Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2006, 09:40   #1
BHPian

Hi guys,

I'll changing my 2000 model Wagon R in the next few months. I've scanned the landscape of hatchbacks and I've kinda narrowed down to either a swift or a Fusion.Here are my reasons:

1. Getz: I some how dislike the shape and anyways fusion probably scores better that Getz in terms of space and Swift in terms of performance. As for Indica or Fiat palio, I find them extremely bad in service.
2. I'm so used to the so many cubby holes for storage in Wagon R that I'm not so very pleased with Swift. However, Swift is from Maruti and is a great vehicle.
3. Fusion has more space. However, it is from Ford whos A.S.S is not to my liking.
4. I need a good car which is reliable, easy to maintain, will last long( I usually keep cars for about 6 years) and has good space and ofcourse FE.
5. I'm not a great performance enthusiast.

Please help me in choosing a good vehicle

Regards,
lsjey
Old 31st October 2006, 11:58   #2
BHPian

Have you looked at the option of exchanging your WagonR for the Swift?
Old 31st October 2006, 12:19   #3
BHPian

Heart vs Head choice. I was in the same quandary, so were many others I guess. Fusion is fun, but it's from a higher segment, meaning slightly more service & maintenance costs. Relatively poor resale value too.

Head won for me. If you can afford it, buy the Fusion. The Swift Zxi makes the most sense, however.
Old 31st October 2006, 13:58   #4
BHPian

Went through the same dilema earlier this year. Would recommend the Swift Zxi big time. Great ride & comfort, decent FE & great ***.

Fusion looks good but the rear seats are not too comfortable.

Would suggest take a test ride & decide for yourself.

If you want a reliable, value for money car which will still turn heads go for the Red Swift Zxi.

Best of luck!
Old 31st October 2006, 14:02   #5
BHPian

I would go for Fusion for more space and got the same engine as Fieasta which is already making waves. Swift for lower maintenance and better mileage
I had taken a test drive of Fusion some time back and I was really impressed
Old 31st October 2006, 15:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

The only flaw as such in the swift is the relative lack of space compared to its competetors.Have a look for yourself and if you are satisfied with the available space go in for the swift.

Otherwise go for the Getz since apart from the design which you dont like,there is nothing much wrong with this vehicle,you get good space[especially boot], good customer service,lower cost of maintainance than ford.

The fusion inspite of its price cut still is not a very popular especially in our area.High cost of spares,bad customer service etc this good vehicle may not give you a completly satisfactory experience.If you are prepared for this go for the fusion .

My order of preference for you

1>.Swift
2>.Getz
3>.Fusion
Old 31st October 2006, 16:40   #7
BHPian

Hmmm.... So the verdict seems to be clear. My brother in law took a swift today. I drove it for some time. In simple terms it is a great, great car.

I'm set to test drive the fusion and the Getz soon. Will defer my decision till then.

lsjey
Old 31st October 2006, 17:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey
Hi guys,

4. I need a good car which is reliable, easy to maintain, will last long( I usually keep cars for about 6 years) and has good space and ofcourse FE.

Regards,
lsjey
These last two requirements should tilt the balance to the Getz. It is extremely reliable, since Feb 05 I have only changed a fuse, spent zero on maintenance, and , having kept my Santro for five years and 60k kms, I know Hyundais are lasting vehicles. It has loads of space, sit in the back of a Swift to compare and see. FE is so-so I get 12km/litre with AC on 50 per cent of the time.

The Fusion is a great design, but extremely costly to maintain. (A bumper costs almost 15K) It's basically 1.5 lakh more than the Getz, and you really do not get that much more space.

Getz is the sensible alternative, though it may not set your heart on fire like a Swift or a Fusion!
Old 31st October 2006, 18:06   #9
BHPian

I have test driven fusion. hell lotta power and comfort. looks like a concept car from inside. also, lots of advanced features (I drove the original european model), loads of hidden space under the front seats !!

gives around 14 kmpl...kewl enough. I ripped It off till 180 kmph, didn't feel a shake.
Old 31st October 2006, 18:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Best choice is swift VXI If you think value for money, If you need extra safet go for swift ZXI, However If you think fiat gives bad service in recent times service improved a lot, since you can get around 80K to 90K discount on palio 1.2 and also on palio 1.6 it will be worth buy, Red and yellow color on palio look really great, It has great ride and driving comfort. Don't worry about service you get good service from fiat and tata dealers. Choose right service stations you get good service.

However If you don't lke fiat go for swift If you can live with its interior space. It has its own issues but over all its Maruti which rules india right now in automobiles..

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 31st October 2006, 19:33   #11
BHPian

Fusion is a good and roomy vehicle. Its 1.6 engine, though nowhere as fun as the Ikon 1.6, is a decent performer. The discounts further make it VFM. The only downside is the hight cost of spare parts. Not a great performer in the used car market too.
Old 31st October 2006, 19:44   #12
BHPian

1. Swift - The current Hot Car + VFM . U can buy the Swift ZXI and still would be cheaper then Fusion + Cheap spares + Good Maruti A**. Downside very small boot.
2. Getz - Again VFM + has more boot space + Cheap Spares + Good Hyundai A**.
3. Fusioin - Has a more powerful engine then the above 2. Downside not VFM + Expensive spares + Not great Ford A** + High maintenance.

I personally drive Getz and my roommate drives a Swift. Both of us dont have any complaints with our cars. Since you dont like the looks of Getz go for Swift. Unless you are looking for power I would not suggest you to buy Fusion and again if you want power, pick up a palio 1.6 sport. At on road price of about 4.6 L its is approx 2L cheaper then Fusion + with tata dealers doing A** it would be better then Ford. Take a test drive of all the cars and then decide.
Old 31st October 2006, 20:34   #13
BHPian

Fusion is a very good car indeed... I particularly like the rear seat feel...it feels like you are really sitting in a big car... and ground clearance is really good... which is also very important in our roads... (especially when you miss out a road hump...boy it really hurts if GC isnt good )...

But,

I suggest you take a copy of the latest autocar magazine, they have a feature on cost of spare parts... Fusion is the most expensive.infact its pure robbery !!
Old 31st October 2006, 22:29   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey
Hi guys,

I'll changing my 2000 model Wagon R in the next few months. I've scanned the landscape of hatchbacks and I've kinda narrowed down to either a swift or a Fusion.Here are my reasons:

1. Getz: I some how dislike the shape and anyways fusion probably scores better that Getz in terms of space and Swift in terms of performance. As for Indica or Fiat palio, I find them extremely bad in service.
2. I'm so used to the so many cubby holes for storage in Wagon R that I'm not so very pleased with Swift. However, Swift is from Maruti and is a great vehicle.
3. Fusion has more space. However, it is from Ford whos A.S.S is not to my liking.

Please help me in choosing a good vehicle

Regards,
lsjey
Swift it is then, based on your reqs !
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:05   #15
BHPian

Guys,

Thanks for all your feedback.

I've decided on Swift. I test drove one yesterday and was so pleased that I decided against every other vehicle then and there. Here are a few things I noticed in Swift and need some clarification:

1. The view through the inside rear view mirror is very minimal. In fact I feel that this is lesser than that of even my current Wagon R
2. Which version to buy. I can afford the Zxi, but is it really needed
3. What accessories do you guys recommend ( If you can share prices and models spec it will be great)
4. The remote of the keyless entry that comes OE with Swift does not have a cover of switch to protect against accidental pressing of buttons. Any cures for this?

Regards,

lsjey

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks