Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which 1.0L hatchback would you pick?
Renault Kwid 116 58.00%
Maruti Alto K10 69 34.50%
Hyundai Eon 15 7.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2016, 15:14   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Battle of the 1.0s: Kwid vs Alto vs Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hyundai managers must be scratching their heads. The Eon is the most well-built of the lot, has the best quality and offers the best interiors. In the last 4 months, it's sold less than 4k units. On this poll, it's the last and by quite a margin.
Don't ask the Hyundai managers to call me, but I think I know why Eon sells only 3000 to 4000 units per month -

1) For an entry level car, Eon looks "too expensive". Most people go for Maruti 800/Alto because of the combination of low maintenance, reliability & best fuel economy. Eon does NOT give that impression. MARUTI plus 800/ALTO brand names work against the Eon here.

2) Hyundai needs to adopt AMT technology, plonk it into Eon and see a 20 to 30% improvement in sales.

Sure, a Kwid doesn't have automatic yet, looks expensive and is not a Maruti either. While Eon is stylish, Kwid is almost macho - appeals to a different audience. Customers of Kwid may not necessarily be first time car buyers. Thanks to the practicality (large boot), many Kwid customers might originally have looked at cars from a segment higher too (Eg: Celerio, Wagon R).

Kwid is stealing customers from all segments!

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th September 2016 at 15:24.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 15:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hyundai managers must be scratching their heads. The Eon is the most well-built of the lot, has the best quality and offers the best interiors. In the last 4 months, it's sold less than 4k units. On this poll, it's the last and by quite a margin.
The car buyers who want a cheapest car with a strict budget will go for an Alto, and those who can stretch a little bit and want better looks with roomy interior will go for the Kwid. Eon is lost between these two hatchbacks now.
Hyundai need to give a facelift to Eon to boost sales.
The facelift should be striking enough to attract crowd. The easiest way is to experiment with fresh colours (such as pink, yellow, orange) and probably add a few features such as touch screen infotainment with Navigation, and rear parking sensors with camera.
There are advertisements at dealer levels giving huge discounts on Eons, but that will not make this car sell like hot cakes.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 16:41   #18
BHPian

A variant of Alto K10 also comes with a factory fitted CNG option. People who are low on budget, this is a bonus point given the low running cost. Both the Kwid and Eon do not have CNG options (although dealer level fitting may be available).

Another variant comes with AMT which is not available with the other two currently (Kwid's AMT would be launched in festive season) and thus people prefer to buy the K10.

K10's engine is also fun to drive compared to the other two.
Old 12th September 2016, 17:18   #19
BHPian

All the 3 cars mentioned have a dismal build quality that attracts 0 NCAP rating. K10 is the best of the lot as far as the engine is concerned, for everything else there is Kwid. So as a first car it would be Kwid, and Alto K10 as a second car. In any case if I buy any of the mentioned cars, it would be limited to city duties.
Old 12th September 2016, 18:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Kwid is the biggest in terms of interior space.
300Ltr boot,touchscreen,Airbag option makes it a perfect choice for first time buyer.

With Kwid AMT, alto K10 sales are bound to be hit.
Renault should now reduce the prices of 800cc Kwid to make things interesting.

Renault with a good array of accessories has made Kwid much more desirable to own than other two, which matters a lot in this segment.
Just ask TATA.
Old 12th September 2016, 18:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

If it were primarily for my wife, I would go for the Alto K10 automatic (with her permission that is ) Why ? It is a no headache car with multiple service centers -and good ones at that- in and around the city. I dont have to give her any attention, its almost like buying a Honda activa.

Yes, if it is only for me I would go for the Kwid 1.0. I don't know how she fares in terms of reliability, but I would not mind spending time waiting for tow-truck to arrive if it had to. So far I see only one Renault showroom near my home, and I dont know if they sell spares over the counter, but that should improve soon. I would replace those wheels with alloys after some time and do some tinkering here and there since I would have the money I saved by not choosing the Eon.

Of-course, all three cars are out of question when it comes to safety. This is purely for city commute.
Old 12th September 2016, 19:01   #22
BHPian

Voted for the Alto K10.

Why? I own a K10 AMT, recently crossed 33,000kms in 18months delivering consistent performance and fuel efficiency and the ease of AMT, overall I am a very happy customer. The Kwid is definitely the best looking and more comfortable than the other two cars. If I had to choose among these three cars today, I will almost go for the Kwid with AMT(if available) but the plastic oil sump (which is a scary concern for me) and the long term reliability of the new 1.0L engine will hold me back. May be after a year and several long term reviews later the Kwid 1.0L will prove its mettle.
Old 12th September 2016, 22:56   #23
BHPian

If I must choose between the three, it will be Alto 1.0. Test drove Kwid 1.0 recently and all said and done, engine is no match to K10/Kappa. Then there is a question mark on long term reliability. This takes Kwid out of the consideration.

Between Alto and Eon, the choice is mostly subjective. Alto comes with AMT which makes the life within the city easier. It feels peppier too. Their looks (no offence meant), to me are equally non-appealing but that is a secondary criteria.

If indeed buy a non-premium hatch anytime, it will be a B class one with better safety rating and superior road behaviour compared to these three.

Last edited by rsm97 : 12th September 2016 at 22:58.
Old 12th September 2016, 23:07   #24
BHPian

Alto K10 has the best drivability, the Kwid is also good but the turning radius is not as small as the K10 and the Renault badge may not appeal to people who are first time buyers. I would personally choose K10 for its compact dimensions and the service network of MSIL
Old 12th September 2016, 23:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I see a lot of people talk about the lack of safety in this segment. I was born in late 80s when the only available cars were a lot more unsafe than the three little cars here. We did clock hundred of thousands of kilometres in those cars.

So ignoring the safety aspect, my pick would be the baby duster- Kwid 1.0. But if someone can extend the budget by 50k, there are better (celerio) options available.

Of the 3 cars here, kwid has the most space, biggest boot, aesthetics, features and more importantly, it does not feel like a cheap entry level car like the alto does.

I must also add (as a Kwid 1.0 owner) that I am skeptical about A.S.S experience with Renault. I dont hear good things about them.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 12th September 2016 at 23:38.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 02:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

I can't understand the psyche of people suggesting other cars then the three or NOTA etc.
Why bother voting when these cars doesn't make the cut for you.

This poll is most accurately planned and if the NOTA, etc is introdued, this thread will become yet another sermon filled thread on safety with repeat posts.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 06:23   #27
BHPian

If I were to choose between the three, the Alto wins my vote. It is undeniably the most fun to drive among the three. The Alto's dimensions let's one fit the car into seemingly impossible gaps while the K10 engine complements by easily being able to close in on that gap. This kind of a coherence between size, power, gear box and visibility is missing on the Kwid and Eon. While ride quality is not as sorted as the Kwid it isn't a deal breaker on the Alto. Seeing them as a competition for a city run-about, the Alto is perfect for the ever growing traffic in cities like Bangalore. It is chuckable on the twists too if it matters. And for those occasional highway drives for a family of three, the engine is really good fun and economical.

If one were to compare equipment, quality and space the Alto cannot hold a candle against the other two. Eon's space and ergonomics are really commendable. The Kwid beats the other two in gadgetry, space and the ride quality.
saishivaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 06:58   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

1. Eon is well specced.
2. Alto is very basic.
3. Kwid is well specced and looks good + macho (mini SUV-esque)

Hence Kwid has the max appeal in the current scenario in India, with this propensity for SUV-esque vehicles.

They got their formula SPOT ON for an entry level car. Great value at Rs 5.08 Lacs on road Bangalore for the top spec.
Old 13th September 2016, 10:05   #29
BHPian

Voted for alto. Safety is dubious in all the three cars, and will not buy these cars for features(Need to look in higher segment for features). Only thing I care about is performance and alto is the best among three on that parameter.
Old 13th September 2016, 12:08   #30

Perfect Poll at the perfect time.
I am currently in the market scouting for an upgrade to my well aging 2012 Nano.
My requirements are pretty clear and to the point.
1. It will be replacing the nano which is parked in an already tight spot and the replacement must fit in the same spot. (no privilege to go for a bigger size Read: Tiago, Celerio,etc.)
2. Usage restricted to Pune city only. (It will be the second vehicle in the garage. Already have an XUV for long drives).
3. AMT is a must for my Super Young and Dynamic Dad who is fed up with the clutch pedal now (Primary reason for the upgrade)
4. Replacing a Nano with AMT Nano is a strictly NoNo for my wife (she will also be enjoying by the clutch-less drive)
5. Budget (Dont want to spend much on the workhorse which will hardly cross any Tolls to get out of the city.)

Considering the above set of requirements i am about to book an Alto K10 AMT. and voted for the same in the poll.

I was planning to wait for the Kwid AMT launch that is planned this festive season. (Dealers have already started accepting bookings).
Did a test drive of the 1.0 MT and found it not worth the price for a top spec car.(5 Lac plus) On-road Pune. Base variants are value for money but AMT will most probably be plonked in the top spec configuration. Moreover Renault is offering a pathetic by back for my nano as compared to Maruti thereby making my decision inclined to go for an Alto. (These are strictly my thoughts based on my requirements. Period)
sandsdune is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks