Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which budget automatic hatchback would you choose?
Renault Kwid 73 38.02%
Maruti Alto K10 77 40.10%
Tata Nano GenX 42 21.88%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2016, 15:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Budget Automatics: Kwid vs Alto vs Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Can someone explain the difference between the AMT (as used in budget Autos) and the more conventional Torque Converter, and even DSG automatics. Also, do CVT boxes also have some thing similar to torque converter or fluid coupling. Else how do they cope with the start-stop scenarios.
I found this article and this to be a good starting point.
Old 8th December 2016, 22:35   #32
BHPian

I did not think that the missing creep function in Kwid is a big problem in real conditions as it may seem on paper. I drove it a few times in Bangalore traffic and it cemented my conviction. Pace of bumper to bumper traffic is rarely steady whereas creep is (mostly) a steady state operation. I own a Rapid DSG and I have to make frequent shifts between the brake and accelerator anyway because very rarely does the creep pace match my actual speed needs. I have to go up and down the pace levels all the time. In fact, on level-road deep traffic, I prefer not to have the creep at all. I can make better use of the inertia in a creep-less car rather than the other. To be honest, I find automatics a bigger pain to drive on extremely heavy traffic than a manual one, irrespective of the creep function availability. The convenience is all on moderate or non-uniform traffic needing frequent gearshifts and creep has minimal relevance there.

However, I am of the opinion that this car should be banned, solely because of the missing manual mode sans any other related protective features. That alone makes it one of the most dangerous cars in typical Indian conditions. And this is a repeat offence by Renault. I love the Kwid MT but would strongly recommend against anyone considering the AMT version.

My vote is for the super boring yet practical Alto AMT.
Old 9th December 2016, 14:01   #33

Voted for Alto.

If I had to, I would buy an AMT for my parents, who live in J&K and most of the drive would be on winding roads involving inclines /declines. With a small engine, manual mode becomes a necessity there.
I stay in Noida and would have preferred Kwid for its space, looks and overall value. And in NCR use, missing manual mode might be ok for 95% of the usage.
I am ok with no creep function availability though.
Old 10th December 2016, 10:31   #34
BHPian

As someone who bought an Alto AMT 6 months back for the missus to use; I would definitely vote for Alto K10 AMT. As GTO mentioned, the creep functionality is a god's gift in the bumper to bumper traffic and she in fact has started enjoying driving cars now. My Polo is biting the dust now as even I prefer to lunge around in an AMT for the city runs! :-)
Old 13th December 2016, 16:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Maruti Alto K10

What you won't:

• VXI (O) trim & airbag unavailable with the AMT. No ABS on any variant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I was about to write that this seems an easy choice - Alto seemed an obvious pick.

Then I read this -

This is a deal breaker for me.
Jyst FYI for all T-BHPians, VXi(O) trim is now available for Alto K10 AMT/AGS and is listed in price page on website. And I know this because my dad just bought K10 AGS . He upgraded from Maruti 800, and is just too happy with the effortless driving this car offers!

Last edited by asethi : 13th December 2016 at 17:00.
asethi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 14:43   #36
BHPian

I have voted for Nano XTA which I bought in July 2015 and have completed 4800km on it. It being a second car for me I have used it for extremely short distance usually 2-3km, but in extremely congested traffic. Its been a trouble free experience with good fun to drive characteristics in traffic with the sport mode on! As I have upgraded the tyres to Bridgestone for 4600rs the braking is good with reduced road noise as a bonus.
I am buying the second Nano XTA in my family for my father in Delhi who was using a Zen estilo till now. He test drove the Nano which was his first experience with it and was surprised with the amount of room inside. The Alto was not suitable for his frame so finalized on Nano Xta white from Concorde south extn Delhi.

Last edited by damodar : 14th December 2016 at 15:00.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 18:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Jyst FYI for all T-BHPians, VXi(O) trim is now available for Alto K10 AMT/AGS and is listed in price page on website. And I know this because my dad just bought K10 AGS . He upgraded from Maruti 800, and is just too happy with the effortless driving this car offers!
Congratulations. And, My dad too got his Alto K10 VXi(o) AGS delivered on Saturday. This replaces his almost 20 year old Maruti 800.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks