Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 23:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned city hatchback under 1 lakh rupees?

I would suggest a Zen classic if you can find one under your budget. It will have AC and power steering as you have mentioned these requirements in your expectations. M800 is also a good option if you manage to find one with AC because normal variant doesn't come with AC nor power steering. But having been personally driven one for many years, not having a power steering in M800 won't matter much because of its light weight. Still I would suggest to go for a Zen classic if you are able to find one in a good condition.
navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 01:20   #32
BHPian

[quote=driverace;4150297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Whys

Why not:

The priorities are only -
Efficient / reliable / frugal / good A/c / "sufficiently" powerful!

Problem, as usual, is- these priorities seem to auto shuffle, based on the car I am looking at!

Any specific reason why you are not considering an Alto ? It doesn't figure in your Why list nor the "Why Not" list.

Like others have pointed out, Alto is a very sensible and practical city car with relatively low maintenance.

I had owned/driven an Alto for about 10 years and I really found it a great car. Granted, there are many shortcomings, but for that price point and the usage pattern, it is a solid workhorse.

Your criteria:
Efficient - Yes - gives about 15-18km/l in city with A/C ON
Reliable - Yes - other than the regular maintenance at 5k km, never had any issue
Frugal - Spares are cheap, plus decent mileage
Good AC - Decent enough for the front row passengers
Sufficiently powerful- Yep, it ticks this also. I have had many highway runs also in my alto. When I finally gave it up (around 1.25L km in odo), it was with a heavy heart

Plus some bonus points - You get a PS vehicle, which you will not get if you are considering m800, etc. Also there is a decent resale value for Alto.

Last edited by haria : 15th March 2017 at 01:21.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 17:38   #33
BHPian

In similar situation and checking out M800 under 30k. Already have two cars so this is strictly beater for lugging stuff around. Max running 10km/day. Have seen a few from 1997-98 going for 25-30k. What can go wrong with this car other than rusting? Also what's the mileage i can expect?
Old 11th April 2017, 21:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Oh, what a wonderful thread. I am also in the same boat. I can save atleast 4k a week if I have a second car. Like all of you, I have shortlisted, the 800 & WagonR. I also, have maruti omni in my list. The omni should be cheap and ideal for 1 or 2 people; the amazing luggage hauling capacity should certainly come in handy.

The only other beater car that I really want to buy is an mpfi gypsy, but that is not exactly cheap.

So, what makes an ideal beater car?
Old 11th April 2017, 22:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

For me the beater car is the one that I already have: don't sell your old ride unless it's beyond redemption: keep it road worthy and safe to drive and it will serve you faithfully. Took my old Elantra for a spin last Sunday and she put a smile on my face.
Old 13th April 2017, 07:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Go for a Nano.

Best City Car:

Easy to get in and out, good visibility overall, tiny and easy to park almost anywhere, does not need a power steering, frugal yet comfortable with a good AC, lots of space to throw your shopping bags into.

Budget:

A 3 to 4 year old model should be under 1 L. It will be in a far better shape than the 9 to 10 year old models of other cars. You can actually negotiate and get a better deal as it does not seem to have as big a resale value as the others.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks