Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2018, 01:06   #1
BHPian

Hyundai: Elite i20 CVT vs Grand i10 AT?

Hello.

We currently have a Hyundai Verna SX (O) MT, Ford EcoSport Titanium AT and a Hyundai Santro in the family, the latter of which is seventeen years old and needs to be replaced with a new automatic hatchback. The car will primarily be self driven by my father within the city and on trips to an ashram on the outskirts of the city, on broken undulating village-like roads.

After having considered everything from the Renault Kwid to the Elite i20, we've shortlisted the two Hyundai siblings. Here are the criteria:

1. Quality Automatic: My father is insisting on a manual because he doesn't want the higher upfront and maintenance costs that come with an automatic, but I know he enjoys driving the EcoSport and have decided that I'll only let him buy an automatic. But given his reservations, it has to be a quality auto transmission, so he never misses the manual gearbox.

2. Price: He'd specified a budget of ₹6 lac (ex-showroom), but given that the only automatics available within that bracket are mostly from Maruti and entirely AMTs, I'm going to convince him to move it up a notch to ₹7 lac.

3. Everything Else: With those two important criteria out of the way, everything else is a good-to-have-but-not-terribly-important feature.

Given that the Elite i20 (Magna Executive) is a higher segment car at nearly the same price as the Grand i10 (Sportz), I've mostly made up my mind in favour of it, but I'd love to read some opinions from seasoned BHPians anyway. Are there any other vehicles I should be considering? Am I making the right choice?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by aryayush : 19th June 2018 at 01:09.
Old 19th June 2018, 01:44   #2
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai: Elite i20 CVT vs Grand i10 AT?

The i20 Magna is too basic. I wouldn't suggest you to go for the i20 unless you can stretch for the Asta variant. If not the Grand i10, I'd suggest the Baleno Delta.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 02:21   #3
BHPian

Since its not a primary car, I would suggest Grand i10. It has way too many features above i20 Magna which are useful. Plus, there are almost always offers running on i10, I am sure you would get a better deal than newly launched i20 CVT, and closer to what a 6 lakh ex showroom car would cost.

What you miss on i20
  1. Front Fog Lamps
  2. Daytime Running Lights
  3. Alloy Wheels
  4. Turn Indicators on Outside Mirrors
  5. Parcel tray
  6. Touchscreen audio system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and Bluetooth
  7. Steering mounted audio control
  8. Electric Folding outside mirrors
autorahul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 07:11   #4
BANNED

Always choose a car with the highest possible variant in your budget.

The i20 Magna would be cheaper inside than the Grand i10 Sportz.

I'll vote for the Grand i10 for it's size to be used in city conditions and also will have more features competed to i20 Magna.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 07:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd go with the grand i10 as driver visibility is much better in the i10 compared to the i20. That makes driving so much easier in the city traffic.

Also it will have much more bells and whistles for the same money. That gives that feel good factor in the cabin.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 08:46   #6
BHPian

Wow, I'm surprised that the universal feedback is to go for the smaller, lower segment car. Thanks to all of you for the replies. I'm very seriously considering changing my choice now.

Since cars with automatic transmissions aren't available for test drives in my city, is the Grand i10, with its four-speed torque convertor automatic, better than the Elite i20's CVT to drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Since its not a primary car, I would suggest Grand i10. It has way too many features above i20 Magna which are useful. Plus, there are almost always offers running on i10, I am sure you would get a better deal than newly launched i20 CVT, and closer to what a 6 lakh ex showroom car would cost.
That, at least, is not true. One of the Hyundai dealers in my city is running an offer right now where we can exchange our Santro for a pretty attractive discount on a new Hyundai vehicle, and the Elite i20 is being offered with a higher discount than the Grand i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
What you miss on i20
  1. Front Fog Lamps
  2. Daytime Running Lights
  3. Alloy Wheels
  4. Turn Indicators on Outside Mirrors
  5. Parcel tray
  6. Touchscreen audio system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and Bluetooth
  7. Steering mounted audio control
  8. Electric Folding outside mirrors
Most of the features that are useful on this list can be added post purchase, and my father strictly does not need a touchscreen audio system with steering mounted controls. If anything, the controls would get in the way and frustrate him on occasions. The only truly useful feature would be the electric folding mirrors, that we'd miss, but given that he's used to driving the Santro, the car would still be a stonking upgrade overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Always choose a car with the highest possible variant in your budget.

The i20 Magna would be cheaper inside than the Grand i10 Sportz.
I know that's the general rule and have always followed it in the past, but in this instance, given that the Grand i10 does not have an automatic transmission in its Asta variant, is the difference really that pronounced? It seems to me that the Elite i20 has most of the features of the Sportz variant anyway. And even the Elite i20 does not have an automatic transmission in the highest trim level, if we were to consider upgrading our budget further. Since there's no way we can get an automatic from Hyundai with keyless entry and other smarts that come with the Asta variant anyway, why not buy the larger, more prestigious and more recently launched vehicle?
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 09:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Wow, I'm surprised that the universal feedback is to go for the smaller, lower segment car. Thanks to all of you for the replies. I'm very seriously considering changing my choice now.
Since there's no way we can get an automatic from Hyundai with keyless entry and other smarts that come with the Asta variant anyway, why not buy the larger, more prestigious and more recently launched vehicle?

I think the Grand i10 automatic has the keyless entry system and other goodies; unless Hyundai has discontinued them recently.

Last edited by mvadg : 19th June 2018 at 09:11.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 09:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

There are couple of features in i20 Asta or Baleno Zeta CVT that you can't retrofit at the ACC and Tilt/Telescopic steering. Both are about a lakh above what you are planning.

If you have the Vitamin M to go for the i20 Asta or Baleno Zeta, its a much better deal than settling for the i20 Magna Executive/i10 Sportz Opt.

The CVTs would drive better than a torque converter mated to a lower powered engine like the Hyundai 1.2. Since you are coming from a Hyundai, you'll also live with its infamous FE

Last edited by narayans80 : 19th June 2018 at 09:40.
narayans80 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 10:07   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm going against the tide here and will recommend the Elite i20. It's from a segment above and it shows. The CVT is smooth & seamless and it'll be less of a fuel guzzler than the i10's torque-converter automatic. Would also like to believe that the i20 is safer than the i10.

The other cars in your house (Verna, EcoSport) are well-equipped variants and I'd recommend spending a bit more to get the right variant. But even if you don't, I'd still suggest the i20's lower variant.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm going against the tide here and will recommend the Elite i20. It's from a segment above and it shows. The CVT is smooth & seamless and it'll be less of a fuel guzzler than the i10's torque-converter automatic. Would also like to believe that the i20 is safer than the i10.
+1 to what GTO said.I would totally agree. I was a proud owner of i20 Asta and survived an accident miraculously last year just because of safe car. Post accident, i drove multiple cars from Car Rentals (Zoom/Revv etc) and Grand i10 was one of it. And i can easily make out how safe and better i20 is, compared to Grand i10 from structural built and stability wise.
Not that Grand i10 is unsafe car and it is also of good built compared to competition, but i20 is far superior between the two.

As GTO said, go for i20. You already have other "feature rich" cars. So this one for your Dad need not be an additional feature rich car, but what is important is more safer car is what i will opine based on my personal experience.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 01:29   #11
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. We decided to go with the Grand i10 after all. The two things that ultimately decided it for us were price and the fact that my father wanted a small car that was easy to maneuver in city traffic, and hence an ideal replacement for the venerable Santro.

On the price front, my brother had mistakenly assumed that Hyundai was offering discounts on the Elite i20 because it was doing so on most of the other cars, but obviously, there was not a single rupee's worth of discount to be had on the just launched car. We'd already placed the order with one dealer in the city that was offering us a ₹1,05,000 discount on the Grand i10, including the exchange value of the Santro, but then ended up going with another that offered us ₹1,40,000 instead (saving a full ₹35,000). We bought it in red and the car will be delivered next week.

Here are the pros of the vehicle, as per my understanding:
  • Cheapest torque converter automatic in India.
  • Good performance versus the competition.
  • Comfortable seats and practical storage.
  • Well designed, classy interiors.
  • Light steering and small, easy-to-drive car.

And these are the cons:
  • Fuel monster with a mileage of around 7 KMPL.
  • Lacking the fifth gear ratio.
  • Ground clearance of only 165 mm.
  • Not available in the top spec trim.
  • Inadequate safety equipment.

Although we did spend some time pondering over the financial implications of having two petrol guzzling automatics in the family (the other being the Ford EcoSport), the pros of the vehicle and the undeniable fact that it simply has no direct peer in its price range ended up sealing the decision for us.
Old 21st December 2018, 15:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by
And these are the cons:[LIST
[*]Fuel monster with a mileage of around 7 KMPL.[*]Lacking the fifth gear ratio.[*]Ground clearance of only 165 mm.[*]Not available in the top spec trim.[*]Inadequate safety equipment.[/list]
Hi! I was in the exact same situation as you and i ended up booking the i20 Elite Magna Executive CVT.
The basic dilemma was with you was of a huge amount, but in my case it was much simpler.
Grand i10 Auto(4speed) Sports(0) is available for 7L INR onroad in Jodhpur. And the i20 Magna Executive CVT is available fro 7.5L INR onroad. These prices include the 4th year extended warranty as well.
By paying 50k more i upgraded to a better car, albeit with much lesser features.
I missed out on the following things by not getting the Grand i10:
1. AVN music system.
2. Alloy wheels.
3. Reverse camera and parking sensors.
4. Remote-in-key central locking.
5. Bluetooth.
6. Chrome handles.
7. Auto folding ORVMs.
There could be more features i am missing out here, but for me i'd rather compromise on the features rather than compromising on the overall class/category of car. And to me personally, the basic features in i20 are okay as of now. Whatever is needed like bluetooth, camera and remote-key entry can be added with very little cost.
Old 6th April 2019, 23:27   #13
BHPian

I register my vote for the i20. Better car, better safety, better gearbox, the things that you're missing out seem to be mostly aesthetic.

Most Viewed