Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2018, 13:57   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Go for back to back test drives of all the cars and the choice would speak for itself. Do try all of them on inclines. Responses from some of them might surprise you.

Reiterating - test drive them back to back.

When I was out shopping for one (AMT hatch), I had a similar shortlist and had almost picked the Ignis. But plans got shelved for some other reasons.

PS: Why don't you request the mods to add a poll to the thread with your shortlists as options?
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 12:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
If you are in for a practical automatic, your budget will cover an amazing range of cars - just be open to pre-owned
I am sure they will tick all your boxes, and then some more too!

allow me to add:
6. Automatic Honda City, Toyota Corolla, Civics, Ciaz, Xcent, the works.

In our team (at work) we successfully bought used cars as our second cars and got some amazing VFM deals for the time & effort spent.

Etios, Honda City, practically unused i10 grand -- all under 5 Lakh (each).
I got me a nimble go kart Santro for shade under 95k INR. (thanks to team-bhp pre-owned threads, inputs from ir0nh4wk, Suhaas & team)

For motivation, do read up on the pre-owned cars & prices threads here.
I would say, spend 450k and keep the 50k for maintenance & modifications per your taste.
Changeover after 3-5 years.

Cheers,

Ace.
Absolutely AGREE.
An used Honda City AT ,if sedan is ok.The bigger engine and proper AT will give you your money’s worth.
Resale value of the said car is good as women drivers in urban areas prefer it.
Purchased one in Hyderabad for 6 lakhs with 65000km done.New tyres,battery and proper maintenance.
Say a 2010 or 2011 should be available in your budget.
For me AT should be a proper AT.
greendream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 16:16   #18
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs everyone !!

In quest of an AMT, I happened to Drive the following vehicles and have classified them as per my liking.
  • Renault Kwid AMT
  • ALTO K10 AMT
  • DATSUN REDI-GO
To cramped for my liking and would be a compromise on all ends and thus did not go for it. The AMT had a lot of lag and disappointed me.
  • CELERIO
  • WAGON-R
Was much better spaced out and felt better. Though I was not impressed with the AMT and the engine's smoothness of these vehicles. Not for the spirited drivers !!
  • TIAGO
  • IGNIS
Very plush vehicles with pretty much responsive engines and well synced with the AMT provided. However, I felt that the Tiago had an engine growl in idling also which was very unlike a Petrol Car. The IGNIS on the other hand was the Best of the lot and was an enjoyable drive.

But, I guess the AMT is not meant for me. I needed another cylinder and a CVT transmission for sure !! Forgetting the fact that I was not ready for the damage to the pocket for this.

So, then the hunt for a pre-worshiped CVT started and after a lot of permutation, combinations & deliberations I finalized on sparingly used 2015 Honda BRIO VX AT for my wife. It ticked all the boxes for us and was a very well maintained car with the Odo at 8300Kms only !

Sharing a picture of our Brio :
Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs-p_20180329_193602.jpg

Already munched approximately a 1000Kms in 10 days time on this and I am really finding it fun and easy to drive in the city traffic. Being pre-occupied on the phone and with work on the go it is a blessing in disguise to drive the BRIO. Will clock 10,000Kms mark soon and then hand it over to wifey after a periodical service

Ownership Thread to start soon !!

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 9th April 2018 at 16:17. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 16:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your new acquisition. Wish you many happy miles with your car. A 2015 Brio with just 8500 on Odo is a sweet deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Ownership Thread to start soon !!
Eagerly waiting!
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 06:48   #20
BHPian

Ignis Vs Tigor AMT

Small car for city driving, mainly to be used by wife.

Requirements - 1. Automatic 2. Small footprint to park in tight spots of Pune city 3. Pocket friendly to run (read acceptable mileage in city) 4. Not harsh on maintenance demands - frequency and bill both.

I have not listed other parameters like airbags, abs etc. as these are not considerations. The car ought to have it by default.

Given above considerations, I have zeroed down on Ignis Delta and Tigor ZXI (or Tiago ZXI).
Ruled out other contenders like
1. Celerio (wife didn't like),
2. Wagon R (already have one),
3. Kwid (I liked it but despite four calls, no one was ready to arrange for test drive)
4. Alto (too basic, wife already drives alto manual so new alto won't be an upgrade).
5. Ruled out i10 for fuel consumption figures. I have no real world data though. This is from what I saw in the console of TD car.

Now, I am confused btwn Tata siblings and Ignis.
I TD'ed all three.
What I liked
1. Ignis - space and headroom. I have driven Maruti cars since 2005, and have that peace of mind feeling.
2. Tiago - small footprint
3. Tigor - that feeling of getting a compact sedan for the same price of a hatchback (Ignis).

Both me and my wife found Ignis drive to be better than Tata siblings.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 08:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ignis Vs Tigor AMT

Great choice both #1 & #2

IMHO Price delivery and service support should now form basis for the next step.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 08:36   #22
BHPian

There isn't much difference between owning the two, reliability-wise or cost wise. Both Tata and Maruti are at par in that respect. The difference is in the construction quality and features list.

A general perception is that a Tata car is structurally more well built than a Maruti car. The Tiago / Tigor is no exception to that. However the lower variants of these two cars do not come equipped with airbags or ABS. The Ignis however offers these two must have features as a standard across the range.

Given your requirement, I'd suggest you the Tiago (over the Ignis as well as the Tigor), since it will give you an added advantage of safety on the occasional highway runs.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 08:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Isnt Tiago much cheaper than the Ignis? It should save you about a lakh or so. Or am I missing something?
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 11:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Great choice both #1 & #2

IMHO Price delivery and service support should now form basis for the next step.
Thanks Sudev. That is where I am stuck. I have driven three Maruti cars - M800 to Ciaz for last 14 years and have that peace of mind feeling. I have also owned Indica V2 petrol for 6 years and 60k KMs. It was a good car, didnt give me trouble till I crossed 55k KMs after which AC had a problem, console lights lit up randomly for "check engine" but service guys didnt find any problem and so on. Personally, I found Indica to be very comfortable on so many long rides I enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
There isn't much difference between owning the two, reliability-wise or cost wise. Both Tata and Maruti are at par in that respect. The difference is in the construction quality and features list.
I partly concur with you. As explained above, I was happy Indica V2 petrol till 55k KMs after which problems started. My wife is driving Alto for last 7 years and has no breakdowns, and car has gone to service station only for routine servicing. That makes me inclined towards Maruti. But using a dipstick for a 2005 Tata vs 2018 Tata car is another thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Isnt Tiago much cheaper than the Ignis? It should save you about a lakh or so. Or am I missing something?
Sorry, I mis-quoted the model. I meant Ignis Zeta (top-1) model to compare with Tigor XZA (top model). Price-wise Ignis Zeta and Tigor XZA almost are same. Tiago XZA is almost a lakh less, but right now that is not a major factor to tilt a deal either side.

The more I think, the more I get confused. Here is what I found in two back to back TDs and trying to answer most questions myself
(Tigor was not driven as dealer had only Tiago TD vehicle available).
1. Ride
1.1 - standstill to crawl - Ignis started well. Remove the foot slightly from brake pedal and car started to crawl slowly (fwd and reverse both) where as for Tiago, I had to press accelerator. Not sure if that was a TD model issue or a Tata feature. But I found Ignis better here
1.2 - gearshifts - Ignis had smooth gearshifts for both auto and manual shifts. Pickup for Ignis I found better in normal mode. Tiago (and Tigor) offers Sports mode, and I found that quick enough for tight overtakes.
2. Interiors - This is very subjective but here what I saw
2.1 - Front seats - two front seats has very appealing and busy central console in Tiago (and Tigor). It would appeal to most folks and I too quite liked it. Ignis dashboard has very straight lines and feels plain and simple. It also appealed me with simplistic looks. White is going to be difficult for owners to maintain. I have indifferent feeling as I liked both equally. Ignis seats had better bolstering and better thigh and lumber support. None of these cars offer adjustable lumber support. Tiago (and Tigor) scores more here with seat height adjust. Wife found standard seat height on Ignis adequate and didn't feel the need to do height adjust.
2.2 - Rear seats - My parents found rear seats more comfortable in Ignis compared to Tiago. Tigor has more legroom than Tiago and Ignis. Getting in and out of Ignis for parents was better than Tiago.[indent][indent]2.3 - Driver seat - This is going to be driven by my wife in Pune city mostly. Controls are well placed in both Ignis and Tiago.
2.4 - Bootspace - Both Ignis and Tiago has adequate space for a the requirement. Tiago definitely has more space and would score more here. Do I need that space is a question. I have Ciaz for longer drives with quite a large boot.
Exterior - As per my father "Tiago looks like a normal car, Ignis stands out amongst other cars" Though a layman viewpoint rather than a car expert's view, I quite agree with him.
Where Tiago (and Tigor) scores more against Ignis is price (Tiago is a lakh more and Tigor at same price offers more bootspace) to value as well as music system experience.
where Ignis scores more is on that "peace of mind" feeling - having owned four Marutis and one Tata earlier, dealership network and resale value. Maintenance schedule for Ignis is once a year vs Twice a year for Tiago / Tigor. That means I may be spending about 5k more every year on a Tata (extrapolating to 35k for a seven year ownership period)

I am in no position to comment on build quality of Tata vs Maruti, long run whether Tatas would rattle more or Maruti OR body build quality for Tata vs Maruti etc. My Indica didn't rattle for six years, so is Alto in seven years or M-800 for 10 years or Wagon R for four years.
advaitlele is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 21:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Give a vote to Tata this time. They have come a long way from day's of Indica
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 11:51   #26
BHPian

Booked Ignis Zeta automatic and now waiting for delivery. Predominantly based on the feedback from wife as she is going to drive it.
Delivery scheduled next week, early impressions and ownership review follows.
Thanks guys for the feedback and suggestions.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 15:25   #27
BHPian

Hi

Looking for a small & automatic transmission (AT or AMT) hatchback for my wife. This will be her daily drive to work & back, a distance of approximately 6-7kms.
Since she's new to driving, would prefer a small hatchback in the less than 7-7.5L budget.
We started with Celerio AMT, but that looked so bare with the flimsy build & lack of features, and also the unnerving shudder of AMT (coming from a Verna CRDi lover!).
Did check out new Swift at Arena showroom & was taken aback by the flimsy intererior plastics and overall tinny feeling.
No Kwid (quirky, as felt by wifey), or Tiago (Tata!).
Having seen Grand i10 Magna/Sports AT, also checked out Ignis Zeta AMT (again quirky).
We are more or less decided on Grand i10 Sports AT, as the cabin is much more premium & well built, and the smooth AT. Overall quality, ergonomics, feature list and the decent discounts that Advaith Hyundai (ORR) is offering, has definitely won us over.

I have one doubt though. Is there any news of a relaunch or another round of facelift on cards for Grand i10? Especially with new Santro expected by Diwali.
Secondly, are there any other good options that we're missing out?
Thanks in advance
kosh4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 19:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
Hi

Looking for a small & automatic transmission (AT or AMT) hatchback for my wife. This will be her daily drive to work & back, a distance of approximately 6-7kms.
Since she's new to driving, would prefer a small hatchback in the less than 7-7.5L budget.
We started with Celerio AMT, but that looked so bare with the flimsy build & lack of features, and also the unnerving shudder of AMT (coming from a Verna CRDi lover!).
Did check out new Swift at Arena showroom & was taken aback by the flimsy intererior plastics and overall tinny feeling.
No Kwid (quirky, as felt by wifey), or Tiago (Tata!).
Having seen Grand i10 Magna/Sports AT, also checked out Ignis Zeta AMT (again quirky).
We are more or less decided on Grand i10 Sports AT, as the cabin is much more premium & well built, and the smooth AT. Overall quality, ergonomics, feature list and the decent discounts that Advaith Hyundai (ORR) is offering, has definitely won us over.

I have one doubt though. Is there any news of a relaunch or another round of facelift on cards for Grand i10? Especially with new Santro expected by Diwali.
Secondly, are there any other good options that we're missing out?
Thanks in advance
Hi, which car did you finally get ?
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Hi, which car did you finally get ?

Hi

We went for Hyundai Grand i10 Sports AT, after much evaluation. Both me & spouse liked the overall finish, build quality and the features of the car.
Further, the overall benefits that Advaith Hyundai (Outer Ring Rd, B'lore) had offered helped us to close the deal.

Although the car is sparingly used, we are very happy with our choice. It is pretty smooth & linear in power delivery, although you miss the possibility of quick downshifting for ease of overtaking. But then that's the trade-off for convenience. Car feels well built, even when we go over pothole filled Bangalore roads

Note: I had to pick up some 30 cartons of Good Life/ tetra packs of milk & some milk powder etc, as relief material for Kerala floods. This had to be done on a short notice & i couldn't go and get my Verna. Having folded the rear seat flat, i could easily load the boxes & the car had no complaints whatsoever in easily managing speed-breakers etc. It was really impressive

thank you

Last edited by kosh4u : 23rd August 2018 at 18:46.
kosh4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
Hi

although you miss the possibility of quick downshifting for ease of overtaking. But then that's the trade-off for convenience.

Kickdown should enable quick downshifting. Car also has manual override, isn't it?
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed