Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2006, 22:58   #1

Hi All,

I am planning to buy my first ever car of life...may be within couple of months
Initially I had convinced myself for buying Maruti Alto until when I read a review about Indica Xeta in a magazine. From then I am little bit confused about which car will better suit me.

I have been reading many articles/reviews (including couple of them in this forum) and I have come to know that Indica is better car in all respect when compared to Alto except ofcource for FE.

I am not that worried about FE as I may use my car only on weekends or may be sometimes when I am running late to office or may be during rainy season.

So my question is Which among these two cars will be better for me (for first time user) and also which will be better for a long time use coz I may not upgrade in near future.

Awaiting for suggestions....

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd October 2006, 00:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Kindly use the search feature on team-bhp,there already exists a thread only for the comparison of these two cars

Ps:

Visit
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...highlight=alto
Old 22nd October 2006, 09:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_s
Hi All,

I am planning to buy my first ever car of life...may be within couple of months
Initially I had convinced myself for buying Maruti Alto until when I read a review about Indica Xeta in a magazine. From then I am little bit confused about which car will better suit me.

I have been reading many articles/reviews (including couple of them in this forum) and I have come to know that Indica is better car in all respect when compared to Alto except ofcource for FE.

I am not that worried about FE as I may use my car only on weekends or may be sometimes when I am running late to office or may be during rainy season.

So my question is Which among these two cars will be better for me (for first time user) and also which will be better for a long time use coz I may not upgrade in near future.

Thanks in advance.
Test drive Santro Xing and Indica Xeta. Both are good cars and better than Alto and since you're not worried about FE. Choose which one gives you the most comfort.
Old 22nd October 2006, 20:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

well, first you can go through the link provided by rahul_intlad. then if you have any further questions, it can be brought up here for discussion.

my advice for a first timer would be to go for a maruti, since their cars have greater longevity without any hassles & for better service.
Old 22nd October 2006, 21:25   #5
BHPian

I feel that Santro is the perfect car in that segment.

Alto would be a good choice if you are new to driving and FE is the prime consideration..........plus its a Maruti !!

I am still not convinced about Indica/Xeta call it what you will as it suffers from an image problem, rightly or wrongly!

here in NCR, when you see an indica, first thought is that it must be a taxi !!
Old 23rd October 2006, 16:19   #6

Thanks for ur replies guys,

rahul_intlad,
I have been through that topic. after that itself i concluded Xeta was better than alto.

markiv.
Santro is out of my budget. I can spend less than 3.5L for an on road price. I dont think santro comes in that.

esteem_lover,
As u have rightly pointed out, that was my question. For a first time driver which car would be better. Merely have a bigger engine/size doesn't make it a good car overall.

I wanna know which is good car which may include cost of running, service, good ergonomics, good reliable engine and ofcourse well suited for a zero exp driver like me...

Thanks,
Old 23rd October 2006, 17:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Santro onroad prices starts from 3 lacs and now discounts going on may be around 15,000 RS so IF you are ready to spend 3.5 lacs you can get santro car for sure it might not be fully loaded by one grade less than so called fully loaded Santro, for city and highway driving Santro is all rounder and its the winner except for its bumpy ride comfort. If you really want value for money and not bothered about safety go with Alto , if you are not bothered technical aspects go for indica,

Ravi.
Old 23rd October 2006, 18:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
If you really want value for money and not bothered about safety go with Alto , if you are not bothered technical aspects go for indica,
What makes you think that Alto is unsafe compared to Santro?
It feels and is actually more solid than Santro and WagonR. This is from my own personal experience.
Dont know of any safety equipment/feature that Alto lacks in comparison to Santro. If it does, let me know. If at all, the Tall boy structure puts Santro at the receiving end.

Coming back to the topic, i would rather go for a Maruti/Hyundai product. TATA is best known for diesel vehicles. Unless you want to be a part of TATA R&D, stay away from the petrol cars.
Old 23rd October 2006, 19:29   #9
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_s
I am planning to buy my first ever car of life... I am little bit confused about which car will better suit me...so my question is Which among these two cars will be better for me (for first time user)and also which will be better for a long time use coz I may not upgrade in near future.

For a first time buyer, it HAS to be a Maruti. You can count on them (atleast most of the times!)

Buy Maruti. Buy peace of mind! (How is that for a tag line...a bit hack I suppose!)

I havent had a single issue with Maruti till date. First I had an 800 and now a Baleno. My two cents.
Old 23rd October 2006, 21:52   #10
BHPian

well Sandeep, in that case i would recommend the Alto definitely as its your first car and it would be a hassle free vehicle to own.

and the after sales support of maruti would be reassuring as well as would be the low running cost.
Old 24th October 2006, 09:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dceite,

What I mean is Santro has ABS as an option even on low end version of Santro we can buy Santro basic model with ABS and its braking system is far far better than Maruti cars including Alto, Santro has more space inside, driver's seat of alto is not as comfortable as Santro and since Santro is tall boy design its more safer than alto i feel, Santro comes wth *** rating in safety measures and I saw few accidents involving Santro where passengers are safe even at higher speeds. Alto is also good vehicle but I feel Santro scores over Alto any time. But this might be my
personal thought

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 24th October 2006, 12:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Alto has a very good braking system which i have tested during my long highway trips, other small cars are nothing special... I am 181cm tall, didnt find any problem during the longest drive from Blr - Kol... I still feel it has good aerodynamic features than Santro...
Finally, i feel the main safety feature of a car is the driver !!! This ABS etc are nothing to do if u have a proper driving sense and speed control....A good driver will never apply his brakes, he can sense things well in advance slowly decelerate his vehicle...
For a first small car go for an Alto, dont waste money on other cars where you can have hassles as well as lower FE...Let me tell you, Alto AC is absolutely gr8 (Santro and Indica doesnt come close).... That i have tested in the Kolkata and orissa afternoon heat...
Only space in the rear is lesser in alto...indica has the best space in small car...

My 2 cents
Abhi
Old 24th October 2006, 13:07   #13
BHPian

Hey!

I'm bringing in a Fiat 1.2 as an option into this thread.

(too good to resist!)
Old 24th October 2006, 13:17   #14
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi
Hey! I'm bringing in a Fiat 1.2 as an option into this thread.(too good to resist!)
Superavi....the author of this thread has clearly mentioned: So my question is Which among these two cars will be better for me (between Alto and Indica)
Dont you think it will confuse him further?
Old 24th October 2006, 13:26   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Topic has been discussed extensively before. Please use the search function to find the relevant answers.

This thread is closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks