Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2006, 19:45   #1
BHPian

Note: If you are not interested in reading my short journey towards deciding on a car, then please scroll down to the last para where I really need your help and inputs. Thanks.

Deciding where to post this post took most of my time before I started typing this out. I wondered whether this belongs in which car or advice or review, but finally decided that this would be the best place since its where I started my journey in Team-BHP. Moderators can feel free to move it where you think would be relevant.

My final step to buy a car started last week. I had got my license and now that I was eligible for test drives, my wife and I went to a few nearby showrooms to try out a few cars. It was a sunday and our first stop was the Maruti showroom - Sagar Automobiles Bangalore. We came to know that showrooms are closed on sundays, rather it is partially open and no test drives are entertained. So we just sat inside the cars to get a feel of the space. I tried the swift first. Drivers position was comfortable and I didnt have to push the seat all the way back also. Even the space at the back was good with ample leg room. Next we tried a Wagon R. Drivers position was cramped and my wife complained that even at the back it was uncomfortable. We then moved to an Indica showroom and tried a Xeta. There was ample legroom both front and back and in terms of spaciousness it was a real treat.

But we faced the major obstacle. In both Wagon R and Indica, my legs would hit the steering wheel. I attribute this to taller ride height. Whereas in the Swift it was much better and I only felt that my legs were hitting the steering column. Yesterday we went on the actual Test Drive. I had requested for the Swift and the Wagon R. Somehow I had focussed my mind away from Tata. One reason was that I trusted the quality and service of Maruti more. Another reason was that a friends new Indigo had a problem recenty where his axel broke in the middle of the drive and they luckily escaped serious injuries. So Maruti it was for now.

We drove the Swift for about 20 minutes in the crowded Bannerghatta Road and tho we couldnt get past 3rd gear, the car felt really good and smooth. Pick up was also nice and I was pretty happy with the driver comfort especially after the problem I had with the Santro while learning driving.

Finally we decided on the Swift and didnt even bother about TD'ing the Wagon R. So the model of choice was the Swift VXI. I thought it has the best value for money among the 3 variants. So here is where I need your help.
1) I have heard that we can bargain for more accessories with the car. Now I dont want to ask for ICE, and the car come loaded with pretty good accessories including 15% tinted windows. So what can I ask for? Please let me know what I can ask for and what are usually given by the dealers.
2) We have been offered the car for 4.88 lacs, with 90% funding from HDFC with EMI of ~8000 for 5 years. Is this a good bargain or can we expect better finance schemes from other banks? The finance was dicussed with the HDFC rep at the showroom itself.
3) I read in the paper that car prices will go up next year. So do I go for the car right away(we were planning to book it within this month), or should I wait till december for some offers since it is the year end / christmas?
4) Is the Diesel/Sport or any other car expected anytime soon which would push down the prices of the Swift? Please let me know if you have true info and not just speculation since I intend to buy it within the next few months and dont really want to keep dilly-dallying.
5) I know this is a subjective question, but what do you think of my decision of going for the Swift?

Thanks for your time and patience in reading this post. I know this is a long post and I have asked quite a few questions, but since this is a major investment for me, I thought I would take the liberty of troubling you all a teeny weeny bit.

Thanks In Advance,
Kuku.
Old 12th November 2006, 20:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Car prices are slated to rise next year, and probably would be between 5000 - 8000 for the Swift. If you can wait out for a couple of months, you could get yourself a 2007 registered Swift, which will help your resale more than a 2006 Nov/Dec Swift will. Though I have heard of no firm dates for the price hike, your jump in resale would be worth more than the price hike, I'm sure.

I was offered an EMI of 2096/lakh for a period of 5 years, but I believe another member on the forum was offered 2020/lakh for the same period recently, so I guess they have dropped. You can compare what yours' is with respect to these.

I don't expect a Sport version for many years to come, but the Diesel is slated to launch 2007, and will probably be in April or so. I have heard it to be atleast Rs. 50,000 more expensive than it's corresponding petrol sibling. This is no way, whenever it would happen, push down the prices of the petrol Swift. If you are in need of a diesel hatchback, next year seems more interesting and suggest that you wait it out.

Frankly, the Getz is a better place to be in. Though the Swift's interiors are just as contemporary as the Getz, the quality of Getz interiors is quite a few notches ahead. Also the Getz interior offers more space, and the doors close with a more reassuring thunk than the Swift's, whose doors close with a hollow rattle on the inside. Looks are subjective. If you are a bit of an enthusiast, the Swift works well for you. Though the Getz is more expensive, but I'm sure you can bargain for quite a bit, the sales haven't exactly been setting the charts on fire.
Old 12th November 2006, 21:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp
1) I have heard that we can bargain for more accessories with the car. Now I dont want to ask for ICE, and the car come loaded with pretty good accessories including 15% tinted windows. So what can I ask for? Please let me know what I can ask for and what are usually given by the dealers.
2) We have been offered the car for 4.88 lacs, with 90% funding from HDFC with EMI of ~8000 for 5 years. Is this a good bargain or can we expect better finance schemes from other banks? The finance was dicussed with the HDFC rep at the showroom itself.
3) I read in the paper that car prices will go up next year. So do I go for the car right away(we were planning to book it within this month), or should I wait till december for some offers since it is the year end / christmas?
4) Is the Diesel/Sport or any other car expected anytime soon which would push down the prices of the Swift? Please let me know if you have true info and not just speculation since I intend to buy it within the next few months and dont really want to keep dilly-dallying.
5) I know this is a subjective question, but what do you think of my decision of going for the Swift?
1. You could ask for any of external cosmetic accessories (except sunroof), car cover, 3M car color protective coating (NOT teflon), Remote locking, swap for Zxi alloys+tyres, sprays etc.
Typically the dealer "throws in" 1.5K worth of standard rubber accessories like rubber floor mats and mud flaps.

2. Whats the rate of interest? Is it a reducing balance type? My personal preference is towards loans from particularly nationalized banks like SBI, Syndicate Bank etc. They never have any fine print and what you see is what you get.

3. I dont believe the Swift might be offered with EOY discounts. You're probably better off purchasing it now.

4. The diesel is expected in Jan 07. But, this being your 1st car, the current petrol version is the best bet yet.

5. Great decision. You wont go wrong with it.
Old 13th November 2006, 13:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Decision, just make sure that you get a new manafactured model, check for the date of production on the tyres before taking delivery.

Also regarding the loan, dont think twice but go for an SBI Loan, they are far better than private banks who load the finance terms and confuse you and you pay ultimately more money. Here is a simple comparison

SBI Loan

a) 2100/Lakh for 5 years
b) After 6 or 12 months you can foreclose the loan without any foreclosure charges
c) No Advance EMI, this easily saves you 0.5% of your fixed interest charges
d) Day Diminishing

Private Banks

a) 2050/Lakh for 5 years or less but it isnt true in reality as they load the money in some way or other
b) After 12 months you can foreclose the loan with a 5% pre-closure charges on balance amount
c) 1 Advance EMI, this easily costs you 0.5% of your fixed interest charges
d) Monthly Diminishing

This simple comparison screams out that go for Nationalised banking schemes ( SBI for instance)

Happy Motoring and do let us know which one and what terms you got the finance

Mobike008

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks