Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2006, 23:46   #1

Buying a Getz...GLS now or GVS after new year ?

Friends, I am in a tricky situation.

I had done some research and I had zeroed in on the Getz GVS. On road price offered by the dealer was 4.73 lakh from which he could give me a discount for 17k which made the effective price = 4.56 lakh which looked to me like excellent VFM.

Well, all was looking good, and I was about to book the car, when the dealer told me that they had only black color in stock for GVS model. I wanted silver color, they had silver color for GLS model, but that would push up the price by 27k. The extras in GLS are mostly cosmetic (body color this,that) + rear window wiper and defogger which I dont think is worth the extra price.

Now I'm confused whether to go for the GLS before new year...after new year I heard the prices will go up, but some 2% should be ok.

Or will they go up so significantly that I'll regret that I waited for new year?
I dont plan to sell the car for the next 4-5 years atleast, so it'll be a long term possession.

If the prices after new year are going to be near the 5 lakh mark, I might consider other options...baleno or accent.

I'll be driving only around 20 - 25kms a day on a average

Friends, please give your valuable advice..
Old 26th December 2006, 12:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

The GLS is definately not worth the extra money. Go for the GVS and add on from the aftermarket. But remember the GLS might fetch you better resale than the GVS albeit slightly.

Personally i think the Getz is overpriced in light of the swift. If possible stretch for a baleno or an accent. But if you want a hatch, do consider the swift also if you haven't already.

Drifter
Old 26th December 2006, 17:27   #3
BHPian

The GLS costs approximately 25k more than the GVS.

The GVS does not have a tachometer, rear wash/wipe & defogger, body colored door handles and ORVMs, a rear spoiler with stop lamp with a few others. Also the GVS rides on 155/80 R13 while the GLS comes with 175/70 R13.

Adding up most of these would easily cost you somewhere in the region on 25k. Also, if you go in for the GLS, you will not be paying for the extra equipment upfront and that amount will be financed by the bank.

In Pune, a 2006 manufactured GLS costs 4.91 lacs on road whereas the GVS would cost around 4.66 lacs including cash discounts + a few basic accesories + upgrade to tubeless tyres.

I suggest, get the 2006 GLS. You will also benefit in resale. I've done the same.

Last edited by hawkeye : 26th December 2006 at 17:29.
Old 26th December 2006, 17:43   #4
BHPian

Folks,

Is the Price of GLS is with ABS or not?Is ABS a standard feature in GLS?
Old 26th December 2006, 17:53   #5
BHPian

gulgulumaal ??? Nice name da.

If you can wait a bit longer than the new year month say till March, then according to reports ,new budget will see even more reduction in prices of cars such as Getz also... so all the best if u can wait... me too in the same league and i'm waiting till next budget.
Old 26th December 2006, 18:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

why dont you try a different dealer ? if not available in your town, check out the next town. there's bound to be a silver GVS somewhere
Old 26th December 2006, 18:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

try Popular if it was with Hilton you had inquired.

PM ram_hyundai too, he may have contacts.

If its teh only car; get Getz; else Swift ( damp cramped rear seats though)
Old 26th December 2006, 18:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv View Post
Folks,
Is the Price of GLS is with ABS or not?Is ABS a standard feature in GLS?
It's Non-ABS. And I believe GLS ABS is only make to order.
Old 26th December 2006, 18:59   #9

Thanks guys, for the responses.

Actually the dealer (from Popular) just called me up some time back and told me he can give another additional 10k cash discount on the GLS, which would reduce the price difference b/w GLS and GVS to 17k.

jkdas and esteem_lover, I tried both Popular and Hilton..both dont have
any GVS models in stock (except one black and one red color, both of which I'm not interested in). Those 2 are the main dealers in trivandrum.

Anyways, now that the difference is only 17k, I've decided to go for Getz GLS.

Raajiv, the price quoted for GLS does not have ABS and airbags. Those are present in the top end version only.

Just one more doubt...I asked the dealer if I can buy the car now and register it in 2007. He said it's possible, but insurance premium will increase by some 10k and it will be clearly written in the RC book that the date of manufacture is 2006. Do u people think it's worth doing that, given that I'll most probably be using this car for 4-5 years ?

Also the dealer said that, till March 2007, all Getz models sold will be the ones manufactured in 2006, so even if someone purchases a Getz in say Feb 2007, it would have been manufactured in 2006. Doesnt sound very convincing!!...then why would anyone buy a car in Jan-Feb period.

Thanks ramki, I guess my user name more or less reflects the situation I am in
Old 26th December 2006, 19:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulgulumaal View Post
Just one more doubt...I asked the dealer if I can buy the car now and register it in 2007. He said it's possible, but insurance premium will increase by some 10k and it will be clearly written in the RC book that the date of manufacture is 2006. Do u people think it's worth doing that, given that I'll most probably be using this car for 4-5 years ?
You can certainly do a 2007 registration but I think there's something fishy with the insurance thingy. Check out with a couple of insurance companies yourself and tell the dealer that you may want to get the insurance done privately. My dealer is offering me a 2007 registration without any price increase for insurance out here. It doesn't seem the insurance costs / hikes would vary accross different states.
Old 26th December 2006, 20:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

try the other Hilton centre ( Kollam one). Even if you buy the car in 07, it would be a 06 car as the dealer4 said or you would hev to wait for few more months I guess.
Old 27th December 2006, 09:00   #12
BHPian

@gulgulumaal,

The ABS and Airbags are available on Made to order in GLS just as Hawkeye suggested.I have seen many GLS with ABS sticker in the rear.
Old 27th December 2006, 09:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Personally i think the Getz is overpriced in light of the swift.
Now thats really funny... considering most of the Getz parts are made in Korea and the cars build quality is like light years ahead of the Swift. Strip both cars down and you will see clear as day what I mean.
Old 27th December 2006, 10:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Haha gunbir, i never said that the build quality of the getz was bad....but then the swift's build quality ain't bad either. Agreed the swift is more prone to rattle than the getz over extended use. But it still doesn't justify that much of a premium and it shows in its (getz) sales every month.

Drifter
Old 27th December 2006, 10:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Haha gunbir, i never said that the build quality of the getz was bad....but then the swift's build quality ain't bad either. Agreed the swift is more prone to rattle than the getz over extended use. But it still doesn't justify that much of a premium and it shows in its (getz) sales every month.

Drifter
If you think the Swifts build quality isnt bad... then my friend, I will politely excuse myself from this discussion...

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks