Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2018, 00:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Kickdown should enable quick downshifting. Car also has manual override, isn't it?
Agreed. Maybe not quick enough for my liking.
A typical case of being brought up on manual transmission & then there’s that wicked turbo madness of Verna. Am spoiled by that
kosh4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 15:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
The Tiago is the best AMT car you can get at this price range. Beats the Ignis in every possible way. The only grouse with the Tiago is the 3 cylinder engine versus the Ignis’s 1.2 L 4 cylinder. However, the Tiago makes up with it’s fantastic build quality, equipment and well put together interiors.
+1.

I went through this self-same search myself and have just booked the Tata Tiago XZA. The choice largely boiled down to the 2 main AMT contenders Celerio and Tiago.

To be honest, once I sat in the Tiago I was impressed. I pegged it as my benchmark. I was looking for an A to B, city commuter. Period. Office and back seemed more promising with those interiors, the Harmann Kardon, and metal to take the occasional mild city hit. For everything else there's the 1.2L K series manual.

The drive too seemed better than the Celerio, perhaps because of the engine capacity as many experts here have pointed out? This made it a no-brainer. Talking of the drive experience, here's my other opinion - I did not enjoy the CVT because of the rubber-band effect. So far I'd just read about this on our forum but a couple of days back I tested the Yaris and I just couldn't settle with the response (or lack of it) on flooring the throttle. With the AMT, you at least have a Sport mode that sounds like it's doing something.

So the Tiago it was.
DrSumit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 15:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
Hi

We went for Hyundai Grand i10 Sports AT, after much evaluation. Both me & spouse liked the overall finish, build quality and the features of the car.
Further, the overall benefits that Advaith Hyundai (Outer Ring Rd, B'lore) had offered helped us to close the deal.

Although the car is sparingly used, we are very happy with our choice. It is pretty smooth & linear in power delivery, although you miss the possibility of quick downshifting for ease of overtaking. But then that's the trade-off for convenience. Car feels well built, even when we go over pothole filled Bangalore roads

Note: I had to pick up some 30 cartons of Good Life/ tetra packs of milk & some milk powder etc, as relief material for Kerala floods. This had to be done on a short notice & i couldn't go and get my Verna. Having folded the rear seat flat, i could easily load the boxes & the car had no complaints whatsoever in easily managing speed-breakers etc. It was really impressive

thank you
Oh alright that's great. Verna is in another league and can not be compared to this segment I guess but for our spouses this is more than enough

I too have a Verna and now booked the Tiago. Actually Tiago was not even in my consideration but once I TD'd it after the i10 I was really impressed and also with a price difference of 1 Lakh I thought Tiago was more VFM.
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 15:32   #34
BHPian

I am scouting for a Petrol Automatic Car for my wife. My budget is 5 lakhs and can take it upto say 6 lakhs max - provided it is worth the extension.

My criteria beyond Automatic and of course a compact car would be
1. Safety - id rather buy the safest when it comes to built and technology (Airbags), I am not sure whether any cars in the range gives an ISOFIX for the rear seats.
2. Fuel Efficiency - yeah, my other car is a Diesel manual Ecosport - Id need competing numbers here
3. Maintenance Costs - most of the small cars / hatchbacks I know have an automatic transmission.

The reason being there are many cars and there are many coming out. Based on my info my list has only a few cars and i am yet to do test drives of any cars for the same.

Last time I went out was to help my brother in law buy a CVT Jazz. I had tried only Baleno, Grand i10, Tiago (manual) then.

Current list includes only :
1. Tiago AMT (personal favorite)
2. Hyundai Santro AMT
3. Renault Kwid

anything else in the band ?
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 00:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I am scouting for a Petrol Automatic Car for my wife. My budget is 5 lakhs and can take it upto say 6 lakhs max - provided it is worth the extension.

My criteria beyond Automatic and of course a compact car would be
1. Safety - id rather buy the safest when it comes to built and technology (Airbags), I am not sure whether any cars in the range gives an ISOFIX for the rear seats.
2. Fuel Efficiency - yeah, my other car is a Diesel manual Ecosport - Id need competing numbers here
3. Maintenance Costs - most of the small cars / hatchbacks I know have an automatic transmission.

The reason being there are many cars and there are many coming out. Based on my info my list has only a few cars and i am yet to do test drives of any cars for the same.

Last time I went out was to help my brother in law buy a CVT Jazz. I had tried only Baleno, Grand i10, Tiago (manual) then.

Current list includes only :
1. Tiago AMT (personal favorite)
2. Hyundai Santro AMT
3. Renault Kwid

anything else in the band ?
Go for your personal favourite i.e the tiago amt for its great build quality and overall vfm package. Choose XZA over XTA variant as it doesn't provide you with airbags. I'm, although , not quite sure about the FE figures of the tiago and reliability might be a gamble too.

The Santro is a good product but is quite overpriced for what it offers.

The above two cars are superior than Renault Kwid so they will be a better buy.

If you want look beyond the list, give a shot to the Ignis AMT. If you can digest the looks of the car, it will provide you with better engine, good FE and a car from the upper segment. With the discounts being offered, it would easily fit in your budget too.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 15:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

HELP!! HELP!! HELP!!!

Ok, now that i have your attention, need your inputs in choosing a car.

Background: we have 2007 alto LXi which needs an upgrade. The car is mainly used by my wife for daily office commuting in Bangalore traffic for 30 kms. Alto being 12 yrs old is in pretty loose shape and i was insisting on upgrading to an AMT for ease of daily city grind. Please note that wife is happy with the alto and does not feel the need to upgrade, but i think its better to get something safer, modern and with ease of amt. Both of us also have no experience with amt except for small test drives, its just that we have heard so much from everyone around that how amt makes life much easier in b2b city commuting. So the hunt began for a small amt hatch.

Considering 1.2L petrol engine as general benchmark, tested the new Santro amt, Tiago amt and Ignis amt. New santro has a very refined engine but somehow overall appeal was missing and esp with amt variant where even the top end has many missing features. So its mainly between Tiago XZA and Ignis Zeta petrol. Tiago felt well built and we liked the interiors. music system is a plus there. But the top end in amt again does not have many features such as auto folding rvms, alloys, touchscreen infotainment etc. The Ignis is priced a bit high and the design is a bit radical and different, but felt more spacious and ease to get in&out. The interiors are different as well and we sort of like it only. Better GC, bigger tyres, but more expensive in comparison. Top of the line Ignis Alpha amt is almost 1.5L more than Tiago, so the Zeta amt is in consideration which missed out on features such as projectors, DRLs, touch screen infotainment, climate control, height adjustable seat, and some more. But most these features are missing from the Tiago XZA as well. Main difference between the Tiago XZA and Ignis Zeta being 3 cylinder vs 4 of ignis, higher GC, tall-body design, auto folding rvms, and better colour options. Maruti having better resale value & service network is something that plays on mind too.

Would be helpful to hear from the guru as to which manes more sense. TIA.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 15:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
HELP!! HELP!! HELP!!!

New Maruti Wagon R just launched. Highly recommend you keep this car on top of your list - will work perfectly well for your requirements, and you will be buying this car in its 1st model year. Has tons of space, sits tall, easy to drive, and Wagon R has a fantastic brand name recall.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 15:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HELP!! HELP!! HELP!!!

Background: we have 2007 alto LXi which needs an upgrade. The car is mainly used by my wife for daily office commuting in Bangalore traffic for 30 kms. Alto being 12 yrs old is in pretty loose shape and i was insisting on upgrading to an AMT for ease of daily city grind. Please note that wife is happy with the alto and does not feel the need to upgrade, but i think its better to get something safer, modern and with ease of amt. Both of us also have no experience with amt except for small test drives, its just that we have heard so much from everyone around that how amt makes life much easier in b2b city commuting. So the hunt began for a small amt hatch.

Considering 1.2L petrol engine as general benchmark, tested the new Santro amt, Tiago amt and Ignis amt. New santro has a very refined engine but somehow overall appeal was missing and esp with amt variant where even the top end has many missing features. So its mainly between Tiago XZA and Ignis Zeta petrol. Tiago felt well built and we liked the interiors. music system is a plus there. But the top end in amt again does not have many features such as auto folding rvms, alloys, touchscreen infotainment etc. The Ignis is priced a bit high and the design is a bit radical and different, but felt more spacious and ease to get in&out. The interiors are different as well and we sort of like it only. Better GC, bigger tyres, but more expensive in comparison. Top of the line Ignis Alpha amt is almost 1.5L more than Tiago, so the Zeta amt is in consideration which missed out on features such as projectors, DRLs, touch screen infotainment, climate control, height adjustable seat, and some more. But most these features are missing from the Tiago XZA as well. Main difference between the Tiago XZA and Ignis Zeta being 3 cylinder vs 4 of ignis, higher GC, tall-body design, auto folding rvms, and better colour options. Maruti having better resale value & service network is something that plays on mind too.

Check out the new Wagon R, falls in the same price bracket.
Same engine as the Ignis. It is more spacious as well.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 16:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New Maruti Wagon R just launched. Highly recommend you keep this car on top of your list - will work perfectly well for your requirements, and you will be buying this car in its 1st model year. Has tons of space, sits tall, easy to drive, and Wagon R has a fantastic brand name recall.
Quote:
Check out the new Wagon R, falls in the same price bracket.
Same engine as the Ignis. It is more spacious as well.
We saw the newly launched Wagon R and it did make a case but somehow my wife did not like how the car looks, both exterior and interior, and she is the one who will be using the car daily. :( So did not even test drive it.

She like the Tiago in the titanum grey and all black interiors with a bit of body coloured highlights inside. The other colour she liked for Tiago was silver which did have a taxi ish outlook. The idea is not to have a big or spacious car, the more compact, the better for daily commuting, parking etc. Just that Ignis gave feel of space and easy access which felt nice and the oldies in the family may find it appealing on their occasional drives.

Price difference of about 55k between Tiago XZA and the Ignis Zeta is not a deal breaker, provided the 4 cylinder K12 amt engine makes for a stronger case over Tiagos 3 cylinder amt. Planning for another round of back to back test drives this weekend and hoping that would give some more clarity.
Old 8th February 2019, 17:57   #40
BHPian

Looks aside, the Ignis AMT will be a much better option IMO. I wanted a car with similar requirements for my father who was upgrading from a 12 year old esteem last year. Bought the Ignis zeta manual and he is really happy with the car.
One more thing, a rumour is out about Maruti stopping the production of Ignis to make way for the facelift model. Grab the chance and steal maximum discounts possible and maybe get the alpha AMT in the price of Zeta AMT!
True the price difference is huge between both the trims but if the discounts are good enough, those gorgeous LED lights, height adjustable seats and funky looking ACC are worth upgrading for.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 18:49   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HELP!! HELP!! HELP!!!

Honestly both the cars would suit your needs pretty well, so it is mostly up to you and your wife to decide which one you like better. Make a detailed list of feature differences between the two and see if there are any deal breakers in either one.

The Ignis would be a segment higher if that is a relevant point. The AMT on the Ignis I believe would be a wee bit better. But if I am in your shoes, I would buy the Tiago purely because I like it better.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 18:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks aside, the Ignis AMT will be a much better option IMO. I wanted a car with similar requirements for my father who was upgrading from a 12 year old esteem last year. Bought the Ignis zeta manual and he is really happy with the car.
Ignis is what we are leaning towards too, mainly for the 4pot engine, and maruti peace of mind factor as the old alto is also from maruti stable and served well for last 12 yrs. Alpha is really loaded with features and would definitely make sense is there is a good discount.
Quote:
The Ignis would be a segment higher if that is a relevant point. The AMT on the Ignis I believe would be a wee bit better. But if I am in your shoes, I would buy the Tiago purely because I like it better.
Yep! they both dont differ drastically interns of features, performance, amt feel, etc and i guess we cant go wrong with either of them. A couple of more back to back test drives would hopefully help make a pick.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 8th February 2019 at 18:57.
Old 8th February 2019, 20:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
HELP!! HELP!! HELP!!!
Have you considered the Hyundai Grand i10 AT? It will be available at a price lesser or on par with the Ignis AMT. It also has a better TC Transmission, better quality and a little more goodies too! Plus the Engine is a 4 pot so I think it will be the best of both worlds.
porsche_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 14:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

i10 somehow did not feature in our scheme of things as we already have an i20 active at home. Took test drive of Ignis amt yesterday at electronic city nexa and came out with mixed feeling and confusion one of which is whether to really consider amt or just go for a manual. the car is nice and roomy and seats are good, but not too happy with interiors and features, except alpha which @ 9.1 OTR in Bangalore just does not make sense. Wife is used to manual and not very keep towards amt as going by few test drives she is taken, she found that the car was doing its own things and not fully in her control. So plan to test drive the manual tiago XZ+ which is loaded with features. Also considering JTP as well and will try and test drive if available. If the engine is not very far from smooth, may just go with one of them.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 22:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wife is used to manual and not very keep towards amt as going by few test drives she is taken, she found that the car was doing its own things and not fully in her control. So plan to test drive the manual tiago XZ+ which is loaded with features. Also considering JTP as well and will try and test drive if available. If the engine is not very far from smooth, may just go with one of them.
If not comfortable with AMT, would suggest to try out one of the CVT's. Baleno, Jazz, i20. With the way Bangalore traffic is going, an automatic makes the best sense.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks