:16   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Yes, this can be done. But it would be very expensive to import full transmission assembly. Gearshifts are not so bad, I can live with it. I find the clutch little weird.
Old 13th July 2016, 23:17   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I had a good talk about the same with Wolf tuner. He has one of the best maps for Fiat cars with switchable option. According to him it's about fuel and compression.
Guess they had to play it safe due to the low quality of fuel available in the country. Extreme tunes tend to work better on higher octane fuel.

I can see few suggestions on Speed 97 already, but the simple question is - Is it available at Mangalore?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 23:19   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guess they had to play it safe due to the low quality of fuel available in the country. Extreme tunes tend to work better on higher octane fuel.

I can see few suggestions on Speed 97 already, but the simple question is - Is it available at Mangalore?
Yes, fuel quality is one of the main reason for lowered power variants in India. 97 octane petrol is not available here in Mangalore.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 00:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

If I were in your shoes, I'd not consider any diesel car (no matter how practical) as a project car for performance upgrades. It has to be a petrol car.

My preference would be in the order below:
1. Take your Baleno 1.2L and go mental with it! NA/TC your choice...the options are endless. Just look at what BHPian PratikPatel did with his Fiesta! Now that's a project car!

2. Get a GT TSI instead of the TDI. It's petrol, has an absolutely amazing engine+gearbox combo and there are ample options to make it a superior track day tool too. I know you must be saying that you want a manual but I've driven the DSG on some insane ghat sections using the paddles (aftermarket) and it completely blew my mind. Would suggest you to try it.

3. If these options don't make sense to you then please drive home the Punto Abarth. It's like no other car in the Indian market today.
S2!!! is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 01:26   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
If I were in your shoes, I'd not consider any diesel car (no matter how practical) as a project car for performance upgrades. It has to be a petrol car.

My preference would be in the order below:
1. Take your Baleno 1.2L and go mental with it! NA/TC your choice...the options are endless. Just look at what BHPian PratikPatel did with his Fiesta! Now that's a project car!

2. Get a GT TSI instead of the TDI. It's petrol, has an absolutely amazing engine+gearbox combo and there are ample options to make it a superior track day tool too. I know you must be saying that you want a manual but I've driven the DSG on some insane ghat sections using the paddles (aftermarket) and it completely blew my mind. Would suggest you to try it.

3. If these options don't make sense to you then please drive home the Punto Abarth. It's like no other car in the Indian market today.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Adding turbo charger to NA petrol car is a long process and involves lot of trial and error methods. It would be quite expensive too. Many Honda petrol cars are being turbocharged. I have seen few old swifts with turbo. Baleno has 1.2 VVT. I did not come across any 1.2 VVT engine with TC. Instead of modifying my Baleno, I can trade it off for boosterjet. Booster jet with remap and FFE would be good enough and easy power gain.

I honestly agree that I have not driven GT TSI on a long stretch. I had taken it once for a short TD and also drove a remapped one. A longer TD is on my cards now.

I have driven stock Abarth punto thrice and it's the best hot hatch in our market. I wish to drive a remapped Abarth punto to get a clear idea.

I have not considered hardcore mods for any cars. For Polo, stage 2 tune (with a bigger turbo) is considered because TOT has done this on couple of VAG cars.
Old 14th July 2016, 01:30   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Baleno has 1.2 VVT. I did not come across any 1.2 VVT engine with TC. Instead of modifying my Baleno, I can trade it off for boosterjet. Booster jet with remap and FFE would be good enough and easy power gain.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-112-bhp.html

Another thread that can confuse you, in case you havent noticed it already.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 01:54   #55
Team-BHP Support

It's a no brainer!

The GT TSI should be your pick of the lot. At 11 lakhs a pop, you're left with exactly 3 lakhs to play with. The GTI steering wheel should set you back 50k. A set of Bilsteins B-sixes and H&R coilovers should set you back another 1 lakh. Swap the front rotors and pads, get a remap and get a set of nice 16" wheels / tyres, and you've got a properly fun car!

The updated Polo also comes with quite a bit of kit (touch screen infotainment, rain sensing wipers, powered ORVMs, cooled glovebox, cruise control, etc.) so it doesn't feel outdated. The solid construction / build-quality rounds it off quite nicely.

The Abarth would also fit the bill perfectly. At 12.5 lakhs, you've got about 1.5 to play with. And unlike the TSI, you don't need to fiddle with the chassis to achieve the desired results. The 1.5 lakhs can go into ironing out its defects. For example, you could install a short-shifter and improve the shift-action, maybe get an uprated clutch to go with it for better bite? You could get a high quality exhaust system that aids performance. Wider, better tyres for improved traction. Maybe some gloss-black wrapping film to cover up the red?

It may not be a well-rounded and a sophisticated product like the GT TSI, but it's guaranteed to put a smile on your face!

The Figo is great, but whatever the figures might say, it's more commuter-car than outright fun, IMO.

That leaves you with these two options and personally, you'd do well to get either one. The only deciding factor for me would be running it hassle-free. And that solely depends on your dealer / service outlet.
suhaas307 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 08:44   #56
Team-BHP Support

As an alternate option wait and see how the Polo GTI is priced. In the stock form it will be safe and solid, and can build on it in a year or two.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 12:13   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Another thread that can confuse you, in case you havent noticed it already.
Haha, thanks for confusing me more . Instead of buying a new car and modifying it within 14 lakhs budget, I can spend couple of lakhs on my Baleno itself and can even double the power. (Obviously TC should be required).

My dad is strictly against any mods. He loves Baleno for FE which easily gives 20 KMPL plus on highways.

Me : Do you know with a TC and few other mods, our Baleno would do double power?

Dad : Oh really!! Yes, at the expense of halved FE. I suggest to turbo charge yourself. You have been doing mods to all the cars without my notice. Better don't touch any cars at home and get yourself a small powerful car and do whatever you want. I am sure that car would be dead from day 1.

Me : Yes, I need a hatchback which should be really FTD after mods.

Dad : OK, after few months. But you are not doing anything to S-Cross.

Me : OK (Sorry, it would be remapped haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's a no brainer!

The GT TSI should be your pick of the lot. At 11 lakhs a pop, you're left with exactly 3 lakhs to play with. The GTI steering wheel should set you back 50k. A set of Bilsteins B-sixes and H&R coilovers should set you back another 1 lakh. Swap the front rotors and pads, get a remap and get a set of nice 16" wheels / tyres, and you've got a properly fun car!

The updated Polo also comes with quite a bit of kit (touch screen infotainment, rain sensing wipers, powered ORVMs, cooled glovebox, cruise control, etc.) so it doesn't feel outdated. The solid construction / build-quality rounds it off quite nicely.
I had not included GT TSI only because of automatic transmission. I had taken only short spin before. After going through all the suggestions, I will take her on a long stretch. One of my friend's friend has GT TSI with paddle shift steering. I will try to get my hands on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
As an alternate option wait and see how the Polo GTI is priced. In the stock form it will be safe and solid, and can build on it in a year or two.
Agreed!! I hope it's priced little above my budget. If so, I can convince my dad to spend few more lakhs and get a more powerful car in stock form itself. (Yes, I might end up remapping it too )
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 03:42   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Haha, thanks for confusing me more
Any updates Dr. Naren? Have you finalized your next ride yet?

Was going through the Brio 1.5 conversion thread and then remembered that this thread has died prematurely. So here's your wake up call.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 09:10   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any updates Dr. Naren? Have you finalized your next ride yet?

Was going through the Brio 1.5 conversion thread and then remembered that this thread has died prematurely. So here's your wake up call.
Haha. Not anytime soon. As of now, I am planning to check Polo GT TSI. I want to test drive it once again. Also I want to drive GT TSI with paddle shifts wheel.

Abarth Punto with switchable maps from Wolf Moto > Polo TDI with stage 2 TOT remap > Baleno Booster jet > Polo GT TSI

I was more inclined towards Polo TDI when I posted this thread. Now mind is tilted towards Abarth .

P. S : Few more days and something would be transformed into a torque monster (Already a torque king in stock )
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 09:16   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I voted Polo just because it looks so good. Somewhere deep inside its heart must be a smattering of that delicious GOLF GTi DNA...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks