Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 13:05   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
deadman, I would also suggest a small hatchback like Alto, Zen, Santro and others.
Do remember that with big cars will come high maintenance cost. And in your budget the car you will get will be either too old or might have high mileage on it or worst case might have been damaged in accident.

Do checkout Team BHP advise on buying used car

If you want car specifically for highway driving I would suggest FIAT Palio.
Though make sure you will get proper service in your city.

Very Good article for used car.... it will sure help me out...
Old 9th December 2006, 15:59   #17
BHPian

As long as visit Team-bhb and do research I'm learning new things day by day.... After launch of Zen estilo I liked the inside view....However Out side it looks to me very bad like future rikshow.
Now i am planing to go for Indigo GVE or GVS version..... Anyone have opinion on this?
Old 9th December 2006, 18:43   #18
BHPian

Woah!...budget went from 1L to Indigo?

Honestly, dont change budgets a lot. You will land up in total confusion.
Keep a very strict budget and +/- 20% should be final.

Then you can consider whether you will get used car or new car for the money. Go for new car if you plan to keep it for long time. Else used cars are very good value if chosen carefully. Esteem is a very good choice for used car.

Good luck!
Old 10th December 2006, 00:39   #19
BHPian

LOL.... Budget went up to get a new car...... I'm planning for long term like 5- 10 years with new car...............Now i'm looking into swift
Old 10th December 2006, 21:05   #20
GTS
BHPian

I know this is hackneyed stuff..but then I have to say it...

Steps that I would recommend before buying a car.

1) First decide if you want to buy a used car or a new one. Having read that great article on buying used cars you should now be in a better informed position.

2)Then think if you would want a SUV/Sedan or a Hatch.

3) Decide if its going to be petrol or diesel. This would depend on your daily commuting distance, weekend outings, yearly long drives. If your usage is less than about 50km per day, stick with the petrol (thats what the gurus in this forum say)

4) Compare specs of each of the shortlisted vehicle by visiting the respective websites. Every company has a pretty decent updated website and most have the price list too. If necessary take a print out of them.

5) Is the car to be used only by you or your family/elders. Coz if elders too use it either to drive or just to be driven, they would not find low seating positions comfortable (eg. Baleno)

6) How much budget can you go up to. Be reasonable in allotting a budget giving room for upping as well as downsizing. Dont jump budgets unnecessarily and in haste for which you might regret later on.

7) Test drive as many vehicles as you want referably in the range of your budget, coz if you drive cars above your budget, you may again feel like upping your budget and go for a segment higher and straining your purse.

8) Talk to your financiers, get a decent deal. Compare finances from a lot other companies too. Better to always go with the branch where you hold your SB or Current account.

9) Finalise your love and go take her. No, not a la Prithiviraj Chauhan ishtyle

10) Once you get you vehicle dont forget to go through the users manual, safety tips etc and always drive with your seat belt on. Dont use your cell phone while driving and if possible stop chatting with that PYT sitting next to you and look ahead of you, concentrate on the road!

As simple as that! But it really isnt that simple buddy:P

Rgds
GTS

PS: Suggestions can come from outside but answers should come from within.
Old 11th December 2006, 06:24   #21
BHPian

Thanks GTS..... As per your steps here is the answers....

Steps that I would recommend before buying a car.

1) Want to go with NEW (As i want to take it for long term atleast 5 to 10 years)....

2) In Sedan I like Indigo GVE/ GVS or in Hatch Estilo / Swift.

3) I will go with petrol as my usage is less than about 50km per week can say that..

4) I done this..... Have to take test drive Compare specs of each of the shortlisted vehicle by visiting the respective websites. Every company has a pretty decent updated website and most have the price list too. If necessary take a print out of them.

5) Only i will use it.

6) My budget will be 4.5 to 5 lac.

7) I Will take Test drive of both of them .

8) I talked with car dealer, Have to talk with my bank...

9) lol

10) Will do as you said..Once you get you vehicle dont forget to go through the users manual, safety tips etc and always drive with your seat belt on. Dont use your cell phone while driving and if possible stop chatting with that PYT sitting next to you and look ahead of you, concentrate on the road!
Old 12th December 2006, 04:35   #22
BHPian

Go for a small car as old and big cars will be heavy on maintenence even if you are able to get one of the big cars like accent ford or lancer cause they will be quite old like 1999 2000 model which around 7 to 8 years old
Old 12th December 2006, 14:22   #23
BHPian

Interesting indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
Thanks GTS..... As per your steps here is the answers....

concentrate on the road!
Are there any tips for handling car dealers and financing guys ? Please make a check list. I keep hearing things like I booked VXi but they gave me XXi what so ever. Make sure the documentation & quotes are checked thorughly. Certain things I can point out

1. Make sure the piece selected by you has not been used for demo,
2. Please drive the one you chose for a few KMs,
3. Be clear about the accessories you buy: Color, brand and specifications. Do enuff research on them too.
4. Find out the details of free services, etc.. and make sure you get the coupons for them

research the discounts being offered by various dealers..
Look at each item in the quote: handling, each accessory, ...
get a price list of spares to get an idea about maintenance costs
check the date of assembly, etc.. to make sure you get one from the latest batch

Please correct/ add team BHP Gurus. Is there a check list to be used while buying new car ?
Old 12th December 2006, 15:10   #24
BHPian

Ye sreenivass. This one is importent one.....

Now this maruti (Inquired for swift) and tata dealer (Inquired for Indigo GVS) started calling me, and telling me they arrange every thing (i mean loan) I said at first i want to learn to drive then i will come there for test drive then decide.....

car cost which shown on internet + About 50k they are telling me on road cost.... (everything will come in that like tax and registration charges) ....How much discount i can ask them? 25k? or more?
Or i can ask for free accessory like music system and all....? Need advice...
Old 12th December 2006, 15:22   #25
Team-BHP Support

If you are buying petrol, avoid indigo. Petrol indigo's sell in much lower numbers.
In 2-3L range you will either get the indica Xeta/ Santro/Estilo/Alto.
Decide how much you want to spend?
For 5-10 years of use Maruti Estilo or Alto is a good bet as Maruti service network is excellent.
As for indigo GVS get atleast 30K discount, but I would suggest a Maruti Swift/Estilo or Hyundai Santro or the Xeta depending on how much you want to spend.
Old 12th December 2006, 15:30   #26
BHPian

Thanks tsk1979.

If i want to go with Maruti Swift then how much discount i can ask?
Old 12th December 2006, 15:51   #27
Team-BHP Support

If you buy in dec you can expect around 15000 in delhi including accessories, not too sure about KA.
Old 12th December 2006, 15:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

You can ask all that you want to ask, but how much will you get is 'very little' since the car is the top selling model in maruthi
Old 12th December 2006, 16:04   #29
BHPian

tsk1979, including accessories ? like what i can ask?
Old 13th December 2006, 01:18   #30
JRD
BHPian

i would say,,
a 94-95 esteem(carb) or a earlier model mpfi zen would be a best fit..
you will find these ranging from 1.20 to 1.50lacs..
these are easy to maintain and part are really cheap.

hope this helps
JRD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks