Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2019, 07:59   #46
BHPian
 
DPetrolHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Delhi
Posts: 58
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
except alpha which @ 9.1 OTR in Bangalore just does not make sense. Wife is used to manual and not very keep towards amt as going by few test drives she is taken, she found that the car was doing its own things and not fully in her control. So plan to test drive the manual tiago XZ+ which is loaded with features. Also considering JTP as well and will try and test drive if available.
I might be wrong but I just checked Ignis Alpha AMT OTR price in Bangalore to be 8.64 lakhs( via CarWale app). Please confirm this.
You must be getting some good discounts too on the Ignis? I am expecting in a ballpark of 1 lakh, probably even more if you are exchanging your Alto with them. All this might give you better overall deal for it I guess.

But you are considering Tiago JTP now, so won't suggest anything other than that beauty
I have driven the Tigor JTP, and I can assure you the low end drivablity is much better than expected from a turbo petrol engine.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 12:02   #47
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 954
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Quote:
If not comfortable with AMT, would suggest to try out one of the CVT's. Baleno, Jazz, i20. With the way Bangalore traffic is going, an automatic makes the best sense.
After the drive (on the manual i20) from home to sakra hospital yesterday which took 75 minutes to cover a distance of 6 kms, we are back to debating between an automatic and manual. For the kind of madness which we faced in the name of traffic yesterday, an automatic is always going to make more sense. And thats where most of the life the car is going to spend. May go on trips outside Bangalore and see the highway rarely like two to three times a year. The intent is a small car to replace the ageing alto, having more or less similar size but better on safely and other features. Thats where the likes of tiago were appealing.

Quote:

I might be wrong but I just checked Ignis Alpha AMT OTR price in Bangalore to be 8.64 lakhs( via CarWale app). Please confirm this.
You must be getting some good discounts too on the Ignis? I am expecting in a ballpark of 1 lakh, probably even more if you are exchanging your Alto with them. All this might give you better overall deal for it I guess.
No no.. The 2019 Ignis alpha amt OT was given as 9.18L on paper just this last sunday. 2018 ones are available on discount, but just two pieces where the colour and variant is not aligned with what we were inquiring for.

Quote:
But you are considering Tiago JTP now, so won't suggest anything other than that beauty
I have driven the Tigor JTP, and I can assure you the low end drivablity is much better than expected from a turbo petrol engine.
We are sold on this JTP too. The confusion arises when we position the car in our traffic and mentally evaluate it against an automatic. Decisions! Decisions!! Will try and test drive a few more this weekend and hope for some clarity.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 14:56   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,842
Thanked: 2,527 Times
Default Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Decisions! Decisions!! Will try and test drive a few more this weekend and hope for some clarity.
VW Polo GT TSI - Case closed. Safety, Good looking, Automatic, Great power, smooth petrol.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 14:40   #49
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 954
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
VW Polo GT TSI - Case closed. Safety, Good looking, Automatic, Great power, smooth petrol.
Much beyond budget.. and Versys is not yet sold.. if it was, could have used some fund from there. (kidding). Leaning towards Tiago XZA. Decision would have been slightly easier if there was a XZA+.

Why do most manufacturers shy away from giving a top-of-the line variant in Automatic?
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 15:00   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,842
Thanked: 2,527 Times
Default Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Much beyond budget.. and Versys is not yet sold.. if it was, could have used some fund from there. (kidding). Leaning towards Tiago XZA. Decision would have been slightly easier if there was a XZA+.

Why do most manufacturers shy away from giving a top-of-the line variant in Automatic?
You are always trying to take some budget away from the Versys. I wonder what that poor bike did to you.

How much is the TSI working out to? That's a beautiful car to get. Anyway, you keep cars for life looking at how long you flogged the alto, and VW now has a 7 year extended warranty which makes buying this a no brainer.

I still say go for the VW Polo TSI. Have you test driven it? I think its like 7 ex showroom, and you might get some very good discount deals on it for the 2018 car.

Go to Palace Road VW...everyone here seems to be recommending them.

PS: Tiago facelift coming in a few months max. By the middle of this year you'll be driving a prev gen tiago. Not worth it.

PS2: I don't know what I am doing in the small car section

Last edited by Red Liner : 14th February 2019 at 15:05.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 16:31   #51
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 954
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Quote:
I think its like 7 ex showroom, and you might get some very good discount deals on it for the 2018 car.
TSI Petrol starts at INR 939500/- EX SHOWROOM.
And its mainly going to be used by my wife who is a sedate and slow driver, and not an enthusiast to use the GT to its potential. To being with , she is ok with the alto and not very keen to go for a new car. Its me who is insisting on something safer and bit more feature rich. So Polo GT TSI may be an overkill.
PS: Yeah, Tiago is due for a facelift. Can wait a bit if required. No great hurry.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 14th February 2019 at 16:34.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 17:01   #52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
After the drive (on the manual i20) from home to sakra hospital yesterday which took 75 minutes to cover a distance of 6 kms, we are back to debating between an automatic and manual. For the kind of madness which we faced in the name of traffic yesterday, an automatic is always going to make more sense. .......is weekend and hope for some clarity.
I stay close to Sakra, i went through the same pain. I took a decision of selling my Baleno (old, 1.6 suzuki) and bought a amt kwid. Regret it. Should have kept the baleno and bought a amt nano. Nano, cheap peaceful within the city. Keep your existing car for long drives..
vijayrajthampi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 18:14   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 243 Times
Default Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Wife is used to manual and not very keep towards amt as going by few test drives she is taken, she found that the car was doing its own things and not fully in her control.
The AMT is to be treated as a manual with car/computer doing the clutch pressing. So best way to be in control is to change gears just like a manual where you lift off the accelerator (it will upshift with least jerk) or understand the rev points where it shifts to anticipate the jerks. Best use manual mode in AMT whenever you want to upshift, pull/push at the lever so you are in better control. It anyway downshifts automatically. Try another test drive with this in mind.


Basically every AT has its downsides:
  • TQ: Slushy but best suited for highways, overheats in traffic, expensive to repair/replace
  • DCT: Best but plagued with reliability issues and also bad in traffic - jerky and again expensive to repair/replace
  • CVT: Behaves like a rubber band is connected between engine and wheels.
  • AMT: Always jerky, you will feel a learner is driving - still needs a lot of refinement, questionable longevity but cheap to own/repair.
But convenience of AT is unparalleled for normal drivers. Santro/Wagon R AMT may be best suited within your budget.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 14th February 2019 at 18:15.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petrol Hatchback That "Looks Smart", Within 7.5 Lakhs SS-Traveller Hatchbacks 46 28th March 2010 03:04
Confused as which car to buy. Budget 10 Lakhs anuprav What Car? 67 26th November 2009 10:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks