Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2006, 16:08   #1

Hi gentlemen,

need your opinion to decide between optra elite or chevrolet srv option pack

Price: optra elite 8.41 lacs
srv optionpack 8.50 lacs
prices quoted by Garuda bangalore

average distance 1000kms

Vehicle used in city as well as on highway.

self driven in city; chauffer driven on highways

ride comfort and road handling is important to me

Fuel economy is not a criterion.

optra comes with a simple casset player while srv is loaded with alpine double din player in addition to airbag, 15 " alloy wheels.

Since many opinions in this forum are negative as far as srv is concerned
I look to your valuable suggestions as I have to decide latest by 27th of this month

Thanks in advance

Harindra
Old 24th October 2006, 16:38   #2
BHPian

Hi !!

Personally speaking i dont think SRV is worth that kinda money so i would probably say go for Optra but you decide on your priorities if you want a big hatchback or a big sedan.

Cheers !
Old 24th October 2006, 17:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the Optra is more well rounded as a car. Has a pleasant highway ride and road manners. You can always get a CD player later, if the Optra lacks one.
Old 24th October 2006, 17:38   #4
BHPian

Since you would be using it on the highway quite regularly, I would say the boot would be more than welcome.

The SRV provides very little (if any) advantage over the Optra, except it being at a lower price. And as far as the equipment goes, you can always add it on the Optra later. But you can never add a boot on the SRV.
Old 24th October 2006, 17:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Optra sedan- other than the pros already mentioned, resale value should also be higher for the Optra.

Do you need a double din system ? You can probably haggle with the dealer to get a MP3 player in lieu of the cassette player. And then add on alloys of your choice later on.
Old 24th October 2006, 17:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on what you are expecting from the car.
  1. If you are a typical cost consious buyer than the car's resale value has to be obviously taken into account and in that sense SRV doesnt seem a good option. Optra is a good car for you , or for that matter even the base Corolla makes good sense .
  2. Both cars(optra and corolla) have high comfort levels aside from being pleasant looking . If the car is going to be self driven I feel corolla makes a better option(better drive train and transmission,and low on maintenence).
  3. I dont think Music system is that big a factor in your case(since the system you are getting in SRV is no Mark Levinson) , you can easily get a better system( relatively better ) for a few thousands...not the best way to compare features.

Last edited by maxbhp : 24th October 2006 at 17:59.
Old 24th October 2006, 18:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Since you would be using it on the highway quite regularly, I would say the boot would be more than welcome.

The SRV provides very little (if any) advantage over the Optra, except it being at a lower price. And as far as the equipment goes, you can always add it on the Optra later. But you can never add a boot on the SRV.
The boot capacity of optra is 405 ltrs as compared to srv's which is 50 ltrs less which for a hatch is quite good.In addition most of my highway travel is official and as such I am alone in the vehicle
Old 24th October 2006, 18:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Between the optra and srv,resale value is going to be a problem with SRV,Maintainance and spares could be more expensive due to the lack of response in the Indian market for the SRV.
Such has been the response for the SRV that the very continuity of the SRV atleast in its present form and price remains doubtful in the Indian market.

Buy the SRV if you want something to stand out from the crowd,else for everything else stick with the optra.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 24th October 2006 at 18:42.
Old 24th October 2006, 18:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hey Harindra,

It looks like your heart wants the SRV but the brain is thinking otherwise.
One word of advice is that if you've driven the SRV and you liked it compared to the optra do go for the SRV.
Its best to let your heart rule if you like the way the car drives and it brings a smile to your face when you drive.
The SRV isnt that bad a car its just that its pricing is a put off for buyers.
If the price and mileage is not a constraint then its a good buy.
Old 24th October 2006, 19:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Optra too and most of the reasons have already been mentioned by people above. Plus you're getting the Elite version which is pretty well equipped as is.

As for the music system with the money you save by buying the Optra (9k) you can buy yourself a good aftermarket HU from Pioneer with Dancing Dolphins, Volt meters et al

On a more serious not the Optra has better interiors than the SRV and also in the long term will give you a better resale value. And as Rahul pointed out earlier maintenance will become an issue since this model is not selling at all hence may be withdrawn from the market earlier than planned.
Old 24th October 2006, 19:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go for Optra It should have better resale value than SRV since Optra is very good, it has good ride comfort and good build quality as well, SRV has less boot space compared with optra. If you don't give importance to resale value and can travel with SRV's boot space go with SRV.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks