Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which B2 segment hatchback would you choose?
Maruti Swift 62 12.86%
Hyundai Grand i10 11 2.28%
Hyundai Elite i20 112 23.24%
Maruti Baleno 71 14.73%
Maruti Ignis 8 1.66%
Honda Jazz 36 7.47%
Volkswagen Polo 73 15.15%
Ford Figo 92 19.09%
Other (please specify in your post) 17 3.53%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2018, 09:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Swift vs the others

I might still pick a diesel from this segment, because the petrols are rather boring except for one or two.

Diesel - Ford Freestyle. Even more value than the Figo and fun to drive - just need to pull out those roof rails to make it look like a hot hatch. I don't mind the added GC look because that makes it extremely practical in the Indian context.

Petrol - Polo GT TSi - because none of the other petrols excite. I mostly wouldn't buy one though - as the amount of car I get in exchange of my Punto would be rather less for the money I would need to pay - and both are old platforms now. Maruti Suzuki - where is that Swift Sport which is rumoured to launch since a decade?

Elite i20 would the choice if I were to purchase the car for the family (read parents).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
EDIT 2 - A part of me is sad that a Punto didn't make it to either the Poll List or my list.
Not really - and this coming from an owner. Cars get outdated just like every other piece of tech and FIAT hasn't updated theirs. Competitors have moved multiple generations since then. This is what happens when you fail to upgrade as per the times.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 09:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

A tough poll. I would call this poll common people's dilemma. B2 segment is the hottest segment. This poll was actually my story some 25 days back and we Voted/bought a petrol WR-V.

We bought a WR-V, that was a decision taken by heart. If I am really in the market to buy a car from B2 Segment, I would be confused between a Baleno and i20. i20 is a nice and practical option but my final pick would be a Baleno.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:07   #18
A M
BHPian

None. As of now, I'll reserve my decision till the updated Figo hits the market. If I have to choose right now, I would pick the Freestyle diesel, so voted for "Other".

On another note, I don't see any reason for choosing Grand i10 anymore (no offence to anyone). Neither it has the power nor the space for the price it retails for. In petrol avatar, the Swift kills it with the fun to drive factor and the K12 engine while offering similar/better kit variant to variant at the same price. In the diesel guise, Freestyle murders it till the new Figo arrives and takes over the job. The kit on the updated Figo is expected to be on par/better than the Grand i10 while bettering it in price.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would have voted for Freestyle as the pricing is out now followed by that is i20 Elite. Swift is not a match anymore IMHO.

Yes brand pull of Maruti is beyond comparison and thus when a product like Swift is offered with all bells & whistles, there is nothing that will stop it from becoming a segment leader.

Personally both i20 Elite & Freestyle may provide a better experience to the user over the product life cycle.

Last edited by i74js : 27th April 2018 at 11:09.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 11:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tough poll, to be honest.

Diesel MT - Elite i20 or Ford Figo S (both have fantastic engines).
I currently drive the 1.6 GT TDI, and the only car that I would swap my car with in today's market is the Figo S 1.5 TDCI

I am a huge fan of Fast Hatches, and ever since I bought the GT, the Diesel has become the preferred Engine/Fuel.
And I think Figo S pretty much has everything that the GT sort of missed out on:

- 0-100 means nothing if the 100-0 is pathetic!!
- Just coz its a German product, VW cannot charge Indian customers in Pound equivalent.
- Boot light....yup, that is how much more the Figo offers.

I would have voted for I20 CRDI, but the latest facelift is just awful (IMO).
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 11:33   #21
BHPian

With so many options in the B2 Segment, a poll was imminent on TeamBHP and here it is. And Boy, its a tough call!!
To make the job easier, i feel that a separate poll should have been formulated for petrol and diesel category.

Restricting myself just to the drives available in the B2 Category,

Petrol MT- It is Swift Petrol VVT all the way. Fun to drive, VFM Proposition, a great mating of NA 1.2L fuel efficient motor to a manual tranny with great chassis makes it a winner in my view. With the reduced kerb weight, there is certain bump in Power to weight ratio too. No Doubt its a Corner Carver.

Diesel MT- It has to be Ford Figo Sports. 100 BHP with 200plus Torque is just too tasty along with the sorted Ford DNA Driving Dynamics makes it a clear winner.

I chose these purely on the basis of Fun to Drive factor, Engines and Transmissions. For me leg space, boot space, fit and finish, bells and whistles are all secondary. What matters is driving pleasure and Peace of mind in terms of service and availability of spares.

Automatic Transmission Choices- NIL.
My life is as such quite boring and i don't want to accentuate it further by driving an Auto. MT Rocks.
CornerCarver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 11:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki Swift petrol any day. This is the only car in this list that appeals to me. Immense fun for the driver, be it in a straight line or round corners. None of the cars in this group can hold a candle to the Swift's brilliant chassis and dynamics.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 12:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

My pick is Baleno. Why?? Here are the reasons -

1 It's a Maruti, hassle free service and peace of mind is guaranteed.
2 Spacious and cool looks.
3 Very good engines. Petrol is a real winner in this segment.
4 Good features at the price you pay.
5 Ride quality is good.
6 Very good boot space in this category, good for family use.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:19   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Very tough poll and after a lot of deliberating voted for the Polo. Makes me sad that with so many modern choices available I still have to 'settle' for the Polo.

I am an AT convert and the small hatch for me is a personal vehicle and not a family car. And no diesels, thank you.

Keeping the above in mind, if I look at AT's only...
- the AMTs are out of the picture.
- Baleno and Jazz CVTs don't excite
- Hyundai slushboxes + 1.2 engine combos are boring and the facelifted versions look bad.
- Figo's 1.5 petrol motor is easily overshadowed by VW's brilliant 1.2 TSI

But for the AT restriction, my choice would be the new Swift.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Petrol MT- the Swift K12, without a doubt. You certainly do not need oodles of power to have fun in a small chuckable hatchback. The free revving engine coupled with the sweet steering and gearbox combination, along with fairly tight handling, should provide plenty of smiles!

Diesel MT: Ford Figo. 100 bhp and 215 Nm with reasonable maintenance costs- self explanatory why this would top the list.

AT: Not my cup of tea yet, but I suppose the Polo TSI is the only real name to be reckoned with in this category.

My vote went to the Swift.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 12:50   #26
BHPian

Voted for the Polo. The GT TSi makes for an excellent city car. Yes the space in the back is non-existent but the Polo more than makes up for it with an unbeatable engine + transmission combo and mature handling. This combo also ensures that you stay entertained should you have to take this out on the highway.

The Swift Petrol would be my second choice. The engine has the right amount of pep and driving dynamics are top notch. IMO it is one of the best fun to drive hatchbacks in the market today.

If any of these cars was going to be my primary car, I would opt for the Baleno. It is almost as good as the Swift but with extra room for all passengers. Plus, Maruti's huge after sales network and general reliability translate into a no nonsense hassle free ownership.
Old 27th April 2018, 13:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Interesting poll results. My pick would be the Swift petrol MT. Not considering the GT Tsi, Baleno RS in this, as not only do they cost a fair bit more, but they also are turbo charged units. Not that I don't like turbo cars, but the 1.2 K-series engine is one of the best 1.2 units out there. And combine it with the manual GB, one can have lots of fun in the car. How I wish the VW offered a GT Tsi with the manual option!
Old 27th April 2018, 13:16   #28
BHPian

I'd choose Baleno! Why? read on

The rant part:

- Yes the i20 is the best overall (great package, pricey maintenance)

- Grand i10 (I just don't trust Hyundai)

- Polo is well made (3 pot petrol, VW's service reputation)

- Ford Figo/Aspire (non-existent dealer network, total VFM, that front grill is hypnotizing, I'm not certain if Ford is interested in selling cars in India. If the Japs/Koreans had a product like Figo/Aspire and that sweet Diesel, they'd be selling at least 30K cars per month for a decade),

- Swift (joke of a rear door, not the handle jugglery, the proportions of the rear door, where it starts and ends, ingress and egress). But if I was on a strict budget, I'd go for the middle variant petrol and upgrade the tyre.

- Ignis (the last of the tall boys, polarizing looks, expensive)

- Jazz (nothing is broken but god knows why its not selling)

I am just going to start looking for a second car, the Ritz is close to 90K Kms, my heart is set on the Scross (Call it cross over/glorified hatchback, I believe its the best package and the only thing available below 12Lakh, in which four adults and a kid would be comfortable).

I am definitely going to test drive Jazz/WRV(too close to SCross price wise) and Baleno CVT, Swift Z variant (not the z+, not a fan of the touch screen and that tomfoolery with the DRLs). If nothing from the above lists clicks, I am just going to get the Scross zeta (interest payments be damned).
Old 27th April 2018, 13:58   #29
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
I'd choose Baleno! Why? read on

- Jazz (nothing is broken but god knows why its not selling)

I am definitely going to test drive Jazz/WRV(too close to SCross price wise) and Baleno CVT, Swift Z variant (not the z+, not a fan of the touch screen and that tomfoolery with the DRLs). If nothing from the above lists clicks, I am just going to get the Scross zeta (interest payments be damned).
Thats the answer to your question. The problem with the Jazz is:

1. Price
2. Looks (subjective though, but it is not as good as its contemporaries). One of the reasons WRV is doing better than Jazz.
Old 27th April 2018, 14:36   #30
BANNED

Equally (Car off-course being the one) important is the variant that you land up picking, for me here are the most VFM options -

Diesel - Figo Titanium, the price and features are unmatched.
Petrol - i20 Era, at 5.80 OTR NCR, there is nothing that comes closer.

Hell, talk about inflation and pricing of the i20, in 2009 I had picked a Swift Vxi for 4.8 and 10 years hence, way better built car, ABD+EBD, 2 Airbags etc. at 1L more, would pick it up anyday.

For me i20 Era is most VFM hatchback in the market today, it blows the Maruti cans apart, the diesel i20 is way overpriced when you compare it with the petrol counterpart.

Last edited by Torquedo : 27th April 2018 at 14:37.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed