Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2006, 23:18   #1

Help me out

Hi!

Just joined this forum.Although not a car driver myself but planning to buy a car for myself.I am more into bikes. One of my freinds advised me to take the advice from the experts. So here Iam!

Went to see the Maruti Dealer today to have a test drive of SWIFT Good car but my friend suggests me to go for a palio.He has a Palio 1.6S10.I also like that car as it comes fromthe stable of Ferrari (Shumi is GOD!).

Please suggest me.Only thing that is stopping me is the budget(Although I am getting a discount of 87K from my comapny on Palio).The price almost the same for a Palio(after the discount) and the SWIFT.

Please suggest I have time only till the 20th

Regards,
Neeraj

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.
Old 13th December 2006, 23:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard, Neeraj! Looks like your heart says Palio?
Your first car should ideally be a Maruti for its after sales support and the Red Swift isnt too bad!
Old 14th December 2006, 03:18   #3
BHPian

Welcome aboard.Pls list your need,expectations and budget..(refer some previous threads in the same section)..
Old 14th December 2006, 10:03   #4
BHPian

Hi Augustus, the Swift is a very nice and enthusiastic car to drive, with sweet handling. It is not as powerful as the Palio 1.6, but it is driver friendly.

Plus you would get better FE, and cheap and hassle-free maintenance, a more modern design, as well as more safety with ABS and airbags plus a whole lot of other goodies on the Zxi trim.

The Palio 1.6 is on its way out, and is recommended only if you have set your heart on it, and are willing to take some pains to keep it for a long time.
Old 14th December 2006, 11:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Augustus, this being your first car, you should avoid the Fiat. Else it might be your last car also.

Go in for the Maruti.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Neeraj, welcome to tbhp.

It will help the "experts" in giving a good suggestion if you list down what you expect from your car (looks, FE, power), approximate usage in kms/month etc. Check out a few other threads in "What car?" section and you would get an idea.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:26   #7
BHPian

Neeraj, list down your expectation from the car. Swift's base model is little bit pricer than Palio 1.2 NV model. Palio is the car for the person who loves driving, its a totally drivers car. One of my friend having palio, now he want to go with other hatch. He has driven Getz, Santro and WegonR but he did not like any one of them as compare to his palio 1.2. Palio's city mileage is 10-11 100% AC, highway you can expect 15+ with 100% AC. Now fiat service is not a problem after TATA-FIAT tieup.
Old 15th December 2006, 01:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus23 View Post

Went to see the Maruti Dealer today to have a test drive of SWIFT Good car but my friend suggests me to go for a palio.He has a Palio 1.6S10.I also like that car as it comes fromthe stable of Ferrari (Shumi is GOD!).

Please suggest me.Only thing that is stopping me is the budget(Although I am getting a discount of 87K from my comapny on Palio).The price almost the same for a Palio(after the discount) and the SWIFT.

Regards,
Neeraj
Now isn't the answer in the query itself so what is stopping you from buying the palio
Old 15th December 2006, 11:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus23 View Post
Hi!
Finding Palio spare parts in Indore would be a problem.
I would recommend that you go for Swift as this is your
first car.

BTW, have you taken a test drive of Palio ? (you haven't
explicitely mentioned that in your post)
Old 15th December 2006, 12:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Swift is a better option to buy, Latest,trendy, good looks, comfort riding and very smooth and FE.(Blue colour looks wild). though less power than the Palio 1.6.
Old 15th December 2006, 14:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Most palio users are fiat fans, so if you are one, get a palio, but think twice before you do that. Just let your head boss over the heart for a little while & you might make a sensible choice.
Old 18th December 2006, 16:31   #12
BHPian

I would suggest Maruti Swift....Palio has service issues and low FE. You might get a shock of life seeing the fuel bills considering the fact that you are migrating from a two wheeler to a Palio....Its worth looking at Wagon R too...
Old 18th December 2006, 18:14   #13
BHPian

Make a sensible decision,buy the Swift.
A few things might rattle or may stop working,but its ok.Buy the Swift.
Its a bit sluggish at low rpms,and at times you would need to switch off the a/c so that you can overtake ,but even thats fine,buy the Swift.
Its cheap to maintain? Nope,it may be hassle free but may not be cheap to maintain.It has the highest prices for spares w.r.t the entire segment.
Is it as spacious and comfortable as the Palio? Nope again,it just looks huge on the outside,but isn't so on the inside.

We Fiat Lovers make senseless decisions and end up in deep trouble most of the times.In my case,we've owned two Palios.So I'm doubly senseless!!

Sure enough Palio is not the best car.It does have some flaws.But the Swift isn't perfect.We have witnessed the same on our forum.So why does it have to be Swift's/Getz's strenghts V/s Palio's weaknesses?Why cant members point out the strenghts and weaknesses of each car?

Anyways,Augustus,If heart and mind are set on a Palio,do buy it.Its a beautiful car to own and drive.But there could be issue w.r.t availability of spares.Since you have a friend who owns an S10,I think you can take his opinion on service and spares.Also,be advised that the Palio 1.6 may not be in production in future,though the same engine might do service in a Petra and Adventure.It would be good if you could wait for the new Palio 1.1 which should be launched in a months time or so.

Last edited by roms : 18th December 2006 at 18:18.
Old 18th December 2006, 20:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.6, a dream machine will not be available... I believe all the stock is cleared out... FIAT is coming up with 1.1 L facelifted Palio in Jan. Though the most disappointing thing I heard is, its interiors are not changed.. Anyways if you are fan of 1.6 engine, go for Adventure or Petra.. Anyways, if you want a smooth service with a "not so much" fun to drive car, go for Swift/Getz..

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport
Old 18th December 2006, 20:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Buy Swift for its looks, wherever you go MUL service network is there, MUL has fixed few things in Swift thats being manufactured from last few months. Swift has better Fuel economy. easy to drive, good seating support although its cramped inside.

Buy Palio for its great qulity, great build, great suspension/ride/comfort, less maintenance cost, backed up by TATA, spacious seating, better boot spce,less initial cost because of the discounts.

New palio is coming in 3 weeks but it won't create much difference I feel.

I owned Swift for 9 months I faced many problems its sensitive to bad fuel (agreed by MUL guys), it has lot of rattlign issues, quiet ok suspension, coslty to maintain, not so great build quality, vibration/jerk issues/ sluggish too much in city driving, maruti service quality coming down day by day .because of too much of sales by giving hefty discounts...

Maruti car is ideal for a person who don't notice minor issues.

What I realized after owning 2 MUL cars , 1 Hyundai car, 1 toyota car one can find one or other mistake in Maruti car, one can't notice the issue in Hyundai car although some issue is there. One can't find anything wrong with Toyota cars. Same feelings expressed by my freinds / my guys as well.

If you consider value buy (resale value, initial investment, fuel economy, looks) go for Maruti cars.

If you want solid car go for Palio.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks