Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2006, 12:21   #1

Choosing between Estilo & Santro

Hi,

Since the time Estilo have been launched I am getting more confused on the choice of car I should buy for myself. I had earlier somewhat made up my mind of going in for Santro oweing the fact that I have already driven WagonR for around 5 yrs now.
Here is a small list of requirements that I am looking from the car in B segment

1. Family car
2. Good performance (better FE)
3. Technically sound which turns out to be less maintainence & reliability
4. The car would be used for mere family outings (about 50-80kms a week) otherwise I am happy with my bike for daily office commuting in Bangalore traffic.
5. Good highway drive
6. Last but importantly PRICE

Considering the cash discount (25K + anything more you can bargain form dealer)that Santro has for the takers has made me still keep Santro in the contention else I was pretty sure to go in for the new Estilo.

I feel Estilo will score more on Santro on technicals & refinement. But I have not heard anything concrete about their deliveries start date. I dont want to wait for too long like the case of Swift when the delays were more than 3-4 months. Around a month seems ok.

Want some help choose among the two.

Also want some info about general Maruti vs Hyundai A.S.S & dealership
I am looking at Advaith Motors for Santro & Sagar Automobiles for Estilo. Chosen both due to the availability of service centers on Bannerghatta Road where I stay.

Looking forward for some help from you all.
Old 9th December 2006, 12:51   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its too early to pass a comment on the Estilo...I would suggest waiting until some Team-BHPians drive / post reviews.

Its anyways December, and would do you good to wait until January before you book.
Old 9th December 2006, 12:59   #3

I feel that since there is nothing new that has come up in Estilo except the looks everything else is pretty much taken from other cars in the Maruti stable most importantly the 1061cc engine taken from new WagonR. So I feel it would be more like the new wagonR in terms of performance.
Forgot to mention earlier that I was pretty happy with my previous WagonR which I left back in Delhi while moving to Bangalore. But now just want to give a try to a change

I would have loved to wait but the extra discount on Santro & the so called "introductory price" of Estilo( I am not sure if these are discounted prices) is forcing me to taken a decision sooner than later.
Moreover price hikes for all these car & insurance hikes are just round the corner.
Old 9th December 2006, 13:04   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

the other day i saw the estilo on road, probably a test vehicle or maybe the deliveries have start. It seemed like the base model in red color. The car looked puny and very feminine i'd say look at the new WagonR its new and has got all the gizmos. Hyundai would be thinking bout upgrading the Xing with the estilo and the new wagonR in the market.
Old 9th December 2006, 13:49   #5
BHPian

i agree with aza , i saw a blue one yesterday and it was not a testcar so i guess th edeliveries have started and it did look a little feminine and it almost looks like a wagonr. but the wagonr is still much better looking then the estilo. so if its looks you want then dont go for otherwise wait for the full feedback on it.

a far as a xing is concerned i think a new xing is in the pipeline and will be launched shortly so if u can then wait for it.!

sandy
Old 9th December 2006, 14:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

This months AutocarIndia has spied on a new santro...

So, i guess its better to stay away from the Santro, unless you want to have your car in the outdated list in five- six months...

And:- Why are you planning to buy a santro when you have the wagonR already???
Old 9th December 2006, 17:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

rana... you saw the Estilo in flesh?

carzy, the Santro maybe here by mid 07 or later and maybe even with a 70bhp Crdi engine!
Old 9th December 2006, 18:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'd anyday prefer the japanese Estilo to the Korean Santro. Thats me.
Moi and n_aditya visited the showroom today. There was no test-drive vehicle available.The car is pretty ergonomic for my size(Im a XXL size).The gear-shift was very slick.A few colours available were quite girlish(a la scooty pep).

Its a nice "shopping" car.
Old 9th December 2006, 18:44   #9
BHPian

hummmm lets see whatever i wanted to say bout it has already been said here

.girlish/feminine
.its not good looks wise
.punny
.wagon r and santro are better options

ummmm so all i can add now is that i saw one in a light blueish mintish kinda shade that too i guess was the high end model as it had wheel covers and fog lamps
it looked ok ,not to good not too bad ,so if performance wise its good then you can go for it.!

cheers
faithless
Old 9th December 2006, 18:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

ooopppss sorry guys big mistake , the thing is i was at my friends place (newbie - Hellraiser ) and he was loged onto t-bhp with his ID and we were both going through the forum.

then i decided to post through my id but forgot to Log Out hellraiser first

so when the post will appear after approval of the mods (he is a newbie) my name is Gonna be there at the end but with his id so to avoid confusion am clearing it out for you guys.!!

again am sorry for this

cheers
faithless

p.s- my comments about estilo are in that post
Old 9th December 2006, 19:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a cheaper better looking Wagon R - nothing more. The top end version should be a better bet over the similar Santro. Besides, its newer than the Santro too.
Old 9th December 2006, 20:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
rana... you saw the Estilo in flesh?

carzy, the Santro maybe here by mid 07 or later and maybe even with a 70bhp Crdi engine!
Dont think so...

Santro wont be out with CRDi initially... Even the Getz CRDi will be after mid 07...
Old 9th December 2006, 20:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Santro is very good City car and winner on highway too compared to its compitetion, I hate Santro just for its bad suspension else I would have never sold it.

About estilo its too early to say since its new product, but its same as wagonR and better looking since it uses almost all platform/engine/chasis of wagonR.

I suggest you wait and watch Aveo UVA, new Pailo. If you have patience I am sure New Matiz might be well worth a wait but not sure right now.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th December 2006, 05:30   #14
BANNED

I would just recommend you to stay away from the current Santro by all means since even if it is compared to the new WagonR, it's not a VFM proportion.

Since you are currently having a WagonR, I would just recommend you a brand new Estilo although waiting for 2-3 months to know how the new car fares is not at all a bad idea.

And don't worry about the discounts it will always be there. Even if MU increases the price of Estilo, you'll surely get Estilo after 3-4 months at the current introductory price since discounts will always be there at any point of time. Look the case of Swift & WagonR
Old 11th December 2006, 08:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

The estilo promises quite a lot & Maruthi can be trusted not to release a loser

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks